EAAs and BCAA instead of Protein powder?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hi

Ive been thinking for a while about not buying anymore protein powders and concentrate solely on EAAs and BCAA.
Why? well the western diet has lots of protein sources, egg, milk, chicken , turkey and so on , so theres no excuse not to go without.

my question is , would it be better just buying EAA and BCAA and take them say first thing in the morning and after a workout. It seems that these aminos contribute the most to muscle building.

Any thoughts please?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
IMO protein powders should ONLY BE USED as a last resort to real food. On days when I am so busy I cannot take a leak then I will prepare a protein powder but thats's only one day a week or two at most.
I've have long since quit putting my money into that, it is just not needed to the degree that many would think.

If I take bcaa's then it is before breakfast, before and after my WO.
My next thing is to drop bcaa's for about 10 months to measure the difference there while adding a variety to my diet.

My goal is to eliminate 90 percent of the supplements that I purchase. I've already recouped nearly 125 bucks a month eating raw veggies and cooked meats.

It is my philosophy and ill stick to this for a while. My take, I will not see THAT much of a decline or better, I may see an increase. just my opinion.

jart45

jart45

Awards
  • Established
I think this is a great idea I was actually discussing this with a trainer at my gym. Eric Serrano has been doing this for years! Read up about Serrano's protocol.

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
I do still use protein for about one shake a day but like to use BC+EAA 2-3 times.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
interesting topic. bump for more thoughts.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Intact proteins, i.e. whey, casein, etc. have benefits that you cant get from BCAA's, EAA's alone.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Intact proteins, i.e. whey, casein, etc. have benefits that you cant get from BCAA's, EAA's alone.
true dat, but wouldn't whole food be even better than whey, casein? and just supplement with bcaa/eaa's??? just throwing this out there, i have only been using whey post workout and using bcaa/eaa's pre-intra and in afternoon.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would agree that whole food is more beneficial. However, under most peoples schedules, many times we are on the run. That is where a shake comes in handy

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use more whey/aminos when Im dieting. If my cals is down to about -1000 below maintenence, then I'll be sipping on a diluted amount of aminos all day.

Bulking is more about whole foods for me. Between main meals will be a homemade bulker that has whole eggs, whey/casein as a protein source.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
true dat, but wouldn't whole food be even better than whey, casein? and just supplement with bcaa/eaa's??? just throwing this out there, i have only been using whey post workout and using bcaa/eaa's pre-intra and in afternoon.
Right. Id prefer whole food over all of them.

Everything comes down to timing.

FFaa's pre/intra/into post. The real only time whey is beneficial is postWO (in regards to muscle, not other things).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Right. Id prefer whole food over all of them.

Everything comes down to timing.

FFaa's pre/intra/into post. The real only time whey is beneficial is postWO (in regards to muscle, not other things).
we are on the same page.:bigok:

smutty

smutty

Awards
I use more whey/aminos when Im dieting. If my cals is down to about -1000 below maintenence, then I'll be sipping on a diluted amount of aminos all day.

Bulking is more about whole foods for me. Between main meals will be a homemade bulker that has whole eggs, whey/casein as a protein source.
I think this is a correct way to use both.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
i think food is understimated and supplements are over estimated.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
BCAA's bypass the liver and are taken up into skeletal muscle so they are perfect for fasted workouts, pre or intra.

Any other time whey or whole food would make more sense.

I also agree 100% with corsaking. That is the take-home message!!

jmoney02

Awards
So what should a 40 year old with a pretty lousy diet take? I know I should first clean up the diet and I am working on it. In the meantime should I not take protien, should I take EAA's and BCAA's, neither or both? Pre w/o Post w/o? Man, just when you think you have things figured out a little bit...you find out you really have no clue.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So what should a 40 year old with a pretty lousy diet take? I know I should first clean up the diet and I am working on it. In the meantime should I not take protien, should I take EAA's and BCAA's, neither or both? Pre w/o Post w/o? Man, just when you think you have things figured out a little bit...you find out you really have no clue.
if you look there is a site selling lg's bcaa/eaa bogo for $20. this is a great pre/intra or afternoon supp.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
20g bcaa post workout 30mins later 50g whey.

Hellooo recovery ;)

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
its not a case of should i not take protein , you should be including protein in your diet -which you can get from food; chicken ;eggs; turkey;fish .Protein powders are not some magic; they are a convenient way of getting protein in a drink to boost up your overall total intake ,and there are certain times to have a protein drink eg after workout but in the first instance protein should be obtained from food.
taking EEAa and BCAAS only is just another idea thats been talked about on the web .Both these are in protein from food and in powders.imo

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
its not a case of should i not take protein , you should be including protein in your diet -which you can get from food; chicken ;eggs; turkey;fish .Protein powders are not some magic; they are a convenient way of getting protein in a drink to boost up your overall total intake ,and there are certain times to have a protein drink eg after workout but in the first instance protein should be obtained from food.
taking EEAa and BCAAS only is just another idea thats been talked about on the web .Both these are in protein from food and in powders.imo
biggest advantage of bcaa/eaa is fast absorption, convenience and low cals when cutting. but i agree outside of pre/intra/post whole food is best when it is available. when healthy food in not available bcaa/eaa are not a replacement for whole foods but they are a hell of a lot better than nothing, imo.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Check out the over 35 section. Things become a lot different when you're over 40, believe me.

If you've been eating crappy for a while then look at liver health. You will be amazed at how much better things will feel once your liver is working optimally.