At least 30g of Fish Oil daily?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

At least 30g of Fish Oil daily?

The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass
    by Charles Poliquin
    In many seminars, I always get asked which supplements are best to gain mass. My answers will surprise many of you.

Here they are:

1. Fish Oil

What? Fish oil? That is not cool, avant-garde, sexy, or exotic. Fish oil?

Yes. Fish oil. You cannot be anabolic without enough Omega 3s. For example, I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day. If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.

Additional reasons for using fish oil include:

It reduces inflammation.
    It improves insulin sensitivity: makes glucose and amino acids get better in your starved muscle cells.
    Taking fish oil in a liquid form is the most economical way of doing it. But taking them every meal works best. I always recommend a combination of liquid and capsules - Liquid for home meals, and capsules for away from home meals.

Just interested to hear some opinions on this.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Ha 45 grams, that's a lot
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.

I've heard of fish oil super loading. Never tried it myself though. The idea that fish oil helps promote an anabolic state seems plausible. However, I am very skeptical that the NFL draft pick the OP refers to gains 29 lbs. of lean muscle in one month! Thats a lb. a day of lean mass!!!! I wish.
    Back.... for real this time
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Haha april fools! Sounds like fish oil is much stronger than AAS...AND healthy!
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

OMG 30G!!!! You could bleed to death, from a nose bleed.

Fish oil is a hella blood thinner.
  6. Advanced Member

What if I mainline 1 liter of fish oil per day? Will I see huge gains in mass and strength?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

I agree the whole thing seems real sketchy, just though it was interesting.
  8. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmore View Post
    I agree the whole thing seems real sketchy, just though it was interesting.
    I was just kidding man; I don't know about that high of a dosage but I definately feel like it helps.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey851 View Post
    I was just kidding man; I don't know about that high of a dosage but I definately feel like it helps.
    No worries buddy, I was just wondering because the guy who wrote that is no joke and it got me interested.
  10. Advanced Member

No worries buddy, I was just wondering because the guy who wrote that is no joke and it got me interested.
    That's true. Give it a try man and let us know how it goes.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

If he put on 29 pounds of lean mass in a month it wasn't tons of fish oil that did it, end of story.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I've taken anywhere from 20 to 30 grams daily for months at a time. I didn't experience any ill effects, nor did I gain 29 lean pounds
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Wouldnt that be like 15 to 30 average caps of fish oil and around a cup a day in liquid measure?
    I'll just bathe in it and absorb through osmosis.
    "I don't want anything. I don't want anybody. That's the worst part. When the want goes, that's bad."
    (Doug Stanhope as Eddie on Louie)
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

I'd be careful with that one. As stated above it is a major blood thinner. I was taking 15g a day for a couple weeks and started feeling really ****ty. Took my BP and it was 80/45. Stopped taking it and it came back up to 110/70 in three days. A couple doctors told me that it can cause liver damage as well. Haven't looked into that yet, but if you are using cod liver oil, the vitamin A will bcome toxic.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by danieltx13 View Post
    If he put on 29 pounds of lean mass in a month it wasn't tons of fish oil that did it, end of story.
    Agreed, I mean obviously this NFL player was working his a** off with a top notch strength and conditioning coach. I'm just wondering how big of a role it actually played.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by h22t88 View Post
    I'd be careful with that one. As stated above it is a major blood thinner. I was taking 15g a day for a couple weeks and started feeling really ****ty. Took my BP and it was 80/45. Stopped taking it and it came back up to 110/70 in three days. A couple doctors told me that it can cause liver damage as well. Haven't looked into that yet, but if you are using cod liver oil, the vitamin A will bcome toxic.
    I wonder if fish oil could be used to treat high blood pressure? I take about 1g daily but maybe i'll up it.

