GABA get you shredded!

• Thread starter nevergoodenough
  • Start date
nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thought I'd share my thoughts here for people that haven't used GABA, or haven't used it in a while. Just started back up about a week ago, and I kid you not I have dropped at least a percent of body fat in less than a week. Didn't change anything in my diet or training (both completely on point) just started taking 3g about 30 minutes before bed. I work my way up to 5g over a few weeks. I stay fairly lean year round because I'm a fighter (9% bf or so) but have a very tough time getting down to 6-7%, and get stuck for weeks at a time, and that is where GABA has come in huge. Even after just a few days of taking it I notice big changes in arm/shoulder definition and abs tightening up. On top of the aesthetic results, I also sleep better and have crazy vivid dreams. So if you've hit a nasty plateau and are looking for something to give you a boost without cramming more stims down your throat, give it a shot. You can get the stuff in bulk for dirt cheap at NP. I'm sure there are others out there that will chime in with successes as well.

Just a warning for people who aren't familiar with it, start with a small dose! Then slowly work your way up. They say the optimal dose for GH release is 5g, but if you jump in right at 5 grams you will probably think you need to go to the ER. It will make your heart beat rapidly, you will get short of breath and will feel very tingly. At the right dose you will still experience the effects but they will be much less severe and will only last a few minutes. It also needs to be taken on an empty stomach so it doesn't have to compete with other amino acids, I usually wait about 1-1.5 hours after my last meal before taking it.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
man, i used to love that stuff. it makes me so calm and peaceful. do u have a link to that study? its so cheap too, i just havnt used it in forever. it leaves a strange taste in my mouth after drinking it.

YajV24

Banned
Awards
Increase of over 5mg/ml in blood plasma growth hormone levels 90 min after 5g oral administration?
It just makes me feel weird. all flushed and anxious. When i found it doesnt cross the BBB, i dropped it. Was using a 50/50 blend with phenibut at the time.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
man, i used to love that stuff. it makes me so calm and peaceful. do u have a link to that study? its so cheap too, i just havnt used it in forever. it leaves a strange taste in my mouth after drinking it.
It's in high concentration in the hypothalamus, so it plays a significant role in hypothalamic-pituitary function. The pituitary gland is the master endocrine gland affecting all hormonal functions of the body including Growth Hormone.

A study from the First Medical Clinic at the University of Milan in Milan, Italy showed "In all of the 19 subjects studied, compared with 18 controls, plasma growth hormone levels were significantly increased (above 5 mg/ml) by acute oral administration of 5 g of GABA "

The hypothalamus is a region of the posterior section of the brain and is the regulating center for visceral (instinctive) Functions such as sleep cycles, body temperature, and the activity of the pituitary gland.

There have been literally hundreds of clinical studies on GABA and numerous studies on GABA's ability to elevate growth hormone levels.

This study showed over a 550% increase in plasma growth hormone levels 90 minutes after GABA administration. That is a significant increase unmatched by any other nutritional means.

Last edited:
nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It just makes me feel weird. all flushed and anxious. When i found it doesnt cross the BBB, i dropped it. Was using a 50/50 blend with phenibut at the time.
I've read conflicting reports on Gaba crossing the BBB (blood brain barrier for anyone who doesn't know what BBB is) from what I've understood it is unknown at this time. I'm sure it probably doesn't work for everyone, a lot of people get great results from creatine and it has never worked for me. I took too much Gaba a few different times when I was taking pills that had B6 in them and I felt horrible. I don't necessarily notice a lot of calming from it when dosed right, for me it just kind of slows my brain down keeping me from over active thinking which helps me chill out and fall asleep faster.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i remember the first time i took too much. i honestly thought i was gona pass out from breathing so fast like i couldnt get enough oxygen. luckily it lasts only a minute or 2. then my legs get really numb and i feel like i couldnt even touch a weight cuz my body is just so relaxed... then zzzz

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
Thought I'd share my thoughts here for people that haven't used GABA, or haven't used it in a while. Just started back up about a week ago, and I kid you not I have dropped at least a percent of body fat in less than a week. Didn't change anything in my diet or training (both completely on point) just started taking 3g about 30 minutes before bed. I work my way up to 5g over a few weeks. I stay fairly lean year round because I'm a fighter (9% bf or so) but have a very tough time getting down to 6-7%, and get stuck for weeks at a time, and that is where GABA has come in huge. Even after just a few days of taking it I notice big changes in arm/shoulder definition and abs tightening up. On top of the aesthetic results, I also sleep better and have crazy vivid dreams. So if you've hit a nasty plateau and are looking for something to give you a boost without cramming more stims down your throat, give it a shot. You can get the stuff in bulk for dirt cheap at NP. I'm sure there are others out there that will chime in with successes as well.

