At least 30g of Fish Oil daily?

bmore

Awards
The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass
by Charles Poliquin
In many seminars, I always get asked which supplements are best to gain mass. My answers will surprise many of you.

Here they are:

1. Fish Oil

What? Fish oil? That is not cool, avant-garde, sexy, or exotic. Fish oil?

Yes. Fish oil. You cannot be anabolic without enough Omega 3s. For example, I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day. If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.

Additional reasons for using fish oil include:

It reduces inflammation.
It improves insulin sensitivity: makes glucose and amino acids get better in your starved muscle cells.
Taking fish oil in a liquid form is the most economical way of doing it. But taking them every meal works best. I always recommend a combination of liquid and capsules - Liquid for home meals, and capsules for away from home meals.

Just interested to hear some opinions on this.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of fish oil super loading. Never tried it myself though. The idea that fish oil helps promote an anabolic state seems plausible. However, I am very skeptical that the NFL draft pick the OP refers to gains 29 lbs. of lean muscle in one month! Thats a lb. a day of lean mass!!!! I wish.

Antabolix

Awards
Haha april fools!:twak: Sounds like fish oil is much stronger than AAS...AND healthy!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
OMG 30G!!!! You could bleed to death, from a nose bleed.

Fish oil is a hella blood thinner.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
What if I mainline 1 liter of fish oil per day? Will I see huge gains in mass and strength?

bmore

Awards
I agree the whole thing seems real sketchy, just though it was interesting.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
I agree the whole thing seems real sketchy, just though it was interesting.
I was just kidding man; I don't know about that high of a dosage but I definately feel like it helps.

bmore

Awards
I was just kidding man; I don't know about that high of a dosage but I definately feel like it helps.
No worries buddy, I was just wondering because the guy who wrote that is no joke and it got me interested.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
No worries buddy, I was just wondering because the guy who wrote that is no joke and it got me interested.
That's true. Give it a try man and let us know how it goes.

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
If he put on 29 pounds of lean mass in a month it wasn't tons of fish oil that did it, end of story.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I've taken anywhere from 20 to 30 grams daily for months at a time. I didn't experience any ill effects, nor did I gain 29 lean pounds :(

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
Wouldnt that be like 15 to 30 average caps of fish oil and around a cup a day in liquid measure?
I'll just bathe in it and absorb through osmosis.

h22t88

Awards
I'd be careful with that one. As stated above it is a major blood thinner. I was taking 15g a day for a couple weeks and started feeling really ****ty. Took my BP and it was 80/45. Stopped taking it and it came back up to 110/70 in three days. A couple doctors told me that it can cause liver damage as well. Haven't looked into that yet, but if you are using cod liver oil, the vitamin A will bcome toxic.

bmore

Awards
If he put on 29 pounds of lean mass in a month it wasn't tons of fish oil that did it, end of story.
Agreed, I mean obviously this NFL player was working his a** off with a top notch strength and conditioning coach. I'm just wondering how big of a role it actually played.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I'd be careful with that one. As stated above it is a major blood thinner. I was taking 15g a day for a couple weeks and started feeling really ****ty. Took my BP and it was 80/45. Stopped taking it and it came back up to 110/70 in three days. A couple doctors told me that it can cause liver damage as well. Haven't looked into that yet, but if you are using cod liver oil, the vitamin A will bcome toxic.
I wonder if fish oil could be used to treat high blood pressure? I take about 1g daily but maybe i'll up it.

Agreed, I mean obviously this NFL player was working his a** off with a top notch strength and conditioning coach. I'm just wondering how big of a role it actually played.
I don't care how hard this guy worked or how great his diet was. 29 lean lbs in one month? That might be oil but not fish oil. :saeek:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually only take about 6-8grams a day

h22t88

Awards
are those the same doctors who say you'll get liver damage from creatine?
Haha..I know right? Gotta love physicians. There was a study that concluded that CLA can cause fatty liver (stage before cirrhosis) in healthy individuals under high dosage. So IDK. I highly doubt that O3's would cause that when (a lot of us) take in well over 100g of other fat a day.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
back when nutra had 1000 caps for $26, i did it for a month. didnt really notice much. apparently it helped with mood for some too... not me

fsupat

Awards
The man writes articles on a website that sells supplements. That should be all you need to know about him.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Bunk. At no time in human evolution did any group of people consume 45 freakin grams of fish oils. It probably doesn't harm anything except your wallet, but c'mon...29 pounds in one month?!

I've tried it and aside from oilier skin and temporary hike in mood, it didn't do anything for my physique. It may have lowered my immune response because the year I did it, I caught every damned cold and flu bug that went around and that's not the norm for me. I'd wager it would wonders for a morbidly obese person, but that's not what this site is about.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
29 lean lbs. in one month.... that means I could gain 360 lean lbs. in one year right? And all i need is 17 kilograms of fish oil! I'm going to be HUGE!

Jay V 24

Jay V 24

Banned
Awards
30 grams? damn. My burps would smell like My girlfriend at that time of the month.

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
I can't post links yet so I had to copy and paste from eHow.com -

Healthy Dosage
According to IronMagazine.com, for the everyday man or woman who's not trying to build massive amounts of muscle, 1 to 2 caplets of fish oil is enough to maintain brain function and aid in heart health. Bodybuilders, on the other hand, have a larger intake because of a diet that is rich in fish containing omega-3 fatty acid. As a result, according to IronMagazine.com: "A reduction in fat mass is to be expected, as well as fat being less likely to be distributed in the abdominal area." This reduction of abdominal fat is the goal of bodybuilders so that the muscles in that area become more visible--so naturally increasing the amount of fish oil can help them achieve that goal. IronMagazine.com recommends a dosage of no more than 4g per day for anyone, so you might need more than the recommended 1 to 2 caplets depending on the EPA/DHA percentages in your fish oil (EPA/DHA are active ingredients in fish oil).
Overdose
You can have too much of a good thing--even something that's supposed to be healthy for you--so be wary of overdosing on fish oil. IronMagazine.com says that doses as minimal as 3.6g per day can thin the blood, which can lead to a higher probability of bleeding problems with any increase in dosage over that. Doses over 20g can lead to "increased liver and spleen weight, adverse effects on iron metabolism, and red blood cell deformities...". These possible side effects of too much fish oil are not worthwhile for a bodybuilder, or anyone.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/2/G338

"Liver weight from fish oil-fed mice was 60% greater than that from carbohydrate-fed mice, possibly through peroxisomal proliferation."
what % of daily calories was from fish oil in that though? 30g is still under 10% of daily caloric intake for most of us, where in that example it sounds like they replaced all carb intake with fish oil which for most of us would be more like 200+g of fish oil :)

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have seen no ill effects from 10 caps a day (NP brand) and I know it has aided in keeping my BP in the normal range when before it hoovered above 130/90.

Diabetes Man

Awards
wow that s really a super cool idea..But i ll try it out on my bro first :)

sampson27

sampson27

Awards
Read the rest of the article as well, as there are some interesting points as well. The second point about Alkaline or being more neutral has some validity to it. the less acidic, the better the body can process and spends less time trying to get back to neutral and fighting against itself, thus making the body more anabolic.Though, this is often a nutritionist point of view to educate people to eat healthier and eat more often to lose weight or fat. Hopefully, I stated this correctly, but when I met with a nutritionist about 6 months ago, this is exactly what they said about eating and combining foods. For example, not to eat Carrots with greens, they work against each other and do not digest well together. Anyway, read the rest of the article as well, may not pertain to everyone, but was interesting.

bmore

Awards
This is the entire article.

The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass
by Charles Poliquin
In many seminars, I always get asked which supplements are best to gain mass. My answers will surprise many of you.

Here they are:

1. Fish Oil

What? Fish oil? That is not cool, avant-garde, sexy, or exotic. Fish oil?

Yes. Fish oil. You cannot be anabolic without enough Omega 3s. For example, I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day. If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.

Additional reasons for using fish oil include:

It reduces inflammation.
It improves insulin sensitivity: makes glucose and amino acids get better in your starved muscle cells.
Taking fish oil in a liquid form is the most economical way of doing it. But taking them every meal works best. I always recommend a combination of liquid and capsules - Liquid for home meals, and capsules for away from home meals.

2. Primal Greens:

What? Ground veggies? Yes, indeed.

The more alkaline you are, the more anti-catabolic you are. Cortisol puts the body in an acidified status; Primal Greens alkalizes you and reverses that state in no time.

