Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

looking for a sleep aid

I am 21, just quit smoking and drinking cold turkey two months ago and ever since i cant get any sort of sleep. The sleep i do get is horrible. i feel like im going insane sometimes. I'm thinking about starting cigs again. Does anyone have any advice, know of a good sleep aid that is mild on side affects?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.8%

I have a sleep issue as well, and its because I take NO shotgun later in the day to workout, which usually keeps me up... Recently (as in the last month or so) I have been taking ZMA and it seems to be helping me fall asleep/stay asleep...I have also in the past taken melatonine and that worked for as well...If you decide on the ZMA, take it 20 min before you lay down for sleep and do not drink any dairy products within 45-1hr of taking the product...I did this and the dairy and the ZMA mixed and upset my stomach... Goodluck, hope this helps and congrats on not smoking, dont give in and start again...
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

zma is good to take regularly, a few that i have used that work good are these:
    Somnidren
    IBE x-Dream
    Scivation knockout
    Appnut Lipotrophin PM
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.07%

somnidren is #1
    ibe x-dream is #2
    i have used bolth and bolth work vary will.5 htp makes my drozy in the morning even after 8 hours.zma is so so
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.84%

ReductionPm is the best for sleep I tried so far. Cheap and help you stay lean.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.19%

Melatonin and 5thp is what i would suggest.. you body is having to relearn how to fall asleep naturally.. and theses to products are safe to use. be careful using other sleep aid, because you will then start relying on them for sleep as well then you body then again has to learn how to fall asleep naturally..
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

Agreed TEX A great solid sleep aid I have been taking has been 3mg pills of Melatonin. It is a great supp all natural and puts me to sleep in about 20 min. Its also a great antioxidant and cheap as hell bought mine off BB.com for like $2.00 best decision I ever made. Im in Army rotc and have to wake up at 5am every morn and on those nights I just cant to bed its the ticket and on training nights I give to my buddies and most of them love it too. Good Luck sleep is very very important as you know why not try and make it better!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

appreciate the input, i just bought a small jar of melatonin 3g tabs. gonna try one tonight.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

Quote Originally Posted by biggerthantex View Post
    Melatonin and 5thp is what i would suggest.. you body is having to relearn how to fall asleep naturally.. and theses to products are safe to use. be careful using other sleep aid, because you will then start relying on them for sleep as well then you body then again has to learn how to fall asleep naturally..
    X2 ..... star off with a low dose and work your way up from there when useing Melatonin..
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.48%

stay away from melotonin. leads to lower test and sperm production in males

I rec

Appnut Lipotrophin PM

the comp works wonders
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I use simply sleep and melatonin. It's so relaxing.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Somnidren-gh great stuff
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.68%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Melatonin use / overuse can mess up your body's natural sleep pattern and can cause dependence.

I usually don't have much problem getting to sleep but ZMA has helped with deeper sleep. On a good night I get about 6-7 hrs, but usually 5-7. The improved quality has helped a lot.
  14. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Doxylamine succinate is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamines and has anti-allergy power superior to almost every other antihistamine on the market, with the exception of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States, and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate is possibly more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative.

This is the active in Nyquill, and unisom tabs (not gel caps). Wallyworld sells the generic for 4 bucks a box, of 32 25mg tabs. Very effective sedative similar to benadryl. Trauma turned me on about a year ago to it. Love the stuff.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Ones I liked:
    ZMA
    1-carboxy
    Somindren
    CL Reduction PM
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.03%

Quote Originally Posted by killamac27 View Post
    I am 21, just quit smoking and drinking cold turkey two months ago and ever since i cant get any sort of sleep. The sleep i do get is horrible. i feel like im going insane sometimes. I'm thinking about starting cigs again. Does anyone have any advice, know of a good sleep aid that is mild on side affects?
    The main thing you are facing is nicotene withdrawl. Never smoked but I imagine its no joke. I suspect a sort of depression kicks in but its just a guess. If you quit now good investiment for the future.