Just a warning for people who aren't familiar with it, start with a small dose! Then slowly work your way up. They say the optimal dose for GH release is 5g, but if you jump in right at 5 grams you will probably think you need to go to the ER. It will make your heart beat rapidly, you will get short of breath and will feel very tingly. At the right dose you will still experience the effects but they will be much less severe and will only last a few minutes. It also needs to be taken on an empty stomach so it doesn't have to compete with other amino acids, I usually wait about 1-1.5 hours after my last meal before taking it.
i tried megadosing gaba and tyrosine for 2 weeks... and lost ALOT of water and around 2 percent bodyfat... it was awesome but i sweated and felt out of it all the time...

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
i remember the first time i took too much. i honestly thought i was gona pass out from breathing so fast like i couldnt get enough oxygen. luckily it lasts only a minute or 2. then my legs get really numb and i feel like i couldnt even touch a weight cuz my body is just so relaxed... then zzzz
I had the same thing, heavy breathing and my body tingled too, but it went away

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
GABA is hands down one of my favorite all time supps.
I get great sleep. Feel pumped and full for a good portion of the day. Lean out a bit, with a tweak in the diet and stay strong.
I know for me GH is released because i have a bit of peptide experience and felt the same effects from both. Not to the same extent but still can tell something is coming of it. And if nothing else, a little sleep help is always worth it.

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
Took 5gram for almost 2 months with a week or 2 break in between the 2 months of dosing...As far as I recall it did nothing noticable for fat loss. I did get some tingling/flushin type of sensation for a little while and feel warm, deep peaceful sleep. But nothing as far as Fatloss.

zb126

Awards
  • Established
hmm well I have noticed that some of the night oriented supplements including the night version of fat loss ones such as Reduction PM contain GABA

I'd guess part of the reason they include it is synergistic effects and the other part is the sleep because if you are doing everything else right but not sleeping well then you aren't going to get the results you want, right? In addition there is some thought that it may increase HGH which could also be beneficial towards certain goals...Maybe that is part of the reason the OP noticed fatloss, just a thought

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
hmm well I have noticed that some of the night oriented supplements including the night version of fat loss ones such as Reduction PM contain GABA

I'd guess part of the reason they include it is synergistic effects and the other part is the sleep because if you are doing everything else right but not sleeping well then you aren't going to get the results you want, right? In addition there is some thought that it may increase HGH which could also be beneficial towards certain goals...Maybe that is part of the reason the OP noticed fatloss, just a thought
Thast exactly why. Its not GABA itself but the increase in GH release. I am not sure the iu increase but like i said, it feel sgreat for me and if its not GH release whatever it is is worth it.:cheers:

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I've read conflicting reports on Gaba crossing the BBB (blood brain barrier for anyone who doesn't know what BBB is) from what I've understood it is unknown at this time.
This. The jury is still out on how effectively, if at all, GABA is at crossing the blood-brain barrier; which is why analogues and GAGAergics are so numerous. I've gone through a few bottles and while it definitely helped with relaxing my body, I've never experienced any mental effects to the same degree.

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
GABA definitely helps with sleep, I would never take it pre-workout like some formulas have but pre bed it's a good supplement.

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea if it works with BBB or GH but I do know it helps me sleep and relax a noticable amount even in dose of 2g. It also makes a noticable difference to my dreams, so it must be doing something. I never noticed leaning out on it but i was also only taking 2-3g

zb126

Awards
  • Established
seems like a lot still compared to the amount in PM supplements still....maybe some people like the OP luck out hehe

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
get some GABOB its much better for gh release. its a little bit more expensive but works alot better

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Increase of over 5mg/ml in blood plasma growth hormone levels 90 min after 5g oral administration?
5 grams in the study you are referring to raises gh 5.5 times for only 30 minutes ! its on pubmed I believe it has been out for years

GABA definitely helps with sleep, I would never take it pre-workout like some formulas have but pre bed it's a good supplement.
I tried it pre workout back a few times in 2005 , not fun, tired yawning..

