New to the whole supplement thing.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
Some background info.
I'm 20 years old, a 100 meters guy, next year i'll be attending UNF to run track (finally part of a team and not an independent training myself) i enjoy lifting (been doing it consistantly 4 days a week for 5 months now.) my first a&f shoot is nov 23rd. okay now to the question. oh and i've never taken any supplements except vitamins, whey protein, and fish oil.

I've been lookin around at supplements and product lines from companies like muscletech, muscle pharm, and well they all look like great products (thanks to great marketing.) is it beneficial from a performance stand point (on the track that is) to take any of these let alone a few different supplement or should i just stick to whey and vitamins?

thanks in advance.

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
well, for sprinting you need speed
so something with caffeine and beta alanine will work well for you
you can buy beta alanine and 1,3-dimethylamylamine alone in bulk at nutraplanet
or can go with almost any preworkout product jack3d, white flood, no explode

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
yeah thats a good choice for you. it has plenty of good ingredients.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how caffeine is beneficial in this instance. I would think vasodilation would be desired over vasoconstriction. But I agree with the Beta-Alanine being of use. Maybe a cordyceps product as well? Cordygen and Cre-02 are both good supps, with Cre-02 getting amazing reviews from just about everyone. It's creatine and cordyceps w/ a few other adaptogens and whatnot.

Also Primordial Performance has a new product coming out called "PreMax" that looks great. No stims with some really great ingredients.

Dex may be right about caffeine, but I just don't like using it (or see a point in using it) before any highly taxing cardiovascular event/activity.

Actually for track, PreMax and Cre-02 sounds like an absolutely sickening combo. PreMax should be out soon I believe, personally that's what I would use.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I don't see how caffeine is beneficial in this instance. I would think vasodilation would be desired over vasoconstriction. But I agree with the Beta-Alanine being of use. Maybe a cordyceps product as well? Cordygen and Cre-02 are both good supps, with Cre-02 getting amazing reviews from just about everyone. It's creatine and cordyceps w/ a few other adaptogens and whatnot.

Also Primordial Performance has a new product coming out called "PreMax" that looks great. No stims with some really great ingredients.

Dex may be right about caffeine, but I just don't like using it (or see a point in using it) before any highly taxing cardiovascular event/activity.

Actually for track, PreMax and Cre-02 sounds like an absolutely sickening combo. PreMax should be out soon I believe, personally that's what I would use.
Now it sounds like i'm gonna be taking stuff for more energy and thus more intense, longer training, i like the sound of that i enjoy high intensity sprint training.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Now it sounds like i'm gonna be taking stuff for more energy and thus more intense, longer training, i like the sound of that i enjoy high intensity sprint training.
I'm not a track a field guy, so take what you want out of what I say. But I would say your main goals would be recovery, increased power (spring training), and improved endurance. That sounds like Cre-02 and PreMax ALL THE WAY. These two products would stack very well, IMO, for the aforementioned goals.

I'm not a stim-junkie by any means, so I try to stay away from them when I can (not ALL the time though LOL). I certainly don't take them before my cardio sessions. That's just personal preference and a health concern of mine.

What exact events will you be competing?

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Premax also has electrolytes and a great carbohydrate blend to keep you going. If you couldn't tell already I CAN'T WAIT to try that product.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I'm not a track a field guy, so take what you want out of what I say. But I would say your main goals would be recovery, increased power (spring training), and improved endurance. That sounds like Cre-02 and PreMax ALL THE WAY. These two products would stack very well, IMO, for the aforementioned goals.

I'm not a stim-junkie by any means, so I try to stay away from them when I can (not ALL the time though LOL). I certainly don't take them before my cardio sessions. That's just personal preference and a health concern of mine.

I'll be competing in the 100 meters. Right now in pre-season (first meet is in march) i'm working on my first 20 meters, my start, come January i start my conditioning (running not miles but fast 200,300, and 400's).

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I would say the Cre-02 and PreMax would treat you VERY WELL. Of course stick with your vitamins, EFA's and Whey. You might want to look into a good antioxidant as well.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I would say the Cre-02 and PreMax would treat you VERY WELL. Of course stick with your vitamins, EFA's and Whey. You might want to look into a good antioxidant as well.
I do whole food multis, the whey i'm taking now is Elite Whey by Dymatize, one of the best tasting i've had, not sure what an EFA is and steer me into the right direction with antioxidants (like a product you'd recommend).

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I do whole food multis, the whey i'm taking now is Elite Whey by Dymatize, one of the best tasting i've had, not sure what an EFA is and steer me into the right direction with antioxidants (like a product you'd recommend).
EFA is Essential Fatty Acid - pretty much the reason your'e taking the fish oil LOL. As I'm sure you've heard, they provide a myriad of health benefits. These are extremely important.

As for anti-oxidants there a many. Two good products are Noxidant by RPN and Bio-Mend by Applied Nutriceuticals. Those both are more of an "All-in-one" type anti-ox supplement. Another good all in one is "Super Antioxidants" by NOW.

You can also look into Green tea extract, Resveratrol (although I suggest you do more research on this one to find a good delivery/transport system, as it's poorly absorbed in the gut), R-ALA (r-isomer Alpha-lipoic acid), garlic or garlic extract, Vitamin E complex (a good one for this is Toco-8 by Primordial Performance), and "Greens" supplements. Greens supplements usually provide you with all the "good stuff" of about 5 servings of fruits and veggies. I find them beneficial but a tad pricey (HST Greens is a good one that isn't very expensive). Although you can't beat the nutrients you get from whole foods, so if you do decide to get a greens supplement, please don't think that this should replace your daily fruits and veggies in your diet.

Just to keep it all simple for you, and since you're in college I'm just going to assume you're poor (sorry, LOL), you might want to just go with Noxidant, Bio-Mend, or Super Antioxidants. That is if you have the extra $$$, if not I wouldn't worry about it. Have a strong diet and you'll be alright.

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
:D yeah yeah listen to that guy and his oil and antioxidants
but you should consider picking up beta alanine caps or bulk powder
he even agreed it would useful
and of course this is all useless without a proper diet

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd like into Ultra Cordygen V02 its great for endurance and cardio activities i use it when i train i do Muay Thai helps give you the little extra i notice. Maybe also look into some BCAA's something like Xtend by Scivation to sip through the day and intra work out.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I would try this stack out right here. The PreMax sound AWESOME and is stimulant free so your adrenals will stay perfectly healthy :D. And did you say you were a model? I have been modeling for a few years now with a top-model agency and it is the shiz to get paid to show off! :thumbsup:

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
nomoredex - I agree BA would be useful, you could find it for a decent price too.

Prep - I don't disagree that Cordygen would be in anway a bad choice for him, but with Cre-02 you get the cordyceps, adaptogens, and multiple types of Creatines. He is trying to increase his explosive power (being a sprinter) along with his endurance.

BCAA's would also be of use for improved recovery. I recommended to him PP's soon to be released product PreMax because it has, I think, 12g of Peptopro Protein - is very quickly absorbed and put to good use. BCAA's could be good for post-workout and during the day though as stated above.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Some background info.
I'm 20 years old, a 100 meters guy, next year i'll be attending UNF to run track (finally part of a team and not an independent training myself) i enjoy lifting (been doing it consistantly 4 days a week for 5 months now.) my first a&f shoot is nov 23rd. okay now to the question. oh and i've never taken any supplements except vitamins, whey protein, and fish oil.

I've been lookin around at supplements and product lines from companies like muscletech, muscle pharm, and well they all look like great products (thanks to great marketing.) is it beneficial from a performance stand point (on the track that is) to take any of these let alone a few different supplement or should i just stick to whey and vitamins?

thanks in advance.
millenium sports technologies... Look @ Cordygen5,Carnage and Citruvol... Read it live it~~~

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I would try this stack out right here. The PreMax sound AWESOME and is stimulant free so your adrenals will stay perfectly healthy :D. And did you say you were a model? I have been modeling for a few years now with a top-model agency and it is the shiz to get paid to show off! :thumbsup:
Yea i model for abercrombie and fitch so i gotta keep a slim "swimmers body" which means everytime i got a shoot i gotta carb deplete and lose a little muscle mass....

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
:D yeah yeah listen to that guy and his oil and antioxidants
but you should consider picking up beta alanine caps or bulk powder
he even agreed it would useful
and of course this is all useless without a proper diet
lol my diet is a pain in my ass, 200+ grams of protein, 250 grams of carbs 40 grams of healthy fats. i dont' touch anything fried, no snacks (i eat complex carbs from whole wheat products, my protein is from whey shakes, chicken breast (grilled with no salt added, just pepper and garlic), and orange ruffie filets, (cleanest fish i've ever eaten) the fats come from the almonds i eat, table spoon of peanut butter, and i'll put promise olive oil spread on my chicken. i spread this out usually into 5 meals if possible, if not than 4 because my schedule is always tight.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea i model for abercrombie and fitch so i gotta keep a slim "swimmers body" which means everytime i got a shoot i gotta carb deplete and lose a little muscle mass....
I just say screw the people who "tell" you what to look like lol. But I do shed water before my shoots so I understand that. However, I am far past a swimmers body :D. A & F isn't a good idea if your a solid bodybuilder but since it looks like you are naturally slim then it's all good.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I just say screw the people who "tell" you what to look like lol. But I do shed water before my shoots so I understand that. However, I am far past a swimmers body :D. A & F isn't a good idea if your a solid bodybuilder but since it looks like you are naturally slim then it's all good.
Well if they tell you what to look like and pay you at the same time, especially when your 20 and in college, you tend to listen cause that money isn't easy to come by. yea i've always had trouble gaining size, strength isn't an issue, just size.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well if they tell you what to look like and pay you at the same time, especially when your 20 and in college, you tend to listen cause that money isn't easy to come by. yea i've always had trouble gaining size, strength isn't an issue, just size.
I hear ya on the $. But being a runner and doing modeling for them almost goes hand in hand and it is dang good cash. Do you want to gain size? Because with your bodystyle it would be pretty darn simple.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
I hear ya on the $. But being a runner and doing modeling for them almost goes hand in hand and it is dang good cash. Do you want to gain size? Because with your bodystyle it would be pretty darn simple.
lol i've been told that, but if i told you what i throw around in the weight room you wouldn't believe me because i don't look big enough. putting on healthy size has been a problem for me.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol i've been told that, but if i told you what i throw around in the weight room you wouldn't believe me because i don't look big enough. putting on healthy size has been a problem for me.
It's not all about weight man :). Strength and size do not go hand in hand at all. Not even close. Training for hypertrophy will bring strength gains and training for strength will bring some mass gains but they in no way go hand in hand with one another. To gain mass you would need to eat and train as such. However, with that being said, it sounds like you need to be doing a more sport-specific training regimen instead of a bodybuilding regimen. As far as strength goes, I'm sure I wouldn't have that hard of a time believing you because I know a guy who weighs 150lbs soaking wet and can deadlift 500lbs.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
It's not all about weight man :). Strength and size do not go hand in hand at all. Not even close. Training for hypertrophy will bring strength gains and training for strength will bring some mass gains but they in no way go hand in hand with one another. To gain mass you would need to eat and train as such. However, with that being said, it sounds like you need to be doing a more sport-specific training regimen instead of a bodybuilding regimen. As far as strength goes, I'm sure I wouldn't have that hard of a time believing you because I know a guy who weighs 150lbs soaking wet and can deadlift 500lbs.
he's probably like 5'8"ish or shorter, but yea when i tell people i rep 225 for sets (12,10,10,8,8) i literally gotta bring them to the gym and show em.. idk if you saw my diet above but i do 200+ grams of protein, 250+ grams of carbs (350 when i run and lift in the same day) and 40g of healthy fats, my diet is pretty clean i mean no trans/saturated fats, sugary carbs, all my protein is from chicken breast 100% organic, orange ruffie, and Elite Whey by Dymatize. would i just up my fat intake?

my bad if this sounded a bit douche-ish it's not supposed to be***

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
he's probably like 5'8"ish or shorter, but yea when i tell people i rep 225 for sets (12,10,10,8,8) i literally gotta bring them to the gym and show em.. idk if you saw my diet above but i do 200+ grams of protein, 250+ grams of carbs (350 when i run and lift in the same day) and 40g of healthy fats, my diet is pretty clean i mean no trans/saturated fats, sugary carbs, all my protein is from chicken breast 100% organic, orange ruffie, and Elite Whey by Dymatize. would i just up my fat intake?

my bad if this sounded a bit douche-ish it's not supposed to be***
Are you talking about for gaining mass? And yes, in general you should up your fat intake :). More natty pb would be good (I love the stuff).

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And you are taking in about 2160cals on non-running days and around 2560 on training days from the looks of it which is IMHO not enough (not nearly enough for gaining mass). For gaining mass (I am a mesomorph) I take in 3000-3500 cals. And you are an ectomorph so you should be taking in somewhere at least 3500 cals for mass IMO.

SprintGuy

SprintGuy

Awards
And you are taking in about 2160cals on non-running days and around 2560 on training days from the looks of it which is IMHO not enough (not nearly enough for gaining mass). For gaining mass (I am a mesomorph) I take in 3000-3500 cals. And you are an ectomorph so you should be taking in somewhere at least 3500 cals for mass IMO.
hmmm so should i up all aspects of my diet or just protein or both protein and fat?

