quercetin makes supplements better? - AnabolicMinds.com

quercetin makes supplements better?

  1. New Member
    darkvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    quercetin makes supplements better?


    Would quercetin extend the half life of all supplements? also would other supplements do the same?

  2. Senior Member
    CrazyChemist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    1546

    Reputation

    Quercetin is a chromophore of the flavonol classification. I find a limited number of studies on its benefits as an anti-inflammatory but no studies indicating it has synergistic effects with other meds/supps. Can you explain why you think it would extend the half life of any, let alone all, supplements? Can you provide a study?
    Back.... for real this time
  3. New Member
    darkvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    disables cp 450 (maybe misspelled)
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    liquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    Rep Power
    75829

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChemist View Post
    Quercetin is a chromophore of the flavonol classification. I find a limited number of studies on its benefits as an anti-inflammatory but no studies indicating it has synergistic effects with other meds/supps. Can you explain why you think it would extend the half life of any, let alone all, supplements? Can you provide a study?
    I don't remember much, but I remember reading something that it slows the breakdown of steroids within the liver.

    So it seems like it may be like grapefruit juice where it slows things down and stay within longer.
  5. New Member
    darkvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    I did notice caffeine lasted longer when i used it so would this make any supplement last longer?
    also would other supplements do this? (ie stack it)
  6. Advanced Member
    OnTheRoadTo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    678
    Rep Power
    435

    Reputation

    IMO you're feeling an energy boost from the quercetin, not necessarily from caffeine. The answer is yes, you should be careful using quercetin with certain supplements.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_grapefruit

    http://www.ergo-log.com/grapefruit.html
    Paging Dr. Banner. . .
  7. Senior Member
    rulk22's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  267 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    23081

    Reputation

    I used this to get rid of my gout. Permanant in my arsenal now.
  8. New Member
    darkvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    pretty sure the only side effect of quercetin is it sucks potassium dry which is why i take some
  9. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13343

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    I don't remember much, but I remember reading something that it slows the breakdown of steroids within the liver.

    So it seems like it may be like grapefruit juice where it slows things down and stay within longer.
    I find this interesting because if it has similar properties to grapefruit , then in his book "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Dr Shippen -a book covering the male andropause, grapefruit is a fruit to be avoided because it also slows down the clearance of estrogen from the liver.
    I would have to question based on this, why quercitin is included in some pct products-Stoked -to name one and others of similar make-up.Coming off a cycle , isnt there an excess of estrogen ?So why hinder clearance of it from the liver?
  10. New Member
    darkvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    I find this interesting because if it has similar properties to grapefruit , then in his book "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Dr Shippen -a book covering the male andropause, grapefruit is a fruit to be avoided because it also slows down the clearance of estrogen from the liver.
    I would have to question based on this, why quercitin is included in some pct products-Stoked -to name one and others of similar make-up.Coming off a cycle , isnt there an excess of estrogen ?So why hinder clearance of it from the liver?
    because it almost doubles the bio availability maybe?
  11. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13343

    Reputation

    just researched quercetin a bit more and it would be hard to avoid this altogether if we like variety in our food , this was taken from Wilkipedia
    "Foods rich in quercetin include capers (1800 mg/kg)[13], lovage (1700 mg/kg), apples (44 mg/kg), tea (Camellia sinensis), onion, especially red onion (higher concentrations of quercetin occur in the outermost rings[14]), red grapes, citrus fruit, tomato, broccoli and other leafy green vegetables, and a number of berries including cherry, raspberry, bog whortleberry (158 mg/kg, fresh weight), lingonberry (cultivated 74 mg/kg, wild 146 mg/kg), cranberry (cultivated 83 mg/kg, wild 121 mg/kg), chokeberry (89 mg/kg), sweet rowan (85 mg/kg), rowanberry (63 mg/kg), sea buckthorn berry (62 mg/kg), crowberry (cultivated 53 mg/kg, wild 56 mg/kg),[15] and the fruit of the prickly pear cactus. A recent study found that organically grown tomatoes had 79% more quercetin than "conventionally grown".[

    Ive also seen it listed as phytoestrogen quote Quercetin is considered a phytoestrogen (i.e., a plant substance with similar functions as that of estrogen ). Some phytoestrogens are believed also to have antiestrogenic effects that might lead to reduced risks of certain cancers.un quote ;source http://www.online-vitamins-guide.com.../quercetin.htm

    So if it is antiestrogenic i can see why its included in supps such as Stoked but what i carnt understand is if it does slow the clearing process of estrogen down , does one cancel out the other?
    Last edited by corsaking; 03-15-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added text
  12. Senior Member
    Knowbull's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,754
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by darkvard View Post
    Would quercetin extend the half life of all supplements? also would other supplements do the same?
    Resveratrol combined with MCT Quercetin, in equal amounts may do this. Also good for PCT and long term, cycled, supplementation.
  13. Board Sponsor
    poison's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,904
    Rep Power
    37730

