High vitamin D level = high testosterone level

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

There’s an amazingly simple way for western men to raise their testosterone level. All they have to do is take a supplement containing extra vitamin D. At least, this is what we deduce from an epidemiological study done at the Medical University Graz in Austria, which will soon be published in Clinical Endocrinology.

Vitamin D is actually a hormone – one that regulates three percent of our genes. Among those genes are a few that are responsible for the production of testosterone in the Leydig cells. So vitamin D is an important vitamin, certainly once you realise that an overwhelming majority of the western population has too little vitamin D in their blood.

This is because our food contains too little vitamin D, so we have to rely mainly on the vitamin D that our body makes. When exposed to sunlight our skin cells convert cholesterol into vitamin D. But we get too little sunlight and are therefore unable to make enough vitamin D.

So does that mean that most men in the West therefore make too little testosterone?

This is the question that the Austrians set out to answer. So they examined the blood of 2300 men whose average age was just over sixty. Only eleven percent of them had sufficient vitamin D in their blood. And indeed: the more vitamin D the men had in their blood, the higher their testosterone levels and their concentration of free testosterone [FAI].

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

well, the problem about calciferol (vit d) is the manegemnt of Calcium. If you exceed the vid D dosage You are in a serius risk of a cardiac attack!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.37%

I take 4,000 IUs a day on top of the 800 IUs I get from my multi. If you want to see if you are deficient ask your doctor for a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. You want between 50-80 ng/ml. I got this info from the article below, I suggest reading it.

Vitamin D
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.79%

Any idea what the source study is for this report?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.37%

false .......I was supplementing with vitamin d and my test was low as ****....the vitamin d level was off the charts and I have the bloodowrk to prove it
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuttchicks View Post
    false .......I was supplementing with vitamin d and my test was low as ****....the vitamin d level was off the charts and I have the bloodowrk to prove it
    That doesn't mean it's false, it means your low test levels were caused by something else.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.52%

vitamin D is a prohormone. or sumthin like that, but is only converted into that when you are under sunlight.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

luckily i take a multi with 1000 uis vit D so do not have to worry about extra vit d. once in a while I do take an extra 2000 uis
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%

I think personally, There is a huge differnce between synthetic vitamin D, and the one made in nature, or maybe not.

maybe you need sunlight for vitamin D to work. If youre taking a huge dose of Vitamin D and not getting sunlight, you probally wont benefit.

Ive read other articles about sunlight, and its positive benefits. Its best to get extra sunlight then taking extra synthetic vitamin D.

I also think, i would say know, that vitamins found in nature are more bio-valuable and work better.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.82%

Actually most supplements are vitamin D3, the active form that sunlight converts other vitamin D precursors (D1, D2) into. And all the research is on supplements. In other words, sun exposure is not needed to get the demonstrated benefit.

Anyone not taking at least 1000IU D3 ED at this point is simply not keeping up with the research.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRoadTo View Post
    Actually most supplements are vitamin D3, the active form that sunlight converts other vitamin D precursors (D1, D2) into. And all the research is on supplements. In other words, sun exposure is not needed to get the demonstrated benefit.

Anyone not taking at least 1000IU D3 ED at this point is simply not keeping up with the research.
    maybe people who are also deficient in cholesterol, dont benefit from VIT D3 supplements
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.64%

i have 50,000IU vitamin d3. its nice only having to take one tiny capsule a week. although i do take an extra 1 if im feeling a cold come on
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

So much misinformation in such a short thread. wow.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Read. Learn. Then post.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.98%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post

Read. Learn. Then post.
    Ouch.....

Good read.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.67%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post

Read. Learn. Then post.
    Thanks Bioman... since implimenting the advice found in this article as of a few months ago, I am FAR less depressed (depression is a direct result of not getting enough vitamin D from sunlight), immune system is up and test levels feel like it has been steadily climbing. I also have much less brain fog (result of lowered depression). KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.59%

I live in a rain forest that gets pretty nasty during the wintertime. I take roughly 4-6000IU a day and more if I feel that I may be getting sick.Less during the Summer as I get more than enough direct sunlight. Since supplementing though(Over a year now) I have not gotten sick although everyone around me on many occasions have. I was usually prone to sickness especially in the wintertime. I am a believer and a supplementer for life.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Ditto Ronin. I get no sun in the winter and used to get sick 2-4 times per winter but now that's been cut to perhaps 1x per year. I take 5,000 to 15,000 iu per day. Way less seasonal depression as well. Test levels...dunno, can't afford to test.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94%

so I should just stay outside in the sunlight more?

durr
  19. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.98%

Quote Originally Posted by porcha View Post
    so I should just stay outside in the sunlight more?

durr
    Sunlight isnt the answer. There is still debate on what being "deficient" in vitamin D levels really means. A NEJM study that suggested getting sunlight or oging tanning had the main author receive funding, LOTS of funding, for him and his reasearch from tanning bed councils and companies.

More studies are being done, the data is coming in. Thery are suggesting that 2-3 minutes a day of summer sunlight would do the trick, supplementing with 800 to 1000iu a day depending on your baseline D levels should suffice, go for levels of 30 or greater.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.09%

So do we all agree here that the RDA for vitamin D just doesn't do the trick?
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.8%

I've been taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 and 24,000 iu of vitamin A daily for three months now. I haven't been getting the aches and pains I usually get during the winter months. I'm thinking about doubling both doses. Maybe next winter.
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I take 10k-15k IU D3/day.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.59%

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDeer View Post
    Sunlight isnt the answer. There is still debate on what being "deficient" in vitamin D levels really means. A NEJM study that suggested getting sunlight or oging tanning had the main author receive funding, LOTS of funding, for him and his reasearch from tanning bed councils and companies.

