Help me help my mom

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was talking with my mom the other day and she was telling me about her recent doctor vist. She has a couple of typical problems older people get and the doc put her on all these meds. So I am looking for some OTC natural supps to help her.

Her problems are high blood pressure, water retention, legs swelling and high cholestrol.

So far I got her a bottle of fish oil and life support from AI

anything else you guys can think of? I also recomended that she try and monitor her sodium and cut out high salt foods

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
5000 IU/day vit. D to start, celery seed extract for blood pressure, water retention might be from hormones. You can try and get her to eat more fibre which can help a bit with cholesterol since it absorbs dietary cholesterol. Vit. D levels should be checked after a few weeks by testing 25-OH D(25 hydroxy vit. D test). Make sure if she does this that she gets the right test since there is another vit. D test which is not as useful.

You are right about sodium too, no one should be getting more than 2000mg/day unless they have a really good reason(athletes).

High cholesterol can usually be taken care of naturally if it's not overly high. Generally eating healthy and exercising will help quite a bit. Lots of people can get off statin drugs by changing their lifestyle if they're committed to it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A lower carb diet would help her with most of those things Josh. Sunlight is also a great provider of Vitamin D. Although in Jersey aint no sun right now. Find out what she is eating first that will probably be the biggest factor. Excess insulin tells the body to create cholesteral and the LDL bad kind at that it also increases blood pressure quite a bit. Get an idea of what she is drinking and eating and let us know.

aISforANIMAL

Awards
Red Yeast Rice would be something for her to look into to help with maintaining healthy cholestrol levels.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Although nobody wants to be on Meds these days there are some upsides. I'm guessing she got put on an anti-hypertensive, something for hyperlipidemia, and probably a diuretic for water retention?

These meds are something that a person's body can be weened off of rather easily, pending they make the lifestyle changes that can assist this. I would rather see someone stay on meds for period of time and get guaranteed results, vs trying natural herbs and waiver between having the problems and having them potentially go away. There are some forms of hypertension that are caused by the actual heart muscle enlargement, arterioschlerosis, and atherioschlerosis, which might take longer to ween of the meds.

These issues are risk factors of much more serious issues and should be addressed the best way possible. Just my 2 cents.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Those could easily all be associated, but more likely than not has to do with her eating and an inbalance created by it. Considering a two week change in diet whould show immediate progress if it is the cause, it is annoying to me that doctors don't suggest this first but then again, they can not charge you for an office visit if you are healthy. I am sure if the doctor thought her heart was the cuplrit he would have ordered tests. If not then he isn't worth his salt as a Dr. They get hook ups by pharmaceutical companies and reps to prescribe drugs, and to give out the samples to anyone that has one of the associated symptoms to the meds.
I have found homeopathic cures for most everything my wife and I have had. I have also had to remove my wife from 4 different medications that she was prescribed that the sides were worse than the initial reason she took the meds. Most of these meds only mask the symptoms and do nothing for the cause of the problems. Should she go to the doctor yes, should he have tried some non pharmaceutical fixes first YES, but he did not.

Now Josh is asking us to help him with that part of it. I don't think he intends to have her stop everything now, but he doesn't want her on meds to treat symptoms he wants to fix the cause. The medicine isn't a bad option so long as she makes dietary / supplemental changes as well to be able to keep these issues from reoccuring without having to rely on medicine to do it.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Those could easily all be associated, but more likely than not has to do with her eating and an inbalance created by it. Considering a two week change in diet whould show immediate progress if it is the cause, it is annoying to me that doctors don't suggest this first but then again, they can not charge you for an office visit if you are healthy. I am sure if the doctor thought her heart was the cuplrit he would have ordered tests. If not then he isn't worth his salt as a Dr. They get hook ups by pharmaceutical companies and reps to prescribe drugs, and to give out the samples to anyone that has one of the associated symptoms to the meds.
I have found homeopathic cures for most everything my wife and I have had. I have also had to remove my wife from 4 different medications that she was prescribed that the sides were worse than the initial reason she took the meds. Most of these meds only mask the symptoms and do nothing for the cause of the problems. Should she go to the doctor yes, should he have tried some non pharmaceutical fixes first YES, but he did not.

Now Josh is asking us to help him with that part of it. I don't think he intends to have her stop everything now, but he doesn't want her on meds to treat symptoms he wants to fix the cause. The medicine isn't a bad option so long as she makes dietary / supplemental changes as well to be able to keep these issues from reoccuring without having to rely on medicine to do it.
Meds to lower the general risks of the issues. Then homeopathic cures to keep it from getting to the point where it needs meds again. I think that was what my point was.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice would be something for her to look into to help with maintaining healthy cholestrol levels.
Natural statin... my understanding was the FDA removed the active component. Which is why it disappeared from the new Cycle Support 2.

Low GI diet and particularly oats. I nearly halved my cholesterol on oats.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Meds to lower the general risks of the issues. Then homeopathic cures to keep it from getting to the point where it needs meds again. I think that was what my point was.
Yeah I see what you were saying, we are on similiar pages but I was saying in my experience if the doctor doesn't have a diagnosis of why the symptom is there treating the symptom masks the issue behind it and also that prescription drugs often offer more negative side effects then natural remedies that often correct the issue in the same amount of time or even more quickly in some cases.

My wife was put on medicine to treat insomnia, it also happened to be a blood pressure regulating medicine my wife already has low blood pressure this almost killed her. Her BP dropped to 40/80 nurses and everyone freaked out at the hospital. Dr.s are not just in it to help people anymore they are more about helping themselves. Has became such a business that the bottom line comes before trying to actually cure ailments instead of treating symptoms No money for doctors in cured healthy people.

For example, a good natural diuretic that would help her out is fresh asparugus spears, it will not only make her produce more urea but it also attracts the toxins in your blood and tissues into the urea where it is excreted. That is why your pee smells so bad when you eat asparugus.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

Now Josh is asking us to help him with that part of it. I don't think he intends to have her stop everything now, but he doesn't want her on meds to treat symptoms he wants to fix the cause.
I mentioned the issues with docs and being quick to hand out meds in a thread 4 weeks ago or so and was basically called a liar.

I can't see how people cannot see that docs are docs in order to make money. Some do not have you in their best intentions, some do.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
One thing I want to ask is why was she put on these meds. What was her diagnosis and what is her age?

She may have serious issues to a point where nautural herbs do not provide enough protection currently.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Josh only listed symptoms and no diagnosis which leads me to believe there was not a diagnosis of the root cause or not that he knows of.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Any doc SHOULD have pulled blood work, and heart examines before putting her on thse meds.

Josh, what is she taking, why(diag) and age.

If he did not diagnose her at all, no test or anything except word of her mouth, I suggest immediate change of docs.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well he said she had high cholesteral so they did some blood work.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you guys about many of the meds that doctors hand out. I have seen anti-hypertensives, high-chol, and diuretics to be very effective and very harmless. I also know that these specific meds are very possible to be weened off of. I don't think any MD would hand someone a High BP med without doing a set of blood pressures and running labs (hopefully).

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was talking with my mom the other day and she was telling me about her recent doctor vist. She has a couple of typical problems older people get and the doc put her on all these meds. So I am looking for some OTC natural supps to help her.

Her problems are high blood pressure, water retention, legs swelling and high cholestrol.

So far I got her a bottle of fish oil and life support from AI

anything else you guys can think of? I also recomended that she try and monitor her sodium and cut out high salt foods
Life Support is used by a lot of people as a general health supp.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Look into potassium bicarbonate, magnesium citrate and coral calcium. A lot of BP problems stem from basic mineral imbalance and it's a lot nicer way to treat the problem than the meds.