Anyone use GABA?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
just wondering if anyone uses it? I am more interested in it from a sleep standpoint, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything beneficial from a muscle building aspect.

thanks

h19

GangstaJDog

Banned
Awards
You should first read about GABA and what it does besides what's posted on bodybuilding boards. I have a psychology book listing what GABA (a chemical in the brain) does when it's introduced at a toxic level and I will look at it and post later. I would not mess with this drug, if I'm correct, GABA is strictly an amino-acid within the brain and should not be toyed with.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
You should first read about GABA and what it does besides what's posted on bodybuilding boards. I have a psychology book listing what GABA (a chemical in the brain) does when it's introduced at a toxic level and I will look at it and post later. I would not mess with this drug, if I'm correct, GABA is strictly an amino-acid within the brain and should not be toyed with.

I have read...and from the reading I have done... up to 18 grams/day does not cause any toxicity..

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
Is GABA legal (because it is a pre-cursor), and is it on the pro-hormone list? I don't recall that it is considered a regulated substance, but just checking if anyone knows for sure (I'm ignorant).

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It definitely makes me sleepy, pretty quickly too. I've only used it a few times because the shortness of breath freaks me out. Make sure you start off with a low dose (.5-1gm) to get a feel for the sides - some people can take several grams without a problem, while some feel like they're on fire and suffocating from 1 gram.

just wondering if anyone uses it? I am more interested in it from a sleep standpoint, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything beneficial from a muscle building aspect.

thanks

h19

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
It definitely makes me sleepy, pretty quickly too. I've only used it a few times because the shortness of breath freaks me out. Make sure you start off with a low dose (.5-1gm) to get a feel for the sides - some people can take several grams without a problem, while some feel like they're on fire and suffocating from 1 gram.
If it can help out w/ insomnia, then sign me up, I'll guinea pig it ;)

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
If it can help out w/ insomnia, then sign me up, I'll guinea pig it ;)

thats what im saying...i just took some about an hour ago..or more even..the guy i work with gave me some of his...I believe he said 1 teaspoon is 3grams...I took a teaspoon and feel nothing...that could be due to the fact as i started to try to sleep i remembered all my bills and how i have a calc final that i will fail saturday..

but i think it should have worked regardless

i will try more another time

h19

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
GABA is legal, its not really a precursor. GNC & vitamin shoppe carry it.

I've been taking a gram a night along with 9-12mg melatonin for a month or so. I have bad insomnia & cannot sleep without the melatonin. I really havent noticed anything after adding GABA. Even 12mg with the GABA doesnt always work. Never tried it alone.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I think the brand of GABA matters also. A friend of mine at work turned me onto to it b/c he said it had helped him sleep at 1g and night..he switched brands and started taking 1 teaspoon of the new brand which is 3g..and he said it keeps him awake!!

Im thinking i will try the one BB.com is selling and use about 3-5 grams a night..melatonin works, but makes it hard for me to wake up b/c it takes so long to kick in

do you notice any weird dreams on it?

h19

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Never noticed any weird dreams on GABA or melatonin. I'd welcome it though, because that would mean I'm getting some deep sleep.

I noticed melatonin works faster if you let the tabs dissolve under your tongue before swallowing. It tastes like chalk & oven cleaner but its effective.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I just tried using 9mg melatonin, that worked rather well..

I actually had a crazy dream, about my upcoming M1t/4ad cycle. I dreamt I was in the hospital or something and they were doing some kind of treatment for my liver...I remember it involved draining some kind of fluid from it, and it hurt like a bitch..when they "did it" in my dream I would say owe or something and the docs would say thats a good sign..it was like a device that would stick some kind of large needle into my liver...All I know is I woke up like 2 am and i was like wtf??!!?!

that is a melatonin dream man...they are weird.

h19

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I cant take more than 1mg of melatonin or i wake up in the middle of the night..
Just started taking gaba from BB.com, first night i did about 2g (3/4 tsp) and had the rushing/shortness of breath feeling, it was cool :)
last night i only used about 1g and felt the same thing but to a more minor extent.
I also take about 500mg of magnesium every night, that always relaxes me and gets my mind to calm down, i highly reccomend magnesium every night if you have problems sleeping.

Also, i have read that if you take melatonin continously your body stops producing it..

Cheers.

Jay Mc

Awards
Is GABA legal (because it is a pre-cursor), and is it on the pro-hormone list? I don't recall that it is considered a regulated substance, but just checking if anyone knows for sure (I'm ignorant).
GABA is not a hormone or even prohormone to the best of my knowledge, its already bioactive as a nuerotransmitter as is.

J

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I think they say to take 3 grams of it. I have used it and it does make me sleepy. The problem I have with it is it seems to be very acidic. So I will take it and wake up with an upset stomach.
you take 9-12 mg of melontonin?

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
Bump on the upset stomach problem... also no effects on muscle that I noticed.

jaypee

Awards
GABA is worth every penny, because the dreams you will have when you sleep will never be more fucked up. Seriously, wacky, crazy dreams. You will wake up and go WTF!!!?!!?!

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I have a sensitive stomach so it might be just me. Anyway, good for sleeping but I don't think it does much for putting on muscle.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I think 1 tsp = a gram. That might be way it didn't do anything.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
The GABA I have used is 3 Grams = 1 tsp

enash

Awards
Need GABA, take 1 ml of pg-h subq before bed for two weeks. Sleep like a baby and watch the fat fly off ya. At least it does for me.