    Reputation

    Quercitin is not naringin, which is from grapefruit. Quercitin is a potent anti-oxidant and anti-histamine, iirc. Grapefruit/narigin increase the effectiveness of MANY drugs, so much so that you'll see warnings on the drugs affected about grapefruit, and it can cause an overdoae.quercitin does not use the same mechanism of action in the body, I'm pretty sure. Now piperine...that's another one.
  14. AI Sports Nutrition
    A_I_Sports_Nutrition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    6934

    Reputation

    We use it in Stoked/PCS because it helps with bio-availbility of Trans-Res.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  15. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13343

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    We use it in Stoked/PCS because it helps with bio-availbility of Trans-Res.
    Was that your only consideration when deciding on the supplement.

    what information have you got to back that up?
  16. AI Sports Nutrition
    A_I_Sports_Nutrition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    6934

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    Was that your only consideration when deciding on the supplement.

    what information have you got to back that up?
    No it is not the only reason but one of them.



    http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...s-resveratrol/
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  17. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13343

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    No it is not the only reason but one of them.



    http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...s-resveratrol/
    I did further research on the above web site and reservatrol isnt all its made out to be
    Again i question whether enough research is being done by a supplement company before they come out with their products
    Estrogenic Effects
    Resveratrol has been shown to both inhibit and activate estrogen receptors in studies, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Estrogen-dependent cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer, require estrogen hormones in order to grow. For this reason resveratrol could theoretically aggravate certain cancers with its mild estrogenic effect.

    Anticoagulant Activity
    Resveratrol has been shown to have anticoagulant activity in vitro. Due to this blood-thinning effect, resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding when combined with anticoagulant and anti-platelet drugs, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Based on this theory, resveratrol could also interact with blood pressure medication, causing dangerous low blood pressure levels.

    Cytochrome Inhibition
    According to the Linus Pauling Institute, resveratrol may increase the bioavailability and therefore toxicity of certain drugs. If potent pharmaceutical drugs are more bioactive, they will be better absorbed, causing potential overdosage. Resveratrol may interact with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, anti-histimines and erectile dysfunction medications.

    There are some other anecdotal effects reported by resveratrol users. Joint pain, tendonitis, stomach cramping and/or decreased appetite have occurred. Another possible side effect may be a jittery, caffeine-like feeling, which may be accompanied by insomnia. Diarrhea and numbness in the extremities have also been reported, according to Web For Health.com.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...s-resveratrol/

    Although there is a caution note on the label , the company is not making users aware of the above.
  18. AI Sports Nutrition
    A_I_Sports_Nutrition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    6934

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    I did further research on the above web site and reservatrol isnt all its made out to be
    Again i question whether enough research is being done by a supplement company before they come out with their products
    Estrogenic Effects
    Resveratrol has been shown to both inhibit and activate estrogen receptors in studies, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Estrogen-dependent cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer, require estrogen hormones in order to grow. For this reason resveratrol could theoretically aggravate certain cancers with its mild estrogenic effect.

    Anticoagulant Activity
    Resveratrol has been shown to have anticoagulant activity in vitro. Due to this blood-thinning effect, resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding when combined with anticoagulant and anti-platelet drugs, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Based on this theory, resveratrol could also interact with blood pressure medication, causing dangerous low blood pressure levels.

    Cytochrome Inhibition
    According to the Linus Pauling Institute, resveratrol may increase the bioavailability and therefore toxicity of certain drugs. If potent pharmaceutical drugs are more bioactive, they will be better absorbed, causing potential overdosage. Resveratrol may interact with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, anti-histimines and erectile dysfunction medications.

    There are some other anecdotal effects reported by resveratrol users. Joint pain, tendonitis, stomach cramping and/or decreased appetite have occurred. Another possible side effect may be a jittery, caffeine-like feeling, which may be accompanied by insomnia. Diarrhea and numbness in the extremities have also been reported, according to Web For Health.com.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...s-resveratrol/

    Although there is a caution note on the label , the company is not making users aware of the above.
    Your in the vast minority bro. Many people love it and it it used by more than BB if you do not like it that is fine and your right to a opinion. I have used it a lot and got none of the side effected mentioned there. In fact I get hungry as hell. If you want to pick apart any compound it can be done easily. Have a good day.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  19. Senior Member
    Knowbull's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,754
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    I did further research on the above web site and reservatrol isnt all its made out to be
    Again i question whether enough research is being done by a supplement company before they come out with their products
    Estrogenic Effects
    Resveratrol has been shown to both inhibit and activate estrogen receptors in studies, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Estrogen-dependent cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer, require estrogen hormones in order to grow. For this reason resveratrol could theoretically aggravate certain cancers with its mild estrogenic effect.

    Anticoagulant Activity
    Resveratrol has been shown to have anticoagulant activity in vitro. Due to this blood-thinning effect, resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding when combined with anticoagulant and anti-platelet drugs, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Based on this theory, resveratrol could also interact with blood pressure medication, causing dangerous low blood pressure levels.