Recommend you visit you practioner. There's a few things that can come into play here, I'd try a combination of things to try and beat it.

3mg melatonin is only for serious insomnia try 1mg or 0.5mg.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.19%

how did the mel. work for you?
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.58%

You could try "Delta Sleep Inducing Peptide" if you are having serious problems falling asleep. It can be found at research chem websites and perhaps other places as well. It is oral I believe as it is absorbed by the gut.

journals.lww dotcom /ejanaesthesiology/Fulltext/2001/07000/Delta_sleep_inducing_peptide.1 .aspx
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.46%

I find that ZMA with Lean Dreams work great for getting a deep rejuvenating sleep.
  20. IBE/PHF Rep
    Stats
    6'5"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.87%

Stack X-Dream by IBE and ZMK by MST..

you'll be like a baby in no time !
    IBE/PHF Boladrol - The Most Potent PH in the World - Available Now!
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.47%

I went to cvs n purchased 500 store brand tylenol pm for 18 bux and I also ordered animal pm.

Tylenol pm is great to help you go to sleep while having sore body parts.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Yeah, because taking chronic tylenol to help you fall asleep is such a great idea.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.21%

Quote Originally Posted by matthias7 View Post
    The main thing you are facing is nicotene withdrawl. Never smoked but I imagine its no joke. I suspect a sort of depression kicks in but its just a guess. If you quit now good investiment for the future.

Recommend you visit you practioner. There's a few things that can come into play here, I'd try a combination of things to try and beat it.

3mg melatonin is only for serious insomnia try 1mg or 0.5mg.
    I took melatonin when i got jet-leg or when I have to get enough sleep on a cross-ocean plane (you know it can be impossible if you are in economic class). Otherwise I don't use it.

If it's Nicotine withdrawl, then the most effective way is to get some Nicotine gum/tablet.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.6%

Quote Originally Posted by killamac27 View Post
    id try to do something natural first try to eat all ur meals during the day saving one for post workout... Workout at night while taking a pre workout.. when the fatigue from ur workout and pre workout crash hits u will fall asleep fine
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

anyone heard anything good about PP's slumber stack?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  267 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%

Yes, very relaxing and you sleep good. No hangover feelings, you feel well rested in the morning. It is tea, its easy to make, but for some they may not be used to it.
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.48%

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    yes Primordials slumber stack is great, my family uses it quite often. Also x-dreams, i have not used but heard good things about

stay away from Tylenol (bad for the liver)

and melatonin (not good for males sperm count)
  28. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Did someone say sleep aid???

hmmmmm wonder if any board sponsors will have FREE samples of a new sleep aid soon ???
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  29. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.46%

PowerFULL really works well for me. I used to have a terrible time sleeping until I started trying PowerFULL.
    I'm Back...
  30. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.58%

I've been taking a combo of Somnidren and ZMK. Words can't describe how effective these two products are for me. Deep sleep all night and a feeling of recuperation upon waking.
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Doxylamine succinate is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamines and has anti-allergy power superior to almost every other antihistamine on the market, with the exception of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States, and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate is possibly more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative.

This is the active in Nyquill, and unisom tabs (not gel caps). Wallyworld sells the generic for 4 bucks a box, of 32 25mg tabs. Very effective sedative similar to benadryl. Trauma turned me on about a year ago to it. Love the stuff.

Yes, it's a powerful antihistamine with potent anticholinergic effects. This is why it's often used as a sedative/hypnotic or anxiolytic. Doses as low as 6.25mg are effective for sleep. I would start very low with this and adjust as needed. I wouldn't dose above 18.75mg. From my own experiences once you hit 25mg the side effects become much more pronounced.

