HMB vs Leucine

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been stumbling across many articles pimping the use of HMB lately and it seems like on paper it would be largely superior to Leucine.

It is a metabolite of Leucine but I am wondering how much more potent does it pack a punch in comparison? Are these studies over-hyped and over-played?

Also, where can one purchase bulk HMB?

Thanks

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
I have been stumbling across many articles pimping the use of HMB lately and it seems like on paper it would be largely superior to Leucine.

It is a metabolite of Leucine but I am wondering how much more potent does it pack a punch in comparison? Are these studies over-hyped and over-played?

Also, where can one purchase bulk HMB?

Thanks
Honestly...does HMB make a difference...yes as far as recovery is concerned in my personal experience. However, the price for HMB makes it pointless in my opinion when you can get more Leucine because it is much cheaper and dose it higher and get close to the same effects if not better. In regard to it being over-hyped or whatever I hold an indifferent stance. I'll use it if the price is right.

As to where you can buy Leucine or HMB...look no further than Nutraplanet (where you should be making your purchases from anyway...best place to buy supplements from on the net).

Hopefully that is some useful feedback for you.

Cheers!:cheers:

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i have used HMB form EAS 2 different time i got nothing from it.
leucine i use from time to time i feel less sore during workout and after.this is just my experiences.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there any taste to HMB powder from NP or is it neutral?

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
From different articles and bb mags ive read that high doses of leucine, >6 stimulate better levels of protein synthesis......HMB has been debated in its effectiveness in several magazines.....pluse I love leucine.....personal opinion

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
I love leucine AND HMB... I don't think NP carries it in bulk. I do buy it somewhere else in bulk and it is a verrrrrry good price. Makes it well worth it as I like to go about 9 g/day.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would you mind telling me WHERE you purchase it (you can PM me).

Also, is there any taste to it?

I love leucine AND HMB... I don't think NP carries it in bulk. I do buy it somewhere else in bulk and it is a verrrrrry good price. Makes it well worth it as I like to go about 9 g/day.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Recently started taking BCAAs intra-workout after nearly a year off and wow!! I forgot how good they are. Recovery is awesome....put on lbms and lost fat in the last two weeks. Will now be a staple for me.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Nutraplanet used to carry both Leucine and HMB in bulk. However, they now apparently only carry Leucine in bulk. No HMB. No matter though...high dosage Leucine works like a charm.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree Sam. I typically add extra leucine to which ever BCAA product I am using

JamieT

Awards
The science

Hey guys.

I just checked over the science on the Pubmed database to see what the difference is... it looks like most Leucine is turned into KIC in the muscle rather than HMB (only a littke bit turns to HMB meaning you would have to take a ton of leucine - not sure if that is healthy?). One study compared taking HMB and high doses of leucine and HMB increased size and strength where leucine didnt. I think the study was in the 1990s at Iowa State University - lost the link.

...but HMB is expensive. I checked optimum nutrition and Blonyx.com, two brands that seem to sell good HMB going by the usual blogs (apparently there are a lot of fake products. legitimate ones are listed at HMB.org) and the price is $55 or so per month, not including shipping! Leucine us much cheaper at $20 a month from brands like PremaFORCE.

I'll try them both out and feed back in a month or so. I ordered some PrimaForce leucine and some Blonyx HMB... should be here in the next few days i'll try the Leucine first. Also starting some good o-lifting over the holidays :)

Back to you soon

JT

nergy

Awards
Do you guys know which dose of HMB works the best daily ?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cost to benefit ratio: Leucine schools HMB all day long

Not worth it!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Cost to benefit ratio: Leucine schools HMB all day long

Not worth it!
This. HMB isn't bunk, but leucine is a far more cost effective option. SNS Leucine tubs come in 100 servings at 5g per serving, which is more than enough to stimulate maximum MPS. $0.20 a pop at maximizing MPS for a few hours...well worth it.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Honestly...does HMB make a difference...yes as far as recovery is concerned in my personal experience. However, the price for HMB makes it pointless in my opinion when you can get more Leucine because it is much cheaper and dose it higher and get close to the same effects if not better. In regard to it being over-hyped or whatever I hold an indifferent stance. I'll use it if the price is right.

As to where you can buy Leucine or HMB...look no further than Nutraplanet (where you should be making your purchases from anyway...best place to buy supplements from on the net).

Hopefully that is some useful feedback for you.

I agree with this. With all the leucine I get from my BCAA supps and daily food intake I get the HMB I need. If the price on HMB drops I would consider picking some up and adding it to my regimen.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Remember when Bill Phillips announced in muscle media 2000, when introducing HMB as a supplement, that it would bring "Deca like gains"? BWA! the guy personally ruined HMB right there. If you can't outdo Leucine, there is no way you can live up to those expectations.

Ligmenos

Ligmenos

Awards
i have used HMB in the past.... around 10gr per day for 2 months... and the result was ''0''.... absolutely nothing

and taste worse than CEE!!!!!!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have used HMB in the past.... around 10gr per day for 2 months... and the result was ''0''.... absolutely nothing

and taste worse than CEE!!!!!!
This.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 11
diggyroxx Supplements 12
MidwestBeast Supplements 0
Supplements 23
Supplements 10