BCAA's before bed. Will they interfere with sleep or keep me wired?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
???????????

JeremyT

Awards
How could BCAA's by definition keep you wired?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^Certainly not. Sounds like someone needs to do a little reading on what certain supplements actually do.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WELL.............

Several amino acids are precursors for neurotransmitters. One well known role of a neurotransmitter is to DECREASE fatigue, not exactky a good thing before bed trime wouldn't you agree.

One example, tyrosine stimulates brain activity as it's converted to dopamine, which has a large number of central nervous system effects.

brock17cf

Awards
WELL.............

Several amino acids are precursors for neurotransmitters. One well known role of a neurotransmitter is to DECREASE fatigue, not exactky a good thing before bed trime wouldn't you agree.

One example, tyrosine stimulates brain activity as it's converted to dopamine, which has a large number of central nervous system effects.
My month's worth of using tyrosine actually did the opposite, i was more relaxed. And that was concentrated tyrosine.

brock17cf

Awards
I'd expect the tryptophan content to help relax you as well.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA will not keep you up.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see what you are saying, but no, they will not. In fact, matt from millennium sport recommends taking an eaa or bcaa product after working out late to minimize insulin release (and subsequent gh blunting) during sleep, and gain maximum benefit from somnidren.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Traditional stims aren't the only things thast can keep you up. He has a valid question.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I see what you are saying, but no, they will not. In fact, matt from millennium sport recommends taking an eaa or bcaa product after working out late to minimize insulin release (and subsequent gh blunting) during sleep, and gain maximum benefit from somnidren.
That's weird, BCAA cause a significant insulin spike.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, not significant, and it's quickly over, as they are digested and absorbed quickly.

ripnlean

ripnlean

Better Body Sports
Awards
Why would you be taking a BCAA before sleep other than the ones included in your casein shake?
if you're trying to conserve muscle, the optimum time for BCAA supplementation would be around your workouts and First thing in the morning if you think you're not getting enough protein in your diet. BCAA help protein synthesis and recovery.
There is no caffeine or anyother stimulant in Leucine, and Valine!
If your workout is right before bed, that would be first thing keeping you up.

bigshoulders

Awards
bcaa's are normally leucine, valine, isoleucine, so there is no tryptophan in it or tyrosine in it, usually anyway.
I heard glutumine may have an excitatory effect, converts to glutamic acid, but that wouldn't be in bcaas normally.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why would you be taking a BCAA before sleep other than the ones included in your casein shake?
if you're trying to conserve muscle, the optimum time for BCAA supplementation would be around your workouts and First thing in the morning if you think you're not getting enough protein in your diet. BCAA help protein synthesis and recovery.
There is no caffeine or anyother stimulant in Leucine, and Valine!
If your workout is right before bed, that would be first thing keeping you up.
The point I was making was not specifically to take it before sleep, but to take it after a very late workout where you have to go to bed right away. Some people have cramped schedules, and some believe blunting gh release during sleep (which a good post workout meal will) is far worse for overall health, recovery, and muscle growth than missing that post workout meal. Taking an eaa or bcaa post workout before hitting the sack provides aminos for recovery with minimal impact on insulin and gh.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

brock17cf

Awards
^^^I wasn't talking about the bcaa's, i was talking about amino acids in general in response to what whacked said below:
WELL.............

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^I wasn't talking about the bcaa's, i was talking about amino acids in general in response to what whacked said below:
Got it! Thanks!

ding sandbach

Awards
Its weird ever since i started taking them before bed (i train quite late) ive found i have an amazing nights sleep but i just cant wake in the mornings feel really tired still but my body and muscle feels good

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
I take primordial's iBCAA before bed and have no sleep troubles.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I take em before bed too instead of a shake... shakes before bed make me wake up with a dry a$$ mouth running to the bathroom in the morning. They are great before bed IMO and they don't cause an insulin spike I don't see how they would??? A shake with some carbs in it will throw some insulin around before bed.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think Leucine causes an Insulin spike or sorts!?!?

They are great before bed IMO and they don't cause an insulin spike I don't see how they would??? .