Supplements for a 100m/200m sprinter?

adz8916

Awards
Hey guys new to this forum and fairly new to sprinting. As I've seen my technique improve, I'm still looking to improve my strenght and speed even more.

What are good supplements to take?

I had in mind;

Protein Powder
Creatine
Glutamine
Amino Acids

But I believe these are more for the body builders than they are for sprinters? Creatine Monohydrate really dehydrated me before a track race and I was drinking gallons so that's out of the question in my opinion. I'm not sure what good Amino Acids will do, or protein powder itself, that's why I am asking.

Thanks!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys new to this forum and fairly new to sprinting. As I've seen my technique improve, I'm still looking to improve my strenght and speed even more.

What are good supplements to take?

I had in mind;

Protein Powder
Creatine
Glutamine
Amino Acids

But I believe these are more for the body builders than they are for sprinters? Creatine Monohydrate really dehydrated me before a track race and I was drinking gallons so that's out of the question in my opinion. I'm not sure what good Amino Acids will do, or protein powder itself, that's why I am asking.

Thanks!
As a sprinter, creatine is a definite supplement to be using, especially as sprinting is an anaerobic event; and if you are resistance training (as you should be) then it is, IMO, a definite requirement. Protein powder is fine to use to ensure that you're meeting your protein intake requirements. Amino acids can be useful. Glutamine I would not bother with, as studies are conflicted as to whether or not it has any benefits.

Other supplements that I recommend you use are a multivitamin and good fats (if you do not get them from your diet).

I do not recommend any other supplements, aside from perhaps a preworkout product, as you are new to both supplements and training.

If you are looking to increase your strength and speed, then you must be doing resistance training as well as sprint training, especially in the off-season. It is your spend time in the gym doing resistance training, that will increase your strength and power (provided that you are training correctly for it), which will in turn translate into explosiveness and speed.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rosie, you might point him to rms80's past comments on just this subject, involving rpm and drive.

adz8916

Awards
Well I heard supplements such as BCAA, RPM, Drive & body octane, but again I'll tell you that Creatine wasn't very good when I took it last. Really dehydrated me

What do you mean by resistance training?

Not new to training, been training for years like circuits and gym including football and boxing. Just fairly new, a few months, into sprinting.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey, bud, creatine does not dehydrate you. It increases your need for water temporarily. If you dehydrate, it's because you aren't drinking enough anyway. Basically creatine draaws water into the muscle fibers (a good thing); generally this lasts around 2 weeks, then tapers off to normality. It's common for those starting supplementation to gain 5-10lbs of lean body mass in those two weeks, accompanied by strength and recovery gains.

You are drinking a gallon of water a day, every day, right, training or not? Right? If so, you may have to increase you water intake a bit when you start creatine. Keep in mind that will subside after a bit.

I recommend something like body octane and cre02 for you, and or rpm. Cordyceps, creatine, beta alanine, citrulline are the ingredients to look for, and on top of that rpm would have good benefits.

At what level are you running? College? High school?

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
worry less about supplements and more about training. i would do deadlifts when you go to the gym. those really help my speed because they force your hamstrings to get stronger at a fast rate. i would honestly only use creatine. probably some nutraplanet bulk stuff because your only going to have to spend $2 a month on creatine monohydrate that way. to help recovery, just get 8 hours of sleep and eat a lot.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie, you might point him to rms80's past comments on just this subject, involving rpm and drive.
Two good supplements for a sprinter.

A few threads on RPM and Drive and sprinting:

* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/79054-sprinter-supplements.html
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/83513-sprinter-advice.html
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/applied-nutriceuticals/111960-products-use-college.html

Well I heard supplements such as BCAA, RPM, Drive & body octane, but again I'll tell you that Creatine wasn't very good when I took it last. Really dehydrated me

What do you mean by resistance training?

Not new to training, been training for years like circuits and gym including football and boxing. Just fairly new, a few months, into sprinting.
As poison said, creatine does NOT dehydrate you.

Resistance training = lifting weights. You should be concentrating on the power movements.

If you've only been sprinting for a few months then you should assess where you're at. Technique is still going to be very important to work on, as well as your starts. Depending on where you are at in your season (i.e. pre-season, in-season, off-season) will determine how you should be training and what you should be focusing on.

You do not have a coach? Your coach should have you on both track and resistance training programmes.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

adz8916

Awards
Hi sorry to bump this thread back up again but I've got more questions.

Basically performance comes first, looks come 2nd. But anyway my technique is developing which is good, but I'm still keen to get more power. I am going to keep on training hard but I believe that supplements DO help. So basically, if I'm looking for dense cut musclar legs then what supplements will support this along with my training?

