painfull knees

hammerdn

Awards
I have been jogging here lately, each week I try to go a little further I'm up to 3 miles and now my knees are starting to hurt. I'm 32 and not more then 20lbs over weight, I haven't jogged in a few years but I have never had this kind of pain before. Is there a supplement or something I can take for this??

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I have been jogging here lately, each week I try to go a little further I'm up to 3 miles and now my knees are starting to hurt. I'm 32 and not more then 20lbs over weight, I haven't jogged in a few years but I have never had this kind of pain before. Is there a supplement or something I can take for this??
Do you jog on concrete? When was the last time you got a new pair of shoes?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I would try jogging on a high school track, and find a running store that looks at your feet and arch and then picks out a shoe that fits your actual foot. You may end up spending 80-120 dollars for a pair of running shoes, but you will thank them later. I hated running because my legs, back, knee's would hurt, after I did this I started running 3-5 miles at a time with no pain.

jamjoe

Awards
find a running store that looks at your feet and arch and then picks out a shoe that fits your actual foot. You may end up spending 80-120 dollars for a pair of running shoes, but you will thank them later. I hated running because my legs, back, knee's would hurt, after I did this I started running 3-5 miles at a time with no pain.
I second this. It's worth spending the extra money on good running shoes to keep from damaging your joints. Supplements like fish oil, cissus, and glucosamine will help, but better to cure the problem than to just treat it.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
if you havent been exercising then it could be tendonitis try doing some exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles around the knee and as suggested get a good pair of running shoes as for supplements super cissus worked real good for me I used to have shoulder problems and patella tendonitis with some good exercises and time I have no problems

jim623

Looks like everyone is leading you in the right direction, shoes are key.
There's a place here called Tri-running, it's a chain so you may have one local, it's an excellent place to get your shoes. They'll put 2 different shoes on your feet, see which one you like best, then swap the one you didn't choose with another, and so on until you find the perfect pair.

hammerdn

Awards
DING!DING, I think you guys are right -shoes-. I have thought this myself. Im running in an every day regular pair of New Balance tennis shoe because I did not think I would stick to running this long because I didn't think I could kick the light smoking habbit I had, but I did.. I'm going to stop by the sports store today and get me running shoes, I should have known better..

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
It happens to me and im in my teens if i dont play basketball for a week then my knees hurt alot the first few hours then after about my sixth hour of playing it gets better but i think its from you not working out in so long or weak knees or not taking supplements but what do i know

jim623

DING!DING, I think you guys are right -shoes-. I have thought this myself. Im running in an every day regular pair of New Balance tennis shoe because I did not think I would stick to running this long because I didn't think I could kick the light smoking habbit I had, but I did.. I'm going to stop by the sports store today and get me running shoes, I should have known better..
Look into something with a low heal to prevent shin splints, soft heal to absorb impact.

My fav is the Asics, Nimbus 8.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
don't get just any pair of running shoes.....the way they fit is imperative to comfort when running....they may feel good on now...but when you run a mile or two they can hurt like hell!!! Find a place that will actually fit your foot to a shoe...this is the key to being comfortable while running. You might end up wasting a wad of money on a pair of running shoes that isn't even for your foot!

khiladi

khiladi

Awards
Absolutely look into a good pair of running shoes, if you can, try to get them customized. Also from experience with many years of soccer, the body adapts very quickly, i have had to switch shoes & cleats to adjust to the body's needs. Get a pair of knee wraps that breath for extra support during your running sessions, use some kind of a pain cream like bengay etc., i use aspercreme and blue emu, before and after. Stretching is key, there is an exercise that is extremely beneficial for the knees, have you ever seen the Muslim community pray in a seated position on their knees, take note of that, it is also a yoga movement, start off for a couple of minutes and work your way up...for supps. super cissus and zyflamend and fish oil, is what i use now. Gd luck!

hammerdn

Awards
Went and got a new pair of shoes and ran yesterday the shoes made a big differance, but today my knees still hurt like hell. I do stretch but probably not enough, guess I could try more. I'm wondering if I should keep pushing through the pain and keep running (that's what I want to do) or start running on the treadmill etc. at the gym. The last thing I want to do is blow my knees out...

jamjoe

Awards
Absolutely look into a good pair of running shoes, if you can, try to get them customized. Also from experience with many years of soccer, the body adapts very quickly, i have had to switch shoes & cleats to adjust to the body's needs. Get a pair of knee wraps that breath for extra support during your running sessions, use some kind of a pain cream like bengay etc., i use aspercreme and blue emu, before and after. Stretching is key, there is an exercise that is extremely beneficial for the knees, have you ever seen the Muslim community pray in a seated position on their knees, take note of that, it is also a yoga movement, start off for a couple of minutes and work your way up...for supps. super cissus and zyflamend and fish oil, is what i use now. Gd luck!
A lot of good advice here. ^

Are you running everyday? You could mix it up a bit to give your knees a chance to adapt. You could try using the stationary bike at the gym some days. This will keep your cardio up and not hurt your knees as much. Swimming is also great because there is zero impact on your joints. The last thing to remember is that as you lose weight (if thats your goal) there will be less pressure on your knees.

jim623

Went and got a new pair of shoes and ran yesterday the shoes made a big differance, but today my knees still hurt like hell. I do stretch but probably not enough, guess I could try more. I'm wondering if I should keep pushing through the pain and keep running (that's what I want to do) or start running on the treadmill etc. at the gym. The last thing I want to do is blow my knees out...
I know this is time consuming but you should actually do about a 10 minute warmup,(walk or a snails pace jog) then stretch. Then of course, the 10 minute cool down.

hammerdn

Awards
I think I'll try stretching extra today and do a warm up fast walk before I start jogging. I have noticed that half way through my jog I dont notice my knees as much, I just figured I was more occupied with breathing and keeping the sweat out of my eyes, LOL.. I tend to agree, I think they will toughen up over time and adapt.