Whey or Casein protein - does it really matter? - AnabolicMinds.com

Whey or Casein protein - does it really matter?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

Whey or Casein protein - does it really matter?

Or is it just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more?

Please explain the difference between consuming a glass of whey protein versus a glass of casein protein. If they both contain, say - 50 grams of protein - does it really matter which form it is in?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Whey = Fast absorbing
    Casien = Slow absorbing.

Whey is better when you want protien in your body quickly, and casein is better say for instance, as a pre bedtime meal.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

^^^^said all you need to know right there
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

Wow.

It couldn't be any more simple!

Thanks for the info.

5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You could get an MPI and have the best of both worlds. I actually think that WPI is slightly overrated as overall nutrition is far more important than overloading at any given time. As with carbs, speed is not necessarily the best option.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You could get an MPI and have the best of both worlds. I actually think that WPI is slightly overrated as overall nutrition is far more important than overloading at any given time. As with carbs, speed is not necessarily the best option.
    I'm having a brain freeze - what is "MPI?"

I am assuming that "WPI" is whey protein.
  7. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    I'm having a brain freeze - what is "MPI?"

I am assuming that "WPI" is whey protein.
    I think he might mean milk protein isolate..
  8. New Member

casein = slow
    whey = fast

usually people take whey after a workout and casein mid day or before bed. if you didnt want casein, you can go with a blended protein. right now im using optimums nitro-core (blend) with milk before bed.

-nick
  9. New Member

casein seems to be more effective when cutting
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Excellent thread. I like the point that slow adsorption can be beneficial - okay I know about caesin as a sleep meal.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

Can the two types be mixed into one overall protein product?

Are there any products that contain both?

Is it even a good idea to mix them, or does that somehow lessen the effectiveness of the protein?

Lots of questions, I know, but one should always seek more knowledge!

12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

MPI is milk protein isolate, which is 20-25% WPI and 75-80% Micellar Casein. Whey is anabolic, but casein is far more anti-catabolic. Recently (as in the past 2 weeks), I've switched from this protocol:
    20g BCAA/60g WMS/25g Palatinose
    -30 minutes later-
    45g WPI

to

-30 minutes later-
    25g WPI/20g MC

Lately, I've had some of the best gains in terms of strength, aesthetics, and cardio.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvard View Post
    casein seems to be more effective when cutting
    It can be.

I've started throwing casein into my mid-day shake. Why would not want a slow release of amino's through the day? I try to eat every couple of hours, but amount of protein ain't always there. This way I know my body is still being fed quality amino's. Usual mid-day shake consists of 1 1/2 scoops whey, 1 scoop casein. I also throw in some fish oil.

Then I use casein again pre-bed. Two scoops of casein mixed with 1/2 scoop of whey.
  14. New Member

Some research showed double or more fat loss while cutting with more mass retained im unsure how many casein they took each day however
  15. New Member

Look for lyle mcdonald's series of articles on choosing the right protein on his site.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by matthias7 View Post
    Excellent thread. I like the point that slow adsorption can be beneficial - okay I know about caesin as a sleep meal.
    "Sleep meal" - I like that term!

17. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    MPI is milk protein isolate, which is 20-25% WPI and 75-80% Micellar Casein. Whey is anabolic, but casein is far more anti-catabolic. Recently (as in the past 2 weeks), I've switched from this protocol:
    -30 minutes later-
    45g WPI

to

-30 minutes later-
    25g WPI/20g MC

Lately, I've had some of the best gains in terms of strength, aesthetics, and cardio.
    good protocol
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.

I know how the board is about posting sources, so I'll just say that buying bulk protein is the way to go. I've been very happy with the whey protein I've purchased online recently, a 20 lb. box for $90. It mixes easily, tastes good, and fresher if that makes sense. $90 for 292 (20g of protein) servings, which is actually only 146 since I double up the scoops. I've also been a big fan of Optimum's Nitrocore24 since they were almost giving it away at GNC a while back (I got 12lbs for like $25 w/ all the discounts & gold card). I mix a scoop of NC24 with the WP for a pre-bed snack.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.

Oh yeah, I meant to add that you can buy pure casein protein in bulk too, which you can add to your preferred shake, for flavor or whatnot. From what I understand, this is what a lot of protein manufacturers do.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Or is it just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more?

Please explain the difference between consuming a glass of whey protein versus a glass of casein protein. If they both contain, say - 50 grams of protein - does it really matter which form it is in?

It's all a marketing ploy. Just drink milk. It has whey and casein in it.

If you're trying to lose weight, I could see using whey and casein. Otherwise, I don't see the sense in it.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuchilbara View Post
    Whey = Fast absorbing
    Casien = Slow absorbing.

Whey is better when you want protien in your body quickly, and casein is better say for instance, as a pre bedtime meal.
    in basic terms this is all you need to know.
  22. New Member

WPI MPI Who cares?

Heres a thought and this is not meant as criticism just observation. Supplements have always been nothing more that an adjunct to hard frequent heavy training (for the natural athlete). For every guy who debates passionately about the various merits of protein types I will show you a guy that cant double body weight squat or deadlift, Invariably these trainers do not have a decent history of good natural strength gains. Forget the supplements, take a regular protein (test for one that doesnt make you **** every 2 hours). Eat properly test bodyfat weekly and up your weights in a predetermined planned manner over the course of a year and everything will work out (albeit slowly for those of us genetically challenged).

The talk about which brand etc takes the focus of the right activities which is hard brief stregth training. And donteve get me started on the light weight going for the burn type routines
    Cheers
  23. New Member

WPI MPI Who cares?

Heres a thought and this is not meant as criticism just observation. Supplements have always been nothing more that an adjunct to hard frequent heavy training (for the natural athlete). For every guy who debates passionately about the various merits of protein types I will show you a guy that cant double body weight squat or deadlift, Invariably these trainers do not have a decent history of good natural strength gains. Forget the supplements, take a regular protein (test for one that doesnt make you **** every 2 hours). Eat properly test bodyfat weekly and up your weights in a predetermined planned manner over the course of a year and everything will work out (albeit slowly for those of us genetically challenged).

The talk about which brand etc takes the focus of the right activities which is hard brief stregth training. And donteve get me started on the light weight going for the burn type routines
    Cheers
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nickolas388 View Post
    casein = slow
    whey = fast

usually people take whey after a workout and casein mid day or before bed. if you didnt want casein, you can go with a blended protein. right now im using optimums nitro-core (blend) with milk before bed.

-nick
    Quick and to the point. Also, Optimum Nutrition makes a very tasty casein protein. With milk or water it taste great and gives your stomach that full feeling.

I used to drink the casein protein before bed, but through several years I have learned that cottage cheese and milk works just as well, especially if you are trying to gain some size. Many will debate this, but both cottage cheese and milk contain high amounts of casein.

Just something you might want to think about, especially if your wallet is going flat.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
  2. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
  4. Why a casein/whey protein combo is the best for growth
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
  5. Whey or casein for post workout protein shake?
    By Rostam in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 05:09 PM