Get your BCAA's!

Future

Nitrogen retention in critically ill patients is proportional to the branched chain amino acid load

The nitrogen retention effect of branched chain enriched parenteral nutrition (BcAA) during surgical stress and polytrauma was evaluated in a prospective, randomized, double blind study in 32 patients. The doses of BcAA were 0.16, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.7 g/kg[middle dot]day with a total amino acid load of 1 or 1.3 g/kg[middle dot]day. It was provided in a setting of 30 glucose cal/kg[middle dot]day with 7 cal/kg[middle dot]day of iv fat also given to 16 patients. After the 7-day study was completed, analysis of the 4 treatment groups of 8 patients each demonstrated that there was an increased nitrogen retention effect of BcAA, that the effect was proportionate to BcAA load, that the effect started at 0.5 g of BcAA/kg[middle dot]day in a setting of balanced nutritional support, and that the effect was consistent with a BcAA influence on protein synthesis. There were no complications or side-effects from high dose BcAA. Metabolic support of the stress response in ICU patients has become a clinical reality.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
that the effect started at 0.5 g of BcAA/kg[middle dot]day
For me, that would equate to 55 grams of BCAA a day, at a minimum. Probably worth it, but quite pricy, also.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
eh honeslty i use almost 15g bcaa per day 4xday and its cheaper than what i usually do

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I've been cutting bigtime with just extend, no whey protein at the moment. This is just something I'm trying,... all I'm saying is BCAA's have many benefits.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Nitrogen retention in critically ill patients is proportional to the branched chain amino acid load

The nitrogen retention effect of branched chain enriched parenteral nutrition (BcAA) during surgical stress and polytrauma was evaluated in a prospective, randomized, double blind study in 32 patients. The doses of BcAA were 0.16, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.7 g/kg[middle dot]day with a total amino acid load of 1 or 1.3 g/kg[middle dot]day. It was provided in a setting of 30 glucose cal/kg[middle dot]day with 7 cal/kg[middle dot]day of iv fat also given to 16 patients. After the 7-day study was completed, analysis of the 4 treatment groups of 8 patients each demonstrated that there was an increased nitrogen retention effect of BcAA, that the effect was proportionate to BcAA load, that the effect started at 0.5 g of BcAA/kg[middle dot]day in a setting of balanced nutritional support, and that the effect was consistent with a BcAA influence on protein synthesis. There were no complications or side-effects from high dose BcAA. Metabolic support of the stress response in ICU patients has become a clinical reality.
Good stuff brotha.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The effect started at 0.5g/kg/day, but no saturation point is given. Full results, as well as the date of publication, would be interesting. I'll have to find it when I have time.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why would either really be relevant to the findings?
Saturation point would be helpful as that would give a max dose, beyond which there is no further benefit. I.e. if 0.5g/kg is good, does that mean that the 1.3g/kg is almost 3x as good? Or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Publication date because I know Leucine by itself is becoming a hot topic and I just wondered where this fit in the timeline of BCAA goodness. :)

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
eh honeslty i use almost 15g bcaa per day 4xday and its cheaper than what i usually do
I've been toying around with the idea of taking 10 grams BCAA and 10 grams of liver tabs every three hours, for awhile now. Still, it'd cost over $100 a month, easy. Just being "frugal", I guess.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
Saturation point would be helpful as that would give a max dose, beyond which there is no further benefit. I.e. if 0.5g/kg is good, does that mean that the 1.3g/kg is almost 3x as good? Or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Publication date because I know Leucine by itself is becoming a hot topic and I just wondered where this fit in the timeline of BCAA goodness. :)
I'd be really interseted in what you find out.