Also what is a good exercise for the legs? I know burpee's, squat jumps and squat thrusts. These are hard enough with the sprint training alone, my legs are always feeling tired can I prevent this with extra protein or anything like that? I like to feel fresh and explosive but my muscles seem to take forever to recover.

The only supplements I have are;

Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin
Amino 1500
Creatine Monohydrate

Are these going to compliment my training that well? What's not worth taking and whats should I add? I don't want to go supplement crazy, I just want a few that are right for what I need.

I think I know RPM and Drive, similar to Body Octain and No Xplode?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Basically performance comes first, looks come 2nd. But anyway my technique is developing which is good, but I'm still keen to get more power. I am going to keep on training hard but I believe that supplements DO help. So basically, if I'm looking for dense cut musclar legs then what supplements will support this along with my training?

Also what is a good exercise for the legs? I know burpee's, squat jumps and squat thrusts. These are hard enough with the sprint training alone, my legs are always feeling tired can I prevent this with extra protein or anything like that? I like to feel fresh and explosive but my muscles seem to take forever to recover.

Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin
Amino 1500
Creatine Monohydrate

Are these going to compliment my training that well? What's not worth taking and whats should I add? I don't want to go supplement crazy, I just want a few that are right for what I need.

Before you ask more questions, how about you answer ours? What level are you running at? What level ofcoaching are you receiving? How old are you?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Cod Liver Oil
Multivitamin
Amino 1500
Creatine Monohydrate

If your performance comes first then you should have a sprint coach who has written you a programme for both on the track and in the gym!!!

If your legs are always feeling tired then you are either not fit enough for the training that you are doing, are overtraining, not doing the right training, or are not giving yourself enough recovery time. Having extra protein is not going to stop your legs feeling tired.

You have been given the information you need re supplements (READ the threads linked to in previous posts!) and I mentioned all that you need to use in post #2.

RPM and Drive are NOT like Body Octane and NO Xplode.

I highly suggest that you do some personal research of your own, now that you have been given all the tools and answers to your queries. Look around the boards. Check out some training logs. READ!

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

adz8916

Awards
I've looked on google but it all doesn't make much sense to me. This is why I joined a forum, surely that's what a forum is for? Discussing and explaining?

I wouldn't say I am fit enough but with the winter season coming up I should be fit and ready by next season. My CV is not too bad as I use to do a lot of 5k's in around 19 minutes but that is probably impossible right now as I haven't done any steady running in months.

I think my legs are probably tired because of the leg exercises I gave myself. Loads of squats, my legs always feel slightly tired the day after I do them.

Our sprint coach is one of the best, I know what to do when I get there but I'm looking for additional training like at home. One exercise I need to do is my hamstrings, always feeling tight even though I always warm up, stretch and warm down with stretching. The hamstring is one of the most neglected muscles in the body and I can see why... it's so difficult to strenghten!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've looked on google but it all doesn't make much sense to me. This is why I joined a forum, surely that's what a forum is for? Discussing and explaining?

I wouldn't say I am fit enough but with the winter season coming up I should be fit and ready by next season. My CV is not too bad as I use to do a lot of 5k's in around 19 minutes but that is probably impossible right now as I haven't done any steady running in months.

I think my legs are probably tired because of the leg exercises I gave myself. Loads of squats, my legs always feel slightly tired the day after I do them.

Our sprint coach is one of the best, I know what to do when I get there but I'm looking for additional training like at home. One exercise I need to do is my hamstrings, always feeling tight even though I always warm up, stretch and warm down with stretching. The hamstring is one of the most neglected muscles in the body and I can see why... it's so difficult to strenghten!
If you are serious about sprinting and have a coach who has already given you a programme then you doing things above and beyond your programme is going to be detrimental to your performance (not to mention showing that you have little faith in the training programme that your coach has given you). If you have a good coach and they are indeed "one of the best" then you should NOT need to do extra training, as the programme they have given you should cover ALL aspects of your training, from on the track to resistance work to recovery to nutrition, etc. A good coach should also explain to you WHY they have given you the programme that they have, so that you understand what you are doing and how it is going to help your performance.

Has your coach told you that you need to strengthen your hamstrings? As your coach they should know all about you, your weaknesses, strengths, etc. Hamstrings are easy enough to strengthen, and as a sprinter a lot of your track training works them very hard.

I suggest that you sit down and talk to your coach, as it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing and don't think he does either. If it comes down to it, then you may need to get a new coach. If you do, then you should not be looking elsewhere either; too many cooks does not a good recipe make!

~Rosie
Team APPNUT