confused on which brand of alpha lipoic acid to use

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is my first time using ALA and I want to use the best but I am
a little cofused about which brand to use and which form is better.
One brand I am looking at is Primaforce ALA at 300 mg per cap at 180caps
per jar then there is AST 200 mg per cap at 90caps per jar and this is R-ALA
and then there is Syntrax 90 caps at 100mg of R- ALA has anyone had any
experience with these ALA supplements and which one is the best and I am
thinking of dosing 1 cap with preworkout shake 1cap with post shake 1cap
with lunch and 1cap with dinner does that sound right for dosing and I will
be having carbs with each of the shakes and meals. Any imput will be
appreciated thank you in advance.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prefer Na-RALA (Sodium R-Lipoate). It is currently the most stable, most bioavailable, and most potent alpha lipoic acid form available. Alternatively, look for R-Dihydrolipoic Acid (R-DHLA). It is the reduced form of R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA), the active R(+) enantiomer or eutomer of (Alpha) Lipoc Acid. Oxidization of R-LA produces R-DHLA, making R-LA and R-DHLA a so-called redox couple. However, most of the important properties of R-LA are due to R-DHLA.
The regular, racemic form containing both the R(+) (R-Lipoic Acid) and S(-) (S-Lipoic Acid) enantiomers in a 50/50 ratio is the least desirable form.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prefer Na-RALA (Sodium R-Lipoate). It is currently the most stable, most bioavailable, and most potent alpha lipoic acid form available. Alternatively, look for R-Dihydrolipoic Acid (R-DHLA). It is the reduced form of R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA), the active R(+) enantiomer or eutomer of (Alpha) Lipoc Acid. Oxidization of R-LA produces R-DHLA, making R-LA and R-DHLA a so-called redox couple. However, most of the important properties of R-LA are due to R-DHLA.
The regular, racemic form containing both the R(+) (R-Lipoic Acid) and S(-) (S-Lipoic Acid) enantiomers in a 50/50 ratio is the least desirable form.
Please, if you would, elaborate on the characteristics to these varieties, and why I would want to use either. Aside from being "potent" what properties do either R-ALA or Na-RALA have that cannot be produce with a greater volume of plain ALA.

I use Alpha Lipoic Acid Caps (100 caps/300 mg) Manufactured By: NutraPlanet for it's antioxidant properties and it's cost effectiveness.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If Na-Rala is the better version of ALA what are the brands that sell it so I can look into
it.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please, if you would, elaborate on the characteristics to these varieties, and why I would want to use either. Aside from being "potent" what properties do either R-ALA or Na-RALA have that cannot be produce with a greater volume of plain ALA.....
Great question! The benefits of lipoic acid supplementation are well known, so I will concentrate on why the S-enantiomer is highly undesirable on its own and how it may even inhibit the action of the R-enantiomer.

As I mentioned earlier, standard alpha lipoic acid (what you described as plain ALA) is usually 50% nautral (R-Lipoic Acid or R-LA) and 50% unnatural (S-Lipoic Acid or S-LA). S-LA, being an unnatural lipoic acid form, is not only poorly absorbed in the body, but may also constrain natural lipoic acid (R-LA) from eliciting its most important properties. In particular, S-LA inhibits the pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) enzyme, a mitochondrial enzyme involved in the regulation of glucose metabolism. This leads to mitochondrial dysfunction as the TCA (Krebs) Cycle, an important process in the mitochondria and responsible for producing most of cellular ATP, may be disrupted. This is so because the production of ATP requires the chemical conversion of pyruvate molecules into carbon dioxide, water, and ATP. The main enzyme responsible for the breakdown of pyruvate is pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH). Although two other enzymes (dihydrolipoyl transacetylase and deihydrolipoyl dehydrogenase) and five coenzymes (TPP, lipoic acid, FAD+, NAD+, and CoA) are needed in this process, without PDH the process will break down.

Apart from PDH inhibition, S-LA in high amounts can hinder mitochondrial action through a structural limitation. As is well known, alpha lipoic acid's role in ATP synthesis also requires that it binds with key enzymes in the mitochondria. However, S-LA's unnatural form inhibits its ability to bind to these mitochondrial enzymes, leading to a compromise of ATP production. Furthermore, and still on ATP, ATP production in the presence of R-LA and S-LA may be limited through another mechanism. In particular, ALA seeks to permeate the inner membrane of the mitochondria to positively influence ATP production. This function, however, may be hindered due to S-LA metabolization in the outer cellular membrane, leading to a structural weakening of the R-enantiomer.

Furthermore, S-LA may inhibit the action of R-LA by competitively inhibiting the bioactivity of transcription factors and signalling proteins. Beyond this, S-LA increases HbA1c levels, where HbA1c is a specific type of hemoglobin A, a binding site for glucose. Still on glucose metabolism, S-LA reduces the cellular expression of GLUT-4 proteins, negatively impacting glucose disposal.

The above is why R-LA, D-HLA, or Na-RALA, is strongly preferred to S-LA or plain ALA (mixture of R-LA and S-LA).

R-ALA and Na-RALA are more effective that plain ALA because they do not have the S-enantiomer. Compared to Na-RALA, however, R-LA is more unstable, has poorer solubility and absorption, and is consequently less bioavailable. Na-RALA, however, is a highly aqueous soluble, heat stable and extremely low polymer salt of R-LA. It is by far the most bioactive lipoic acid form currently available.

So, Na-RALA should be preferred. Then R-LA/D-HLA. Plain ALA, of course, is an option, but hardly compares to R-LA and Na-RALA.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If Na-Rala is the better version of ALA what are the brands that sell it so I can look into
it.
Check out B5150's NutraPlanet link in his post. It is by far the best deal around. You might even consider the bulk Na-RALA powder at NutraPlanet and capsule it based on your dosing preference.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you for the info and I also noticed that SAN also makes Na-R-ala so thats also
an alternative.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you for the info and I also noticed that SAN also makes Na-R-ala so thats also
an alternative.
Buy bulk Na-RALA powder at NutraPlanet and capsule it. Best value for money far and wide.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Try it just as a powder and one finds a way fast.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It burns.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How does one "capsule" up powder themselves? Is there a guide that you could link me to please?
Google capsule machine. I bought one years ago for $50. NOW foods also makes empty caps

CT21

Awards
Buying bulk Na-rala or ka-rala(potassium bond) will definately be your best benefit to cost ratio but if your lazy or dont have time to cap 100s of pills then there are a few brands that sell it capped already...

Doctors Best Na-rala
Allmax Nutrition R+ala
SAN Na-rala

And OP uf your using it for your nutrient partitioning effects as well as antioxidants look into Performax labs Slinmax. Its a Comprehensive GDA formula with great antioxidant and insulin sensitizing properties.