Nyquil is the most popular OTC product that utilizes this, but you can buy the Unisom "sleep tabs" to avoid acetaminophen content. This is probably one of the best sleep inducers I've ever used and I like it better than my ambien in many instances. The only drawback is the anticholinergic effect can leave you feeling "hungover" in ways during the morning hours.

-John

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

32. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.88%

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    It's always helped when I've used it. Not to mention it makes me have some pretty cool dreams...
  33. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.32%

Melatonin and 5-htp - run you like 10$ lol cant beat it

Dont need anything special. Naturally occuring in the body, no special ingredients. Just make sure your settled in and ready for bed after you take them. Takes about 20-30mins and your eyes will start to close on their own and then its lights out!
  34. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'1"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.49%

To the original poster, you've made it this long DON'T get back on the cigarettes, nothing is worse for you health. I've had too many health care pros tell me I'd be better off eating McDonalds every day than smoking (luckily I've never had the habit). My mom died young from the effects of smoking, and I've had several patients who now talk through a device from their habit. As far as sleep aids it really depends on the person and even budget. Melatonin is cheap and works well but gives me an occasional headache. ZMA is something that seems to make sleep deeper and waking up is easier than using Melatonin, which leaves me slightly groggy. Somnidren GH is a nice product, sleep is also deeper and seems to help slightly with recovery. HGH UP is very similar to Somnidren (only in pill form) and taken 5 caps before bed will produce some high quality sleep and incredible dreams. However, if cutting it makes me very hungry. For bulking I'd say it's a winner for sure. With these products only melatonin actually makes me sleepy, the rest just enhance the effects of sleep. Possibly using some of the good info people have provided and using a going to sleep aid (melatonin or doxylamine) along with a sleep enhancer (Somnidren GH, ZMA or HGHUP) might be something to try. I always worry about the drowsy or groggy feeling in the morning so I never taken these together but may in the future. Good luck.
  35. Universal Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.11%

Animal PM is right up you alley:

Animal PM is here
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

Thanks to everyone for the replies. After trying the melatonin i decided i'm going to stop using it and try something different. It helped somewhat but isn't what i'm looking for. It took me a while to fall asleep on it and I still woke up in the middle of the night. I can say that it did help me relax. Like it kept my mind from racing around different thoughts/ideas which helped but I gotta say the day after I had a horrible headache both times I tried it. I tried it twice using 3 mg.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

I would research possible 5-htp risks. Melatonin is safe.
  38. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Yes, it's a powerful antihistamine with potent anticholinergic effects. This is why it's often used as a sedative/hypnotic or anxiolytic. Doses as low as 6.25mg are effective for sleep. I would start very low with this and adjust as needed. I wouldn't dose above 18.75mg. From my own experiences once you hit 25mg the side effects become much more pronounced.

Nyquil is the most popular OTC product that utilizes this, but you can buy the Unisom "sleep tabs" to avoid acetaminophen content. This is probably one of the best sleep inducers I've ever used and I like it better than my ambien in many instances. The only drawback is the anticholinergic effect can leave you feeling "hungover" in ways during the morning hours.

-John
    I hear that you do not get REM sleep on products that contain diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate. Can anybody confirm this? With that aside, I personally do not like the groggy feeling the next morning.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.59%

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post

I'm not sure at what dose you take that stuff at, but I never had much luck with it. The diphenhydramine based OTC sleep aids work much much better for me.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.59%

Quote Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
    I hear that you do not get REM sleep on products that contain diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate. Can anybody confirm this? With that aside, I personally do not like the groggy feeling the next morning.
    Could be true... I have a history of using OTC sleep aids including diphen and doxy, and melatonin. Usually the chemical sleep aids leave me feeling drowsy in the morning and through part of the day sometimes. It puts me to sleep but I can't say that the quality of sleep isn't all that great either.

Similar Forum Threads

1. **** Need 2 Sleep No Really I Need to Sleep!! Tha Log
    By mich29 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 12:40 AM
  5. Sleep: Can you do it too much?