Best pre-workout stim for evening workouts? (i.e. still able to sleep!)

Alpine

Alpine

Awards
  • Established
Ive been working in my new career now for a while. Gone are the college days of 3pm workouts.

I find myself working out around 8pm or so at night. I occasionally relied on pre-workout energy/fat burner supplements before. However, now I find that popping something like Viper or Lipo-6 black make it harder to fall asleep and reduces sleep quality.

I know you cant have your cake and eat it too, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a pre-workout stimulant product or stack that would peak and diminish within 3 hours or so and allow me to sleep ok.

I have been taking 1 500mg EGCG GTE cap along with 2x caps of AlphaBurn just to get a little extra fat burning without all the caffeine. Are there any other suggestions? What about Methylhexaneamine (aka Geranamine) along with some GTE and a little iced tea with dinner? Throw some ideas out there. Some of these energy/thermogenic producst are designed to keep you buzzing for a long time (like Viper) and its just not ideal before bed.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most products are going to give at least 6-8 hours of energy before they fade. How about using one 3-4 hours before you train - that way you'll have the energy and should be able to sleep.

Or you could use a non-stimulant preworkout product/stack or a Growth Hormone/Testosterone booster pre-training. Sleep shouldn't be an issue on that.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

ecupirate

Awards
maniac might be a good choice. Only has a small amount of caffine in it compared to other pre worksouts.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Motivate is a pretty good choice, I would still dose it about 6-7 hours before bed and adjust as needed.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Motivate is a pretty good choice, I would still dose it about 6-7 hours before bed and adjust as needed.
I second this, just took two this morning. It is not super potent and 1 taken around 5-6PM should give you the boost you want. Also, I find that 1 scoop of Jack3d doesn't bother me if taken before 6 PM.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OP,
I have the same issue as you with evening workouts. With all the freakin supps I've tried, the preworkout energy will NEVER outweigh quality sleep. In my opinion, it's more productive in terms of strength and body composition to have good sleep, even if it's at the expensive of a slightly less intense workout.

Trust me, I've been there and it's a downward spiral. You sound like you're noticing it early on, but dude, make the change now before it gets worse.

I suggest some non-stim mood/focus enhancers to get you started. Try throwing in some tyrosine and alcar into a scoop of a bcaa mix. You could also put beta alanine and creatine in there for non stim performance enhancers. These are all cheap and tasteless in bulk powder so you have a pretty good mix without the stim.

If fat burning is your priority, then you could go with non stim fat burners... sesamin, coleus (forslean), fish oils, cla... etc.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i workout at 8 aswell and have the sam problem. all pre workout supps keep me up all night. i had to set aside my very favorite shock therapy. sometimes i take it at 3 and im still pumped at 8 so that works too.

however, i take Animal m-stak preworkout and ditch the red pill (stim). its not a pre-workout supp in the sense your prob looking for but its the best overall supp ive ever used...by far.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Something else to consider is Ultima... it is supposed to have ingredients that act similar to stims but there are none in it. Even at half a dose, it may be what the doctor ordered or, and I can't believe that CELC of all people didn't mention it being a rep for Axis, try Hemodraulix. It is non-stim and apparently quite effective, on my short list for purchase very soon.

trojanman1016

Awards
I got a good product with ZERO stimulants that i use. I workout at night between 7-10pm. Im a guy who has taken quite a few PW's, so I need one or I feel tired in the gym. Pre Max by primordial performances, is what i use and its great. Its full of Peptopro, GPLC, and all other natural ingrediant. Trust me its good. Its expensive im not gonna lie but its definatly what your looking for!!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got a good product with ZERO stimulants that i use. I workout at night between 7-10pm. Im a guy who has taken quite a few PW's, so I need one or I feel tired in the gym. Pre Max by primordial performances, is what i use and its great. Its full of Peptopro, GPLC, and all other natural ingrediant. Trust me its good. Its expensive im not gonna lie but its definatly what your looking for!!
That does look sweet, expensive but sweet...

WeRk2pLaY

Awards
I too just ordered the premax as part of their preworkout stack and can't wait to get it. I don't react well to caffeine so this product was right up my alley. It might be more expensive but I don't plan on taking the full dose to start with and see how that goes. Even at a lower dose your still taking much higher quality supplements than stuff you'll get from your local gnc

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I workout around six o'clock in the evening and go to bed around 10:30 P.M. I personally like a little stim preworkout but not too much or I can't sleep. The combination of one scoop PreMax and one scoop RagNOrok really works great for me. PreMax has no stim effect as far as I can tell and Rag is very mild. The overall stim effect only lasts about 2-3 hours and I sleep just fine. The addition of a scoop of Rag also defers some of the cost of PreMax and improves the flavor of PreMax IMO. They mix well together and this combo also provides a very good pump.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look into picking up some Omega Sports Ultima...

trojanman1016

Awards
I workout around six o'clock in the evening and go to bed around 10:30 P.M. I personally like a little stim preworkout but not too much or I can't sleep. The combination of one scoop PreMax and one scoop RagNOrok really works great for me. PreMax has no stim effect as far as I can tell and Rag is very mild. The overall stim effect only lasts about 2-3 hours and I sleep just fine. The addition of a scoop of Rag also defers some of the cost of PreMax and improves the flavor of PreMax IMO. They mix well together and this combo also provides a very good pump.
good idea

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Look into picking up some Omega Sports Ultima...
I also like Ultima for evening workouts add a full serving of GPLC and you will get great pumps. The taste leaves something to be desired IMO.

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
I've heard great things about DominATP (I think its called) by USP for a great non-stim pre-workout. Easiest way though if you still prefer a kick is either to do as they previously stated, and dose 3-4 hours prior to gym, or make your own home brew with bulk powders (BCAA, AAKG, Citruline, CM, BA, and some nootropics if you prefer). Home made mixes allow you to control stim dosages should you choose to add them to the mix.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
get primaforce caffeine tabs, crack them in have for a 100mg dose. 3-4 hours later you should get a crash good enough to sleep. i like to personally drink a small amount of coffee about 3 hours pre-bed as the crash helps me literally crash.

add that 100mg to above advices of non-stim options.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about just switching your workouts to morning. That would give you the option of taking your fav stim product and have it carry over into your work hour

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
OP,
Try throwing in some tyrosine and alcar into a scoop of a bcaa mix. You could also put beta alanine and creatine in there for non stim performance enhancers. These are all cheap and tasteless in bulk powder so you have a pretty good mix without the stim.
that is a great idea, I was going to recommend Swagger as a mild stimulant with great nootropic qualities, but realized what great energy and recovery I get from carnitine blends.

Mixing bcaas with a combination of lclt, plcar and alcar is great suggestion.

Dose throughout the day and kiss DOMS goodbye....

UKStrength

Cheers for the support lads :D

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Stims are good IMO if you are cutting 'cause you workout on zero carbs.

A good pre-workout (carb-based) meal I find helps. Just the cortisol afterwards - skipped the post-workout meal today and right now its 1am (UK) - wide awake without touching a stim.

PreMax is good. GPLC is top. GPLC (Premax) + ALCAR is very good.

What about glucose partitioning? These supps can give fantastic results if you get them spot on.

speedstack

Awards
I don't like to recommend any type of stims prior to working out unless you're trying to cut and train early on in the day. A good pre would consist of bcaa's, carnitine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, carbs, and creatine.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't like to recommend any type of stims prior to working out unless you're trying to cut and train early on in the day. A good pre would consist of bcaa's, carnitine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, carbs, and creatine.
This is my thinking as well, I have been only using extra stim on my morning workout. I am currently prepping for a contest and that may change near the latter stages when things start to get tougher.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can't believe that CELC of all people didn't mention it being a rep for Axis, try Hemodraulix. It is non-stim and apparently quite effective, on my short list for purchase very soon.
I need to get out my salesmen101 handbook :study: The thing with Hemo is that I usually don't have to pimp it... everyone else does it for me, just like YOU just did for me :trout:

This is my thinking as well, I have been only using extra stim on my morning workout. I am currently prepping for a contest and that may change near the latter stages when things start to get tougher.
51 and competing... I have a hard time not following EVERY SINGLE one of your suggestions sir :box:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
51 and competing... I have a hard time not following EVERY SINGLE one of your suggestions sir :bow:
Thanks, that's a great compliment...

Yah I just have to give it another run now that my body has changed so much with the new herbal products. I think I can do better now.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, that's a great compliment...

Yah I just have to give it another run now that my body has changed so much with the new herbal products. I think I can do better now.
Being that you are going to have "Pink" on your side here very soon in conjunction with some crazy CEO stack Prime... it is not that you THINK you can do better, it is how much better?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being that you are going to have "Pink" on your side here very soon in conjunction with some crazy CEO stack Prime... it is not that you THINK you can do better, it is how much better?
My thinking exactly!! There are still a lot of things that can go wrong and I have to be aware of that, be on top of it 24-7. Yah I'm about 20 lbs bigger than I was last time I competed so I'll be better and leaner. If I get lean early enough I hope to deal with some other issues. I plan on running the CEO and Pink right up to and including contest day to help me to keep a lot of volume. I am getting very excited!!

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
3 scoops of Jacked pre WO/ 1 cup of NyQuil post workout :sleeping:

haha

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 scoops of Jacked pre WO/ 1 cup of NyQuil post workout :sleeping:

haha
Jack3d would give the NyQuil a Chuck Norris roundhouse! :trout:

afboy143

afboy143

Awards
keeping this thread going as I am in this boat too. ASGT- anyone know the stim effect of this? Jack3d doesn't keep me awake if I only take 1 scoop. Was thinking of stacking TT-33 with Anadraulic Pump. Any ideas with all the new pre-workout supps out now?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
simple.
1 gram of leucine if you are already taking leucine threw out the day
4-6 grams of GPLC
4 grams of crea pure or 1 tea spoon of con cret
with Russian Taragon which recently shown in a study, combined with creapure creatine to increase the uptake of creatine into skeletal muscle. The results were neat, showing this extract could bring about skeletal muscle absorption comparable to spiking insulin with large amounts of high glycemic carbohydrates and or protein.
4 grams of beta alaine
and racetims your good.

afboy143

afboy143

Awards
simple.
4-6 grams of GPLC
with Russian Taragon which recently shown in a study, combined with creapure creatine to increase the uptake of creatine into skeletal muscle. The results were neat, showing this extract could bring about skeletal muscle absorption comparable to spiking insulin with large amounts of high glycemic carbohydrates and or protein.
4 grams of beta alaine
and racetims your good.
I take it you work out PM eh? Do you use this stack personally?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I work out Am some times but my workout partner switched hours so we work out at 7:30 but i still take stims. This is just a stim free version of what I take with few more things I did not list due to cost.
This you can ask the board is very basic and will work great.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Two excellent stim free choices to consider - Omega Ultima and MST Ragnarok caffeine free. If you want minimal stims LG Anadraulic Pump is excellent though you would have to add your own creatine either with or before ideally. AS-GT never effects my sleep even at 1.5 scoops but not everyone responds like that so you have to play with the dose. Currently taking Ultima and very happy with it at 1.5 scoops.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
simple.
4-6 grams of GPLC
4 grams of beta alaine
and racetims your good.
This is all good and well but not cheap by any means. Also, not many people are going to like 4 grams of beta-alanine unless they are used to it and carnosine levels are already saturated. As for creatine, why get overly fancy; creapure is really all you will ever need or just regular NP bulk mono. Something else to consider, how much time do you want to invest in covering up the taste; it's not fun and definitely not easy.

ryan6f7

Awards
I work 12 to 14 hour days and lift after and i gotta get up early so i cant get all stimmed out. I started using Ultima and its perfect. It gives me tons of focus and energy and i still fall asleep by 9ish. The taste doesnt bother me either. Its not like a Jack3d type of energy( which i like to use on my days off when i work out earlier in the day) but it is good, for me i get more focus and endurance out of it.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try my combo for 30 days and report back

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try my combo for 30 days and report back
Who are you talking to? Seriously DJ, if you are trying to get me to try your combo, fat chance buddy. I know enough about your shenanigans on here to do that...

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
+1 for decaf RagNOrok. It's great, good focus and noticable energy, with zero caffeine.

Another cheap option is Lucidrol, which provides huge nootropic benefits and mental focus, with no caffeine, and can be stacked both with a decaf pre-workout OR a stimmed pre-workout for extra kick. Keep in mind a serving is 2 caps, but 1 cap is plenty for many people, so it's super economical. Usually $25 for 60 caps or so

MrDeadlift

Awards
If you are looking for a stimulant that gives you enough kick to allow focus, concentration and muscle output, then try Neuro Awaken XT. I like it as it gives me mental focus, without feeling wired like being on coffee. Rather, I feel that I am more in control of my workout, muscle contraction, lowering the weights with full control, more energy and endurance. It could be the Carnitines in there (GPLC, ALCAR and Carnitine-L-Tartrate) with the vinpocetine and DMAE. Another one I liked was FocusFactor, a friend recommended this. The only problem with that was the need for 8 pills to get an effect which is not cost effective.

If you want to go a cheaper route, then just get a concentrate B-Complex, take with Carnitine and Chromium Picolinate.

Good Luck

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are looking for a stimulant that gives you enough kick to allow focus, concentration and muscle output, then try Neuro Awaken XT. I like it as it gives me mental focus, without feeling wired like being on coffee. Rather, I feel that I am more in control of my workout, muscle contraction, lowering the weights with full control, more energy and endurance. It could be the Carnitines in there (GPLC, ALCAR and Carnitine-L-Tartrate) with the vinpocetine and DMAE. Another one I liked was FocusFactor, a friend recommended this. The only problem with that was the need for 8 pills to get an effect which is not cost effective.

If you want to go a cheaper route, then just get a concentrate B-Complex, take with Carnitine and Chromium Picolinate.

Good Luck
Just read the profile on the Neuro Awaken, very impressive to say the least. This is something I would love to see NP carry, looks like a no BS excellent profile.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
keeping this thread going as I am in this boat too. ASGT- anyone know the stim effect of this? Jack3d doesn't keep me awake if I only take 1 scoop. Was thinking of stacking TT-33 with Anadraulic Pump. Any ideas with all the new pre-workout supps out now?
It's a tough call there. ASGT gets me crazy amped and driven, but not necessarily "cracked out." - It's hard to describe. Jack3d at 1sc is certainly less potent than 1sc of ASGT, so I'd be careful. Awesome pre-workout, but if you're worried about staying up late, it's a legit concern. Haha - Anadraulic Pump is great to use at night.

It's up to you man.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's a tough call there. ASGT gets me crazy amped and driven, but not necessarily "cracked out." - It's hard to describe. Jack3d at 1sc is certainly less potent than 1sc of ASGT, so I'd be careful. Awesome pre-workout, but if you're worried about staying up late, it's a legit concern. Haha - Anadraulic Pump is great to use at night.

It's up to you man.
As an avid AS-GT user like Irish, I can say that you would be wary of dosing more than 1 scoop after say 6 PM if you want to be asleep by 11; or you could take some melatonin if sleep is not coming easily (works great for me). I can take as much as 1.5 scoops up until 5 PM and be able to sleep by around 11 PM, anything later and the caffeine can interfere with my sleep cycle.

Anadraulic Pump on the other hand is a perfect low stim compromise that even at 5 scoops will allow you to sleep within a few hours of dosing it. I could take it at 6 PM sometimes and be out by 10:30 no problem, the geranium wares off and I would start to get tired relatively quick after that.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Good Luck
Cool stuff, just a comment: I'm pretty sure picolinate suck donkey balls. You want chloride, non-toxic and more effective.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/chromium/

http://www.mendosa.com/chromium.htm

colbran

Awards
i use premax at night during the week. 9.00pm work outs and i think it is one of the best. saturday or sunday i use astgt its pretty good stuff

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established

Good Luck
Probably going to be switching to evening workouts soon and this sounds good.

Also keeping the thread going. I'm sure i'm not the only one who is tired of sleepless nights.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Strong bumps, but Focus XT Caffeine-Free will give you infinitely more stim-free energy than chromium picolinate lol

Reactions: Jag
Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Strong bumps, but Focus XT Caffeine-Free will give you infinitely more stim-free energy than chromium picolinate lol
Nice. I've been looking at products like these since our DMAA ban.

Sugar Free and Caffeine Free are a big plus for me to.

Caffeine really gives me the jitters which i always found strange since i tolerated ephedra and DMAA quite well.