Agreed, I mean obviously this NFL player was working his a** off with a top notch strength and conditioning coach. I'm just wondering how big of a role it actually played.
    I don't care how hard this guy worked or how great his diet was. 29 lean lbs in one month? That might be oil but not fish oil.
  17. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by h22t88 View Post
    A couple doctors told me that it can cause liver damage as well.
    are those the same doctors who say you'll get liver damage from creatine?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I usually only take about 6-8grams a day
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    are those the same doctors who say you'll get liver damage from creatine?
    Haha..I know right? Gotta love physicians. There was a study that concluded that CLA can cause fatty liver (stage before cirrhosis) in healthy individuals under high dosage. So IDK. I highly doubt that O3's would cause that when (a lot of us) take in well over 100g of other fat a day.
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

back when nutra had 1000 caps for $26, i did it for a month. didnt really notice much. apparently it helped with mood for some too... not me
    CELTIC LABS REP
  21. New Member

The man writes articles on a website that sells supplements. That should be all you need to know about him.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Bunk. At no time in human evolution did any group of people consume 45 freakin grams of fish oils. It probably doesn't harm anything except your wallet, but c'mon...29 pounds in one month?!

I've tried it and aside from oilier skin and temporary hike in mood, it didn't do anything for my physique. It may have lowered my immune response because the year I did it, I caught every damned cold and flu bug that went around and that's not the norm for me. I'd wager it would wonders for a morbidly obese person, but that's not what this site is about.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.

29 lean lbs. in one month.... that means I could gain 360 lean lbs. in one year right? And all i need is 17 kilograms of fish oil! I'm going to be HUGE!
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.

30 grams? damn. My burps would smell like My girlfriend at that time of the month.
  25. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/2/G338

"Liver weight from fish oil-fed mice was 60% greater than that from carbohydrate-fed mice, possibly through peroxisomal proliferation."
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

I'll stick with 6 g a day...
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

I can't post links yet so I had to copy and paste from eHow.com -

Healthy Dosage
    According to IronMagazine.com, for the everyday man or woman who's not trying to build massive amounts of muscle, 1 to 2 caplets of fish oil is enough to maintain brain function and aid in heart health. Bodybuilders, on the other hand, have a larger intake because of a diet that is rich in fish containing omega-3 fatty acid. As a result, according to IronMagazine.com: "A reduction in fat mass is to be expected, as well as fat being less likely to be distributed in the abdominal area." This reduction of abdominal fat is the goal of bodybuilders so that the muscles in that area become more visible--so naturally increasing the amount of fish oil can help them achieve that goal. IronMagazine.com recommends a dosage of no more than 4g per day for anyone, so you might need more than the recommended 1 to 2 caplets depending on the EPA/DHA percentages in your fish oil (EPA/DHA are active ingredients in fish oil).
    Overdose
    You can have too much of a good thing--even something that's supposed to be healthy for you--so be wary of overdosing on fish oil. IronMagazine.com says that doses as minimal as 3.6g per day can thin the blood, which can lead to a higher probability of bleeding problems with any increase in dosage over that. Doses over 20g can lead to "increased liver and spleen weight, adverse effects on iron metabolism, and red blood cell deformities...". These possible side effects of too much fish oil are not worthwhile for a bodybuilder, or anyone.
  28. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/2/G338

"Liver weight from fish oil-fed mice was 60% greater than that from carbohydrate-fed mice, possibly through peroxisomal proliferation."
    what % of daily calories was from fish oil in that though? 30g is still under 10% of daily caloric intake for most of us, where in that example it sounds like they replaced all carb intake with fish oil which for most of us would be more like 200+g of fish oil
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I get about 6 grams a day tops.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have seen no ill effects from 10 caps a day (NP brand) and I know it has aided in keeping my BP in the normal range when before it hoovered above 130/90.
  31. New Member

Great stuff when on a low carb diet.
  32. New Member

wow that s really a super cool idea..But i ll try it out on my bro first
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Read the rest of the article as well, as there are some interesting points as well. The second point about Alkaline or being more neutral has some validity to it. the less acidic, the better the body can process and spends less time trying to get back to neutral and fighting against itself, thus making the body more anabolic.Though, this is often a nutritionist point of view to educate people to eat healthier and eat more often to lose weight or fat. Hopefully, I stated this correctly, but when I met with a nutritionist about 6 months ago, this is exactly what they said about eating and combining foods. For example, not to eat Carrots with greens, they work against each other and do not digest well together. Anyway, read the rest of the article as well, may not pertain to everyone, but was interesting.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

This is the entire article.

