Calcium and Magnesium absorption

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Calcium and Magnesium absorption

Calcium Citrate and Magnesium Citrate

Planned on dosing BOTH twice/day

1) Best ratio's for absorption? Don't they interfere with each other's absorption rates when not taken in appropriate ratio's
    2) Instead, would it be best to just take them independent of the other?
    ALSO:
    3) Potassium Citrate - any issues with taking this WITH or WITHOUT any of these?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure they have competing absorption sites... Its been awhile since I've reviewed mineral absorption.

The Calcium Citrate is a good choice though, because calcium needs a more acidic environment for optimal absorption, the citric acid group bonded to the calcium helps with that. If possible I'd take with some Vit. D to further enhance absorption.

Your best bet would be to separate the doses by several hours.

For Potassium Citrate I don't think there would be any issues with either of the other two...
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  177 lbs.
    Answers

I prefer to take calcium and magnesium in the amino acid chelate, and ascorbate form along with but not limited to just the citrate form. Vitamin D in the cholecalciferol formb will certainly help with the absorbtion and bioavailability of both minerals but will dramitically help with the absorbtion of calcium.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the input

I forgot to add that Vit D (cholecalciferol) si already added to the calcium citrate

So....any competition with magnesium if taken simultaneously OR is that advised b/c they enhance each other's uptake?
  5. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Here's a good article to read about it http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/1/13 .
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Thank you

From Steve's link:

Magnesium Absorption: Mechanisms and the Influence of Vitamin D, Calcium and Phosphate1
    Laurie L. Hardwick, Michael R. Jones2, Nachman Brautbar3 and David B. N. Lee4

Division of Nephrology (111R), Veterans Administration Medical Center, Sepulveda, CA 91343

Magnesium absorption has been studied in both humans and animals under diverse experimental conditions. As a result, the data often appear confusing and conflicting. In this review we attempt to summarize information concerning Mg absorption and, where possible, to reconcile apparently conflicting observations. Most studies suggest that Mg is absorbed predominately in the distal intestine. At usual Mg intakes, Mg absorption occurs primarily by intercellular diffusional and solvent drag mechanisms. There is evidence for a saturable component of Mg absorption in the small intestine and the descending colon that is important at low dietary Mg intakes. Pharmacological doses of vitamin D increase Mg absorption in both vitamin D-deficient and vitamin D-replete animals. A substantial amount of Mg absorption, however, occurs independent of vitamin D. In addition, vitamin D may reduce Mg retention through increases in urinary Mg excretion. Intestinal interactions between Mg and calcium or phosphate have been demonstrated in both humans and animals. The nature of these interactions cannot be readily explained by data currently available.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  177 lbs.
    Answers

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Thanks for the input

I forgot to add that Vit D (cholecalciferol) si already added to the calcium citrate

So....any competition with magnesium if taken simultaneously OR is that advised b/c they enhance each other's uptake?
    I see no conflict at all with taking them simultaneously. Actually I see that it will be very benificial to do so.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. calcium citrate without magnesium stearate?
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
  2. Calcium Magnesium & Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
  3. potassium, calcium, magnesium w/clen
    By nikegurl in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
  4. Calcium and Magnesium for Insomnia
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:01 AM
  5. Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc Supplement