confused on which brand of alpha lipoic acid to use

1. Registered User

confused on which brand of alpha lipoic acid to use

This is my first time using ALA and I want to use the best but I am
    a little cofused about which brand to use and which form is better.
    One brand I am looking at is Primaforce ALA at 300 mg per cap at 180caps
    per jar then there is AST 200 mg per cap at 90caps per jar and this is R-ALA
    and then there is Syntrax 90 caps at 100mg of R- ALA has anyone had any
    experience with these ALA supplements and which one is the best and I am
    thinking of dosing 1 cap with preworkout shake 1cap with post shake 1cap
    with lunch and 1cap with dinner does that sound right for dosing and I will
    be having carbs with each of the shakes and meals. Any imput will be
    appreciated thank you in advance.

2. Registered User

Prefer Na-RALA (Sodium R-Lipoate). It is currently the most stable, most bioavailable, and most potent alpha lipoic acid form available. Alternatively, look for R-Dihydrolipoic Acid (R-DHLA). It is the reduced form of R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA), the active R(+) enantiomer or eutomer of (Alpha) Lipoc Acid. Oxidization of R-LA produces R-DHLA, making R-LA and R-DHLA a so-called redox couple. However, most of the important properties of R-LA are due to R-DHLA.
    The regular, racemic form containing both the R(+) (R-Lipoic Acid) and S(-) (S-Lipoic Acid) enantiomers in a 50/50 ratio is the least desirable form.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  3. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Prefer Na-RALA (Sodium R-Lipoate). It is currently the most stable, most bioavailable, and most potent alpha lipoic acid form available. Alternatively, look for R-Dihydrolipoic Acid (R-DHLA). It is the reduced form of R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA), the active R(+) enantiomer or eutomer of (Alpha) Lipoc Acid. Oxidization of R-LA produces R-DHLA, making R-LA and R-DHLA a so-called redox couple. However, most of the important properties of R-LA are due to R-DHLA.
    The regular, racemic form containing both the R(+) (R-Lipoic Acid) and S(-) (S-Lipoic Acid) enantiomers in a 50/50 ratio is the least desirable form.
    Please, if you would, elaborate on the characteristics to these varieties, and why I would want to use either. Aside from being "potent" what properties do either R-ALA or Na-RALA have that cannot be produce with a greater volume of plain ALA.

I use Alpha Lipoic Acid Caps (100 caps/300 mg) Manufactured By: NutraPlanet for it's antioxidant properties and it's cost effectiveness.
    •   

4. Registered User

If Na-Rala is the better version of ALA what are the brands that sell it so I can look into
    it.
  5. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    Please, if you would, elaborate on the characteristics to these varieties, and why I would want to use either. Aside from being "potent" what properties do either R-ALA or Na-RALA have that cannot be produce with a greater volume of plain ALA.....
    Great question! The benefits of lipoic acid supplementation are well known, so I will concentrate on why the S-enantiomer is highly undesirable on its own and how it may even inhibit the action of the R-enantiomer.

As I mentioned earlier, standard alpha lipoic acid (what you described as plain ALA) is usually 50% nautral (R-Lipoic Acid or R-LA) and 50% unnatural (S-Lipoic Acid or S-LA). S-LA, being an unnatural lipoic acid form, is not only poorly absorbed in the body, but may also constrain natural lipoic acid (R-LA) from eliciting its most important properties. In particular, S-LA inhibits the pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) enzyme, a mitochondrial enzyme involved in the regulation of glucose metabolism. This leads to mitochondrial dysfunction as the TCA (Krebs) Cycle, an important process in the mitochondria and responsible for producing most of cellular ATP, may be disrupted. This is so because the production of ATP requires the chemical conversion of pyruvate molecules into carbon dioxide, water, and ATP. The main enzyme responsible for the breakdown of pyruvate is pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH). Although two other enzymes (dihydrolipoyl transacetylase and deihydrolipoyl dehydrogenase) and five coenzymes (TPP, lipoic acid, FAD+, NAD+, and CoA) are needed in this process, without PDH the process will break down.

Apart from PDH inhibition, S-LA in high amounts can hinder mitochondrial action through a structural limitation. As is well known, alpha lipoic acid's role in ATP synthesis also requires that it binds with key enzymes in the mitochondria. However, S-LA's unnatural form inhibits its ability to bind to these mitochondrial enzymes, leading to a compromise of ATP production. Furthermore, and still on ATP, ATP production in the presence of R-LA and S-LA may be limited through another mechanism. In particular, ALA seeks to permeate the inner membrane of the mitochondria to positively influence ATP production. This function, however, may be hindered due to S-LA metabolization in the outer cellular membrane, leading to a structural weakening of the R-enantiomer.

Furthermore, S-LA may inhibit the action of R-LA by competitively inhibiting the bioactivity of transcription factors and signalling proteins. Beyond this, S-LA increases HbA1c levels, where HbA1c is a specific type of hemoglobin A, a binding site for glucose. Still on glucose metabolism, S-LA reduces the cellular expression of GLUT-4 proteins, negatively impacting glucose disposal.

The above is why R-LA, D-HLA, or Na-RALA, is strongly preferred to S-LA or plain ALA (mixture of R-LA and S-LA).

R-ALA and Na-RALA are more effective that plain ALA because they do not have the S-enantiomer. Compared to Na-RALA, however, R-LA is more unstable, has poorer solubility and absorption, and is consequently less bioavailable. Na-RALA, however, is a highly aqueous soluble, heat stable and extremely low polymer salt of R-LA. It is by far the most bioactive lipoic acid form currently available.

So, Na-RALA should be preferred. Then R-LA/D-HLA. Plain ALA, of course, is an option, but hardly compares to R-LA and Na-RALA.
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by totalpackage View Post
    If Na-Rala is the better version of ALA what are the brands that sell it so I can look into
    it.
    Check out B5150's NutraPlanet link in his post. It is by far the best deal around. You might even consider the bulk Na-RALA powder at NutraPlanet and capsule it based on your dosing preference.
  8. Registered User

Thank you for the info and I also noticed that SAN also makes Na-R-ala so thats also
    an alternative.
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by totalpackage View Post
    Thank you for the info and I also noticed that SAN also makes Na-R-ala so thats also
    an alternative.
    Buy bulk Na-RALA powder at NutraPlanet and capsule it. Best value for money far and wide.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 06:07 AM
  2. ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) ...
    By Fat6 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
  3. Alpha Lipoic Acid
    By crazyfool405 in forum Supplements