Memory/Focus Supplement Non-stim

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
What happend to all the good focus formulas? Does anyone remember clear edge back in the day that nutra was selling at 10 bucks a bottle? This stuff was great. Kept you alert without the caffeine,crash or making you jittery. Looking around alot of these blends are discontinued or if one is available it contains caffeine. I'm trying to find a good one to keep me awake cause I'm getting sensitive to stimulants again. Any suggestions?

Cyplex

Awards
I take Gotu Kola extract (12:1 extract, standardized to 16% triterpenes to be exact). It doesn't contain caffeine but acts like a stimulant. This may sound strange but although it is a stimulant I feel very relaxed and focused. The effects are felt within 15 minutes and lasts about 3-4 hours. I normally take it in the morning and is helping me overcome my addiction to coffee.

I use Gotu Kola for social anxiety and has worked wonders. It really is a diamond in the rough....I wish NP would go ahead and start selling a real good extract of this stuff.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Keep it cheap, keep it simple. Tyrosine and ALCAR are cheap and effective bulk powders that work well exactly as you describe focus.

I personally find that adding a Bcomplex to SamE on an empty stomach is a very potent mood enhancing combo, especially on an empty stomach. That being said, SamE is pretty expensive so you might want to try a short run for like 2 weeks before you drop a lot of cash on a longer run... just to make sure it's worth it for you.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I take Gotu Kola extract (12:1 extract, standardized to 16% triterpenes to be exact). It doesn't contain caffeine but acts like a stimulant. This may sound strange but although it is a stimulant I feel very relaxed and focused. The effects are felt within 15 minutes and lasts about 3-4 hours. I normally take it in the morning and is helping me overcome my addiction to coffee.

I use Gotu Kola for social anxiety and has worked wonders. It really is a diamond in the rough....I wish NP would go ahead and start selling a real good extract of this stuff.
Interesting, Do u know how it works? Acetylcholine receptors?

Keep it cheap, keep it simple. Tyrosine and ALCAR are cheap and effective bulk powders that work well exactly as you describe focus.

I personally find that adding a Bcomplex to SamE on an empty stomach is a very potent mood enhancing combo, especially on an empty stomach. That being said, SamE is pretty expensive so you might want to try a short run for like 2 weeks before you drop a lot of cash on a longer run... just to make sure it's worth it for you.
Tyrosine and Alcar does seem like a good combo, I still have some tyrosine left, I ran out of ALCAR. I'm currently taking L-trytophan and 5-htp to lift my mood but this doesn't help too much with mental focus or energy. I actually started taking a 500mg cap of tyrosine with my tryptophan, 5-htp stack but I think I need to dose it higher. Alcar seems like a good addition too.

SamE is expensive, I'm going with the tryptophan,5-htp right now and see what happens. I do get plenty of b-vitamins.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally enjoy about 500mg of tyrosine but that's definately NOT the consensus. I see a lot of people run it in the 1-2g dose range. It's possilbe that you need to dose higher. FYI bulk powder is cheap and tasteless.

I don't recommend 5htp or tryptophan as mood enhancers unless you're stacking with some serious stimmage. Same goes for mucana IME. I doubt they're elevating your mood, they are more relaxing IME and it's tough to balance that relaxation with focus/energy unless you're taking it with ephedrine, for example.

There's some theories that suggest dosing B vitamins at the same time as SamE on an empty stomach helps increase absorption of the SamE. I've done it this way in the past, and it seemed to work for me. On the flip side, B vitamins on their own do nothing for me probably, as you suggested, because we already get plenty in our diets.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I have a lot of experience with Tyrosine and usually have it on hand at all times. I used to find 1.5grams before a workout was great for motivating me to workout. I have to take the tryptophan/5-htp right now cause I'm going through a low period and horrible mood. I'm pretty well aware of the effects of this also. I'm stimmed out at the moment so I can't handle any more stims that's why I wanted something non-stim. They will give me anxiety at the moment.

I dosed 1,000mg of tyrosine this morning with 500mg of L-tryptophan. I stayed awake all morning and felt great all day. What's wierd is I felt more energized then I have while I was taking the stims. Kind of shows me the stims were having a negative effect on me as well as I believe the tryptophan/5-htp is starting to kick in because I woke up easier today and got going better then I have in a long time. I will continue with the Tyrosine with my Tryptophan/5-htp. Probably only 500mg 2x a day. Maybe up the dose before a workout. I will probably order some Alcar too. Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's helped me put together the right protocol.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good point on being stimmed out. It's a tough rut to get out of. I litterally have to put my stims in a box and bury them in the back of my closet when I want to go off of them :laugh: If a meltdown cap or brokaid tab is within arm's reach, I can resist

When funds allow, try a trial with SamE 400mg first thing in the morning with your B complex... empty stomach of course. IMO it's ALMOST as potent as Xanax in terms of mood alteration.

fayd

Awards
I'm on piracetam currently (6g/day for 4 weeks) and have not noticed anything. That said, for stim free focus, I've found Ultima to be unmatched. Combined w/ a small amount of caffeine (80-120mg) I get the focus I normally get from 40mg 1,3dmaa and 200 mg caffeine. W/o stims the effect is still potent. It could get pricey as a study stack, but if you are a lifter it has your creatine covered and some BA in there as well. Also, since one scoop is sufficient, you are paying 1.25/serving. That is in line w/ many other pre-packaged nootropic stacks. 1 scoop generally gives me a boost for 2-3 hours.

