Why isnt casein protein cheaper?

jamjoe

Awards
Something I've always wondered: Since milk protein is 80% casein, why isn't casein protein cheaper than whey protien?

steam

steam

Awards
  • Established
casein by itself is not too costly but all the better ones use micellar casein...which is the premium goodie and costs more...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Been wondering this myself...if milk prices are crashing, then why aren't whey, casein etc prices following suit??? Mostly because companies LIKE charging $12-15 per pound and have no real reason to change methinks.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe Whey is cheaper since it is a byproduct of manufacturing of dairy products that just need casein i.e. cheese.

I have noticed a slight decrease in whey prices; the rise and fall of commodity prices sometimes have a time lag. I never studied business but I do read the economist and I've seen this mentioned in reference to a few other industries. A good person to ask would be someone at TP or ATW.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
For clarification...I was talking about the big MSM protein companies like Muscle Milk, ON etc. They don't seem to be lowering their prices in tune with milk prices per se.

A lag in prices for whey/casein would indeed make sense, but it seems like whey should have fallen by now. Dairies are going out of business left and right across the country.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
For clarification...I was talking about the big MSM protein companies like Muscle Milk, ON etc. They don't seem to be lowering their prices in tune with milk prices per se.
We just dropped the price of MM where I work by about 2 bucks. ON hasn't changed yet...