College legal supps? Protein/all-in-one?

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
Hello all,

Ill be starting track and field in a couple days. NCAA D3 college.
btw. Im a freshman this year.

I had some good results using Gaspari protein and super pump 250. My current coach discourages supps because they are not regulated by the FDA, and the manufacturers don't have to list all of the ingredients.

But im going to be starting a weight training class in addition to track practice. And i need something to eat after lifting. (I have 8 minutes for lunch between classes)

I run 400m and shorter, and I jump.

Eventually I will have to pass an NCAA drug test, so i need something that does not contain anything illegal.

I never have liked pre-workout drinks. caffeine makes me VERY jittery. Other than that, im not very picky, just nothing banned.

I know its not very popular around here, but I get all my supps through GNC. So that would be the ideal place for me to go, but anything works.

thanks for the input

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
nutraplanet.com way cheaper.

xtend for like pre running if u want something to help with endurance/recovery. also look at their bulk creatine monohydrate. its like 15 bucks for a year supply so you will never run out. after you run, just some standard protein works. its all pretty much the same. All The Whey is the cheapest. $30/5lbs which is 80 scoops. add a banana too, it will help with muscle recovery from the fast carbs

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
ok thanks. Ive used creatine before, its college legal right?

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
just to note
maybe your school is different weather your school odes testing or your conference or whatever, so my advice IS NOT FOOL PROOF, but i do believe testing works like this at the DIII level
Your team only gets tested if they make the NCAA tournament. And 3 "randomly" selected players are tested.
Now, like i said THIS MIGHT BE DIFFERENT FOR YOUR CONFERENCE OR SCHOOL.
Technically you always run a risk of being tested but at the DIII level its unlikely if you were a DI football player i'd probably worry bout it more than DIII track and field.

If you wanted to stay clean either way, (now clean i mean take a supp the night before/morning of type deal) i'd stay away from just about everything. NCAA is very STRICT on their banned substances list. I'd stick with simple pure protien. CREATINE is banned by NCAA(95% sure of this, last time i looked it over)
i'd stick to protien, maybe a carb supplement, your multi. If your dead set on staying clean bring a print out of the nutrion label (you can find it online) to your atheltic trainer they will tell you if its ok or not, and again not everything has to be listed so thats not 100% fool proof either.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is not banned...this link should provide the info you need to figure out what is what...Also FYI I suggest you use creatine mono, studies have shown that it helps with sprinting and shorter bursts, assuming this would help in the 100, 200 and the long and triple jump

http://www.drugfreesport.com/rec/home.asp <<<Use the login NCAA d1 and password ncaa1

Now creatine and certain protiens are BANNED from being distributed by schools to their athletes, but you can take on your own

When you get tested they look for the ration of testosterone to epistestore to see if you are on a cycle, as long as you research each supplement you take, don't take steriods, designed steriods, or pro-hormones you are good

edit: I meant ration of testosteron to epitestosterone
I mean ratio

D

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
USP Labs Prime. They have on the back of the box that none of the ingredients in it are on the NCAA banned list for 2008-2009. And how the **** do you only have eight minutes for lunch between classes?

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
thanks for all the input.

Now that you mention it, my coach did say something about being tested if we make the DIII tournament (mainly nationals)

as for 8 min lunch... thats just the way my schedule fell together, on thursdays anyway. On thursdays my lifting class gets done at 11:52 and English starts at 12:00. I guess I can have lunch at 10:00.... but that sucks. Tuesdays I have about an hour to eat. Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays I can eat a normal lunch.

Thanks again

B

brock17cf

Awards
Would creatine mono help in running the 400 as much as it does in the 100/200? How would those effects for the endurance compare to citrulline or Cordygen VO2 for the 400 event?

B

brock17cf

Awards
Also, Ive never heard anyone talk about possible improvement of glyogen storage from R-ala, in theory, wouldnt it improve endurance in the 200/400 events?

P.S. Beta Alanine helps with carnosine storage and is not tested for.

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
From what ive heard, creatine mono wont help too much for 400m. Creatine is good for short bursts of explosive energy, usually lasting no more than 30 seconds. Creatine will help you when it comes to lifting, which could translate to improvements in the 400m.

Ive thought the same thing. what are your times?

B

brock17cf

Awards
From what ive heard, creatine mono wont help too much for 400m. Creatine is good for short bursts of explosive energy, usually lasting no more than 30 seconds. Creatine will help you when it comes to lifting, which could translate to improvements in the 400m.

Ive thought the same thing. what are your times?
I just figured the more creatine you have stored, the longer you can be gassin' it around the 200-300 meter mark. But will the extra muscle weight negate those benefits? Im glad someone on here shares my entusiasm for track!
My best times last year as a high school junior were:
100- 11.5
200-23.4
400- 53.8
Last year was my first year running. Loved it.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Oh and for your 8 minute meal, protien shake or another meal replacement like myoplex, as for the creatine load 5 grams 4 times a day for 1 to 2 weeks then take 5 grams before exercise and 5 after, drink lots of agua too, start eating more too, haha your skinny

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
brock17cf,

those are some decent times for a junior. My times listed i ran last year (my senior year). My junior year i had almost the exact same times. I took a weight training class junior and senior year, it made ALL the difference.

ive heard beta-alanine is supposed to help with 400m 'burn' (lactic acid). I havent tried it myself yet though.

jayst22,

Ive been trying to gain weight for the past 3 years. With how much i run, its just not happening. For being as tall as i am, ive still got some OK numbers for lifting. Ive been lifting about 3x a week (during school) Bench: 205 Power Clean: 215 Parallel Squat: 315.
I also have a 35" vertical, and I standing long jump 10'1" Ive been eating nonstop and I just don't gain anything. I guess im doing ok though... :D

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Your what's called a hardgainer, meaning your metabolism is supper fast, I bet you have a six pack though, the lifting will help you and trying eating 4000 calories a day or more and see of that helps you put on muscle, your lifts look good for your height and weight, keep researching here at AM, you will learn a lot, search "hard gainer" and see what you come up with, FYI track coaches are old school, they may tell you to stay away from everything, keep up those squats, they will make you faster!