fayd

Awards
Celc, very interested in what b complex you add to the samE. Thanks for your input.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Good point on being stimmed out. It's a tough rut to get out of. I litterally have to put my stims in a box and bury them in the back of my closet when I want to go off of them :laugh: If a meltdown cap or brokaid tab is within arm's reach, I can resist

When funds allow, try a trial with SamE 400mg first thing in the morning with your B complex... empty stomach of course. IMO it's ALMOST as potent as Xanax in terms of mood alteration.
It's interesting how something good can turn on you and become harmful. It's always good to listen to your body. I was using bronkaid as well regularly before workouts. Often with a cup of coffee or Green Tea. It worked well for awhile but then I noticed I was starting to get symptoms of anxiety and I am prone to anxiety so I knew it's time for a break. I can handle stims when i'm in low periods of stress in my life but I'm coming up on a big move and that's when the stims started to bother me. Stress goes up and stims enhance my anxiety. The samE is interesting. I haven't ran that in a long long time and when I did it was short and low dose. Not long enough to feel any effects. Most likely at some point I will try that in the future. Thanks for the input.

trojanman1016

Awards
PreMax by premordial performances is listed as a preworkout supplement although it has no stimulants and i had great focus. I dont know about memory, i wasnt really observing that, but i did have greaqt focus and its by far my favorite preworkout ever!!!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fayd,
Hmmm, I'm drawing a blank on which exact complex I used. I believe I based my choice on 1 specific B vitamin that is supposed to enhance SamE response. I bet it's been almost 2 years since I did my research... ick I need to clean up my knowledge

Flaw,
I totally hear ya man. Stims are great when life isn't in the way. IME there wasn't really much effect from 200mg SamE. But 400mg was pretty stinkin potent

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lucidrol fits the bill and works VERY well. A full serving has a strong effect; 1 cap is perfect for me.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
So I'm up to dosing 2 grams of Tyrosine and 1.5 grams of Alcar and it keeps me awake but I'm still a bit sluggish. If I dose higher I might be ok but my tolerance is so ridiculous. Not even feeling a dopamine rush from dosing this 2x a day. I'm possibly looking into L-dopa. The major experience I'm had with this consisted of using Mucuna pruriens and it worked great. That was years ago though and my tolerance was way lower to anything then. 5-hour energy often works the best for me as far as energy drinks goes but even them I have built tolerance too. I really believe it was the phenylalanine and tyrosine in them that gave me the boost so the problem here seems to be tolerance once again. What you guys think? Give L-dopa a shot or higher dosages of tyrosine? Maybe DLPA? I think I need some more tips but I also think I'm looking to work on the dopamine area.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lucidrol fits the bill and works VERY well. A full serving has a strong effect; 1 cap is perfect for me.
Has my vote!

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I'm up to dosing 2 grams of Tyrosine and 1.5 grams of Alcar and it keeps me awake but I'm still a bit sluggish. If I dose higher I might be ok but my tolerance is so ridiculous. Not even feeling a dopamine rush from dosing this 2x a day. I'm possibly looking into L-dopa. The major experience I'm had with this consisted of using Mucuna pruriens and it worked great. That was years ago though and my tolerance was way lower to anything then. 5-hour energy often works the best for me as far as energy drinks goes but even them I have built tolerance too. I really believe it was the phenylalanine and tyrosine in them that gave me the boost so the problem here seems to be tolerance once again. What you guys think? Give L-dopa a shot or higher dosages of tyrosine? Maybe DLPA? I think I need some more tips but I also think I'm looking to work on the dopamine area.
I would look into 1-carboxy and/or SuperSap from USPowders. These always got me going for my workouts and I did not take stims with them. 1-carboxy has some potent effects and is supposed to promote optimum dopamine levels I believe (something I read from USP in an old thread). Plus, if you take the 1-carboxy in the AM and at night you will get excellent rest... that alone could deal with your energy issues.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Did you look at Lucidrol?
Yea, I did, I didn't mean to ignore your post.. I looked at it but I'm not sure that's the ingredient list I'm looking for. Even though it says stimulant free, PEA and rhodiola rosea can be quite stimulating. PEA for sure. Lucidrol looks like the combination of some uppers and downers. How would u explain how u felt on it, especially when compared to a stimulant product?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I would look into 1-carboxy and/or SuperSap from USPowders. These always got me going for my workouts and I did not take stims with them. 1-carboxy has some potent effects and is supposed to promote optimum dopamine levels I believe (something I read from USP in an old thread). Plus, if you take the 1-carboxy in the AM and at night you will get excellent rest... that alone could deal with your energy issues.
I have some lying around. I originally got it for sleep awhile back but it kept me up all night. I changed the doses many times and found that it always gave me energy. So taking it during the day may be a option?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sns8778 Supplements 62
Anabolics 12
NattyForLife Supplements 48
ohiostate2827 Supplements 10
TexasLifter89 Supplements 23