PH's: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Testosterone supplement causes aggressive prostate cancer

A designer supplement containing hormone ingredients left two men with an aggressive form of prostate cancer, write two researchers from Texas in Clinical Cancer Research. The makers of the supplement had added substances to the product that were not listed on the label.

Which product it is the researchers are not willing to say “for legal reasons”. They do say that each capsule of the supplement contains, according to the label, 100 mg chrysin, 100 mg red deer velvet antler and 60 mg of a ‘proprietary blend’ that contains six prohormones. The six prohormones, which are supposed to convert into testosterone, included -diones and -dioles.

Lab tests showed however that the supplement did not contain the ingredients named. Estradiol and testosterone did show up in the lab tests though. The product probably contained more active ingredients, reading between the lines of the description of the effects. One of the men – a black man aged 51 – had gained nine kilograms of muscle mass in eleven months. The other man – a white 67-year-old – had gained nearly five kilograms of muscle mass in six months and noticed that he also had more energy. Taking testosterone orally won’t give you this effect.

Fitness magazines advertise the supplement. The men bought the product online because they wanted more muscles, energy and libido.

After eleven and ten months respectively the men became ill. They both lost a lot of weight. The doctors discovered that the men had prostate cancer. One already had secondaries in his lungs and brains. When the researchers wrote their article the men were still alive, but the disease was still very much present. The two men were given anti-androgens and medicines to block the production of LH.

To gain more certainty as to whether the supplements had caused the disease in the men, the researchers did an experiment with prostate cancer cells. They exposed the cells to the supplement [HDDS below, Ed.] and to testosterone.

The curves in the graph above show the speed at which the prostate cancer cells grew in a concentration of 100 micrograms of supplement per millilitre, and 24 picograms of testosterone per millilitre.

The researchers also did an experiment in which they exposed the cancer cells to the supplement and to the anti-androgen bicalutamide. And this is the most sinister part of the publication.

The graph above shows the vitality of the cancer cells. If you give them an anti-androgen only, their viability decreases. The more androgen effect there is, the quicker the prostate cancer cells grow. If you sabotage the androgen receptor, they die. The curve with the white circles shows this effect.

All the other curves in the graph represent cells that were exposed not only to the supplement but also to the cancer-inhibiting anti-androgen. At first the anti-androgen reduces the vitality of the cancer cells, but after a few days this effect disappears.

"These findings suggest that the HHDS product stimulates prostate cancer cell growth effectively, bypassing the androgen receptor pathway in prostate cancer cells, while also rendering the cancer cells resistant to standard antiandrogen therapy", the researchers write. "The data suggest a second nonandrogenic growth stimulatory effect of the HHDS, resulting in the activation of an alternative growth pathway that effectively bypasses the androgen receptor, causing resistance to the prostate cancer growth inhibitory actions of bicalutamide. To our knowledge, this is a new type of adverse effect from HHDS."

The supplement in question therefore contains unknown substances that not only have an effect on the androgen receptor, but also stimulate cancer cells in some other way too. The substances make the cancer cells less susceptible to the medicines that doctors use to fight prostate cancer.

The supplement is called Teston-6, according to Ergo-log contacts in the supplements world. Immediately after they had uncovered a relationship between prostate cancer and the supplement, the researchers informed the FDA. Teston-6 was removed from the market soon after. The American senator John Breaux tried to get a motion passed to regulate products like Teston-6, but the terrorist attacks of 9/11 intervened. [quackwatch.com September 10, 2001]

Source:
Clinical Cancer Research 14, 607-611, January 15, 2008.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
After eleven and ten months respectively the men became ill.
:eek5:

:33:

If I read that right they were on a PH for 10-11 months. They are lucky the prostate didn't just fall on the floor (along with their liver).

I hate it when bad things happen to people, but some people just deserve it for being stupid.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats a bunch of bs anyhow. No "proof" the androgens caused it, just (gasp) evidence that the cancer cells grew faster when exposed to it. Well gee, same thing if they were exposed to testosterone or growth hormone or any of a number of things. One out of 4 men end up with prostate cancer, and more in the case of black men. So the odds of 2 men with prostate cancer having used the same supplement isn't much of a stretch.

And it coming from ergo-log is less of a stretch, they are an entertainment site, not a factual site. They search for the most extreme stories they can find, and stretch them as much as they can to make them sound even more interesting.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
regardless if it's true or not... it's still bad publicity for the supplement industry, which plays right into the hands of the lobbyists for FDA regulating supps.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thats a bunch of bs anyhow. No "proof" the androgens caused it, just (gasp) evidence that the cancer cells grew faster when exposed to it. Well gee, same thing if they were exposed to testosterone or growth hormone or any of a number of things. One out of 4 men end up with prostate cancer, and more in the case of black men. So the odds of 2 men with prostate cancer having used the same supplement isn't much of a stretch.

And it coming from ergo-log is less of a stretch, they are an entertainment site, not a factual site. They search for the most extreme stories they can find, and stretch them as much as they can to make them sound even more interesting.
exactly right-black men are more prone to prostate problems, and at 67 years old who is to say the white guy didn't already have cancerous cells.
but on the other hand i googled teston-6 and nothing came up besides this article and the supposed research. no where to buy, what it is, no company name-nothing. now tell me another supplement you can google and NO information about the product comes up. i call horsesheit!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://scienceblogs.com/terrasig/2008/01/male_bodybuildinglongevity_die.php

Heres a similar article of the same incident... Probably more legit.. IMO
definitely actual scientific writing, not just inflammatory writing for excitement

Of course, the work does not necessarily establish causality between the HHDS and prostate cancer development or growth promotion. We also don't know if the concentrations of the supplement used in cell culture are even achievable in patients taking the supplement.
and

However, the title of the Reuters report misrepresents the study: "Natural" supplements caused cancer in 2 men: study. In no way did the authors claim causation. The Consumerist is also guilty of misrepresentation: Hormone-Filled Dietary Supplement Caused Cancer In Two Men, Say Doctors. No, the doctors did not say that.

In contrast, the original press release for the story from UT-Southwestern (shown here from EurekAlert!) responsibly promotes the significance of the work by their researchers, Hormonal dietary supplements might promote prostate cancer progression. Hence, the overinterpretation of the study was not driven by the sensationalism of the press release; rather, these two aforementioned media outlets sensationalized the press releases and the authors,
Which was my exact point :)

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
"Testosterone supplement destroys aggressive prostate cancer"

Would have been better... :(

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
so 'teston-6' anyone even heard of it?
no i didn't think so.
i call bullsheit.

pigpen75

pigpen75

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"100 mg red deer velvet antler"- theres your problem right there, I took this stuff once and gained like 20 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks, I new it had to be bad. I'm really supprised they didn't find large amounts of Tribulus in those supps.

svtfocusman

svtfocusman

Awards
Thats a whacked title name you have! <----- Your name fits well with it.....

Lab tests showed however that the supplement did not contain the ingredients named. Estradiol and testosterone did show up in the lab tests though. The product probably contained more active ingredients, reading between the lines of the description of the effects. One of the men – a black man aged 51 – had gained nine kilograms of muscle mass in eleven months. The other man – a white 67-year-old – had gained nearly five kilograms of muscle mass in six months and noticed that he also had more energy. Taking testosterone orally won’t give you this effect.
Everyone lives in fear because of so called experts saying something causes cancer. Half of it is bull****, it's an edjucated guess in some cases to what has caused the cancer. Hell if it is true thats sad to see someone has received cancer from just taking a product although at the same time would the effects have been present if the PH was taken properly (from what it is saying it seems to have been taken for an extended amount of time.) Oil has been said said to cause cancer but not everyone always gets it, so it is just a guess or does it actually cause cancer? This company does not seem to even exist so it sure in hell just seems to be bull**** to scare people from buying PH's. Keep in mind I am not being a ****head on the cancer issues as many family members of mine have had it, but why live in fear over some bull**** story such as this? Also being both were older males could it be an age issue?

Being one was white and one was black is not convincing enough as black males are 60% more likely to have prostate cancer.

