kidney support supplements?

darkvard

Awards
Never hear of those im currently using lithium orotate for adhd Heard it might hurt the kidney would anyone know any solution for prevention?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Things like cranberry juice and sesamin are supposed to help kidney function, bt I'm always scepticle of supplements really protecting our organs from harsh chemicals.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pure cranberry juice can help. also good ol h2o. drink over a gallon a day, but i never exceed 2 gallons simply because of isotonic and hypertonic solutes in the body and stuff. also, u can lover your sodium intake so the sodium isnt quenching on the water you are wanting to use for kidney health

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
actually, cranberry juice has a chemical in it that actually promotes the growth of kidney stones. i had a bout with stones last year and my endo informed me of this.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whats the ingredient and whats ur source of this? i know for a fact it at least cleans out your system. this is why drug users, not hardcore ones though, drink alot of it to clear there system before a drug test

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
kidney is very sensitive and difficult to recover from damage, unlike liver.
i think the best way is to avoid overloading of kidneys... and
1. don't take herbs product that you don't know well.
2. watch closely to your blood pressure and blood sugar
3. keep yourself from cold and flu as possible

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^ all good points right there. the liver is the only organ that can heal itself so if u screw up your kidney, your screwed. but the good side is you can function with only one

Tyler3295

Awards
kidney is very sensitive and difficult to recover from damage, unlike liver.
i think the best way is to avoid overloading of kidneys... and
1. don't take herbs product that you don't know well.
2. watch closely to your blood pressure and blood sugar
3. keep yourself from cold and flu as possible
Wow.. I didn't think about taking herbs damaging the kidney. Guess I need to watch for that..

Pounditz

Awards
Bumped up, but was curious if anyone off the top of their head specifically knew what herbs were notoriously rough on the kidneys???

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumped up, but was curious if anyone off the top of their head specifically knew what herbs were notoriously rough on the kidneys???
Don't know of any, but I know milk thistle is gtg for kidneys.

The pharmacologically active components of the plant Silybum marianum are the flavonolignans, silibinin and silichristin. It has been shown that these compounds can be used successfully in therapy to promote faster regeneration of diseased liver. The biochemical mechanism for this cell-regenerating power has been elucidated. It has been demonstrated that silibinin stimulates the activity of the DNA-dependent RNA-polymerase I, thus causing an increase in rRNA synthesis and an accelerated formation of intact ribosomes. The consequence of this stimulation is a general increase in the rate of synthesis of all cellular proteins. Molecular modelling revealed that silibinin may imitate a steroid hormone by binding specifically to polymerase I, thus stimulating the enzyme activity. The molecular mechanism described has been demonstrated in experiments with rat and mice liver in vivo, with hepatocyte cultures, isolated liver nuclei, and purified enzyme and receptor proteins in vitro. The increase in protein synthesis offers a good explanation for the liver-regenerating power of the plant extract. Similar results have been recently found with human and monkey kidney cells.

Xenonex

Xenonex

Awards
actually, cranberry juice has a chemical in it that actually promotes the growth of kidney stones. i had a bout with stones last year and my endo informed me of this.
Do you have any source for this? Because cranberry juice can only promote kidney stones in people who are already susceptible towards getting stones. If you are healthy, you will be fine. Spinach is the same btw.

Pounditz

Awards
Are the stones formed from the Oxalic Acid that is contained in cranberry and spinach? I could have sworn thats where i have heard the concern come from, but im not placing any bets on that.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep a steady intake of fluids coming in your body, don't flud your body with fluids at one point and strain your kidneys.

ALWAYS keep your blood pressure and blood sugar in check. I take 5mg of Vasotec, an Ace Inhibitor to protect my kidneys in addition to 12.5mg of hctz to prevent a fluid overloaded state when on hormones that cause retention.

Mike