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
Yeah, ive been trying to eat as much as possible.

Ive been looking at 'Essentials + Joint Complex' Does anyone know if it is NCAA legal? Ive been looking online and cant find a definite list of banned substances. I don't think there's anything in there that would cause a problem.

As for protein, i was thinking Muscle Milk Collegiate. Mainly because that IS NCAA legal.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Your 200 time is impressive, may fastest times in highschool were 11.3 100, 22.7 200, and 49.8 in the 400, for some reason I could run the 400 really well even though I am short and stocky...with your sprinting speeds you should be able to drop down under 50 no problem

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
there's a story behind that... My Jr year I mainly ran the 400m, but that ended with a broken foot. After my foot healed, I began training again. My coach had me practicing sprints during cross country (i raced another coach who was on a bike :D ) Then during the winter I was lifting 5x a week and taking a core-strength clinic. Then track practice started, one week in i caught pneumonia. That ruined all of my off season training, and the next month of training/lifting. Once i was well enough to compete, I still didn't have any stamina or endurance. So, my coaches put me in the 100/200 and I did well at them. Sooooo.... I didn't even run a 400 for my high school my senior year. I ran AAU track after my season was done and I entered myself in the 400m. The TWO times i ran a 400m this year was a 51.2 and a 50.64. So im guessing that if i trained ENTIRELY FOR the 400 i could probably be in the 48's.
After AAU was done, I applied to a D1 college, UW Madison. I applied directly to the track dept. my resume got forwarded from an assistant coach to the HEAD coach. He emailed me saying that it was too close to the school year to get me in, but next year he would "see what he could do". (i applied as a decathlete, my times weren't good enough to make the team as an individual athlete, but ive done almost every event with moderate success.)

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
if u have the money i would say to get some citruvol and carnage from millenium sports technologies. but if u decide to get the essentials plus joint that has creatine and beta al. so u could add ultra cordygen v02 . its great for endurance. nd if u want a brand that has only ncaa approved supps do a search for 8 ball nutrition. they have like a 40% off for college students/athletes . they always have sales once a month i just picked up some of there post workout protein that has beta alanine in it and its decent. and if u dont like stimmy preworkout drinks the make a product called CNO-3 and its basically like NO shotgun except not as advanced i guess and it only has a little bit of caffeine. go to there site and theyll send u samples of just about every product they have too

B

brock17cf

Awards
brock17cf,

those are some decent times for a junior. My times listed i ran last year (my senior year). My junior year i had almost the exact same times. I took a weight training class junior and senior year, it made ALL the difference.

ive heard beta-alanine is supposed to help with 400m 'burn' (lactic acid). I havent tried it myself yet though.
Thanks man. Opposite from you, Im trying to lose weight because I'm too freakin dense to finish a 400 the way I'd like to.
What type of reps/weight do you use, some places I hear to do 15-20 explosive reps of 65% 1RM, then I hear do 2 reps 95% of 1RM followed by plyometrics between sets. What worked for you?
I used Beta alanine last year, it helped me go from high 54's to 53.5's.

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
8 ball nutrition looks awesome!!! Thanks for the info. I knew there HAD to be a company making NCAA legal supps. Ive got some of their samples on the way. Essentials will be hard to beat, but im looking at some of the 8 ball stuff.

Thanks again!

zieglmv9

zieglmv9

Awards
sorry i didn't answer your questions in my last post...

I took a strength class: lifting mon/wed/fri and plyos tues/thurs. lifting reps changed by week, 3x3 reps, 3x5reps, 10,8,6reps, 5,3,1reps. increasing weight in between each set. for plyos, box jumping, ladder drills, elastic bands, sprint starts, jump rope.

For pure 400 training ive found that 500m over-distance training works well: run a 400 at roughly 70-80sec then sprint 100. walk 300 back to the start and repeat 3-5 times.

for endurance training (my current college training): Run 200m at 65-70% then slow jog for 200m. continue constantly for 15-20 minutes.

This worked for me very well, im hopping to be in the 40's this year doing this kind of training.

hope this helped,

matt z

B

brock17cf

Awards
sorry i didn't answer your questions in my last post...

I took a strength class: lifting mon/wed/fri and plyos tues/thurs. lifting reps changed by week, 3x3 reps, 3x5reps, 10,8,6reps, 5,3,1reps. increasing weight in between each set. for plyos, box jumping, ladder drills, elastic bands, sprint starts, jump rope.

For pure 400 training ive found that 500m over-distance training works well: run a 400 at roughly 70-80sec then sprint 100. walk 300 back to the start and repeat 3-5 times.

for endurance training (my current college training): Run 200m at 65-70% then slow jog for 200m. continue constantly for 15-20 minutes.

This worked for me very well, im hopping to be in the 40's this year doing this kind of training.

hope this helped,

matt z
Thanks matt. I'll definitely be trying this soon.