I have no idea if it works with BBB or GH but I do know it helps me sleep and relax a noticable amount even in dose of 2g. It also makes a noticable difference to my dreams, so it must be doing something. I never noticed leaning out on it but i was also only taking 2-3g
no gaba does not cross the brain blood barrier

I used it for a few years every night from 22 untill about 24-25. I liked to think it helped with fat loss, very mildly. that is how I know all this information I studied it before using it ..and I still remember it after 5 years

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I tried it PreWO...ugh...so hard to get into it. I felt weak.
Now post WO...WOOO!! i love GABA post. I took it in my BCAAs or whatever recovery drink i had at the time, go home, pop some l-Dopa and melatonin and take about 2 hour nap and i shyt you not i had some of the best gains during that time as far as shaping and strength goes. Now i cant say it was all that cause i was running kre-alk and a preWO booster but i think it had a great impact.
I never went under 2g and over 7g. One night i got 7g down in a period of about 30min, the "rush" would be to much at once i think and i was out and in the morn. i could hardly drag myself outta bed, in a good way!

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
gabob is the closest legal chemical to ghb if that answers ur question

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
GABOB behaves completely differently to GHB however. GABOB is an anticonvulsant.

GABA stuff is really weird because slight differences between GABA like molecules produce massive different effects.

Phenibut is a GABA agonist ... I recently found out (I thought it was an antagonist). A similar compound script - is used as an anti-spasm drug (anti-spasmotic... [?] I can't quite place the exact word). I forget the drug off-hand but the pharma. company thought they'd get an anticonvulsant.

GABOB is big on GH release

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
no gaba does not cross the brain blood barrier
Its weird yeah? GABA produces effects very similar to an increase in GABA in the brain. If you dosed theanine that would increase GABA and yet the relaxation feels very similar.

What I think is the a small amount of GABA gets through. You only need a bit for it to have effect. Maybe a small amount is modified GABA and thats the stuff that gets through. GHB goes straight through and can be dangerous (although GHB fans will flame me for that statement). Wonder what the toxic levels of GABA would be, something unrealistic like 0.5kg.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
GABOB behaves completely differently to GHB however. GABOB is an anticonvulsant.

GABA stuff is really weird because slight differences between GABA like molecules produce massive different effects.

Phenibut is a GABA agonist ... I recently found out (I thought it was an antagonist). A similar compound script - is used as an anti-spasm drug (anti-spasmotic... [?] I can't quite place the exact word). I forget the drug off-hand but the pharma. company thought they'd get an anticonvulsant.

GABOB is big on GH release
GABOB is legal so I don't think its against the rules.. But NP doesn't have GABOB and no other supplement sites I have seen have it either. Where have others gotten it from in the past?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing knocks me out like 5g of GABA!

Ive tried half the sleep aids on NP, and seriously 5g of GABA and BAM! Im asleep!

:D

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
GABOB is legal so I don't think its against the rules.. But NP doesn't have GABOB and no other supplement sites I have seen have it either. Where have others gotten it from in the past?
Its easy to track down but since they are not a board sponsor I don't think a link can be supplied. It is OTC but OTC supplies are surprisingly few. It is also a prescription drug so it could be that everyone thinks the FDA will ban it from OTC sales.

Antigravity

Antigravity

Awards
Its easy to track down but since they are not a board sponsor I don't think a link can be supplied. It is OTC but OTC supplies are surprisingly few. It is also a prescription drug so it could be that everyone thinks the FDA will ban it from OTC sales.
GABOB is not prescription.

But I agree it is super rare. Ohhhhh.... I'd love it if NP carried GABOB, or at least made friends with the implied company.

X-dream contains 3-oh-GABA
3-oh-GABA is another name for GABOB.
Alri's comatose has some in their product Comatose
Gamma-Amino-Beta-Hydroxybutyric Acid is also another name for GABOB.

GABOB doesnt induce either the side effects of GABA or Phenibut.

Best,

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i cant wait to try this for summer lean! its cheap too!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
white flood is the only pre workout i know that contains gaba. what's weird is many people don't seem to respond very well to it, while others like me love the stuff. i read a log where the logger was up to 5 scoops with hardly any effect- if i took 5 scoops of wf i would be flying with no plane.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
So in summary it looks like GABA is a sleep aid and nothing more. No shredding? No enhanced mood? It's a sleeping pill, am I right?