More studies are being done, the data is coming in. Thery are suggesting that 2-3 minutes a day of summer sunlight would do the trick, supplementing with 800 to 1000iu a day depending on your baseline D levels should suffice, go for levels of 30 or greater.
    There is also the time you go out in the sun and where you live to consider. Gotta love Vitamin D.
  25. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%

Relieving deficiencies is one thing, but at the back of your mind remember that these are fat soluble and at the end of the day can cause toxicities.
  26. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.32%

Quote Originally Posted by anbes View Post
    well, the problem about calciferol (vit d) is the manegemnt of Calcium. If you exceed the vid D dosage You are in a serius risk of a cardiac attack!
    Proof? All evidence suggests vitamin D helps the calcium to go to the right places and not into your artery walls. Also, it's suggested that you should be getting 1200-2500mg calcium per day since if your calcium is low then it can be pulled from your bones.
  27. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.51%

i eat alot of organic yogurt that has d3 in it and i take 1000iu of d3 plus what ever is in my multi-v. when the clock spring forward i stop the d3 supp and get plenty of sunshine.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.61%

I have been taking 2000 iu's for around the past two years.. I just got a vitamin d test and I showed up at 32 which is at the bottom. The best thing you can do is test for it and then supplement based on your needs. 90% of people need more vitamin d or could benifit from more.. I am know supplementing with 8000 or 6000 a day.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.03%

i do 1000 iu's during summer, 2000 iu's any other time, i work outside about 8 hours a day so i get plenty of natty vit d, plus what ever is in my multi, which is pretty low around 200 iu's i think..
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.89%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i take 4000 to 6000 iu a day, going to move it up to 10000 soon.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.61%

Quote Originally Posted by zodiiac523 View Post
    i do 1000 iu's during summer, 2000 iu's any other time, i work outside about 8 hours a day so i get plenty of natty vit d, plus what ever is in my multi, which is pretty low around 200 iu's i think..

Even if your outside and getting sun, that doesn't mean you will have more vitamin d, in theory you should. I used to get a lolt of sun as well and still was low in vitamin d but that was a while ago I was still supplementing then.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.17%

I take 10,000 IUs of D3 ED and try to keep my level around 65 ng. My wife who is fighting cancer takes 20,000 IUs ED with the approval of her Oncologist, Radiologist and Neuro-Surgeon here at the Shands center at U of Fl. When she took 10,000 IUs ED she could not get above the high 60's but with 20,000 ED she is close to her goal of 95 ng. Remember the farther north you live the more likely you will be D3 deficient. The old standard of 30 ng is no longer considered valid except by Big Pharma who would like to keep you sick as s**t. Canada now advises their residents to get a good 2,000 IUs ED as do other countries but that is still an awfully low level. Remember age and size decrease your ability to generate D3 via sun exposure hence the need to supplement heavily.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.03%

it may be time to up my iu's then...
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.12%

[quote=rckvl7;2292810]I take 4,000 IUs a day on top of the 800 IUs I get from my multi. If you want to see if you are deficient ask your doctor for a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. You want between 50-80 ng/ml. I got this info from the article below, I suggest reading it.

I take 5000iu ed alogn with 400iu in my multi myself.
    I FEEL GREAT!!
    its one of the best things iv added to my supp stack .
    I been takign this higher dose of vit-D for about a year now.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.12%

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I take 10,000 IUs of D3 ED and try to keep my level around 65 ng. My wife who is fighting cancer takes 20,000 IUs ED with the approval of her Oncologist, Radiologist and Neuro-Surgeon here at the Shands center at U of Fl. When she took 10,000 IUs ED she could not get above the high 60's but with 20,000 ED she is close to her goal of 95 ng. Remember the farther north you live the more likely you will be D3 deficient. [B]The old standard of 30 ng is no longer considered valid except by Big Pharma who would like to keep you sick as s**t.[/B] Canada now advises their residents to get a good 2,000 IUs ED as do other countries but that is still an awfully low level. Remember age and size decrease your ability to generate D3 via sun exposure hence the need to supplement heavily.
    BUMPP BUMPP BUMPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  36. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.32%

Also, for any overweight people, they will need to take more vit. D to get the same plasma levels as a non overweight person because it's fat soluble. Best thing is to get the 25OH-D test to see where you are.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.61%

Vitamin d is considered a hormone. The more you have the more it will boost dopamine and thus testosterone along with it which is why many experience more energy. It also helps lh stay alive and working nicely. Many people that are on TRT don't respond well because they are vitamin d deficient, that right there shows how important it is and gives your hormones a longer life span basically.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.33%

true! even those with the best diets may need to supplement. after getting bloodwork done, I was surprised to find my levels were low.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.97%

Epic bump there bro.

Similar Forum Threads

1. high creatinine level?
    By ninociamik in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 07:31 AM
  2. Is this high e2 level?
    By SHaneA655 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
  3. Overtraining for high level athletes?
    By The Anarchist in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
  4. Haemoblobin level high high high!!
    By Sarahh in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 08:41 PM