Natural Anxiety/Depression Supplement

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking to put together a supplement to avoid drugs like Prozac, Abilify, Lexapro.

Yes I know they cannot take the place of the drugs, but anything that may help in this are will be good. I am thinking

5-HTP
SAMe
PS (endoamp)
B-Complex
Phenibut

I am also wondering about l-dopa is this safe to take for this reason.

Also any herbs that may work.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
gym/cardio/exercise/weights...... women.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Looking to put together a supplement to avoid drugs like Prozac, Abilify, Lexapro.

Yes I know they cannot take the place of the drugs, but anything that may help in this are will be good. I am thinking

5-HTP
SAMe
PS (endoamp)
B-Complex
Phenibut

I am also wondering about l-dopa is this safe to take for this reason.

Also any herbs that may work.
get you some phenibutxt by sns, i was so relaxed and mellow on it i thought i had taken a benzo. phenibutxt is a little more expensive than bulk, but i like the idea of it being precapped so i can easily monitor dosages. be careful and only take this as needed, even though it is otc phenibut is very powerful and tolerance can build quickly just like with benzo's.

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good answer, too bad it is for my wife, alot of the other don't apply. Plus the stuff she is on is making her gain alot of weight, not good.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
5HTP all the way. Takes some time to dial in your ideal dose, but it works well and is side effect free. Holy Basil or Relora during the daytime will keep anxiety at bay nicely.

R

rescue163

Awards
Don't forget St. John's Wort. It has a bunch of studies behind it.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Good answer, too bad it is for my wife,
:twak:

Ask her to lose weight ... is met with hostility. Bet you a cent to a dollar.

If she'll do it... switch drug.

Be very careful indeed about incorporating recommendations here against a switch. It ain't that simple. SJW is the best of the suggestions here.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I've had good luck with Phenibut. Also I found Rhodiola to work very well.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Research the 5HTP, you may not want to use it for a while

Also as far as sides go lexapro is low, and usually no weight gain

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Also as far as sides go lexapro is low, and usually no weight gain
where the hell did you get that from? doc wanted to put my wife on lexapro so i researched it. found a forum of users and former users of lexapro, almost everyone of them were biitching about the weight gain that they couldn't loose even when stopping lexapro. my wife was just going through seasonal mild depression, glad i nixed the lexapro. do not believe for a minute that lexapro does not cause unwanted weight gain. research it for yourself.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
And SJW f's with birth control effectiveness as well as causing insomnia in many...but you can maybe figure that out via trial and error as well as doing some real research.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it's mild and you've already been diagnosed with nothing serious then Bio has good suggestions... If you're self diagnosing then i'd say none of the above until you've seen a doctor. Don't **** with your head if it's already ****ing with you first.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Well my mother takes it and no weight gain, and her doctor said low sides, so i made a broad assumption, my mistake...anti depressants have a variety of side effects, some small, some large, some nothing at all depending on who you are, much like birth control for women, they may go through 5-10 different types before they find one that does not make them fat and crazy...if it is a real issue with depression or anxiety, then a prescription will be a good option, or maybe an herbal, with these things it is trial and error...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well my mother takes it and no weight gain, and her doctor said low sides, so i made a broad assumption, my mistake...anti depressants have a variety of side effects, some small, some large, some nothing at all depending on who you are, much like birth control for women, they may go through 5-10 different types before they find one that does not make them fat and crazy...if it is a real issue with depression or anxiety, then a prescription will be a good option, or maybe an herbal, with these things it is trial and error...
if your mother is of menopause age or close that will effect how she reacts, a younger woman may react with a whole different set of sides or reactions. sorry to say many times doc's will prescribe meds without knowing all the possible side effects. doc's fall into the trap of prescribing the drug that happens to be popular at the time, in the 70's valium was prescribed for just about everything, so was amphetamines. mick jagger even wrote a song called mothers little helper about the rampant abuse of amphetamines at the time. so don't rely on doctors to do your research for you-it is your body, or your loved ones body.:cheers:

P

pjmc

Awards
Ashwagandha
Rhodiola Rosea
Bacopa Moneira
Resveratrol
sAME
Inositol

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
First off stay away from phenibut. Too much side effects. Works great short term. Then if you've used it for awhile you know what I'm talking about.

5-htp with sAME is good start. Don't try to mix too many things at once. This is when you get into trouble and this is the from years of experience. Even maybe 5-htp alone. 50-100mg 2-3x a day. After a month or 2 she should notice a big difference. This should help with both anxiety and depresssion.