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
So in summary it looks like GABA is a sleep aid and nothing more. No shredding? No enhanced mood? It's a sleeping pill, am I right?
not only does it serve as a sleep aid it will also help boost your growth hormone taken before a work out

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Is this a Theory or a scientific fact with proven results? Anyone here can state 100% they have grown ang shedded body fat soley from getting better sleep with this. In other words, Anyone gain 10-20 lbs and shed 1-3% of body fat like they did with real GH?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is this a Theory or a scientific fact with proven results? Anyone here can state 100% they have grown ang shedded body fat soley from getting better sleep with this. In other words, Anyone gain 10-20 lbs and shed 1-3% of body fat like they did with real GH?
i doubt very much that many have used real injectable gh to compare it to. but as cheap as gaba is it is definitely worthwhile to at least try it. even if you don't gain a ton of muscle or lose 50 pounds, the documented health benefits make it a bargain supplement. btw-don't underestimate the value of a good night sleep.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i doubt very much that many have used real injectable gh to compare it to. but as cheap as gaba is it is definitely worthwhile to at least try it. even if you don't gain a ton of muscle or lose 50 pounds, the documented health benefits make it a bargain supplement. btw-don't underestimate the value of a good night sleep.
Very good point t. As I explained I have experienced tremendous fat loss results, haven't noticed gaining a whole lot of new muscle, but while I was losing fat quickly I did not lose any mass I already had. I am sure everyone responds differently, just like if two different people take the same prohormone, we would not net the same results, and there is way less scientific data on those compounds. So honestly, like bigt said, what do you have to lose by giving it a shot?

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Very good point t. As I explained I have experienced tremendous fat loss results, haven't noticed gaining a whole lot of new muscle, but while I was losing fat quickly I did not lose any mass I already had. I am sure everyone responds differently, just like if two different people take the same prohormone, we would not net the same results, and there is way less scientific data on those compounds. So honestly, like bigt said, what do you have to lose by giving it a shot?
You've even said....after few days after using you notice big changes in arm, shoulder and ab definition! GH hormone users would marvel at that as it takes many weeks/months for results. Placebo maybe?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
is 1 carboxy better at releasing GH? cause thats what i just bought.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Well I would assume that if this stuff works, the GH release is probably smaller than the amount a person would inject. Actually I would hope so. I used it for a month when I was 23(I do think it helped with sleep). Now I'm 24, and I hate the idea that I may have had baseball player GH evels for a month.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You've even said....after few days after using you notice big changes in arm, shoulder and ab definition! GH hormone users would marvel at that as it takes many weeks/months for results. Placebo maybe?
Yes I did say that, but you have to take all I said into account not just bits. When you are lean to start off with every little bit of fat lost is very noticable. Personally If I were to go from say 15 to 13%bf, I would notice a little change in my overall physique, but if I go from 9 to 7% the results are very noticable to me. And that is all I have claimed to happen. I had been stalled out at 9% for a while and after about a week taking GABA I lost around 2lbs of fat, which really leaned out my arms and and got rid of some of that stubborn lower ab fat. This experience has happened to me 3 or 4 times with GABA, it was not just a single incident. I take it for 4-6 weeks, when the effects wear off or I run out I take a while off, and when I need it again I start back up.

spartan300

Awards
i dont like the the idea of messing around my basal ganglia

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Yes I did say that, but you have to take all I said into account not just bits. When you are lean to start off with every little bit of fat lost is very noticable. Personally If I were to go from say 15 to 13%bf, I would notice a little change in my overall physique, but if I go from 9 to 7% the results are very noticable to me. And that is all I have claimed to happen. I had been stalled out at 9% for a while and after about a week taking GABA I lost around 2lbs of fat, which really leaned out my arms and and got rid of some of that stubborn lower ab fat. This experience has happened to me 3 or 4 times with GABA, it was not just a single incident. I take it for 4-6 weeks, when the effects wear off or I run out I take a while off, and when I need it again I start back up.
Dude! Those bodyfat numbers are sickly low (jk). You must look shredded!

spartan300

Awards
Is there something that Gaba users should be concerned about? Please share.
i dont have time to go into extreme detail for i am studying for my neuroanatomy finals...i might post something in the future like in a couple weeks if you want to know the pathways...

basically, your basal ganglia is in control of your extra pyramidal system, which is basically unconscious motor control (which is in control of your muscles a MAJORITY of the time vs your voluntary motor control). basal ganglia has two basic pathways (indirect and direct) and each part is either inhibitory or excitatory which would have a final effect on your cerebral cortex, which will effect your muscles....gaba is one of the major neurotransmitters in the basal ganglia...i believe dopamine is also a major neurotransmitter as well. your basically inhibiting or exciting the cerebral cortex in the end thru these neurotransmitters....different diseases arise from the offset of this pathway like parkinsons and such where unconscious motor control is compromised...leads to resting tremors or inability to accomplish or initiate movements and such...

i just dont like the idea of using both ldopa and gaba....basal ganglia is too precious to me to want to toy around with. its kinda scarry when you learn and think about the diseases of these pathways...