Glutamic Acid in Protein (Noob Question)

laidback64

Awards
I have recently started lifting and just bought some Whey Protein Isolate from Nutrabio. I got it in today and I noticed on the back that it has 4345 mg of Glutamic Acid, per 25 grams of protein. I plan on taking about 150 grams of protein a day, strictly from shakes. This would be 26,070 mgs of Glutamic Acid a day.

My question is if this would harm me in anyway. I have heard conflicting stories regarding the benefits and side effects of Glutamic Acid and I really don't want to take anything that is going to screw me up. Also, if there is a problem with taking that much Glutamic Acid, is there any proteins out there manufactured with out it.

Oh, if your curious the protein tastes pretty good. It was just a little "sweet" tasting. Going to mix it next time with water, instead of milk.

Ddono25

Awards
Differing opinions on glutamic acid, just as you said. I would say try for yourself and see how you feel. I personally have no issues with it, and never have known anyone who did, so I don't feel like glutamic acid is bad in vivo.

Why would you be getting 150 grams of protein from shakes? Is that your only protein source or when you say "strictly from shakes" do you mean that you will be getting 150g of protein from shakes is less than your overall protein intake for the day? I'm a proponent of protein shakes and their benefits, but that seems excessive.

laidback64

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I weigh around 230 lbs right now, and my goal is to take in around 250 grams of protein a day. I planned on taking 150 grams of it in the form of shakes, and the rest of it through regular eating.

Do you feel I should cut down on the protein powder and just eat more? Let me know.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Do you feel I should cut down on the protein powder and just eat more? Let me know.
Definitely.

Whole food is almost always better than supplements with few exceptions. On a whole its cheaper too.

Ddono25

Awards
Like I said I think protein shakes have their place. I usually have 50-100 grams of protein from whey isolate a day. This is only when I am either unable to make something else or I just feel like having a shake instead of food. 100 grams is max though, and that is with the goal of 300 grams of protein a day.

I have found that I can gain muscle easier with a lot (350+ grams) more protein, but when it comes from two extra chicken breasts a day, or two cans of tuna a day, or a pound of lean steak or ground buffalo instead of from protein shakes (mainly whey but including blends) I stay much leaner and have actually lost body fat while gaining strength and/or muscle. To each his own, but this seems the same for most people as well.