Why did the NCAA ban glycergrow?

  1. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Why did the NCAA ban glycergrow?


    It's in the title. The NCAA is the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

  2. Senior Member
    sanchezgreg18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,682
    Rep Power
    917
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    75.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    because its a hyperhydrating agent, and would give unfair endurance because of increased hydration. pretty sure about that but maybe someone else can clarify.
  3. Senior Member
    monstermash's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Rep Power
    19726
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    5.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    how would they test for it?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    JaredGalloway's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    591
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    44.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I have never seen that on the 2009/2010 NCAA banned substances list... so i think ur missinformed unless they have just held some kind of press conference i dont know about...
  5. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17439
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    91.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    no it is banned and I'm pretty sure it is because it has a diuretic effect. I have asked this question before...
    SFW and GFH
  6. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17439
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    91.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    According to RR it isn't banned anymore and it was because it was a diuretic

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Not too sure, actually! But it's in many foods, so I wouldn't worry about testing. Also, the NCAA no longer has it on their banned substance list.
    SFW and GFH
  7. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    See, I don't think it really hydrates the way people even think it does. When I first read about it, people said that it took extra water from between the muscle cells, and put it in the blood stream. So in the long run, it kind of would be a diuretic.
  8. Elite Member
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,947
    Rep Power
    177788
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    59.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    See, I don't think it really hydrates the way people even think it does. When I first read about it, people said that it took extra water from between the muscle cells, and put it in the blood stream. So in the long run, it kind of would be a diuretic.
    Any GMS product will dehydrate you big time, that is why they always preface usage with at least an extra 32 ounces of water and upping your daily intake to 1 gallon. I know I would feel dehydrated after a workout that I used it if I did not up my normal intake at least a liter or two after my workout.
  9. Advanced Member
    atjnutrition2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    609
    Rep Power
    384
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    54.03%

    It's my understanding that GMS is still banned under the NCAA.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    211240
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    85.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by atjnutrition2 View Post
    It's my understanding that GMS is still banned under the NCAA.
    I heard this also. I realize they are trying to protect and such, but this is a little soft I think.
    I'm Back...
  11. New Member
    Fenway's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    94
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    60.48%

    Glycergrow itself is not actually banned by the NCAA directly. NCAA rules as well as the IOC ban all diuretics because of their popularity of being used as urinary masking agents to hide doping agents like anabolic steroids.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    211240
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    85.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    Glycergrow itself is not actually banned by the NCAA directly. NCAA rules as well as the IOC ban all diuretics because of their popularity of being used as urinary masking agents to hide doping agents like anabolic steroids.
    Good point. I didn't think about it that way.
    I'm Back...
  13. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    Glycergrow itself is not actually banned by the NCAA directly. NCAA rules as well as the IOC ban all diuretics because of their popularity of being used as urinary masking agents to hide doping agents like anabolic steroids.
    This guy has the definitive answer!

    I would like to point out that we just proved that GMS is diuretic in the long run. It has it's place when you can't drink enough water, but I think Ill spend my money on something else.
  14. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    it was directly banned. at the time of its inception, the GMS in it was on the banned list. to the best of my knowledge, that is no longer the case and isnt stated on the label anymore
  15. Board Sponsor
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    211240
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    85.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    it was directly banned. at the time of its inception, the GMS in it was on the banned list. to the best of my knowledge, that is no longer the case and isnt stated on the label anymore
    Good to know. I was/am very interested in this.
    I'm Back...
  16. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickster View Post
    Good to know. I was/am very interested in this.
    one of the most underrated products around and its so cheap per serving
  17. Board Sponsor
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    211240
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    85.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    one of the most underrated products around and its so cheap per serving
    I love the stuff myself. Was just curious about the NCAA aspect of it all.
    I'm Back...
  18. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickster View Post
    I love the stuff myself. Was just curious about the NCAA aspect of it all.
    i see. they flip flop on many natural diuretic compounds yearly
  19. Elite Member
    T-AD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,051
    Rep Power
    484102
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    90.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    one of the most underrated products around and its so cheap per serving
    I'll second that! Bought a tub a while back for like $30, dosed it 3X normal dose (I'm kinda big) and it STILL lasted me forever and a day. Quality right hurrrr.

    Quote Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    i see. they flip flop on many natural diuretic compounds yearly
    Wait... are you telling me that a governing body flip-flops?? Whaaaaaa????

    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.
  20. New Member
    SWELABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%

    The reason for glycegrow ban is that WADA has put glycerol on the banned substance list. The reason is not the performance enhancing effect but rather that it can be misused as a masking agent for other doping substances.
  21. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    I'll second that! Bought a tub a while back for like $30, dosed it 3X normal dose (I'm kinda big) and it STILL lasted me forever and a day. Quality right hurrrr.



    Wait... are you telling me that a governing body flip-flops?? Whaaaaaa????

    glad to hear it. CL is all about quality at a great prices
    Quote Originally Posted by SWELABS View Post
    The reason for glycegrow ban is that WADA has put glycerol on the banned substance list. The reason is not the performance enhancing effect but rather that it can be misused as a masking agent for other doping substances.
    yup, but its in a ton of foods and nearly impossible to monitor the use of
  22. Board Sponsor
    GregW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    85.71%

    the ncaa is a bunch of idiots. there's little rationale for their decisions. in fact, it's not even a "they" - it's one woman who determines what can and cannot be given to college athletes. she's the most uninformed person I know. Probably received Cs and Ds in school and somehow got to be in the decision-making body of the NCAA thanks to the Peter Principle.
  23. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    the ncaa is a bunch of idiots. there's little rationale for their decisions. in fact, it's not even a "they" - it's one woman who determines what can and cannot be given to college athletes. she's the most uninformed person I know. Probably received Cs and Ds in school and somehow got to be in the decision-making body of the NCAA thanks to the Peter Principle.
    sounds like an ex wife or something?
  24. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Can anyone really test for glycerol? Ive determined that I wont take this stuff anytime soon, but Im curious.
  25. New Member
    Jdudeck11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    36.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    Can anyone really test for glycerol? Ive determined that I wont take this stuff anytime soon, but Im curious.
    I wouldn't think soo it's really great stuff I have 3 tubs of it.
  26. Board Sponsor
    GregW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    85.71%

    it's not about whether it can be tested. it's about whether schools can supply their athletes with it.
  27. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    it's not about whether it can be tested. it's about whether schools can supply their athletes with it.
    Can you get in trouble for taking it. I understand and even support the banning of some untdetectible compounds, but glycerol is in sports drinks. I don't see the NCAA taking away anyones Powerade.
  28. Board Sponsor
    GregW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    85.71%

    haha. the ncaa is ruled by money, lobbying and politics, just like the government. PowerAde gives the ncaa millions - actually I believe powerade is coca-cola or maybe pepsi, i forget.

    no you can't get in trouble for taking it. like someone mentioned u cannot test for it. but you don't want to advertise that you're taking it either to your coaches because they can be funny sometimes.
  29. Banned
    Sam I Am's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    1.63%

    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    the ncaa is a bunch of idiots...
    Okay... ummmm let me guess - you didn't go to College?

    GG is underrated, in my opinion as well. Just increase your water intake.
  30. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,879
    Rep Power
    9326
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    Can anyone really test for glycerol? Ive determined that I wont take this stuff anytime soon, but Im curious.
    cant be tested for and its great stuff. its no longer banned anyway
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Glycergrow?
    By Xpballer in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM
  2. glycergrow?
    By MHA in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
  3. GlycerGrow
    By UNCfan1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in