A Primal Green drink with 40 BCAA tablets post-workout will put you immediately in an anabolic state. Primal Greens are rapidly becoming a staple recovery in the U.K. in both football and rugby circles. Some athletes like to alternate between Primal Reds and Primal Greens to get a broader base of micro-nutrients.

3. Whey Stronger:

This product is great for the following reasons:

It is low-heat processed. All of the important proteins like immunoglobulins are not denatured. It is the same proteins you would find in organic milk.
The milk comes from grass-fed cows. Therefore, it is rich in CLA, another well acknowledged anti-catabolic nutrient.
It is rich in BCAAs and glutamine, important anti-catabolic factors.
It is a better precursor for glutathione, therefore a more anti-oxidant protein.

In order to maximize the benefits of Whey Stronger, use 0.25 g per pound of bodyweight, first thing in the morning with 1 tablespoon of glutamine. Use it again, 0.25 g per pound of bodyweight, post-workout.

4. Carbohydrate Powder:

My philosophy on any nutrient is that if you want the best results, get the best stuff.

There are a lot of carb powders out there to chose from but my favorite is unflavored QuadriCarb ultra-soluble powder. It reloads glycogen the fastest.

QuadriCarb is a better choice because of it leaves the stomach faster, delivering glucose more quickly to the blood, and potentiating insulin release to a greater extent, compared to plain old malto-dextrin. It contains 4 different types of sugars with different glycemic curves that permit greater glycogen synthesis for an extended period of time.

These three metabolic attributes translate into faster muscle glycogen repletion after intense workouts (or competition), and an increased ability to drive the transport of anabolic/anti-catabolic nutrients like branched chain amino acids, creatine, and even carnitine.

Carnitine does not accumulate or "load" in muscle unless accompanied by high insulin concentrations, explaining why virtually all carnitine studies have NOT shown increases in muscle carnitine after oral or even intravenous dosing in multi-gram doses. Additionally, very recent research indicates that the exceptional potentiating effects of QuadriCarb on insulin release may switch off" muscle protein breakdown in human muscle. Together, QuadriCarb can speed recovery and muscle refueling, drive nutrient transport, and foster an environment in muscle that supports gains in lean mass, both as carbohydrate/glycogen and muscle proteins.

5. Multi-Intense:

A single nutrient deficiency can halt muscle growth altogether. After running countless Comprehensive Metabolic Profiles, it has become obvious that overcoming deficiencies has often blasted plateaus in strength and muscle mass gains.

For example, many baseball pitchers and track throwers were shown to be deficient in taurine and magnesium, because of all of their high velocity throws. Restoring those two vital nutrients brought about immediate increases in performance in the gym.

In order to maximize the benefits of this nutritional solution, take 2 tablets, 3 times a day, in the middle of meals. That regimen should cover your nutritional bases.

Every person has different nutritional needs, but the above five are the best for everyone based on my experience. Use all of the above on a daily basis and you will have the foundation you need to achieve your goals.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
The man writes articles on a website that sells supplements. That should be all you need to know about him.
You are talking about Charles Poliquin...he holds merit in many areas. This is not just "some guy" who writes articles on a supplement board.

However, this has been discussed beyond pathetic belief over the past two years....there is VERY little, if ANY, truth to this claim...

I believe the player was also noted to have a little "help" while he was taking the fish oils...

I also want to say that it was David Boston, but my memory fails me. David was on more than fish oils, BELIEVE ME! 220 lb WR his first 3 years into a 289lb WR in the matter of 14 months? yeah, ok....it was all just fish oils.

It may not have been Boston, but I think that is who it was.

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
You are talking about Charles Poliquin...he holds merit in many areas. This is not just "some guy" who writes articles on a supplement board.

However, this has been discussed beyond pathetic belief over the past two years....there is VERY little, if ANY, truth to this claim...

I believe the player was also noted to have a little "help" while he was taking the fish oils...

I also want to say that it was David Boston, but my memory fails me. David was on more than fish oils, BELIEVE ME! 220 lb WR his first 3 years into a 289lb WR in the matter of 14 months? yeah, ok....it was all just fish oils.

It may not have been Boston, but I think that is who it was.
David Boston would make sense, he failed a test for GHB and then went to play in the CFL, then got injured in 2008 and hasn't played football since.