Testosterone has been proven to give older males more energy which will allow more availability to gain more muscle mass which the article contridicts this and is trying to say something else was in the product to cause the issue, which if this is the case a PH should not have been the cause and tells me this story is BS

"The most recent and reliable studies have shown that testosterone does not cause or produce deleterious effects on prostate cancer. In people who have undergone testosterone deprivation therapy, testosterone increases beyond the castrate level have been shown to increase the rate of spread of an existing prostate cancer."

Most likely they already had a pre-existing issue but people are so quick to blame a product for their issues. Some stuff just happens but as people become more money hungry, more and more people start sueing which pisses me off. More and more stories of stupidity / companies being sued are becoming a daily event from neglect in many cases, assume your responsibilities and do some research before doing ANYTHING. Some times it is ok but MANY times it is just someone being stupid and not taking responsibilities.

Consume at your own risk, if you are not sure on a product research it first! Think of how many people have used PH's and now think of how many have had such an issue from it..................

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i think its sad that if the coroner did an autopsy of men aged 51-67 you would find that more than half of them had prostate cancer. to say it increased in almost a years time is something that could very well have happened naturally, but they didn't state that since it would be considered "a waste of funding for a stupid study".

call it my opinion, but that's the way i see it. as easy already pointed out, cancer grows much more rampantly when exposed to GH, and that's completely legal, and no federal guidelines on who is a candidate for GH therapy (so long as they can afford it).

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For me, the message was/is the increasing lack of trust and confidence stemming directly from these type of stories. When I pop a supp these days, I wonder WTF is actually in it! SAD!

This mindset has been developed over time from the repeated stories coming from certain nefarious supp companies spiking OR falsifying ingredients of their products :mad:

One recent example for me: Axis Labs JUST DID this with Furazadrol YET they still Sponsor the board. I just dont get it. I'll digress out of respect for AM, but I have a right to be LIVID.

Why is there so much "forgiveness" ????

These type of companies are jacking with someone's health!!! :mad:

IMO: ONE STRIKE = death of the company should occur! Afterall, they are playing russian roullette with our health and being deceitful along the way! Screw that.

It's THIS sort of crap that enables the FDA to substantiate the stripping of our rights of banning supplements, in effort to protect OR AT LEAST use that as a facade in their argument to "protect us" from A-holes like the pricks that pull this crap.

They ruin it for everyone!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
For me, the message was/is the increasing lack of trust/personal insecurities with TWF is actuaklly in treh suppplement I purchasse thesew days!
It seems to be a false product...none of us can find a mention anywhere (all I could find was the article itself). All indications are that it's a BS article.

Nonetheless, the people involved were of such a group that their having prostate cancer isn't surprising. Plus I still can't get over the 10-11 months thing...it's obvious that no one knew what they were doing/talking about.

I guess us meat-head bodybuilder's are capable of more logic, reason, and common sense than suit and tie guys.

I do agree we need truth in labeling though...if it's in the bottle it needs to be on the label. Period.

I also think that if a product is mislabeled or bunk that it should be up to the consumer not to buy the product for those reasons. I don't need anyone from the government saying what is good for me or not and if I should buy it.

One more thing, two words: spell check.

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Contains 6 Prohormones?
51yrs old & 67yrs old??
11 month cycle & 6 month cycle??

Chrysin, is BAD, horrible for your Thyroid. just an FYI.

Moving on....................

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Scientist until no linked cancer with steroids not have enough evidence...

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
"100 mg red deer velvet antler"- theres your problem right there, I took this stuff once and gained like 20 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks, I new it had to be bad. I'm really supprised they didn't find large amounts of Tribulus in those supps.

...strong use of the English language here bro''''

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
regardless if it's true or not... it's still bad publicity for the supplement industry, which plays right into the hands of the lobbyists for FDA regulating supps.
100% correct there.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't feel right... <1 year to develop cancer when exposed to a "carcinogen"? One guy had secondary cancer?

If this was proven the FDA would go ballistic: we'd be talking of a substance several logs more carcinogenic than cigarettes.

in a word ... unlikely

abnxtwo

abnxtwo

Banned
Awards
Hey I know you'll probably find this hard to belive being that I just posted a thread about my mom getting over cancer.

But my astranged dad who lives in the same city as me and who I don't talk to for my own reasons has prostrate cancer now. Just found that out tonight when I was talking to my moms.

Anyway his doc said that Sawpalmetto is a great supp to take early in life to fight off prostrate cancer.

Anybody ever heard about this before?

Thinker

Awards
If I read that right they were on a PH for 10-11 months. They are lucky the prostate didn't just fall on the floor (along with their liver).

I hate it when bad things happen to people, but some people just deserve it for being stupid.
No you read that wrong. There were on SIX pro hormones for 10 to 11 months. Yes they deserved what they got IF the label was correct. Although their gains seem terrible for 6 pro hormones taken for almost a year.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
No you read that wrong. There were on SIX pro hormones for 10 to 11 months. Yes they deserved what they got IF the label was correct. Although their gains seem terrible for 6 pro hormones taken for almost a year.
Hell, even if it was one PH, if they took it for 10-11 months it and the consequences are their own fault.

IF the story if true (which I highly doubt at this point) then I have no compassion.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Anyway his doc said that Sawpalmetto is a great supp to take early in life to fight off prostrate cancer.

Anybody ever heard about this before?
V. sorry to hear this news.

Anyway yes we are all well aware of this.

You might want to ask why we all don't take it?

The answer is simple that SP is knocks out DHT, so its great on-cycle and might even increase gains (but it might not). DHT is responsible for the secondary male characteristics mostly in behaviour. So if you're at an age where prostrate is not a risk its a trade-off against the long term risk.

Thinker

Awards
That article is ridiculous. I wish i could write a rebuttle to it.
Someone has raised issues regarding the journalism. The initial journal article didn't establish a link and was put forward instead along the lines of 'a link may exists between this suppliment (anti aging at that)' and prostate cancer.

You need to h-t-t-p it but the link is:

scienceblogs.com/terrasig/2008/01/male_bodybuildinglongevity_die.php

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
wow so they did prohormones a year straight? great example of people using a product ignoring warnings... hell even when i go to gnc and the product says boosts test buy 1000% and its locked up in a case and 90 bucks.. i think hmm, i need to cycle off this probably, its prolly risky taking it etc.. its just common sense.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the whole article is bunk-there is no such supplement. testron-6 does not exist.
the truth of the matter is that article is a work of fiction.

aesop

Awards

Fitness magazines advertise the supplement. The men bought the product online because they wanted more muscles, energy and libido.

To gain more certainty as to whether the supplements had caused the disease in the men, the researchers did an experiment with prostate cancer cells. They exposed the cells to the supplement [HDDS below, Ed.] and to testosterone.

The curves in the graph above show the speed at which the prostate cancer cells grew in a concentration of 100 micrograms of supplement per millilitre, and 24 picograms of testosterone per millilitre.

The researchers also did an experiment in which they exposed the cancer cells to the supplement and to the anti-androgen bicalutamide. And this is the most sinister part of the publication.

The graph above shows the vitality of the cancer cells. If you give them an anti-androgen only, their viability decreases. The more androgen effect there is, the quicker the prostate cancer cells grow. If you sabotage the androgen receptor, they die. The curve with the white circles shows this effect.

All the other curves in the graph represent cells that were exposed not only to the supplement but also to the cancer-inhibiting anti-androgen. At first the anti-androgen reduces the vitality of the cancer cells, but after a few days this effect disappears.

"These findings suggest that the HHDS product stimulates prostate cancer cell growth effectively, bypassing the androgen receptor pathway in prostate cancer cells, while also rendering the cancer cells resistant to standard antiandrogen therapy", the researchers write. "The data suggest a second nonandrogenic growth stimulatory effect of the HHDS, resulting in the activation of an alternative growth pathway that effectively bypasses the androgen receptor, causing resistance to the prostate cancer growth inhibitory actions of bicalutamide. To our knowledge, this is a new type of adverse effect from HHDS."

Source:
Clinical Cancer Research 14, 607-611, January 15, 2008.

Anybody else notice the 6 power difference in concentration between the supplement group and testosterone group, in an in vitro study.

Prohormones are evil cancer causing agents at 4,000,000 times the dose of testosterone. lulz