WHY??? FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow #6

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. WHY??? FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow #6

Was about to order HGH UP then saw all these artificial colors on the label... is it just me or do other guys here want the manufacturers to at least slow down with these additives ..... do adult men really need pretty colored capsules....

some of those powdered pre/post workout drinks would stain my blender bottle!! Bodybuilding is also about health and I really dont think 5 or 6 artificial colors for a capsule based product is really necessary... any thoughts???

2. I'm sorry you feel this way. Colors help produce appeal, appeal is necessary is someone has never heard of a product before to differentiate it from the millions of others. I know people on the forums know what HGHup is, but many OFF the forums most likely do not.
    ☣☣☣☣Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative☣☣☣☣
    Mesomorph | Hemavo2 | Endurance | 100% Whey Protean | REM 8.0
    •   

3. My comment was nothing personal against HGH Up or App Nut at all.... was just using that as an example.. there are many more examples

I admit the caps do look appealing but there are some studies linking these artificial dyes and colors to ADD, behavioral problems etc... just thought there might be more natural alternatives ... again this was NOT a personal swipe against App Nut I just thought it was a shame to have to ingest 5 chemical dyes to get the active ingredients

4. Quote Originally Posted by mc2000 View Post
    My comment was nothing personal against HGH Up or App Nut at all.... was just using that as an example.. there are many more examples

I admit the caps do look appealing but there are some studies linking these artificial dyes and colors to ADD, behavioral problems etc... just thought there might be more natural alternatives ... again this was NOT a personal swipe against App Nut I just thought it was a shame to have to ingest 5 chemical dyes to get the active ingredients
    I understand, I do appreciate you bringing it to attention, it is always nice to know how the consumer feels.

5. i could do without all the pretty colors and some days i feel like i am going to o.d. on niacin and caffine.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by mc2000 View Post
    ...I just thought it was a shame to have to ingest 5 chemical dyes to get the active ingredients
    You don't HAVE TO if you're that afraid. Pop open the caps and take just the actives in them. Throw away the caps when you're done.

Problem solved.

7. Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    You don't HAVE TO if you're that afraid. Pop open the caps and take just the actives in them. Throw away the caps when you're done.

Problem solved.
    With capsules you are correct.... what first brought this to my attention was my girlfriend bought Vitamin C tablets and to get 500 mg of Vit C there was also 4 artificial colors, dyes and aspartame... i told her she would probably be healthier NOT taking them...

I just wish there were healthier alternatives, not saying a few mg's of red dye #4 will kill you but when you start tallying up the amounts from 3 or 4 supplements you may start getting into unhealthy territory over time... Also wish Stevia would be used more often compared to Aspartame and sucralose as I find most powders over sweetened anyway but that will vary widely from person to person

8. my buddy's allergic to one or two of those artificial colors, so he can't eat or take a sh*tload of products...

9. IMO I don't care if the pill is pretty...I'm ingesting it anyway and it's all the same when it come out the other end.

10. Quote Originally Posted by mc2000 View Post
    With capsules you are correct.... what first brought this to my attention was my girlfriend bought Vitamin C tablets and to get 500 mg of Vit C there was also 4 artificial colors, dyes and aspartame... i told her she would probably be healthier NOT taking them...

I just wish there were healthier alternatives, not saying a few mg's of red dye #4 will kill you but when you start tallying up the amounts from 3 or 4 supplements you may start getting into unhealthy territory over time... Also wish Stevia would be used more often compared to Aspartame and sucralose as I find most powders over sweetened anyway but that will vary widely from person to person
    Ahhhh, finally nice to see somebody who thinks Stevia should be used in place of the sweeteners like Aspartame and Sucralose. Nothing more then sweet poison.

My same sentiments regarding the artificial dye's and food colorings though, im sure there are natural colors/nature identical colors out there that can be used if the companys wanted to......right?

I feel a little worried when I have to take 3-4 different products in one month. And yeh i guess another option is to open up the caps, but isn't that something that can simply made unnecessary if companys used natural colorings instead of the dye's and stuff? Not only would it show that they are making a step to protect the consumers health, the health of the very consumers that line the pockets of the companys (dont mean this in a rude way) Just stating as when we Had a family business our grandfather always used to remind us to respect our customers and their health since we had a food store since they are the ones who pay our wages.

Bump For this thread

11. come on texas, do you honestly think people buy supps because they are pretty?

12. Quote Originally Posted by WilteredFire View Post
    Ahhhh, finally nice to see somebody who thinks Stevia should be used in place of the sweeteners like Aspartame and Sucralose. Nothing more then sweet poison.

My same sentiments regarding the artificial dye's and food colorings though, im sure there are natural colors/nature identical colors out there that can be used if the companys wanted to......right?

I feel a little worried when I have to take 3-4 different products in one month. And yeh i guess another option is to open up the caps, but isn't that something that can simply made unnecessary if companys used natural colorings instead of the dye's and stuff? Not only would it show that they are making a step to protect the consumers health, the health of the very consumers that line the pockets of the companys (dont mean this in a rude way) Just stating as when we Had a family business our grandfather always used to remind us to respect our customers and their health since we had a food store since they are the ones who pay our wages.

Bump For this thread
    Exactly wiltedfire.... it's when you add up 3 capsule based products and 1 or 2 powders on a daily basis that it can reach levels of concern... AND i've seen alot of guys on this board complaining of anxiety and ADD/ADHD issues which some studies have linked these colors and sweetners to ....

I don't need to consume a pre-workout powder and feel like I'm drinking a liquid pixie stick and then need to soak my blender bottle to get the purple/blue/red coloring off the inside of it... are we grown men or 10 yr old kids???

Aspartame is a 100% dealbreaker for me and Sucralose is not far behind.. ill pay 2$ more per tub for Stevia and a natural food based coloring

13. if they keep making it look like kool aid. how long before a kid drinks it and some mom is on opra crying they are targeting kids with this poison. then the man will put a end to supplement.

14. Actually, companies are probably in the right here. There have been studies (which I have no link to ATM) the show the impact of the placebo effect is stronger depending on the color and size of the pills being used. A big red pill with nothing in it would make a more effective stimulant type of product than a small blue one. So coloring could allow some companies to develop worse formulations than they would otherwise need in order to get the desired effect.

Chris

15. Quote Originally Posted by ophidian View Post
    Actually, companies are probably in the right here. There have been studies (which I have no link to ATM) the show the impact of the placebo effect is stronger depending on the color and size of the pills being used. A big red pill with nothing in it would make a more effective stimulant type of product than a small blue one. So coloring could allow some companies to develop worse formulations than they would otherwise need in order to get the desired effect.

Chris
    That may be understandable, and wether thats true or not doesn't really matter...Whether thats the case or not is besides the point, I think the main issue here the dangers or risk healths that are posed from the artificial dyes/colorings ... The issue of "appearance" and cosmetics, appeal, sexy products etc etc is besides the point. yes its all cute and dandy but the issue is artificial stuff that poses health risks when Natural alternatives could just be used (if these companys wanted to that is, IF)

What really strikes me is that companys put so much effort into making their formulations, and carrying out extensive research on each ingredients and blends, but then "somehow" ignore the risks that may be involved with the artificial colorings in the pills? I dont quite get how that works. The same goes for the artificial sweeteners. They only have to put in some effort once and for all to find a safe natural alternative to coloring these pills, and then just use them. Its not like they need to spend days upon days on research for the colorings for each and every product they use. Just find a good natural alternative, and end of story I guess?

If im not wrong there was an issue about the dangers of these colorings with some companys just a few years back in the UK in regards to sweets, the info was available on bbc news' website. Not sure what was decided in the end, but even in this case clear dangers were pointed out.

16. Interesting peice of info if anybody is interested in reading it...

FD&C Blue Dye # 1 & 2: Are you eating crude oil for breakfast?

These dyes are artificial colorings often found in familiar toothpaste brands and a wide variety of other products. Recent studies indicate that FD & C Blue Dyes 1 & 2 can trigger a wide number of behavioral, learning, and health problems. FD&C color dyes may also cause potentially severe allergic reactions, asthma attacks, headaches, nausea, fatigue, nervousness, lack of concentration, and cancer. (From “Formation of carcinogenic aromatic amine from an azo dye by human skin bacteria in vitro” & “Skin discoloration with blue food coloring”)

Using FD & C Blue Dyes 1 & 2 is just like ingesting crude oil as it too, is synthesized from petroleum. These dyes were originally made from coal tar oil, which is a black, sticky tar by-product of steel making and petroleum distillation, and is a source of numerous complex chemicals. Through repeated human exposure, some of these isolated coal tar components
    were classified as active carcinogens, ultimately leading to government regulations and restrictions.

Nowadays, coal tar dyes are synthetically engineered rather than extracted from actual coal tar, thereby greatly reducing the possibility of being contaminated with carcinogenic residuals from the coal itself. However, the dyes still contain carcinogenic properties. Over several decades of use, some of these synthetic dyes have come under greater scientific and government scrutiny due to their carcinogenic and mutagenic activity. Because of this, they are still referred to in the industry as “coal tar dyes,” according to the FDA. (From U.S. Food & Drug Administration. “Color Additives Fact Sheet.”)

17. wow very interesting thanks

18. Food coloring gets you Jacked and high.

19. Quote Originally Posted by freezito View Post
    come on texas, do you honestly think people buy supps because they are pretty?
    100% yes, have you ever worked in a supplement shop? Most of the online forum people are smarter than that, but HOLY COW does color and flashyness attract the less educated. That is BSN's whole scheme behind their bottle designs... it proven shiny & colorful things attract human attention.

Now don't get me wrong, I do agree with you all from the consumer standpoint and I'm sure some natural dyes can be put in place, but I don't know for sure. As stated I will bring this up to the guys and see what they think.

20. I blame the movie The Matrix. Do you think it would be as cool as saying "Do you want to take this colorless pills or that colorless pill? Oh crap! I forgot which one I put where!" and just like that he might have taken the blue pill and the movie industry as we know it would have collapsed in oblivion.

21. i blame dumb people that need bright colors to be entertained.
    l

22. Interesting dialogue- and I understand the point that is trying to be made- but, in our defense these are all FDA and EPA-Approved additives under CFR 21 Ch. 1 Part 74, and are found in 1000's of different prescription and non-prescription entities, with no proven toxicity (please, no conspiracy theories or things you read on the internet or in a magazine, facts based on scientific research). Here are some links to information where you can educate yourself about the additives, and make your own decisions. I urge you to get the facts before consuming any type of consumer product (including ours):

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PEST...y-12/p3307.htm
    http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/index.cfm?o...ED9AB34EFB2FAD
    http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/index.cfm?o...DC9EB66B08F9D1

As for staining the inside of a shaker cup, a lot of natural products will do that as well- especially quercetin and beta-carotene, and those are non-toxic at reasonable dosages.......
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

23. I agree there is no need for artificial flavors and colors. It's more for bling effect and cost.

24. Pre-Max by Primordial Performance seems to have possibly started to turn the tide:

Haven't tried it bit the ingredient profile is how I wish more products looked:

Ingredients: Organic freeze-dried pomegranate, PeptoPro® brand hydrolyzed casein protein isolate.

Other ingredients: Natural flavors, malic acid, tapioca flour, silicon dioxide, stevia extract, lou han guo extract.

Noy soy

No artificial sweeteners or colors

No preservatives

No added sugars

25. Again this is NOT bashing App Nut .. HGH up was only used as an example, there are dozens more and I am not endorsing Pre-Max as I have never used, only using the ingredient as an example that it can be done

26. Quote Originally Posted by ophidian View Post
    Actually, companies are probably in the right here. There have been studies (which I have no link to ATM) the show the impact of the placebo effect is stronger depending on the color and size of the pills being used. A big red pill with nothing in it would make a more effective stimulant type of product than a small blue one. So coloring could allow some companies to develop worse formulations than they would otherwise need in order to get the desired effect.

Chris
    if artificial colors weren't used, and there was no placebo effect partially attributed to the bright colors, then perhaps we would be able to better gauge how well our supplements were working. fake bright colors in supplements are feeding the placebo. not sure about most people, but I don't like being naive and confused, wishfully believing my shiny supplements are working. and this is without mentioning potential health risks of ingesting these over long periods of time. I know that my insides get a little unruly after eating too many CL supps.. can't be certain it's because of the colors, but you never know. definitely not bashing anyone, I know that some companies on the boards have a lot of integrity. just wanted to express my 100% agreement with OP. peace, cheers

27. Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    IMO I don't care if the pill is pretty...I'm ingesting it anyway and it's all the same when it come out the other end.
    Yeah! I don't care if the pill looks sh*t brown as long as it works.

28. Quote Originally Posted by mc2000 View Post
    Again this is NOT bashing App Nut .. HGH up was only used as an example, there are dozens more and I am not endorsing Pre-Max as I have never used, only using the ingredient as an example that it can be done
    I like the way that they went with Pre-Max- it is a really good formulation- and I think it does a good job of blending two facets of the industry that don't always gel: sports supplements and general health products.

Could be an interesting trend- Biomend (our anti-oxidant formula) is made up of several superfood ingredients (Acai Berry Ext., Strawberry Ext., Blueberry Ext.), and it seems to be extremely helpful, especially in cold and flu season.

I personally don't recommend supps as a replacement for whole foods- only to augment (I know, kinda weird for someone who owns a supp. company). Eating fruits and vegetables every day will genuinely make you feel better, and get sick less, and, in a nutshell, that is what this game is about.

Interestingly enough- there are differences between chemically-synthesized vitamins, and vitamins from natural sources (although very subtle). The enantiomers and isomers on some of the molecules are different, and, as we know, this can completely change the structure and function of said substance......

My thoughts: everything in moderation, and you will be just fine- and cycle on and off when it comes to supps (even everyday staples). Experiment, and you will find what works best for you, b/c every person is different in terms of brain and body chemistry. Honestly, once you do find what works, you will know it, almost right away- took me 10 years, but I found it about 2 years ago- and remember, it has to tie into both long- and short-term goals.....
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

29. Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    I like the way that they went with Pre-Max- it is a really good formulation- and I think it does a good job of blending two facets of the industry that don't always gel: sports supplements and general health products.

Could be an interesting trend- Biomend (our anti-oxidant formula) is made up of several superfood ingredients (Acai Berry Ext., Strawberry Ext., Blueberry Ext.), and it seems to be extremely helpful, especially in cold and flu season.

I personally don't recommend supps as a replacement for whole foods- only to augment (I know, kinda weird for someone who owns a supp. company). Eating fruits and vegetables every day will genuinely make you feel better, and get sick less, and, in a nutshell, that is what this game is about.

Interestingly enough- there are differences between chemically-synthesized vitamins, and vitamins from natural sources (although very subtle). The enantiomers and isomers on some of the molecules are different, and, as we know, this can completely change the structure and function of said substance......

My thoughts: everything in moderation, and you will be just fine- and cycle on and off when it comes to supps (even everyday staples). Experiment, and you will find what works best for you, b/c every person is different in terms of brain and body chemistry. Honestly, once you do find what works, you will know it, almost right away- took me 10 years, but I found it about 2 years ago- and remember, it has to tie into both long- and short-term goals.....
    Excellent point ... let me preface this by stating I love RPM... I know all the supplement companies are using colors/dyes within FDA guidelines... It's just that I feel like years ago I had used ALOT of aspartame in products and added it to coffee etc... then it's not til years later that oops! there MAY be a problem and linked to possible side effects in certain people...

And god help us if things like cell phones are linked to brain tumors and years or decades from now there will be a whole generation of 30-40 yr olds with problems from those... I'm 41 and I just feel like you need to be proactive with your own health, do your own research and not just blindly believe that just because FDA says it is ok that it is ok 100% of the time for all people

Im very proud that Bodybuilding, for the lack of respect we get as a sport as a whole, has always been at the forefront of new health trends and maybe we can eventually lead the change with this.... It won't happen overnight but hopefully gradually we can put HEALTH near the top along with 18 inch arms and rock hard abs!!!

30. If i knew a product worked i wouldnt care about appeal i understand texaslifters idea that its not about us more educated people but the less educated which is true its a business so they have to be attractive products. But i still feel that having a attractive box or attractive bottle is much more eye catching then an attractive pill as i dont open my bottles and say eww these pills look pale i dont want this anymore.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. We want Yellow Gold, We want Yellow Gold (Chant)
    By ttreewalkerr in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
  2. ECA, yellow bullets or yellow devils
    By jay21 in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
  3. Yellow Gold
    By simpledude in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. Replies: 14