John McCain trying to ban our supplements?!?!

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
I did a search and didnt find anything, sorry if its been posted...please let this fade into the abyss if so!

If not....

So apparently McCain proposed new legislation that would require all companies to go through a new government review. This will most likely make a lot of stuff illegal! Take a look at this site for more info: Save Our Supplements - Protect Your Access to Safe, Effective & Affordable Dietary Supplements

Here is the actual bill: S. 3002: A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to more effectively regulate dietary... (GovTrack.us)

Seriously WTF? I realize there are a few companies out there who take advantage of the lax laws *cough* AX *cough* that ruin it, but there are a lot of companies out there who are trustworthy and reliable, not to mention its up the consumer to decide what they want to put in their bodies(and do their own research). Last thing I want is for the few supplements that will be remaining to cost 5x more!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think this bill will riddle out ****ty companys that make bogus products and the companys that have the research will stay.

crg28

Awards
I think this bill will riddle out ****ty companys that make bogus products and the companys that have the research will stay.
Add to this the soon to be enacted FTC requirements on supplement companies and as of today, March 2 2010, there are no companies in the industry that would be compliant with both the McCain Bill and the new proposed FTC rules.

The truth is that this will only benefit the largest of the largest companies....the ones actually owned by Big Phama....(EAS, etc...)

This is a joke of a bill....If only the FDA would enforce their current guidelines for SUpplement Companies, we would not need this BS of a bill...but BIG PHAMA $ talks.....

fidget324

Awards
One would think that between two foreign wars, a mortgage crisis, skyrocketing health-care premiums, unsustainable social security costs, illegal immigration, and 12.3 trillion dollars of national debt, the government would have better things to do.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Naaah. Johnny's out to save the millions of people who die from vitamin related death....oh wait, there are none.

I met him about seven years ago at a town hall meeting where the crowd opposed one of his pieces of legislation and he was not a happy camper at the time.

AzCat

Awards
Johnny's out to protect the Arizona biotech corridor. Arizona has been aggressively poaching biotech & pharma from SoCal for around a decade now.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
This bill is a bunch of BS. The FDA can't even properly regulate the actual drugs they're supposed to be regulating. Now McCain wants to put them in charge of regulating supplements too. Brilliant!

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
it wont pass. US would take a massive hit financially

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
its more of a publicity stunt** to get his name in news and put a "i care about societyhealth" under his resume

AzCat

Awards
its more of a publicity stunt** to get his name in news and put a "i care about societyhealth" under his resume
No, he really is this stupid / uninformed / greedy.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
McCains not the only one that wants stricter bs rules and regs. Vitamin c will be by script only in the near future if the "idiots" have their way.

allendr

Awards
The FDA is currently underfunded and overworked to the extreme, the chances of this passing are close to nil. I still did the automatic email to my representatives though and the response I got from him (don't remember who) was basically no way it's passing.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The truth is that this will only benefit the largest of the largest companies....the ones actually owned by Big Phama....(EAS, etc...).
Exactly the big compnays that actually do research. Why support manufacturing vs R and D. Support research vs just companies referencing research but never once has there companu done research them selves. I think companies like EAS, Nu Skin, Shaklee, Alltacore etc should be around as they spend 1000's of dollars researching and inovating.

ekdevil

Awards
cool.i hope he puts an end to supps having prop blends and bottles priced @$30+ having not enough for a month supply.and as long he doesnt ban multiv,fishoil,creatine and protein im pretty happy.