BCAA: Fighting The Suck

Future

From Madhatter10-6, creator of Red Point Fitness:

Several months back I was talking to Iron Addict about a new diet he was trying, “The Warrior Diet”. Whenever he told me the basics of it I thought that he had finally gone nuts. Long story short, I ordered the book. Read the research. Listened to IA rant and rave about it. It was pretty much doing everything that I was told NOT to do by all of the other diet gurus....and that made me want to try it even more :)

Iron Addict had made some modifications to the original "Warrior Diet" to it (shock) to better suit his / lfiters needs. The main addition was adding a ton of BCAA’s. The main reason that people should be taking BCAA’s is to get the signaling affect on anabolism in the body, and GH response. If there are other complete proteins in the stomach this signaling is either greatly reduced or doesn’t happen at all. This is the ONLY diet that I know of which allows you to take full advantage of the BCAA supplementation because you stomach is empty most of the day. The bad news is that aminos taste like powdered ass.

So I started looking for solutions to this problem, both Keck (XX) and Iron Addict dump the amino’s (in powdered form) onto their tongue, and the drink some water really fast to wash it down with. My first, second and third attempt at this ended up with me spewing my expensive aminos all over the kitchen and having their residue on the inside of my nose and throat and almost choking to death. So I started looking for workarounds.
My first attempt was mixing them with Krystal light. This worked very well, however Krystal Light contains aspartame, and I don’t think that is in anyone’s long term health interest.

So...back to the drawing board.

The next method had to meet the following criteria.

1) Cheap – Aminos are expensive enough as is, so the method had to be affordable.

2) Healthy – Getting lean and strong now to have my brain rot from aspartame later didn’t seem like a good trade off.

3) Readily available – If I have to travel to get some odd compound its not worth the headache

4) Quick Preparation time – who has the free time to prepare aminos

5) Zero / Very Low Carb – If I have to mix 100 grams of sugar with my aminos to stomach them it seems a little counterproductive.

With the above criteria in mind, it was time to go shopping. After walking around Kroger’s for 20 minutes reading the back of almost everything in the juice isle like I was afflicted with some odd variation of OCD, I found the candidates.

From left to right

1) Kraft Old Fashioned Lemonade
2) V8 juice
3) Ocean Spray Diet Cran Grape
4) Kool-aid flavor packs with Truvia (Stevia derivative sweetener)

Reviews:

Kraft Old Fashioned Lemonade: It worked VERY well! However I had to use more of it that I had originally planned to counter act the taste of the aminos, which put the carbs to high. No go.

V8: One of the main difficulties with mixing BCAA’s is that they are extremely hydrophobic. V8’s thick consistency almost completely eliminated this issue. Mixed in less than 8 ounces of V8 I was able to get down ~20 grams of BCAA’s and barely able to taste them. Not Bad!

Ocean Spray: Minus the hydrophobic issue, this worked very well. Taste was only slightly noticeable. I will definitely use this option from time to time.

Kool-Aid + Truvia = AWESOME. This worked extremely well. The aminos’s taste was well masked with both the lemonade and lime drink flavoring. It still has the hydrophobic issue but a little time and some shaking gets rid of it.

So for now I have 3 options that all work very well. I think that increasing the temperature of the water that I use to mix the BCAA’s with could be another good option. I am going to do some research and find out what temp starts to cause denaturing and go from there.

Enjoy

-Hatter

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm all about adding in an additional 25-30g of BCAA while cutting. I've noticed much less muscle loss and, as a result, increased fat loss.

JGank

Awards
have you tired xtend? after buying bulk bcaa and separate flavoring it probably cost the same amount. by the way I love IA articles.