The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass
    by Charles Poliquin
    In many seminars, I always get asked which supplements are best to gain mass. My answers will surprise many of you.

Here they are:

1. Fish Oil

What? Fish oil? That is not cool, avant-garde, sexy, or exotic. Fish oil?

Yes. Fish oil. You cannot be anabolic without enough Omega 3s. For example, I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day. If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.

Additional reasons for using fish oil include:

It reduces inflammation.
    It improves insulin sensitivity: makes glucose and amino acids get better in your starved muscle cells.
    Taking fish oil in a liquid form is the most economical way of doing it. But taking them every meal works best. I always recommend a combination of liquid and capsules - Liquid for home meals, and capsules for away from home meals.

2. Primal Greens:

What? Ground veggies? Yes, indeed.

The more alkaline you are, the more anti-catabolic you are. Cortisol puts the body in an acidified status; Primal Greens alkalizes you and reverses that state in no time.

A Primal Green drink with 40 BCAA tablets post-workout will put you immediately in an anabolic state. Primal Greens are rapidly becoming a staple recovery in the U.K. in both football and rugby circles. Some athletes like to alternate between Primal Reds and Primal Greens to get a broader base of micro-nutrients.

3. Whey Stronger:

This product is great for the following reasons:

It is low-heat processed. All of the important proteins like immunoglobulins are not denatured. It is the same proteins you would find in organic milk.
    The milk comes from grass-fed cows. Therefore, it is rich in CLA, another well acknowledged anti-catabolic nutrient.
    It is rich in BCAAs and glutamine, important anti-catabolic factors.
    It is a better precursor for glutathione, therefore a more anti-oxidant protein.

In order to maximize the benefits of Whey Stronger, use 0.25 g per pound of bodyweight, first thing in the morning with 1 tablespoon of glutamine. Use it again, 0.25 g per pound of bodyweight, post-workout.

4. Carbohydrate Powder:

My philosophy on any nutrient is that if you want the best results, get the best stuff.

There are a lot of carb powders out there to chose from but my favorite is unflavored QuadriCarb ultra-soluble powder. It reloads glycogen the fastest.

QuadriCarb is a better choice because of it leaves the stomach faster, delivering glucose more quickly to the blood, and potentiating insulin release to a greater extent, compared to plain old malto-dextrin. It contains 4 different types of sugars with different glycemic curves that permit greater glycogen synthesis for an extended period of time.

These three metabolic attributes translate into faster muscle glycogen repletion after intense workouts (or competition), and an increased ability to drive the transport of anabolic/anti-catabolic nutrients like branched chain amino acids, creatine, and even carnitine.

Carnitine does not accumulate or "load" in muscle unless accompanied by high insulin concentrations, explaining why virtually all carnitine studies have NOT shown increases in muscle carnitine after oral or even intravenous dosing in multi-gram doses. Additionally, very recent research indicates that the exceptional potentiating effects of QuadriCarb on insulin release may switch off" muscle protein breakdown in human muscle. Together, QuadriCarb can speed recovery and muscle refueling, drive nutrient transport, and foster an environment in muscle that supports gains in lean mass, both as carbohydrate/glycogen and muscle proteins.

5. Multi-Intense:

A single nutrient deficiency can halt muscle growth altogether. After running countless Comprehensive Metabolic Profiles, it has become obvious that overcoming deficiencies has often blasted plateaus in strength and muscle mass gains.

For example, many baseball pitchers and track throwers were shown to be deficient in taurine and magnesium, because of all of their high velocity throws. Restoring those two vital nutrients brought about immediate increases in performance in the gym.

In order to maximize the benefits of this nutritional solution, take 2 tablets, 3 times a day, in the middle of meals. That regimen should cover your nutritional bases.

Every person has different nutritional needs, but the above five are the best for everyone based on my experience. Use all of the above on a daily basis and you will have the foundation you need to achieve your goals.
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fsupat View Post
    The man writes articles on a website that sells supplements. That should be all you need to know about him.
    You are talking about Charles Poliquin...he holds merit in many areas. This is not just "some guy" who writes articles on a supplement board.

However, this has been discussed beyond pathetic belief over the past two years....there is VERY little, if ANY, truth to this claim...

I believe the player was also noted to have a little "help" while he was taking the fish oils...

I also want to say that it was David Boston, but my memory fails me. David was on more than fish oils, BELIEVE ME! 220 lb WR his first 3 years into a 289lb WR in the matter of 14 months? yeah, ok....it was all just fish oils.

It may not have been Boston, but I think that is who it was.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    You are talking about Charles Poliquin...he holds merit in many areas. This is not just "some guy" who writes articles on a supplement board.

However, this has been discussed beyond pathetic belief over the past two years....there is VERY little, if ANY, truth to this claim...

I believe the player was also noted to have a little "help" while he was taking the fish oils...

I also want to say that it was David Boston, but my memory fails me. David was on more than fish oils, BELIEVE ME! 220 lb WR his first 3 years into a 289lb WR in the matter of 14 months? yeah, ok....it was all just fish oils.

It may not have been Boston, but I think that is who it was.
    David Boston would make sense, he failed a test for GHB and then went to play in the CFL, then got injured in 2008 and hasn't played football since.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

WELL all in all ladies and gentleman i do think that this article is more out a statement for lifestyle. There are extreme's in every case and we have to look at this one as a particular extreme for FISH OIL! hahah. . . other than that lil blurb i like the article with greens and reds
    Your Competitive Advantage
    Lift Smart, Lift Hard, Lift For a Lifetime
  38. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

EasyEJ, couple nice posts..saw some other good points thruout this thread (hardknock, yeah the dude in question had some other things going on other than fish oil - don't think that was part of Charles' Rx tho!), but overall a lot of short-sidedness here.
    Poliquin is a serious guru. yes, he does try to sell his own line -- that has been developed with his own nutritional philosophy in mind. that doesn't mean his supplements are of poor quality or that he doesn't know what he's talking about. I think the dude is brilliant.
    I have dosed 30g fish oil before, with only positive effects. this was en route to a bb'ing show, where it made up roughly 2/3 of my 45-50g alotted fat intake daily..definitely had a positive impact on growth and body comp. in fact, truth be told, that timeframe is probably the biggest musculature I have had in my life. these days, depending on diet, the most I consume is 15g daily.
    another thing -- I saw a mention of 'standard' fish oil caps..as usual, sourcing w/ your omega3's is everything. there is a lot of poor quality fish oil out there; and the 'standard' fish oil cap only contains 300mg of EPA/DHA per cap. the best way to go when ingesting this amount is actual liquid oil, not caps; if you do caps, you want to go with one that contains 1g per cap (GNC's Triple-Strength is 900mg per cap, and top-notch quality as well..no fishy burps w/ this stuff)..otherwise, using a standard 300mg dosing, you would have to consume @50 caps daily to get 15g!!
    Poliquin also recommends hi-dosing BCAA's surrounding/intra workout for serious growth, upwards of 30g depending on bodyweight..I have seen excellent results with this tactic as well. what you guys have to realize is, this is hard-core recommendation for the natural athlete if you want to play on a level of the guys who are not natty..I would suggest you try these two shematics, combined with a solid diet, and see where your results go.
    hi-dosing of omega3's will remain a staple in my regime for life.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Fish oil makes me lethargic beyond 10 grams a day...maybe if someone came out with a super concentrated version giving same results while taking less...?
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  215 lbs.

what about fish oils effect on natural test levels? I read before that high amounts of fish oil lowers natural production of test.

Similar Forum Threads

1. controlled labs new fish oil and fish burps big time
    By benjiman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
  3. how much fish oil, do u take daily?
    By Brolic in forum Bulking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
  4. how much fish oil do you need daily??
    By BIGGUNZ401 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM
  5. Daily Fun!
    By Rhinoman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 12:31 AM