Plant based DHA verses Fish Sources

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any difference in the DHA from plant sources (flax) verses Fish Oil DHA?

jamjoe

Awards
Flax doesn't contain DHA that I know of. The only omega-3 that is in flax is ALA.

anbes

Awards
Flax doesn't contain DHA that I know of. The only omega-3 that is in flax is ALA.
Well the omega-3 from flaxseed is one of the best for human. Actually, it is much better than fish oil. The problem is that Fishs gots the skills to use omega from flaxseed better than us. So the best option is the ""linfish" or ohter name, that's a "blend" of both oils mixed in frozen temperatures. It's what I am using.

Rike

Rike

Awards
I would use an animal source over a plant source but that is just me and I am only a natural 230 lbs at 5'8" @ 8% BF and 20 inch arms & calves but what do I know.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Well the omega-3 from flaxseed is one of the best for human. Actually, it is much better than fish oil. The problem is that Fishs gots the skills to use omega from flaxseed better than us. So the best option is the ""linfish" or ohter name, that's a "blend" of both oils mixed in frozen temperatures. It's what I am using.
Not really, quite the opposite. The human body has a hard time making DHA from ALA, so much of the flax you take is not used at all.

anbes

Awards
Not really, quite the opposite. The human body has a hard time making DHA from ALA, so much of the flax you take is not used at all.
That's why mixed oils give better results!
But what I mean, is that fish oil is not better than flaxseed!!
Fishes uses that better than us, but the omega 3 source is better from vegetal flaxseed! But as fishes converts it more, it's oil become more useful fore us?
Did I get my point understand?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For human use, fish oil is much more bioavailable than flax oil. ALA -> EPA -> DHA

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I'd search. There was an excellent thread on krill that argued this one very well.

KDLMaj

Awards
There are big benefits to flax oil, however (just not necessarily for DHA). Since Flax is ALA, your body can use it to create what it needs most- ALA is flexible like that.

Though it may not end up being exactly what you wanted it to be. ;)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We get plenty of omega-6's in our diet. Hence the interest in fish oil (Only contains 3's).

THat said, Flax taste goooood in shakes and on veggies (finally started eating them LOL) and I found one rich in DHA, hence my thread.

So............?????

Rike

Rike

Awards
"BUZZZ" that is the sound for "wrong!!!!". Humans must covert all plant sources so by just using animal sources or FISH sources of EFA we can use hem more efficient and not have to worry about the many factors involved with conversion. Bill Phillips was a great help to our industry but one of the faults he had was generalization. He pushed the Flax/borage oil thing and now that studies have advanced it is proven that animal or fish sources of EFAs are much better absorbed and used by our bodies.

Look, use flax or borage oil for the cool taste but don't be misconstrued that Flax is better than fish oil.

One of the best fish oil supplements is Barry Sears Zone Eico Pro but if I remember correctly it costs about $80.00 per month.....

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 teaspoon (5ml)
Servings Per Container: 45

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 40
Calories From Fat 40
Total Fat 4 .5g 7%

Fish Oil Concentrate 5 ml **
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 1800 mg **
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 900 mg **

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Percent Daily Value not established

Ingredients: EPA/DHA fish oil concentrate, toasted sesame oil concentrate, GLA concentrate, lime flavor, proprietary antioxidant blend (rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols, ascorbyl palmitate, citric acid).

Allergy Alert: This product contains fish ingredients (anchovies, sardines) and soybean oil. This product is processed in a facility which also processes soy, dairy, milk/whey, egg, wheat, and peanut/tree nut products or ingredients

It is expensive but it is very concentrated.

***For a more cost friendly choice I would use Health From the Sea Fish Oil since it is also concentrated but it is not as high potency as Barry's Zone Oil.......

8 Fl. Oz.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Tsp.(5mL)
Servings Per Container47

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 40
Calories From Fat 40
Total Fat 4.5g 7%*
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%*
Cholesterol 25mg 8%*

Pure Fish Oil 4360mg †
Omega-3 EPA (715mg) †
Omega-3 DHA (470mg) †

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
Fish Oil (Sardines And Anchovies), Natural Orange Flavor, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), And Citric Acid To Protect The Freshness.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. ( Happy Holidays could mean the 4Th of July or Veteran's Day which are also both great holidays.

Rock on!
Rike

Last edited:

zb126

Awards
  • Established
no offense but unless you have disposable income then spending $80 a month on these various oils seems kind of wasteful IMO, no hate, just saying

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
no offense but unless you have disposable income then spending $80 a month on these various oils seems kind of wasteful IMO, no hate, just saying
If you are going for krill oil then that can hit $50 per month.

Flax - buy whole and grind it yourself. Its cheap.

Fish oil is also cheap.

I think oils are the best value supplements around.