My Dad is 71, I suggested he take an Anti Aromatase Inhibitor

mightyconan

Awards
Guys of anabolic minds,

What do you think about this. As guys get older, their estrogen levels can get very high. we all know this. Though my dad is a freak, he regularly beats guys at racket ball, many years his junior. hes very lean. and in great physical shape. But as guys get older, high estrogen levels can cause big problems with your prostate and other cancers. high estrogen levels are a known cause for many cancers. not to mention, when estrogen levels go high, your test levels go down. and everything suffers. My question is, do you think its a good idea for my dad to take an anti aromatase inhibitor. not really talking about a test booster per se, but just the estrogen blocker. and which ones do you recommend, i looked into rebound xt by designer supps and novedex xt by Gaspari. Any comments will be appreciated.

thanks.

ordo ab chao

ordo ab chao

Awards
While your head is in the right place, I don't think you should give him an AI without getting bloodwork done to check his T and E counts. He could be perfectly fine and blindly throwing in an AI may cause more problems than it alleviates. If he is in the shape you say he is, then I wouldn't be surprised if everything is in order. Why do you think he needs one? Are there certain symptoms or warning signs you have noticed?

h2bEK

Awards
Due to his age, I would say consulting a doctor is probably the best idea but I personally don't know what the differing concerns would be for someone his age.

mightyconan

Awards
Well, considering his age, its pretty hard for me to beleive, his test levels are that of a 25 yr old. if his test levels are lower, that means his estrogen levels will be higher. both go hand in hand. there really are no symptoms, not really sure what symptoms there would be. (fat gain, etc...) given how much he worksout, thats not going to happen. My thoughts on it are this, we aren't talking about him taking steroids or any type of hormone. I just thought, this sorta supplement would make sure, everything is in order. I mean, does a 71 yr old really need to get tests done to see if his test levels are lower and estrogen levels are higher. given his age, i think those things are a forgone conclusion, though i could be wrong.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, considering his age, its pretty hard for me to beleive, his test levels are that of a 25 yr old. if his test levels are lower, that means his estrogen levels will be higher. both go hand in hand. there really are no symptoms, not really sure what symptoms there would be. (fat gain, etc...) given how much he worksout, thats not going to happen. My thoughts on it are this, we aren't talking about him taking steroids or any type of hormone. I just thought, this sorta supplement would make sure, everything is in order. I mean, does a 71 yr old really need to get tests done to see if his test levels are lower and estrogen levels are higher. given his age, i think those things are a forgone conclusion, though i could be wrong.
Manipulating estrogen has a more cascading effect than just raising test, so blindly giving a 71 year old person unregulated supplements is a bad idea. If you want quality of life improved for him, send him to an endo and do it right.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just to clarify, it's an aromatase inhibitor, not anti-aromatase inhibitor. And an AI is different than an estrogen blocker.

And at 71, your dad could look into TRT as well.

Broly

Awards
  • Established
As said before you should do some blood tests, not only to see his test/estro/prolactin levels but also his cholesterol, psa and blood pressure, because AI's do change a little cholesterol levels in some persons and in others aren't even affected by it. AI's per se are a pretty safe aproch to raise test and keep estrogen in the lower levels, but due to mess directly with enzymes and stuff a blood test wouldn't hurt anyways:D

mightyconan

Awards
from what ive been reading, older men having high estrogen levels isnt a good thing, namely prostate cancer. yes, my bad, aromatase inhibitor, lol. that being said, the only cascading effects of taking this would be higher test levels, more muscle, less cancer risk. wheres the downside. it is said, by the time a man hits 60, he has more estrogen, than women. lol. and my dad is older than that.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
from what ive been reading, older men having high estrogen levels isnt a good thing, namely prostate cancer. yes, my bad, aromatase inhibitor, lol. that being said, the only cascading effects of taking this would be higher test levels, more muscle, less cancer risk. wheres the downside. it is said, by the time a man hits 60, he has more estrogen, than women. lol. and my dad is older than that.
Not sure what you want here, everybody gave the correct and legitimite answer. Why did you bother asking? Sorry if that comes off badly. Unless you know exactly what your doing take him to a doctor and get it done right, this isnt about you its about him.

bigshoulders

Awards
Believe it or not low testosterone levels do not mean high estrogen levels.
More common is low estrogen levels whenever testosterone levels are low.
This is because most of estrogen comes from the aromatisation of testosterone, and if testosterone is low...

What low testosterone levels may be related to is low test/estrogen ratio. For example, having test at the bottom of range and estrogen closer to the middle of range.

All this point towards getting a blood test for your dad at bare minimum.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it sounds like your mind is made.. you seem to know his numbers without the tests.

Estrogen has a role in preventing heart attacks and disease, memory... etc. You conception is misled. I will not urge you to take him to a endo, only because as I said before, your mind is made up and unregulated supplements are your answer.

mightyconan

Awards
ok, i will mention to him, that i asked some people, and they all suggested you get the hormone levels checked out. the reason i didnt want him taking an estrogen blocker, cause men do need some estrogen. i just wanted not to allow his test levels amomatise to estrogen. maybe its just me, cause i personally hate drs. i never go. ever. but i will advise him to get a test done first.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
No AI bro, take him to a good endocrinologist, he would benefit from something along the lines of Clomid, HCG, HMG.

ordo ab chao

ordo ab chao

Awards
without bloodwork, you don't know what his T:E ratio is. While the trend in older men may be an increase in E, this may not be the case for your father especially since he is still active and fit. If his T and E are in a healthy normal range and you give him an AI, you could suppress E to an unhealthy level. As others have said, this could cause problems such as joint pain which should be of concern for a man of his age. At the very least, get his bloodwork done. It doesn't hurt

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
at his age, and being active, reports have shown older ppl benefit from amino acids to prevent any falls and to help with any muscle