capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
Agents raid supplement warehouse - SignOnSanDiego.com

Agents raid supplement warehouse
By Mark Zeigler
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:00 a.m. September 25, 2009

Federal agents raided the Boise, Idaho, headquarters and distribution warehouse of Bodybuilding.com yesterday amid allegations it is selling dozens of products containing illegal anabolic steroids.

The raid is considered the biggest salvo yet in an increasing federal crackdown on dietary supplements laced with steroids and other controlled substances, and its ramifications could potentially impact tens of thousands of customers.

Bodybuilding.com does an estimated $150 million in sales each year, including a healthy amount to San Diego clients intent on losing weight and toning their bodies. A majority stake in the company was reportedly sold for more than $100 million in January 2008 to Liberty Media, which also owns baseball's Atlanta Braves.

According to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the San Diego Union-Tribune, federal agents bought 31 products from the company's Web site. Twenty-three, the affidavit said, tested positive for a variety of steroids.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
this was particularly interesting:

...increasing federal crackdown on dietary supplements laced with steroids and other controlled substances...

is this really rampant?... when they say steriods, could they mean PH's etc?..and did a few big name atheletes test pos and blamed these supps being "laced" instead of manning up and admitting they tried to get an edge cause this?

wellbilt

Awards
I woulndf put it past sup companies to throw alittle winnhy,turnibol,anadrol of dbol into fhere products so people get results
I know there are some legit companies that would not take the risk but there is probably more bad companies then good

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
i hear ya... but 23 out of 31 products bought test positive for something it staggering...

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Most of you guys probably don't remember Hot Stuff. But the rumor was the original versions were laced with dbol. If you looked at the ingredient profile, their really were just trace amounts of alot of nonsense, yet i know guys who swore by it.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Most of you guys probably don't remember Hot Stuff. But the rumor was the original versions were laced with dbol. If you looked at the ingredient profile, their really were just trace amounts of alot of nonsense, yet i know guys who swore by it.
Yes, the original was something unreal.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Those products that tested positive had on the label what was in there with the exception of a few products....shouldnt have been that big of a surprise.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hot Stuff.....(original) oh yeah ! thats going back quite awhile !!

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
23 out of 31. I bet the feds are saying that stuff like Bold and Epi and other PHs are considered to be illegal. :p

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
23 out of 31. I bet the feds are saying that stuff like Bold and Epi and other PHs are considered to be illegal. :p
I am assuming that because certain substances are not banned that you believe that a company can label a steroid as a dietary supplement and sell it OTC and get away with it forever and not be held liable for violating any laws?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am assuming that because certain substances are not banned that you believe that a company can label a steroid as a dietary supplement and sell it OTC and get away with it forever and not be held liable for violating any laws?
:scratchchin:

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My buddy who used it said the same thing. Circa 1990.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
My buddy who used it said the same thing. Circa 1990.
I picked up two jugs the first day it ever touched the shelves back in the day. Let me say that whatever it was, it sure as hell wasn't pixie dust...

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Using the word "laced" implies they're being shady about it and hiding it in their products. Looking at all the products they took, the names are clearly PH/DS related, and people shouldn't be surprised it has these hormones in it.

Using the word "laced" implies they're being shady about it and hiding it in their products. Looking at all the products they took, the names are clearly PH/DS related, and people shouldn't be surprised it has these hormones in it.
Couple did not have what was listed....

Chester M3

Awards
I loved that stuff.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Change the word believe to hope and you'll have most people's actual views.

MH8219

MH8219

Awards
It's sad

It's sad we have to pay for others' mistakes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
macedog24 Company Promotions 0
Supplements 7
DGator86 Supplements 0
Supplements 10
Anabolics 316