high caffeine pre-WO supps while bulking

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
I was talking to a former olympic weightlifter yesterday. He was saying that high caffeine pre-WO supps accelerate cortisol levels and put the body in a very catabolic state especially if they're consumed on an empty stomach.

I've got a pre-WO supplement Jack3d which has a fair bit of caffeine but works brilliantly. USPLabs recommend taking it on an empty stomach.

Is the level of cortisol which is caused by caffeine based supps (such as Jack3d or NO products) significant enough to be counter-productive on a bulk?

nynone

nynone

Awards
even though it seems like my opinion here never matters, i will still try and have a voice.

what he said is right to an extent. i think the extent of the caffeine is what he might be referring to. high caffeine content can surely be catabolic when on an empty stomach. to me its like having a monster before working out, even though you had nothing all day to eat. that is what i get from it. i know jack3d has a substantial amount of caffeine, but i am pretty sure it isn't enough to really be much of a concern. i would recommend something pre workout to eat personally. but then again, there are those who prefer not eating for at least an hour before working out.

just thought i'd give my two cents.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's my 2c worth. Jack3d is good to go for gains.

Ive made solid natural gains on it during fasted AM workouts.

Have some BCAAs pre-peri-post WO and make sure your postWO nutrition is on point.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
As long as the stims are enough to stimulate a good workout,

but not enough to kill your appetite for the next 5 hours.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's my 2c worth. Jack3d is good to go for gains.

Ive made solid natural gains on it during fasted AM workouts.

Have some BCAAs pre-peri-post WO and make sure your postWO nutrition is on point.
Agree with Jake here. I don't do fasted training myself but, I have my pre w/o meal about 2 hours before and then take my Jacked 1/2 hour pre w/o. 2 scoops is usually plenty for me to want to hammer the weights. I drink my aminos during the w/o and take my post w/o shake following. As long as you provide the muscles with nutrients I can't see any problem.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The caffeine/cortisol issue is very overblown. Yes, cortisol is increased, but that is a result of the stimulants converting glycogen into glucose. To seek out other sources of energy, cortisol is increased.