Best Fat Burner

socommedic

Awards
Hey all, I'm a poor newbie on this site humbly inquiring upon the wisdom of all the good folks in here. I some questions about fat burners (with or without ephedra) and thought I'd ask the subject matter experts in the forums.

I'm in the military and do cardio workouts fairly regularly, as well as weight lifting about 4-5 days a week. I've been training and working out for the better half of this decade. I'm 5'10" and 183 lbs, about 12% body fat.

My problem is, I'd like to get rid of the remaining 10-15 lbs of fat but for the life of me cannot seem to attain this goal. Although I don't have a gut by any means, I do have a layer of fat around my midsection that I've been hauling around for the past 10 years. It just. wont. go. away. I've tried some over the counter supplements like Hydroxycut and Xenadrine, but although I do feel energy during workouts I still don't see the fat shred away in my gut. I have a feeling that it's going to be there permanently, because my skin is fairly loose around my midsection and it'll probably never retract and get me that ripped look that I want.

So my question is, are there any other supplements out there that you all have experienced with first hand and worked for you? I've heard of products like Black Knight and AMP'd, but thought I'd do my research here before I make a decision. Also, are there products I can take simulataneously to get a better effect? What else can I do to finally rid me of the fat aroud my belly? I run about 15-20 miles a week along with eliptical training. Thanks!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Muscle is the best natural fat burner, maybe you should try increasing your LBM and then cutting down.

You can get ephedra in a product called bronkaid or primatene at your local CVS/Walgreens. It's behind the counter so you'll have to ask for it.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Diet is what you need to be focused on right now. Fat burners will not do anything for you if you are eating junk food or over maintenance. Make sure that you are getting enough lean protein, low glycemic carbs and healthy fats. Drink lots of water and eat lots of fibrous veggies.

What kind of workout routine are you on? I highly recommend full body routines and lots of compound movements for fat loss. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, Clean and Press, Pull Ups, Dips, etc. are great for working your entire body, helping you gain muscle and lose fat.

HIIT Sprints are great for adding to lifting routine for speeding up the fat loss process.

After you have all of the above set straight for yourself, then you can pick up a good fat burner. My favorite is X-Force. It provides a great boost of energy and I've had some great fat loss results while using it. But don't start taking a fat burner and expect it to do anything if you don't have your diet and training in order.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Diet is what you need to be focused on right now. Fat burners will not do anything for you if you are eating junk food or over maintenance. Make sure that you are getting enough lean protein, low glycemic carbs and healthy fats. Drink lots of water and eat lots of fibrous veggies.

What kind of workout routine are you on? I highly recommend full body routines and lots of compound movements for fat loss. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, Clean and Press, Pull Ups, Dips, etc. are great for working your entire body, helping you gain muscle and lose fat.

HIIT Sprints are great for adding to lifting routine for speeding up the fat loss process.

After you have all of the above set straight for yourself, then you can pick up a good fat burner. My favorite is X-Force. It provides a great boost of energy and I've had some great fat loss results while using it. But don't start taking a fat burner and expect it to do anything if you don't have your diet and training in order.
2x to that. I like to stack a ketogenic diet with HIIT sprints. You will feel like you're going to die but the results are awesome. Getting to keto can be hard though.

socommedic

Awards
thanks for your responses! to answer your questions, I have a very strict exercise regimen. I do sprint drills, all forms of HIIT training, cross-fit, and vigorous weight lifting workouts. I'm not a big guy per se, but I do consider myself fairly strong for my size. I've been weightlifting for about 8 solid years now, spend at least 1.5-2 hours in the gym targeting a specific muscle for that day. For example, I would do chest on mondays and perform anywhere from 25-35 sets of exercises, depending on how I would feel. It's always been hard for me to gain a lot of lean muscle, and it's probably genetic. Both my parents are very small people.

As for my eating habits, I was impeccable in eating right and abstaining fast foods for years. Lately however within these few months I've kinda slacked off in that department. However, even when I was eating well I still wasn't able to lose as much fat as I'd like. I try to drink as much water as possible, especially during my workouts.

I've tried Xendarine RFA-1 (the old school variant with ephedra), Hydroxicut, and Stimerex. All of them give some form of energy boost so I take them almost daily while I exercise, but again, it's been almost impossible to get rid of the last remaining layer of fat around my midsection. I'm "skinny" around my face, arms, upper torso, and pretty much every other area except around my gut/love handles. I've done some research and I've been recommended to use Isatori Lean System 7. Has anyone had success with this product? I'll definately look into X-Force. Also I'm thinking of using CLA. Is that a good product as well? Thanks for your input! Greatly appreciated.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're doing far too much volume. 20-25 sets is overkill.

socommedic

Awards
yea, i am beginning to realize that. there were times during the years when I would over-train and my body would be really jacked up for a month, and then I'd ease off. I'm reading a lot and every source is telling me to limit my workout to about an hour at most, with 12-15 sets and 8-12 repetitions. but i do know that it depends on what my goal is, whether to bulk up or stay more cut/lean.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea, i am beginning to realize that. there were times during the years when I would over-train and my body would be really jacked up for a month, and then I'd ease off. I'm reading a lot and every source is telling me to limit my workout to about an hour at most, with 12-15 sets and 8-12 repetitions. but i do know that it depends on what my goal is, whether to bulk up or stay more cut/lean.
Not really. Your training should not vary too much; it's the diet that is the main factor.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
As for my eating habits, I was impeccable in eating right and abstaining fast foods for years. Lately however within these few months I've kinda slacked off in that department. However, even when I was eating well I still wasn't able to lose as much fat as I'd like.
If I hadn't just repped rodja I'd rep him again. Its all diet. Junk food and fast food does not just mean McDonalds. What is your diet? What are your macros? If you'd like to post a typical days diet we will critique it. Diet is 80-90% of the game.

socommedic

Awards
i usually eat lean meats like chicken and fish, but i do love red meat as well. i stay away from bacon and other fatty meats, always eat 4 hard boiled eggs in the morning sans the yolk. i think one thing i dont adhere to is limiting carb intake. I'd eat sandwhiches, starchy foods, rice, and other carbs late at night when i'm hungry. i'd also eat danishes and other pastries. these days i've been eating quite a bit of fatty foods, although I plan on stopping that.

is there a link or website you can refer me to for a great diet program? what are some good food choices that would make the most difference? again, i really appreciate all your helpful insight!

socommedic

Awards
and another probelm i have is portion control. i would often eat insane amounts of food at one sitting, and not eat anything afterwards for quite a while. i know it's terrible so i'm trying to get into a habit of eating 5-6 smaller meals a day to get my metabolism up.

socommedic

Awards
Not really. Your training should not vary too much; it's the diet that is the main factor.
can you explain this to me please? are you saying that I should keep at the same volume and that I'm not really overtraining? sorry for the confusion!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
can you explain this to me please? are you saying that I should keep at the same volume and that I'm not really overtraining? sorry for the confusion!
No, no. Your current volume of 20-25 sets is far too much. However, I am of the view that your training should not change too much depending on your diet. If you usually do 10-12 sets for a particular muscle, then stick with that. You may be in a caloric deficit, but you should still train as hard as you can. Just remember to use your strength as a gauge on your diet. If you're losing too much strength too quickly, then add 100-200 kcals back into your diet. Many people have a tendency to go too far and this is why they plateau and lose muscle. Just like gaining LBM, losing BF is a process that takes time.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well a good way to see what your intake nets out to in terms of macro ratios is fitday.com or dailyburn.com. Those are a good start, it will open your eyes to how much of what you are eating. Also, eating at least 2 of the egg yolks is good for you, just watch the bad fats. You need fat when trying to cut fat, it helps with hormone optomization and will actually build up your natural test levels. Olive oil, almonds, eggs, all have good fats in them and I always shoot for 50/30/20 P/F/C when I am trying to cut fat.

socommedic

Awards
Well a good way to see what your intake nets out to in terms of macro ratios is fitday.com or dailyburn.com. Those are a good start, it will open your eyes to how much of what you are eating. Also, eating at least 2 of the egg yolks is good for you, just watch the bad fats. You need fat when trying to cut fat, it helps with hormone optomization and will actually build up your natural test levels. Olive oil, almonds, eggs, all have good fats in them and I always shoot for 50/30/20 P/F/C when I am trying to cut fat.
I'm sorry what is 50/30/20 P/F/C?

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
Obviously diet is the main concern, but judging by your workout routines, coritsol may be a factor, especially fat clinging to the midsection. adjust your diet accordingly and try using a cortisol control product like Lean Xtreme or Suppress-C. If your working out that hard, that much, your cortisol levels are bound to raise under that level of stress.

socommedic

Awards
Obviously diet is the main concern, but judging by your workout routines, coritsol may be a factor, especially fat clinging to the midsection. adjust your diet accordingly and try using a cortisol control product like Lean Xtreme or Suppress-C. If your working out that hard, that much, your cortisol levels are bound to raise under that level of stress.

thanks! in a nutshell, can you explain to me why my cortisol levels are high, and what that does to me. what are some ways to adjust my diet to lower cortisol? better yet, is there a website or somewhere on this forum regarding this, because im sure other people have addressess the same noob question like me. again, thanks for all the help!

socommedic

Awards
50% of your calorie intake from Protein (P), 30% of your cal intake from Fat (F) and 20% of your Calorie intake from Carbs (C)
isn't it ideal to consume a lot of carbs to give you energy for your workouts? i pound my system with all kinds of carbs, especially in the morning after doing heavy cardio.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks! in a nutshell, can you explain to me why my cortisol levels are high, and what that does to me. what are some ways to adjust my diet to lower cortisol? better yet, is there a website or somewhere on this forum regarding this, because im sure other people have addressess the same noob question like me. again, thanks for all the help!
:lol: it's called "google." Search "cortisol and bodybuilding" or something like that and read up.

isn't it ideal to consume a lot of carbs to give you energy for your workouts? i pound my system with all kinds of carbs, especially in the morning after doing heavy cardio.
Energy is energy. It can be derived just as easily from fat or protein as it can from carbs, it all just depends on what enzymes predominate in your gut. Give your body enough dietary fat, and guess what? It'll start processing fat more readily and easily.

"Pounding" your system with CHO is just uninformed. Too much insulin, no matter how hard the workout, leads to fat gain. Insulin triggers anabolism in both adipose and muscle remember. It's better to pick some steadily digested carbs that have ample benefit and fiber, such as berries, grapfruit or veggies.

Whole grains are alright, but very much overrated. They simply don't offer hardly anything other than a carbon source.