If this doesn't work you can combine with alcar or tyrosine but that's the next step.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
rhodiola... higher dose for anxiety... lower dose for energy

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin D can be added to that list, maybe putting together a daytime\nighttime formula would work.
I am wondering if this list would be in parallel with the issues found on anti-depressants for example, not all antidepressants work for everyone if they are all depressed, one shoe size does not fit all as your issues may be affecting a different part of the brain. Which is why they ask you "How are you feeling on such and such".
St. Johns Wort did nothing for me, and I am not prone to depression, but my environment does cause stress\anxiety\depression (SAD its mine..unless its been in circulation in an official capacity > 6 years :D )..
After some research I tried out melatonin at night, and 5-htp in the day and I felt "normal".. Also plenty of exercise as mentioned earlier..
I have and do use 1-Carboxy from USP Labs at 1/4 teaspoon when I have anxiety at night, and I sleep pretty good, and wake up feeling refreshed sometimes, but I dont feel all depressed.
So to add to the list:
Vitamin D
1-Carboxy or a high extract of L-Dopa
Melatonin
Chamomile tea

These items should be sorted by night time and daytime formulation.. Can you imagine someone taking L-Dopa, 5-htp, Chamomile Tea and Vitamin D before going in to work... Talk about nausea!
MK9

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can you post the link where you found information on negative side effects of long term 5-htp use. I have researched and found no such thing. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't seen it.

I take 5-htp and relora. Excellent combination works very well, relora helps with fat loss controlling cortisol, and both of the have appetite suppression effects when taken 20 min before meals. I take 400-500mg of 5-htp and 900mg of relora daily.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
5HTP all the way. Takes some time to dial in your ideal dose, but it works well and is side effect free. Holy Basil or Relora during the daytime will keep anxiety at bay nicely.
x2 on the 5-HTP part. You can take a bit more than what they say on the bottle if needed. When in hell, it is a very good friend. The right dose of 5-HTP will snap you out of the worst panic attack. Get more sleep! Sleep sleep sleep. It heals the brain. If there are stressors in your life, get them handled and learn not to fret them best you can.

Over time, this therapy heals the brain. No need anymore for any SSRI's MOI's or anything for me. Problem is solved once and for all. In fact, for me, the 5-HTP works better than any prescription I was ever given. Even after weeks and weeks on them and it's affects are immediate.

Hg

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
x2 on the 5-HTP part. You can take a bit more than what they say on the bottle if needed. When in hell, it is a very good friend. The right dose of 5-HTP will snap you out of the worst panic attack. Get more sleep! Sleep sleep sleep. It heals the brain. If there are stressors in your life, get them handled and learn not to fret them best you can.

Over time, this therapy heals the brain. No need anymore for any SSRI's MOI's or anything for me. Problem is solved once and for all. In fact, for me, the 5-HTP works better than any prescription I was ever given. Even after weeks and weeks on them and it's affects are immediate.

Hg
What is a good therapeutic dose for 5-htp?? I have none, so I will pick some up at the grocery store.
MK9

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
What is a good therapeutic dose for 5-htp?? I have none, so I will pick some up at the grocery store.
MK9
It completely depends on you bro. A 50mg capsule may do the trick for one guy while another guy may need to dose up to 200mg before he gets relief. Now Foods has the best deal if you buy online. Whatever you get, buy the 50mg capsules for your first bottle and only take one at a time until you figure out how much you need. Wait about 1/2 to 3/4 hours between capsules.

I found 150mg to be perfect for me but I'm 260 lbs and have also used 5-HTP as a sleep aid in the past so I may have a bit of a tolorence built up? Start with a 50. Only take it when you need to. You don't want to be popping these all the time. The trick is to learn to control it with your CBT and the 5-HTP will help you do that.

Best to you buddy. You can beat it man. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been to hell and back so I can say that.

Hg

muller

muller

Awards
To the OP...

You are on the right track, but try to locate some Lithium Orotate.. It's prescribed, but can also be gotten as a supplement from few health stores and compounding pharmacies. about 180mg twice per day and you will notice a difference before a month. Lookup all the benefits of lithium, you'll be very impressed and wonder why you never tried it yet.

and be careful with the 5-HTP dosages, you CAN overdose, and you CAN die from an OD

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
To the OP...

