hot proteinz

jon1235

Awards
So, I left 5 lbs of whey isolate and 2 lbs of creatine monohydrate in their original plastic containers, inside of a bag, out in the 110F degree heat for 3 days and nights. Are they still good? Please tell me why or why not. Thanks! First post here by the way.

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
When I read the title of this thread I thought for sure it was Buster informing us of a new protein brand he found !!!

...anyway, I have no idea.

Whey protein is very heat sensitive though. Anyone actually know the answer ??

wingzors

Awards
I would imagine its still good I tend to leave mine in my truck everyonce in awhile, but I have no scientific evidence if it would be ok

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Protein:
Whey protein has high surface area. Oxygen, & water vapor slowly diffuse through the plastic packaging naturally, you simply sped this process up. There is definitely some chemical degradation of the proteins, and their amino acids. You can get denaturation, cross linking, and other reactions.
The packaging it was kept in plays a very key role in this. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's beyond use, but wouldn't regard the gram count per scoop to be accurate either.

Creatine:
From what i've read over time heating of the solution of creatine within water will increase the solubility. However I havent the slightest clue as to whether heating the raw creatine initially would in any way be benificial. Keeping in mind that when the creatine solution i mentioned earlier is heated it has a tendency to convert to creatinine, which is energetically useless to muscle. so hopefully the same isnt true for the powder!!

Love to hear from one of the many chemists that usually offer a solution!

jon1235

Awards
thanks elementrip. I may just keep using it, just use rounded scoops instead of flat topped scoops. Anyone else?

panmerc

panmerc

Awards
I just googled it and couldnt find any scientific results. Some sites did say it can be denatured. Which basically means it molecules can be broke down, but if you get 30g of protein per scoop you should still get 30g per scoop.

As far as the creatine, I couldn't find anything to support. Sorry