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hmmm so should i up all aspects of my diet or just protein or both protein and fat?
I would do a 50/30/20 (carbs, protein, fat) split. So shoot for (if 3500 cals) about 440g carbs, 265g protein, and 80g healthy fat or somewhere close to that. Here is a sample meal plan that has 375 carbs, 238 pro, and 115 fat and 3487cals (this is a great sample meal plan).

Meal 1

10each or 335g egg whites OR 5oz or 41.75g LEAN turkey breast OR 1.25c or 285g NON FAT cottage cheese
24each or 34.4g almonds OR 8tsp or 42.4g peanut\almond Butter OR 4oz or 113.4g avocado
2tbp or 18g raisins OR 6.5oz or 184g grapefruit OR 2.25oz or 64g banana
3/4c or 60g oatmeal (dry) OR 1.5slc or 99g whole grain English muffin OR 3slc or 96g whole grain toast
6oz or 170g Yoplait Light yogurt OR 8floz or 237ml NON FAT milk OR 6oz or 170g Plain NON FAT yogurt

MEAL 2

5oz or 41.75g tuna (canned in H2O) OR 5oz or 41.75g grilled halibut/tilapia OR 5oz or 41.75g grilled chicken breast
24each or 34.4g almonds OR 8tsp or 42.4g peanut\almond Butter OR 4oz or 113.4g avocado
3.25oz or 92g apple OR 3oz or 85g pear OR 3.5oz or 99g orange (peeled)
1 c or 80g oatmeal (dry) OR 8oz or 228g baked sweet potato OR 1 1/3c or 257.4g brown rice (cooked)

MEAL 3

6oz or 170.1g grilled chicken breast OR 6oz or 170.1g grilled halibut/tilapia OR 1.5cup or 342g NON FAT cottage cheese
24each or 34.4g almonds OR 8tsp or 18g Olive/Enova Oil OR 4oz or 113.4g avocado
1 c or 156g steamed broccoli OR 1 c or 125g steamed green beans OR 1 1/3c or 250g steamed spinach
1 1/3c or 257.4g brown rice (cooked) OR 8oz or 228g baked sweet potato OR 1 1/3c or 184g whole grain pasta

MEAL 4

1 2/3sc or 50g scoops whey protein OR 5oz or 41.75g grilled halibut/tilapia OR 5oz or 41.75g grilled chicken breast
40each or 37.44g peanuts OR 8tsp or 42.4g peanut/almond butter OR 4oz or 113.4g avocado
1 c or 156g steamed broccoli OR 1 c or 125g steamed green beans OR 8oz or 226g steamed asparagus
1 c or 93.05g brown rice (cooked) OR 6oz or 171g baked sweet potato OR 4.5tbp or 50.1g tbsp cream of wheat (dry)
6oz or 28.35g Yoplait Light yogurt OR 8floz or 237ml NON FAT milk OR 6oz or 170g Plain NON FAT yogurt

MEAL 5

6oz or 170.1g grilled halibut/tilapia OR 6oz or 170.1g grilled LEAN sirloin/fillet OR 6oz or 170.1g grilled chicken breast
15each or 22.5g walnut halves OR 3tsp or 13.5g Olive/Enova Oil OR 3oz or 85.05g avocado
4 1/2c or 495g chopped lettuce OR 1 1/2c or 187.5g steamed green beans OR 12oz or 339g steamed asparagus OR 3/4c or 270g chopped tomato
2/3c or 128.7g brown rice (cooked) OR 4oz or 114g baked yam OR 2/3c or 92g whole grain pasta

MEAL 6

1 2/3sc or 50g scoops whey protein OR 1 1/4c or 285g NON FAT cottage cheese OR 5oz or 41.75g grilled chicken breast
24each or 34.4g almonds OR 8tsp or 42.4g peanut/almond butter OR 4oz or 113.4g avocado
1c or 156g steamed broccoli OR 1c or 125g steamed green beans OR 8oz or 226g steamed asparagus
0.666c or 128.7g brown rice (cooked) OR 4oz or 114g baked sweet potato OR 0.5c or 40g oatmeal (dry)

CODE:
c = cup/s oz = ounces
tbp = tablespoon/s floz = fluid ounces
tsp = teaspoon/s g = grams
slc = slice/s sc = scoop/s