Aaelael

Aaelael

Awards
  • Established
WELL all in all ladies and gentleman i do think that this article is more out a statement for lifestyle. There are extreme's in every case and we have to look at this one as a particular extreme for FISH OIL! hahah. . . other than that lil blurb i like the article with greens and reds

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
EasyEJ, couple nice posts..saw some other good points thruout this thread (hardknock, yeah the dude in question had some other things going on other than fish oil - don't think that was part of Charles' Rx tho!), but overall a lot of short-sidedness here.
Poliquin is a serious guru. yes, he does try to sell his own line -- that has been developed with his own nutritional philosophy in mind. that doesn't mean his supplements are of poor quality or that he doesn't know what he's talking about. I think the dude is brilliant.
I have dosed 30g fish oil before, with only positive effects. this was en route to a bb'ing show, where it made up roughly 2/3 of my 45-50g alotted fat intake daily..definitely had a positive impact on growth and body comp. in fact, truth be told, that timeframe is probably the biggest musculature I have had in my life. these days, depending on diet, the most I consume is 15g daily.
another thing -- I saw a mention of 'standard' fish oil caps..as usual, sourcing w/ your omega3's is everything. there is a lot of poor quality fish oil out there; and the 'standard' fish oil cap only contains 300mg of EPA/DHA per cap. the best way to go when ingesting this amount is actual liquid oil, not caps; if you do caps, you want to go with one that contains 1g per cap (GNC's Triple-Strength is 900mg per cap, and top-notch quality as well..no fishy burps w/ this stuff)..otherwise, using a standard 300mg dosing, you would have to consume @50 caps daily to get 15g!!
Poliquin also recommends hi-dosing BCAA's surrounding/intra workout for serious growth, upwards of 30g depending on bodyweight..I have seen excellent results with this tactic as well. what you guys have to realize is, this is hard-core recommendation for the natural athlete if you want to play on a level of the guys who are not natty..I would suggest you try these two shematics, combined with a solid diet, and see where your results go.
hi-dosing of omega3's will remain a staple in my regime for life.

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil makes me lethargic beyond 10 grams a day...maybe if someone came out with a super concentrated version giving same results while taking less...?

fanzdslpwr

Awards
  • Established
what about fish oils effect on natural test levels? I read before that high amounts of fish oil lowers natural production of test.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Poliquin is a serious guru.
Does anyone here besides me know what he charges for 1 year of acting as your trainer / dietician? when he is your trainer you are undergoing weekly to monthly blood tests including most of the micronutrient profiles you normally never get tested for (the individual vitamins for instance) and he tunes your diet to get you into peak performance levels of everything.

So yes, the fish oil is a small part of his program, but I agree, I saw no negative effects (other than super oily skin + hair first 3 weeks, but no pimples, just oily) at over 30g/day for 8 weeks. I cut myself, and had no bleeding issues, and my bp stayed in normal range. I believe it did contribute to a positive change in body comp as well

marmadogg

Awards
Chuck's athletes are not putting on mass from 45g of fish oil caps. I know this for a fact from first hand sources. They are putting on mass and stripping fat by training two to three times a day, five to six days a week.

There is only one way a human even with superior genetics can train that much...I know the cycles are mild but it is a well know fact that fish oil is not the secret by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: I take 20-24 Now Ultra Omega-3 capsules a day which gives me the 15g+ of EPA/DHA a day which is what is required by Chuck.

Last edited:
snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what about fish oils effect on natural test levels? I read before that high amounts of fish oil lowers natural production of test.
really?? :blink:
I'd like to see that excerpt.
I think what you read was the opposite..

a non-Poliquin source to read:
Fish Oil
Macronutrient

OVERVIEW

Summary
Fish oil contains a powerful form of essential fatty acid called omega-3 — a healthy, "good fat." Because survey's indicate as much as 90% of the American population is deficient in good fats, such as those found in fish oil, many people are turning to fish oil supplements to support optimal health and performance.

Other names for Fish Oil
omega-3, EPA, DHA

Where to find Fish Oil
Fish oils are found in cold water fish, such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, trout, halibut, and sardines.

Note All fish oils deteriorate rapidly when exposed to light, heat, and metals.

PERFORMANCE BENEFITS

Why athletes use Fish Oil
People from all walks of life use fish oil to support the overall health of many of the body's major systems, including the immune, cardiovascular, nervous, and reproductive systems. Active individuals especially are finding that fish oils and other essential fatty acids are not only essential for optimal health but improve performance as well.

Shown to decrease muscle breakdown, decrease inflammation, increase muscle growth, speed recovery time, support hormone secretion, and support healthy joints and connective tissue, fish oils have a wealth of benefits for any athlete.

Ways that Fish Oil can enhance Muscle Gain & Recovery:

Reduce inflammation in muscles and joints to speed recovery time
Maintain the health and structure of connective tissue and joints
Support testosterone levels for optimal muscle development
Ways that Fish Oil can enhance Longevity:

Dramatically decrease triglyceride levels to reduce the risk of heart disease

HEALTH BENEFITS

Signs of Fish Oil deficiency
No deficiency conditions are known to exist.

Potential uses for Fish Oil
Research indicates that Fish Oil may be useful in the treatment of:

Asthma
Skin conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis
Skin allergies
Cardiovascular disease
Arthritis
Inflammatory bowel disease
Cancer
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Menstrual pain

DISCUSSION

More about Fish Oil
Fish oil contains a powerful form of essential fatty acid (EFA) called omega-3. But unlike most forms of omega-3 EFA's, fish oil contains high amounts of linolenic acid, which is converted into EPA (eicosepanteanoic acid) and DHA (docohexaenoic acid). These essential fatty acids are needed to make a family of hormones called "eicosanoids." They are made in the body from alpha-linolenic acid and are essential for normal brain functioning and are also involved in regulating blood pressure and immune response.

EPA and DHA have been shown in research to dramatically decrease triglyceride levels and significantly reduce the risk of heart disease. Recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition examined the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on improving blood pressure and reducing the risk of ischemic heart disease. During the 7-week study, 38 middle-aged men and women who had elevated cholesterol levels took either eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), or a placebo. While the placebo group experienced no change, both groups on the omega-3 fatty acids enjoyed significant declines in plasma total triacylglycerol amounts, which appears to help prevent cardiac risk by improving the elasticity of large arteries.

Researchers have also found that DHA influences mood because it is the major EFA in the central nervous system. In fact, studies have found that people with low levels of DHA tend to have higher levels of depression.

In addition to their well-known heart benefits and possible mood-enhancing effects, the EFA's in fish oil also regulate prostaglandins, which are essential hormone-like substances that support many of the major systems in our bodies, including the immune, cardiovascular, nervous, and reproductive systems.

What does this have to do with performance?
Fish oils may support athletic performance in a number of ways. Studies show the EFA's in fish oil decrease muscle breakdown, increase muscle growth, reduce the time it takes muscles to recover after exercise, aid in the transfer of oxygen from the lungs to the bloodstream, and enhance a wide range of metabolic and hormonal functions.

In addition, studies have drawn a close correlation between diets low in omega-3's and decreased testosterone production. For example, one study found that individuals with a 36% dietary fat intake compared to individuals with a 7% fat intake had an average of 22% higher testosterone levels.
This finding is of particular interest to male athletes on reduced-fat nutrition plans. Because testosterone plays such a key role in building muscle size and strength, athletes with low fat intakes may be compromising their muscle development. But keep in mind, we're not talking about just any kind of fat. We're talking about the "good unsaturated fats" (omega-3 essential fatty acids) and not the artery-clogging saturated fats found in burgers and fries.

Cell protectors of the most impressive kind, omega-3 EFA's also help construct the membranes in every cell in our bodies, protecting the cells from harmful invaders and contributing to their structural integrity. For this reason, fish oil is often recommended for people who suffer from arthritis and other painful joint conditions. Research shows that the omega-3's in fish oil lubricate dry, brittle joints, decrease inflammation, and help maintain the health and structure of the connective tissue surrounding the joints.

In truth
Loading up on fast foods is not the solution. If that were the case, most Americans would not have to worry about getting enough EFA's. The challenge is we don't get enough of the right kinds of fats. In fact, surveys indicate that as much as 90% of the American population is deficient in the "good fats" found in fish oil.

Eating plenty of cold water fish is one solution, although it's not a guarantee. Unfortunately, a number of factors can block the conversion of linolenic acid into EPA and DHA, including excessive alcohol consumption, zinc deficiencies, a diet high in processed vegetable oils and sugar, and high cholesterol levels. That's why so many people are turning to fish oil supplements rich in linolenic acid and omega-3 EFA's in addition to making dietary changes.

NOTES ON USAGE

Amount
Some experts recommend 2 to 9 grams (1 to 2 teaspoons) of fish oil to prevent omega-3 essential fatty acid deficiencies and 9 to 18 grams per day to support optimal health and performance. Studies have shown that as little as 2.6 grams a day can reduce arthritis pain.

Timing
It appears to be best to consume fish oils with (or as part of) meals.

Tip
When consumed with hot liquids, fish oils are more likely to create the well-known fishy breath. This isn't a good thing if you're on a date or looking forward to intimate discussions with friends.

Synergists of Fish Oil
No synergists have been noted.

Toxicity of Fish Oil
No known toxicity.

Bans and restrictions
None reported.

RELATED RESEARCH

Alexander, J.W., "Immunonutrition: The Role of Omega-3 Fatty Acids," Nutrition 14.7-8 (1998) : 627-33.

Anderson, G.J., and Connor, W.E., "On the Demonstration of Omega-3 Essential-Fatty-Acid Deficiency in Humans (editorial)," Am J Clin Nutr," 49.4 (1989) : 585-7.

Brilla, L.R., and Landerholm, T.E., "Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation and Exercise on Serum Lipids and Aerobic Fitness," J Sports Med Phys Fitness 30.2 (1990) : 173-80.

Horrobin, D.F., "The Importance of Gamma-Linolenic Acid and Prostaglandin E1 in Human Nutrition and Medicine," J Holistic Med 3 (1981) : 118-39.

Nestel, P., et al., "The N-3 Fatty Acids Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid Increase Systemic Arterial Compliance in Humans," Am J Clin Nutr 76 (2002) : 326-30.

Prisco, D., et al., "Effect of Medium-Term Supplementation with a Moderate Dose of n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids on Blood Pressure in Mild Hypertensive Patients," Thromb Res 91.3 (1998) : 105-12.

Sargent, J.R., "Fish Oils and Human Diet," Br J Nutr 78.S1 (1997) : S5-13.

Schmidt, E.B., and Dyerberg, J., "Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Current Status in Cardiovascular Medicine," Drugs 47.3 (1994) :405-24.

Yehuda, S., "Essential Fatty Acids Are Mediators of Brain Biochemistry and Cognitive Functions," J Neurosci Res 56.6 (1999) : 565-70.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone here besides me know what he charges for 1 year of acting as your trainer / dietician? when he is your trainer you are undergoing weekly to monthly blood tests including most of the micronutrient profiles you normally never get tested for (the individual vitamins for instance) and he tunes your diet to get you into peak performance levels of everything.

So yes, the fish oil is a small part of his program, but I agree, I saw no negative effects (other than super oily skin + hair first 3 weeks, but no pimples, just oily) at over 30g/day for 8 weeks. I cut myself, and had no bleeding issues, and my bp stayed in normal range. I believe it did contribute to a positive change in body comp as well
good stuff. :thumbsup:

so, how much does he charge for a year? that kind of monitoring/testing/hands on guidance has to be off the chain expensive.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
depending on specific details, the lowest i've ever heard anyone quoted was $18,000 a year, and i've heard as high as $24,000.....

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dayyummmm. :bigeyes:
I think I'll just continue to read his articles. :D

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I have never seen any effects from fish oil even at doses up to 10grams a day but I still take 3 grams a day just because. I often wonder if I'd ever notice any effects at higher levels.

marmadogg

Awards
I make sure to take in 15g+ of EPA/DHA a day which is following Poliquin's protocol.

I have noticed better recovery from training and reduced DOMS but that is it.

I have not put on the size Chuck talks about but then again I do not take the anabolics his athletes take either.

Trust me...this is because his athletes are on gear.

Last edited:
snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Trust me...this is because his athletes are on gear.
I am not attributing my development solely to Poliquin-esque principles by any means; I have many of my own opinions/schematics/supplements that I incorporate, but I do utilize hi-dosing of FO and BCAA/EAA's, and I do acknowledge that this is very definitively a component of my approach to natural success..

out of curiosity marma: if I were a Poliquin athlete, would you say I, too, were doing gear? :think: