Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i have had my mom on fish oil for over a year now, her doctor just prescribed lipitor to lower her cholesterol- my question is, are there any contraindications of taking fish oil while also taking lipitor? does anyone have any experience with this?:dunno:

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have had my mom on fish oil for over a year now, her doctor just prescribed lipitor to lower her cholesterol- my question is, are there any contraindications of taking fish oil while also taking lipitor? does anyone have any experience with this?:dunno:
my father takes lipitor. a year ago i bought him fish oil, he refused to take it without asking his doctor. his doctor told him thats its good and he can take 1 or 2 a day.

other than that, i dont trust doctors, and i dont believe they know crap about natural medication unless they went and did independent research.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my father takes lipitor. a year ago i bought him fish oil, he refused to take it without asking his doctor. his doctor told him thats its good and he can take 1 or 2 a day.

other than that, i dont trust doctors, and i dont believe they know crap about natural medication unless they went and did independent research.
that is the reason i am asking people on this forum their experiences with fish oil/lipitor- her doctor immediately said no-i believe because he feels if he didn't prescribe it, it won't work.

glockgod

glockgod

Awards
How do you find a doctor that did that kind of research?

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
BigT, my wife, my sister and many, many friends, were on Vytorin and more often Lipitor. Both of these BigPharma Statiins have long records of side effects, both mfgs Pfizer and Merck are documented snake oil merchants who manipulate data and buy doctors' support through a wide range of illegal and quasi legal methods. They have all changed and remain on the all-natural statin Red Yeast Rice (600 mgs 1 or 2X ED) and supplement that with 100 mgs of CoQH Ubiquinol (please note this is not the old CoQ10/Ubiquinone). They typicaly dropped 25 or 30 points in their Cholesterol and completey got rid of the typical leg pains etc that come with Lipitor. For most of them they have added Fish Oil as well. My wife who had decades of congestive heart failure ie Atrial Fibrulation has been taking 6 gel caps ED ie 6 gms of Fish Oil which equates to 1.8 gms of Omega 3s. I take 7 gms for 2.1 gms of the Omegas. She has been repeatedly tested and found clear for a year now of all AFib and her cardiologist and my best buds strongly recommend they continue it. For my bud Gary(whom I started first on the FO), his cardiologist suggested recently that this 3 part combo was working so well that he should add a second cap of 600 mg RYR.

While I am afraid I did not answer your question directly perhaps several things show up through our experiences here in Oldfartsville:

RYR is a great, safe, substitute for Lipitor (Lipitor costs around $100 bucks a month and makes lots of money for both Big Pharma and for your Dad's doctor for prescribing it.)

It is highly recommended that you always supplement natural as well as synthetic statins with Ubiquinol or at least the weaker Ubiquinone.

High doses of Fish Oil to reach the performance "sweet spot" of 2 gms in Omega 3s is very effective, safe and doctor recommended as an adjunct to the above combo.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bigt, its fine. The literature is full of references to where the two taken together are more beneficial than either alone.

CVD is much more than just cholesterol. Does no one else think it odd that statins are leading the sales for pharmaceutical companies, yet CVD is still a leading cause of death in the US?

Did you/she ask the doctor?

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
that is the reason i am asking people on this forum their experiences with fish oil/lipitor- her doctor immediately said no-i believe because he feels if he didn't prescribe it, it won't work.
Sorry. Just read this.

Is this a general practitioner or a cardiologist?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
BigT, my wife, my sister and many, many friends, were on Vytorin and more often Lipitor. Both of these BigPharma Statiins have long records of side effects, both mfgs Pfizer and Merck are documented snake oil merchants who manipulate data and buy doctors' support through a wide range of illegal and quasi legal methods. They have all changed and remain on the all-natural statin Red Yeast Rice (600 mgs 1 or 2X ED) and supplement that with 100 mgs of CoQH Ubiquinol (please note this is not the old CoQ10/Ubiquinone). They typicaly dropped 25 or 30 points in their Cholesterol and completey got rid of the typical leg pains etc that come with Lipitor. For most of them they have added Fish Oil as well. My wife who had decades of congestive heart failure ie Atrial Fibrulation has been taking 6 gel caps ED ie 6 gms of Fish Oil which equates to 1.8 gms of Omega 3s. I take 7 gms for 2.1 gms of the Omegas. She has been repeatedly tested and found clear for a year now of all AFib and her cardiologist and my best buds strongly recommend they continue it. For my bud Gary(whom I started first on the FO), his cardiologist suggested recently that this 3 part combo was working so well that he should add a second cap of 600 mg RYR.

While I am afraid I did not answer your question directly perhaps several things show up through our experiences here in Oldfartsville:

RYR is a great, safe, substitute for Lipitor (Lipitor costs around $100 bucks a month and makes lots of money for both Big Pharma and for your Dad's doctor for prescribing it.)

It is highly recommended that you always supplement natural as well as synthetic statins with Ubiquinol or at least the weaker Ubiquinone.

High doses of Fish Oil to reach the performance "sweet spot" of 2 gms in Omega 3s is very effective, safe and doctor recommended as an adjunct to the above combo.
dutch, really great to hear your opinion, but my mother is old and stubborn and hesitant to take advice from me-i did get her on the fish oil but now she is concerned about continuing on fish oil+lipitor. i will talk to her about the ryr and ubiquinol. the worse part about it she has always been very healthy, blood tests showed very high cholesterol but she says she feels fine.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bigt, its fine. The literature is full of references to where the two taken together are more beneficial than either alone.

CVD is much more than just cholesterol. Does no one else think it odd that statins are leading the sales for pharmaceutical companies, yet CVD is still a leading cause of death in the US?

Did you/she ask the doctor?
nate, thank you for the reply. do you have a link where fish oil is used in conjunction with lipitor? as to asking doc-she is intimidated by doctors and usually doesn't question what they tell her-:dunno:

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
RYR sold in the US since 2006 does not contain the statins that are beneficial, just keep that in mind. Might still be available from an overseas company but I wouldn't bet on it. Big Pharma complained the natural stuff was too effective. These big drug companies running the country really is an epidemic, almost as bad as the crappy food most places put in the shelves. I run into this problem with my wife, if a Doc says it's so it's right. Any Doc that says fish oil is bad is a raving lunatic.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
RYR sold in the US since 2006 does not contain the statins that are beneficial, just keep that in mind. Might still be available from an overseas company but I wouldn't bet on it. Big Pharma complained the natural stuff was too effective. These big drug companies running the country really is an epidemic, almost as bad as the crappy food most places put in the shelves. I run into this problem with my wife, if a Doc says it's so it's right. Any Doc that says fish oil is bad is a raving lunatic.
i used to have that problem with my wife too, but she has come to trust me on these things-my mom, now that is another story.
i will have to see about a source for good ryr.
thank you for your reply.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Exercise and diet is the way to go. I don't have my patients take lipitor endless they exercise first and than from there we see what there numbers are at. Also we perscribe fish oil at 1gram epa/dha at 4 caps. Threw the doctor not sold in stores.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19