Advice needed for track cycling

THOR4LIFE

Awards
Hello, looking for some supplment advice. First off, I am not a body builder. But I am highly interested in supplments to help me go faster. I'm a track cyclist. A sprinter. My efforts are 10-20sec of pure 100% effort, all with fast twich.

Anyways, main thing is trying to get the legs to produce more power with gaining as little weight as possible. My diet is about as good as I can afford, and I train anywhere from 3-6 times a week, depending on what we are working on.

I'm already on createne (with some very nice reuslts) and LOTS of protein. Looking to add:

RPM
Drive
Beta-Alanine

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anything is more than welcome :)

Thanks in advanced,
Kevin

brock17cf

Awards
The biggest addition is beta al. It helps fast twitch fibers almost exclusively, because it makes carnosine. When there is preferential growth with the fast twitch fibers, your body weight : power ratio increases.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello, looking for some supplment advice. First off, I am not a body builder. But I am highly interested in supplments to help me go faster. I'm a track cyclist. A sprinter. My efforts are 10-20sec of pure 100% effort, all with fast twich.

Anyways, main thing is trying to get the legs to produce more power with gaining as little weight as possible. My diet is about as good as I can afford, and I train anywhere from 3-6 times a week, depending on what we are working on.

I'm already on createne (with some very nice reuslts) and LOTS of protein. Looking to add:

RPM
Drive
Beta-Alanine

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anything is more than welcome :)

Thanks in advanced,
Kevin
I was a track sprint cyclist (I did 11.6 in 88.2 for the 200m as a Junior; I used nothing but a multivitamin and an antioxidant when I was cycling competitively).

Your power is going to come from training for power. You need to do lots of explosive work both on the bike and in the gym. Using a supplement is not necessarily going to give you more power and/or speed.

Something that will help improve your sprinting is to do sprints in a much larger gear than you would normally. You will be slower sometimes (to start with, at least) and cadence will be slower. However, once you go to your racing gear (which should be lower) then you should be able to have a faster cadence and shorter wind-up time, and therefore be faster.

Doing a lot of motorpacing at very high speeds for 500s and pursuits will also aid in this. You need to train unconventionally for power/speed as a sprinter.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

rob501

Awards
The biggest addition is beta al. It helps fast twitch fibers almost exclusively, because it makes carnosine. When there is preferential growth with the fast twitch fibers, your body weight : power ratio increases.
Not trying to be an ass here but I think you meant power to body weight ratio

THOR4LIFE

Awards
Training isnt an issue. Training with one of the best guys in the biz. But you can only train so much and still recover. Looking for something to just help the fast twitch out.

So, Beta al would be the most helpful? Still hoping to get some thoughts on RPM. I'm a little skeptical on Drive.

My thought proses is this: Anything that will help the body produce more than its normal amount of ATP is going to be good. Same thing with something that will buffer LT. That will help keep the power from dropping off as rapidly.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training isnt an issue. Training with one of the best guys in the biz. But you can only train so much and still recover. Looking for something to just help the fast twitch out.

So, Beta al would be the most helpful? Still hoping to get some thoughts on RPM. I'm a little skeptical on Drive.

My thought proses is this: Anything that will help the body produce more than its normal amount of ATP is going to be good. Same thing with something that will buffer LT. That will help keep the power from dropping off as rapidly.
Theory does not always translate to real world practice.

Supplements/products that will help with ATP and lactic acid buffering:
* Creatine;
* Products that maximize carbohydrate availability during exercise;
* Iron supplements, since iron is an important part of haemoglobin, and haemoglobin affects oxygen transport ion the body, and the better your body is able to transport oxygen the less lactic acid you should have at anaerobic exercise intensities;
* Anything that increases either red blood cell mass or arterial haemoglobin;
* The two most common lactic acid buffering solutions are sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate.

A few other suggestions that will help:
* Increase your lactate threshold;
* Increase your VO2max.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Theory does not always translate to real world practice.

Supplements/products that will help with ATP and lactic acid buffering:
* Creatine;
* Products that maximize carbohydrate availability during exercise;
* Iron supplements, since iron is an important part of haemoglobin, and haemoglobin affects oxygen transport ion the body, and the better your body is able to transport oxygen the less lactic acid you should have at anaerobic exercise intensities;
* Anything that increases either red blood cell mass or arterial haemoglobin;
* The two most common lactic acid buffering solutions are sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate.

A few other suggestions that will help:
* Increase your lactate threshold;
* Increase your VO2max.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
A product that maximizes carbohydrate availability during exercise...
Would that be something like Glycobol? I've always been a bit mystified when it comes to products like Glycobol and Anabolic Pump, in regards to physical performance.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A product that maximizes carbohydrate availability during exercise...
Would that be something like Glycobol? I've always been a bit mystified when it comes to products like Glycobol and Anabolic Pump, in regards to physical performance.
Products like Glycobol and Anabolic Pump are insulin mimics. As said in the Anabolic Pump write-up such products "works like insulin by increasing the uptake of glucose in muscle tissue; forcing the muscle fibers to become supersaturated with blood sugar and replenishing the glycogen stores and "refueling" your hard trained muscles". You would need to ensure that you had enough carbohydrate there for them to work effectively; otherwise you would be wasting your time. They are not designed for "physical performance" per se, but more for "recovery".

A product that works as a creatine and nutrient repartitioner would be effective for an anaerobic athlete (provided that their pre-training/racing and intra-training/racing nutrition was right). NeoVar Recomped and Cre-02 are two such examples.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT