Cortisol blockers?

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A friend of mine told me your not supposed to use cort blockers close to a weight lifting session but couldnt remember why. Is there any truth to this?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine told me your not supposed to use cort blockers close to a weight lifting session but couldnt remember why. Is there any truth to this?
Well for one, i'd take them as directed. Two I thought you'd want to take them closer to a workout. I was under the impression that working out causes your body to create cortisol (working out doesn't make you grow...it actually breaks things down, it's the rest that makes you grow). I was also under the impression that spiking your insulin pre-workout can act as a cortisol blocker.

Someone chime in and correct me if i'm wrong.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm no expert on cort blockers, only ever used one, but i thought u take it after the workout due to ur body creating the stress during your workout, but i forget what the bottle says, i'd dose it based on what they say

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
You'd take them after workout to promote test levels and muscle growth.

You'll generate cortisol during workout and the excercise determines the amount. Cardio generates alot of cortisol.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I personally always have taken them upon waking up and preworkout.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Cortisol levels rise & drop during the course of a day(diurnal variation). They are highest upon waking, 6-8am. This is an obvious time to take a cort blocker. Also, after a workout obviously. However, with a proper intake of complete proteins after a workout, this should have some cortisol controlling results as well. Intra drinks with only BCAAS claim to have cortisol blunting effects as well, but why when we have the post shake with complete proteins coming to us? A cort blocker pre w.o. makes sense but is not the only way to stave off negative effects of cortisol. DHEA, cissus & phosphatidylserine are good non-suppresive hormonal choices w/ DHEA being the most cost effective route imo.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That is why I always have taken them when I do. When I wake up & preworkout. I see no reason why taking them preworkout wouldn't help blunt cortisol for during and postworkout. Unless your workout last 3-4 hours.:dunno:

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol levels rise & drop during the course of a day(diurnal variation). They are highest upon waking, 6-8am. This is an obvious time to take a cort blocker. Also, after a workout obviously. However, with a proper intake of complete proteins after a workout, this should have some cortisol controlling results as well. Intra drinks with only BCAAS claim to have cortisol blunting effects as well, but why when we have the post shake with complete proteins coming to us? A cort blocker pre w.o. makes sense but is not the only way to stave off negative effects of cortisol. DHEA, cissus & phosphatidylserine are good non-suppresive hormonal choices w/ DHEA being the most cost effective route imo.

what i don't understand is, everyone says to take cort blockers upon rising because thats when cortisol is highest....also post workout.

but most people EAT at both of those times, releasing insulin. insulin blocks cortisol.........so doesnt that make cort blockers useless unless you are on a no/low carb diet?

edit : didn't notice that someone above mentioned taking a cort blocker PRE workout to blunt cortisol during lifting. that is a good use in my opinion

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Agreed cortisol is sky high in the morning. Pre- vs. post- workout :dunno: just the cortisol response could help drive the workout? Anyway you don't want it post workout and the real debate is whether an insulin spike is a good idea - that will trigger cortisol.

Agreed protein will anti-cortisol properties

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
very interesting, i was unaware that insulin blunts cortisol. So a cort blocker first thing in the morning for fasted cardio would be a must

purebred

I'd like to play devil's avocado for the sake of discussion :)

Is it really a good idea to "block cortisol"? Do cortisol blocking supplements literally block cortisol anyhow or is it more of a decreasing of cortisol levels. Although cortisol may have its negative impacts on muscle building, if I recall correctly, it plays many other critically significant roles in the human body as well.

Utlimately, is it really beneficial to supplement with a cortisol blocking supplement?

I do remember supplementing with Cort-Bloc back in the days of me first starting out and I believe I also consumed a serving PWO as well. I'd deduce blocking anything in the body from being produced may not be such a good idea but I'm no scientist or healthcare professional by any means so what do I know?

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

"by decreasing the translocation of glucose transporters to the cell membrane,[6] specially GLUT4[7]. However cortisol increases glycogen synthesis (glycogenesis) in the liver.[8]"
ouch

"Cortisol can weaken the activity of the immune system. "

"It lowers bone formation thus favoring development of osteoporosis in the long term"

"It shuts down the reproductive system, resulting in an increase for the chance of miscarriage and, in some cases, temporary infertility. Fertility returns after cortisol levels are reduced back to normal levels [37]."

Only positives are helping w/ diarhea (na/K), anti inflammatory effects and cleaning the blood of certain stuff

purebred

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

"by decreasing the translocation of glucose transporters to the cell membrane,[6] specially GLUT4[7]. However cortisol increases glycogen synthesis (glycogenesis) in the liver.[8]"
ouch

"Cortisol can weaken the activity of the immune system. "

"It lowers bone formation thus favoring development of osteoporosis in the long term"

"It shuts down the reproductive system, resulting in an increase for the chance of miscarriage and, in some cases, temporary infertility. Fertility returns after cortisol levels are reduced back to normal levels [37]."

Only positives are helping w/ diarhea (na/K), anti inflammatory effects and cleaning the blood of certain stuff
how much cortisol are we talking though? it goes without saying, everything in moderation. the body seems to thrive off balance (i.e. homeostasis), no?

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cortisol is present for certain actions in the body. But what we want and do as bodybuilders, powerlifters, etc. does not agree with what coritisol wants and does. We are in a constant struggle with our own bodies, trying to impose a level of muscularity that the body deems as a liability ( think energy ). Lucky for you and me, the ones before us who paved the hard earned road, found all these tools and paths to create the body we desire. Totaly eliminating cortisol is not the goal, just keeping it from running rampant is.

I take EndoAmp Max from Primordial Performance. Dose it an hour before working out to circulate in the body. The body's response of releasing cortisol due to stress ( lifting ), will be blunted.