Sprinter looking for help!

weaverz0ne

Awards
Hey guys,

I am a freshman sprinting at a college (D3) and I am interested in adding supplements to my workout routine.

My school only has one coach and he was busy with cross-country so I contacted my speed coach from back home and received workouts revolving around working my quads, core, back, shoulders, and arms (primarily triceps) some of which include a cardio aspect (circuits). I do these Mon-Wed-Fri and do legwork (sprints, hills, light endurance) on Tues-Thurs.

My times from senior year:

100: 11.2
200: 22.6
400: 52.00 (ran once at the beginning of season; no training prior to race)

I am 5'9" (nearly 19 so I'm not expecting to grow much) and weigh 135 lbs.

Prior to this I had not lifted and done minimal running during the off-season, and during the season I did minimal lifting.

As you can see I'm a pretty skinny guy and have plenty of room to put muscle on to help with power (at least in my upper body). I hope this will be able to increase my power off the blocks and allow me to maintain my form at the end of the race.

Anyway, I (think!) I am mainly interested in supplements to help with recovery and that build lean muscle. Aesthetics are not an issue, I am purely concerned with performance.

Pills and powders only please!

I've used the search function and the words that seem to jump out the most were: Drive, RPM, IGF-2, NeoVar, Cordygen5, Beta-Alinine.

One of the more popular stacks was one involving ALL of the Applied Neutriceutical products, so I wasn't sure if that was just a good line of products or a rep pushing them, or if they would be effective in someone as new as me.

Most of them seem to recommend at least Drive/RPM and, if you wanted, NeoVar.

I'm not sure if this stack is dated or not, or if there was a popular new stack on the market, so I thought I'd ask some people who knew what they were talking about!

Thanks in advance, and if you need any more information I'll try to supply it.

-weaverz0ne

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just did this yesterday.

Cre02/RPM or MAN Clout/citrulline.

scrappydog

Awards
I do some sprinting in workouts for BJJ. My 'athlete' stack is:
Beta Alanine, Cordygen and citrulline malate.
Caffeine or any of the caffeine based stimulants but not every workout. I try to keep caffeine to 2-3 times a week.
I also use biotests powerdrive especially when I don't take caffeine and I like it. Also just got their new Alpha GPC product but haven't used it much. Has some promise for sprinting though.

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
creatine for augmented rate of ATP re-synthesis, beta alanine for lactic acid buffering, protien (for obvious reasons), arginine + ornithine for increase in release of GH, BCAA's for lean protein synthesis and recovery. Free form leucine is great as it will cause a temporary spike in insulin levels. Taken after a workout with protein is a good idea because the insulin spike will do wonders for the nutrient partitioning.

Edit: all of these can be found in pill or powder form as you requested.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
creatine for augmented rate of ATP re-synthesis, beta alanine for lactic acid buffering, protien (for obvious reasons), arginine + ornithine for increase in release of GH, BCAA's for lean protein synthesis and recovery. Free form leucine is great as it will cause a temporary spike in insulin levels. Taken after a workout with protein is a good idea because the insulin spike will do wonders for the nutrient partitioning.

Edit: all of these can be found in pill or powder form as you requested.
I ran track for years- mainly 60m and 100m- these are pretty good recs- I really, really like L-carnitine and ALCAR- the effects are too numerous to list, and it is really cheap. Bromelain, GTE, and BCAA (together if you want, or choose 1 or 2) are great for alleviating the soreness from conditioning wkts. in the fall before indoor starts they suck hard- it puts you in a whole different level of shape. Protein and creatine are good for recovery, and I like L-Dopa better than arginine for increasing GH- you have to take far less. Caffeine pre-practice is good, and make sure to drink something with carbs/protein during the longer workouts to speed recovery- it really helps......

weaverz0ne

Awards
I think I might go the Cre02/RPM route.

Would it be beneficial if I added whey that included GTE and BCAAs like Max's Muscle Growth GTE?

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
I ran track for years- mainly 60m and 100m- these are pretty good recs- I really, really like L-carnitine and ALCAR- the effects are too numerous to list, and it is really cheap. Bromelain, GTE, and BCAA (together if you want, or choose 1 or 2) are great for alleviating the soreness from conditioning wkts. in the fall before indoor starts they suck hard- it puts you in a whole different level of shape. Protein and creatine are good for recovery, and I like L-Dopa better than arginine for increasing GH- you have to take far less. Caffeine pre-practice is good, and make sure to drink something with carbs/protein during the longer workouts to speed recovery- it really helps......
I agree that L-dopa is more effective than arginine and ornithine for growth hormone release, however it comes with more risks too. Hell, I'm taking PowerFULL right now which uses velvet bean for L-dopa. Just was taking him a different route. The arginine would also help with blood vessel health and tone (NO synthesis). I didn't run track, but I did play water polo 4 hours a day / 5 days a week in college. This is what worked for me. Both are totally valid options (I agree about the carnitine - if possible go with the Aceytl-L form, more effective in every way over basic L form carnitine).