You are on the right track, but try to locate some Lithium Orotate.. It's prescribed, but can also be gotten as a supplement from few health stores and compounding pharmacies. about 180mg twice per day and you will notice a difference before a month. Lookup all the benefits of lithium, you'll be very impressed and wonder why you never tried it yet.

and be careful with the 5-HTP dosages, you CAN overdose, and you CAN die from an OD
This is true. And I am not sure about any long term use side affects although in research I could find none. I should also mention that what I posted was for treating mostly the panic attacks side of things. For GAD or Depression, I'm not sure how affective it is? It may be, I just don't know if it is? I only dealt with severe PAD.

Anything up to 200 to 400 mg a day is safe for most but is considered the limit.

Hg

C

Cannon454

Awards
I am currently taking lexapro and can vouch that the sides are minimal. I have noticed that the feeling of "full" changes when on Lexapro and that is why some people see unwanted weight gain. Just an FYI.

M

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
You might not take this advice but pick this book up for your wife:

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns

This book has been proven to help millions of people with mild depression and even those with more severe depression. This is not a joke. This book was suggested to me by my psychologist and it helps a lot more and a lot quicker than trying to find the right pill. People with mild depression need to learn ways to avoid certain behaviors and certain ways of thinking. This book helps people identify their bad behaviors and ways of thinking and helps them to approach life at a different angle, one which doesn't perpetuate the cycle of negativity they've found themselves in. It's $8 and definitely worth a shot considering the monthly cost of prescription medication.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
No you can't unless you do thing crazy like take Carbidopa (sp?) and a heap of 5HTP or take it iv. You're talking serotonin syndrome.

Most 5HTP will convert in the blood stream. There is thought to be a risk to the heart if there is too much serotonin in the blood stream. Very little 5HTP will get through the BBB. It is supposed to make a difference, its a mood brightener basically.

To get s. syndrome you'd need to eat it in such massive amounts that you'd get a toxic reaction from just about any supplement.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I've never had much luck with herbals as far as anxiety/depression go.

Actually, I take that back. One herb has helped me tremendously, and that's no lie. I'm finally happy with my situation concerning anxiety, and I have been off of prescription meds since early July (my own doings, Zoloft was fucking me up badly).

What is this magical herb? Pahahaha, I'll bet you can guess.

rob561

rob561

Awards
  • Established

Actually, I take that back. One herb has helped me tremendously, and that's no lie. I'm finally happy with my situation concerning anxiety, and I have been off of prescription meds since early July (my own doings, Zoloft was fucking me up badly).

:smoker::240::439: enough said

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Don't **** with your head if it's already ****ing with you first.
Reps for this. As a proud member of the clinically depressed community, it pisses me off when people do this. "Healthy" people bitch about it how "unnatural" and "unhealthy" anti-depressants are, but to people like me they are literally a lifesaver compared to 'toughing it out' or going the 'natural' route.

Actually, I take that back. One herb has helped me tremendously, and that's no lie. I'm finally happy with my situation concerning anxiety, and I have been off of prescription meds since early July (my own doings, Zoloft was ****ing me up badly).
:thumbsup: 'nuff said

J

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
1-carboxy, Octopamine, and Chocamine always makes me on top of the world...

C

coachmorin

Awards
Hmmm...before trying things, why not get evaluated with a biosignature to see how hormones are going right now. This will tell you a lot. After that, you will see your options. Something working for someone, might not work for you. We are all different.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
The right dose of 5-HTP will snap you out of the worst panic attack.

Hg
I will 2nd that! I have found nothing that will snap you out of a panic attack like 5-htp. I found the dosage of 300-400mg at one time does the trick for me if i'm having one. Within 20-30minutes the panic attack is completely gone. It's amazing. One time I was at bush gardens and all the sudden a huge panic attack came over me. I was completely numb. Friends noticed I wasn't talking much at all. I was just trying to keep myself calm cause I felt like my world was closing in around me. Thankfully I brought a bottle of 5-htp with me and had it in the car. Took 300mg and within 30minutes my panic attack was gone and I was back to myself. I always have a bottle available in my cabinet.

C

coolbreeze

Awards
any thoughts on Kanna?
Kanna works well - I found a good blend of Kanna with Phenibut and Theanine in a product called Gabatrol. It worked for me.

another phen based product that blends other stuff is U4EA, seems to work for a lot of people.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I will 2nd that! I have found nothing that will snap you out of a panic attack like 5-htp. I found the dosage of 300-400mg at one time does the trick for me if i'm having one. Within 20-30minutes the panic attack is completely gone. It's amazing. One time I was at bush gardens and all the sudden a huge panic attack came over me. I was completely numb. Friends noticed I wasn't talking much at all. I was just trying to keep myself calm cause I felt like my world was closing in around me. Thankfully I brought a bottle of 5-htp with me and had it in the car. Took 300mg and within 30minutes my panic attack was gone and I was back to myself. I always have a bottle available in my cabinet.
I always have one of those little pill holders in my pocket with 300-400mg in it just in case. You never know whats gonna set you off, and having it on me has saved me a few times too. GAD is such an obscure thing and really hard to try to explain to people that don't have to deal with it. Cool to hear from people with similar experiences, because I don't really understand why it happens myself.

