Cassein before bed?

clint3612

Awards
Hey guys, I've experimented with taking whey protein at night but seems to keep me up for some reason? Is this the reason people take the casein rather than whey? I know casein digest slower and thats good but I'm more worried about missing sleep, will switching to casein at night solve this problem?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Protein can do that. Carb meals tend to sedate.

Caesin will not stop this but will not be as bad as whey.

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
I take ON's 100% casein and I feel like I get a better nights sleep when I drink one before bed. Im not sure if whey also contains it, but I know ON's casein has tryptophan in it. Tryptophan is the stuff in turkey that makes you tired and is also used as a sleep aid. Again this could be in all protein because it is an EAA but I know first hand it does give me a better nights rest.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
If you break down the cost per gram of protein, its cheaper to eat cottage cheese before bed than to take casein. Plus, dairy products have a slight sedative affect on some people. I usually throw some fresh blueberries or strawberries in with it. Been doing that for years. A lot of people have told me in the past that they do not like cottage cheese, but if you're willing to put forth the effort to achieve your goals you'll make the sacrifices that go along with it.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I've experimented with taking whey protein at night but seems to keep me up for some reason? Is this the reason people take the casein rather than whey? I know casein digest slower and thats good but I'm more worried about missing sleep, will switching to casein at night solve this problem?
I have been drinking a glass of Ultra Peptide (casein) mixed in milk for years.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I take ON's 100% casein and I feel like I get a better nights sleep when I drink one before bed. Im not sure if whey also contains it, but I know ON's casein has tryptophan in it. Tryptophan is the stuff in turkey that makes you tired and is also used as a sleep aid. Again this could be in all protein because it is an EAA but I know first hand it does give me a better nights rest.
Women ... work better.