Why did the NCAA ban glycergrow?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
It's in the title. The NCAA is the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
because its a hyperhydrating agent, and would give unfair endurance because of increased hydration. pretty sure about that but maybe someone else can clarify.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
how would they test for it?

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
I have never seen that on the 2009/2010 NCAA banned substances list... so i think ur missinformed unless they have just held some kind of press conference i dont know about...

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
no it is banned and I'm pretty sure it is because it has a diuretic effect. I have asked this question before...

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
According to RR it isn't banned anymore and it was because it was a diuretic

Not too sure, actually! But it's in many foods, so I wouldn't worry about testing. Also, the NCAA no longer has it on their banned substance list. :)

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
See, I don't think it really hydrates the way people even think it does. When I first read about it, people said that it took extra water from between the muscle cells, and put it in the blood stream. So in the long run, it kind of would be a diuretic.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
See, I don't think it really hydrates the way people even think it does. When I first read about it, people said that it took extra water from between the muscle cells, and put it in the blood stream. So in the long run, it kind of would be a diuretic.
Any GMS product will dehydrate you big time, that is why they always preface usage with at least an extra 32 ounces of water and upping your daily intake to 1 gallon. I know I would feel dehydrated after a workout that I used it if I did not up my normal intake at least a liter or two after my workout.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
It's my understanding that GMS is still banned under the NCAA.

Fenway

Awards
Glycergrow itself is not actually banned by the NCAA directly. NCAA rules as well as the IOC ban all diuretics because of their popularity of being used as urinary masking agents to hide doping agents like anabolic steroids.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Glycergrow itself is not actually banned by the NCAA directly. NCAA rules as well as the IOC ban all diuretics because of their popularity of being used as urinary masking agents to hide doping agents like anabolic steroids.
Good point. I didn't think about it that way.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
This guy has the definitive answer!

I would like to point out that we just proved that GMS is diuretic in the long run. It has it's place when you can't drink enough water, but I think Ill spend my money on something else.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
it was directly banned. at the time of its inception, the GMS in it was on the banned list. to the best of my knowledge, that is no longer the case and isnt stated on the label anymore
Good to know. I was/am very interested in this.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
one of the most underrated products around and its so cheap per serving
I'll second that! Bought a tub a while back for like $30, dosed it 3X normal dose (I'm kinda big) and it STILL lasted me forever and a day. Quality right hurrrr. :)

i see. they flip flop on many natural diuretic compounds yearly
Wait... are you telling me that a governing body flip-flops?? Whaaaaaa???? :irked:

:lol: :cheers:

SWELABS

SWELABS

Awards
The reason for glycegrow ban is that WADA has put glycerol on the banned substance list. The reason is not the performance enhancing effect but rather that it can be misused as a masking agent for other doping substances.

CONTROLLED LABS

CONTROLLED LABS

PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
Awards
  • Established
I'll second that! Bought a tub a while back for like $30, dosed it 3X normal dose (I'm kinda big) and it STILL lasted me forever and a day. Quality right hurrrr. :)

Wait... are you telling me that a governing body flip-flops?? Whaaaaaa???? :irked:

:lol: :cheers:
glad to hear it. CL is all about quality at a great prices
The reason for glycegrow ban is that WADA has put glycerol on the banned substance list. The reason is not the performance enhancing effect but rather that it can be misused as a masking agent for other doping substances.
yup, but its in a ton of foods and nearly impossible to monitor the use of

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the ncaa is a bunch of idiots. there's little rationale for their decisions. in fact, it's not even a "they" - it's one woman who determines what can and cannot be given to college athletes. she's the most uninformed person I know. Probably received Cs and Ds in school and somehow got to be in the decision-making body of the NCAA thanks to the Peter Principle.

CONTROLLED LABS

CONTROLLED LABS

PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
Awards
  • Established
the ncaa is a bunch of idiots. there's little rationale for their decisions. in fact, it's not even a "they" - it's one woman who determines what can and cannot be given to college athletes. she's the most uninformed person I know. Probably received Cs and Ds in school and somehow got to be in the decision-making body of the NCAA thanks to the Peter Principle.
sounds like an ex wife or something? :D

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone really test for glycerol? Ive determined that I wont take this stuff anytime soon, but Im curious.

Jdudeck11

Awards
Can anyone really test for glycerol? Ive determined that I wont take this stuff anytime soon, but Im curious.
I wouldn't think soo it's really great stuff I have 3 tubs of it.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
it's not about whether it can be tested. it's about whether schools can supply their athletes with it.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
it's not about whether it can be tested. it's about whether schools can supply their athletes with it.
Can you get in trouble for taking it. I understand and even support the banning of some untdetectible compounds, but glycerol is in sports drinks. I don't see the NCAA taking away anyones Powerade.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
haha. the ncaa is ruled by money, lobbying and politics, just like the government. PowerAde gives the ncaa millions - actually I believe powerade is coca-cola or maybe pepsi, i forget.

no you can't get in trouble for taking it. like someone mentioned u cannot test for it. but you don't want to advertise that you're taking it either to your coaches because they can be funny sometimes.