A

as7r080y

Awards
hi guys this is an interesting thread. ive actually been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks recently more than ever... its the worst feeling on this earth. up till now i have not done anything about it, but its starting to affect my life i went to the docs and he said i should go see a shrink to talk about it, but he also prescribed me paroxteine.... i did a bit of a read up about it and it sounds scary.. weight gain... etc..etc... and massive withdrawls when your coming off it... that is my last resort i dont want to take it. I have however started a course of st johns wort and even then i did some reading and people say bad things can happen. Anyway im taking it started my first pill this morning just had my next for lunch and another one at night everyday... i want to see if this helps first before i go another route.... anyone give any other advice.... or other stuff that is easily obtain that is natural and can help reduce my attacks... thanks.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I'd see the shrink before popping a single prescription med.

Sadly, I learned this lesson the hard way.

S

skalami

Awards
dont they have something thats literally called Happy Pills? a mix of 5-htp and a bunch of mood boosting supps?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Confidence is the main thing and you can get that via lots of routes, diet, exercise, supplements being stuff this board does. Its about how to re-establish once you've received a knock or 'hard knock'. If you're nutritional status is low that ain't good.

Someone mentioned earlier CBT has global acclaim now.

My girl has a few similar issues right now, so I need to know all I can to support her. The thing to watch for is their cycle (i.e. not PH) 'cause no set of rules is gonna get around that. In fact I didn't even know that the mood shift can happen a whole week before the event.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Disagree, anxiety and/or panic attacks are usually not a result of a lack of confidence. Notice how many people here have these issues wanting help and then look at how many takes stims thermos etc in large doses. Don't discount supp use and chemical imbalances as a cause.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
5-htp with sAME is good start. Don't try to mix too many things at once. This is when you get into trouble and this is the from years of experience. Even maybe 5-htp alone. 50-100mg 2-3x a day. After a month or 2 she should notice a big difference. This should help with both anxiety and depresssion.
Agreed. I got sick mixing st. johns wort with sam-e and 5-htp and dosing them too close together. Nausea, vomiting and a massive head ache. I pulled the st. johns wort and everything has been fine since. Be careful. Even tho it is "herbal", it can still pack a punch.

Not a fan of St. John and his wort.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
No you can't unless you do thing crazy like take Carbidopa (sp?) and a heap of 5HTP or take it iv. You're talking serotonin syndrome.

Most 5HTP will convert in the blood stream. There is thought to be a risk to the heart if there is too much serotonin in the blood stream. Very little 5HTP will get through the BBB. It is supposed to make a difference, its a mood brightener basically.

To get s. syndrome you'd need to eat it in such massive amounts that you'd get a toxic reaction from just about any supplement.
I didn't want to get into that because it is true you can od on the stuff but you are right here. The bottom line is, you'll be sick to your stomach long before you reach that level of S in your blood. High Serotonin blood levels will make you feel deathly sick in your stomach when that stuff starts to bleed off into your digestive tract. You'd have to be slamming a bottle a day to do that I would think?

:smoker::240::439: enough said
Guys, when I was a pre-teen into my early teens I had "severe" Tourette's Syndrome. Had it bad, the whole ball of wax. I was the neighborhood freak. It was ruining my life. Had neck damage into adulthood from it. It was at about 13 that the rough place I lived in introduced me to MaryJ. She cured me. T syndrome left within weeks and has never come back even though I parted ways with Mary over 25 years ago. Just interesting to know. Not advocating anything. Just speaking what happened to me in my life.