    Cytochrome Inhibition
    According to the Linus Pauling Institute, resveratrol may increase the bioavailability and therefore toxicity of certain drugs. If potent pharmaceutical drugs are more bioactive, they will be better absorbed, causing potential overdosage. Resveratrol may interact with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, anti-histimines and erectile dysfunction medications.

    There are some other anecdotal effects reported by resveratrol users. Joint pain, tendonitis, stomach cramping and/or decreased appetite have occurred. Another possible side effect may be a jittery, caffeine-like feeling, which may be accompanied by insomnia. Diarrhea and numbness in the extremities have also been reported, according to Web For Health.com.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...s-resveratrol/

    Although there is a caution note on the label , the company is not making users aware of the above.
    Resveratrol and Quercetin work! Any sides usually dissipate with continued use. Always use the purest of both. A good PCT is lacking without Resveratrol. If Resveratrol is used daily as a staple shut-down can be minimal. JMO and IME
  20. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513131

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I've been taking rez/quercitin for quite awhile. I don't take any meds so its not an issue. Have had dry joints at higher doses, but overall the combo makes me feel awesome mentally and physically. It has literally taken my endurance training to an all new level..and makes it feel great to boot.

    But yeah, I researched all the same cautions etc and keep them as a consideration.
  21. BBB
    BBB is offline
    Senior Member
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,867
    Rep Power
    321365

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    Your in the vast minority bro. Many people love it and it it used by more than BB if you do not like it that is fine and your right to a opinion. I have used it a lot and got none of the side effected mentioned there. In fact I get hungry as hell. If you want to pick apart any compound it can be done easily. Have a good day.
    That doesn't mean he's wrong. Dr Dinoiii has researched this issue extensively and agrees with estrogenic potential of Res. I have seen various sites selling this product and many warn of potential estrogenic side effects. I have personally decided to wait until more conclusive, well designed studies have been conducted.
  22. Senior Member
    Knowbull's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,754
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Its usually dose related, doses under 500 mgs are usually tolerable. A 250 mg licap daily shouldnt produce intolerable sides. Res. and Quercetin should be taken at matched doses. It works guys!
  23. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513131

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Definitely has made my entire physique a lot drier and seems easier to keep the fat off.
  24. AI Sports Nutrition
    A_I_Sports_Nutrition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    6934

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    That doesn't mean he's wrong. Dr Dinoiii has researched this issue extensively and agrees with estrogenic potential of Res. I have seen various sites selling this product and many warn of potential estrogenic side effects. I have personally decided to wait until more conclusive, well designed studies have been conducted.
    Not saying he is wrong at all. Just saying you can trash any compound very easy. I tell people running Post Cycle Support as part of a PCT with a SERM not to start it till the 3rd week of pct because of the anti-e properties of it. I have heard complaints of dry joints but some of the other sides he listed were the first time I had heard of them.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  25. Senior Member
    Knowbull's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,754
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Somr simply cant use some supplements without getting sides. A person can either tolerate Quercetin and Resveratrol or they cant. The major factor is purity, that includes fillers, excipients, emulsifiers, etc. As Arnold said, "There are sides with everything."
  26. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13343

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    Not saying he is wrong at all. Just saying you can trash any compound very easy. I tell people running Post Cycle Support as part of a PCT with a SERM not to start it till the 3rd week of pct because of the anti-e properties of it. I have heard complaints of dry joints but some of the other sides he listed were the first time I had heard of them.
    its not about trashing anysupplement. What its about is educating people by giving the full facts -the positives and the negatives so then the consumer can make an informed choice as to whether or not to use the product.

    so often supplement companies take a phrase out of context from a report /study and useit to sell the product.

    Bodybuilders/weighttrainers/fitness enthusiasts are a different breed to day than say a decade ago.We live in a culture where we question everything .supplements should be no different.I wont name names but we all know the companies that insult our intelligence by making the wildest claims what a certain product will do , then expect us to believe it by placing a professional bodybuilder by the side of it.
    i could go on but this is going off topic -i apologise for that .
  27. AI Sports Nutrition
    A_I_Sports_Nutrition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    6934

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    its not about trashing anysupplement. What its about is educating people by giving the full facts -the positives and the negatives so then the consumer can make an informed choice as to whether or not to use the product.

    so often supplement companies take a phrase out of context from a report /study and useit to sell the product.

    Bodybuilders/weighttrainers/fitness enthusiasts are a different breed to day than say a decade ago.We live in a culture where we question everything .supplements should be no different.I wont name names but we all know the companies that insult our intelligence by making the wildest claims what a certain product will do , then expect us to believe it by placing a professional bodybuilder by the side of it.
    i could go on but this is going off topic -i apologise for that .
    Bro I have no problem with your thoughts. I was just saying is I could take any compound and go to the internet and find both good and bad things about it.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Quercetin Study
    By HarryManback in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
  2. Quercetin
    By EasyEJL in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
  3. quercetin and estrogen
    By 323mattb in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in