**hair loss from alpha lipoic acid PERMANENT?

choochoo60

Awards
I've been taking a supplement that has Na- r-ala @ 150mgs per pill, and i had noticed last time that i had a few extra hairs falling out after showering. now that I'm taking again and at about 600mgs per day, I'm seeing a good amount coming out. i researched the topic and there has been some correlation between the two, now im wondering if this is the case, is it permanent hair loss? I wouldn't think so being its not suppose to be androgenic, only insulin-sensitive. anyone who could shed some sort of light on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isn't taking it with biotin supposed to negate that? I use the Primaforce product... which has 1mg biotin per cap.

choochoo60

Awards
I have read that biotin will negate that side effect as well. But the real question I'm looking to get answered is, will the lost hair from the r-ala grow back, or is it gone for good, as if you had done an anabolic substance?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can only speculate... but if the r-ala is the cause of your hair loss, it is not related to an increase in DHT. (Could be due to heavy metal buildup/immobilization, etc.) Therefore, ceasing the product should cause the follicles to grow hair again.

Either way, I'd suggest using the otc Nizoral 1% shampoo.

choochoo60

Awards
If i were to stop the r-ala, and start some biotin at like 3g's per day, that would probably allow for a quick restoration u think?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If i were to stop the r-ala, and start some biotin at like 3g's per day, that would probably allow for a quick restoration u think?
3mgs would more than suffice. Not sure about a quick restoration, but get the Nizoral and use it every third day (NOT every day).

choochoo60

Awards
good deal, thanks for the input. btw any specific nizoral brand/ products that i should look into?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
good deal, thanks for the input. btw any specific nizoral brand/ products that i should look into?
Nizoral is the brand. Ketoconazole is the ingredient. You can find it at Walmart/Target/drugstore.

choochoo60

Awards
alright yeah, i responded just before googling it lol, but a little uneasy about the potential hit on the natty test. I'll def. dose it every third day because of that risk, regardless of how much truth to it there is.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alright yeah, i responded just before googling it lol, but a little uneasy about the potential hit on the natty test. I'll def. dose it every third day because of that risk, regardless of how much truth to it there is.
That's only a risk with the oral tablets. The shampoo only serves to disrupt the conversion of testosterone to DHT at the follicle level. The reason you don't want to use it every day has more to do with scalp irritation.

Good luck... and remember -- at the end of the day, hair is just dead stuff that grows out of the top of your head. :veryhappy:

GICH!