I always have one of those little pill holders in my pocket with 300-400mg in it just in case. You never know whats gonna set you off, and having it on me has saved me a few times too. GAD is such an obscure thing and really hard to try to explain to people that don't have to deal with it. Cool to hear from people with similar experiences, because I don't really understand why it happens myself.
5-HTP is a life saver! Works like a miracle drug for me. I got it stashed all over the place although I haven't needed any for months now.

hi guys this is an interesting thread. ive actually been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks recently more than ever... its the worst feeling on this earth. up till now i have not done anything about it, but its starting to affect my life i went to the docs and he said i should go see a shrink to talk about it, but he also prescribed me paroxteine.... i did a bit of a read up about it and it sounds scary.. weight gain... etc..etc... and massive withdrawls when your coming off it... that is my last resort i dont want to take it. I have however started a course of st johns wort and even then i did some reading and people say bad things can happen. Anyway im taking it started my first pill this morning just had my next for lunch and another one at night everyday... i want to see if this helps first before i go another route.... anyone give any other advice.... or other stuff that is easily obtain that is natural and can help reduce my attacks... thanks.
5-HTP brother. Get some, try it, see my first post in this thread.

I agree.

Anxiety is best treated by therapy, with medications or supplements being an excellent support while on the path to wellness and recovery.
I agree only I see it the other way around for me. CBT would not work at all for me if I didn't have supplements. With the help I get from the supplements I have the ability to learn and focus on my CBT skills. My attacks used to be so severe that I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance because we thought sure I was dying. I'd turn yellow green and I honestly wanted to die to escape it. I would freak out feeling like I was really suffocating to death and there was no stopping it. When in that state, there isn't a CBT skill in the world that will help. It's like asking a soldier who just got his leg blown off to use mind over matter to stop the pain and the bleeding. Not going to happen because in the mind, it is just that real. It's the worst hell I've ever experienced and I wouldn't wish it on anyone no matter how bad they piss me off. My heart goes out to sufferers. I've helped people calm down and get it under control. I only wish I had more time to volunteer to help out at the clinics. This stuff is no joke to those who are going through it.

Disagree, anxiety and/or panic attacks are usually not a result of a lack of confidence. Notice how many people here have these issues wanting help and then look at how many takes stims thermos etc in large doses. Don't discount supp use and chemical imbalances as a cause.
It is for sure a chemical imbalance in the brain brother. Real GAD/PAD/Depression is not a result of emotions. It's a physical ailment in the brain. When you have it, emotions can trigger an attack, but they are not the cause.

Hg

A

as7r080y

Awards
I agree only I see it the other way around for me. CBT would not work at all for me if I didn't have supplements. With the help I get from the supplements I have the ability to learn and focus on my CBT skills. My attacks used to be so severe that I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance because we thought sure I was dying. I'd turn yellow green and I honestly wanted to die to escape it. I would freak out feeling like I was really suffocating to death and there was no stopping it. When in that state, there isn't a CBT skill in the world that will help. It's like asking a soldier who just got his leg blown off to use mind over matter to stop the pain and the bleeding. Not going to happen because in the mind, it is just that real. It's the worst hell I've ever experienced and I wouldn't wish it on anyone no matter how bad they piss me off. My heart goes out to sufferers. I've helped people calm down and get it under control. I only wish I had more time to volunteer to help out at the clinics. This stuff is no joke to those who are going through it
Hg
**** thats really ****ed up... i feel like im shaking already... lol..... anyway i get mine when im in the car driving out of my comfort zone.... i cant even go see clients for work anymore.. i get half way on the motorway and if there is standstill traffic... i start to panic.... feel like i cant breath and because i have ashma i feel worse.... i usually need to turn around and drive home otherwise i think ill die in the middle of the road.... its bad.... im gonna ask the shrink if he can prescribe me some 5htp.... he better know what im going on about... :|

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
how long does it take for 5htp to kick in
About 20 to 40 minutes depending on your metabolism.

**** thats really ****ed up... i feel like im shaking already... lol..... anyway i get mine when im in the car driving out of my comfort zone.... i cant even go see clients for work anymore.. i get half way on the motorway and if there is standstill traffic... i start to panic.... feel like i cant breath and because i have ashma i feel worse.... i usually need to turn around and drive home otherwise i think ill die in the middle of the road.... its bad.... im gonna ask the shrink if he can prescribe me some 5htp.... he better know what im going on about... :|
I feel for ya bro. 5-HTP is OTC man. Just go pick some up at the drug store. No script needed. I'm not telling you to not talk to your doc first though. He may have you on something already that may not play nice with the 5-HTP. If you are taking anything prescribed right now, check with your doc first. Other wise just snap some up. Read my first post in this thread for dosing info.

Hg

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Do you find 5htp to be more effective, taken on an empty stomach?

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Do you find 5htp to be more effective, taken on an empty stomach?
I didn't. In fact, it upsets my stomach a bit that way. But if you can't eat because you are freaking out then you gotta do what you gotta do man. If you can, try to take it with some food but it isn't mandatory.