White Tea: Solution To Obesity Epidemic?

1. Registered User
    Answers

ScienceDaily (May 7, 2009) — Possible anti-obesity effects of white tea have been demonstrated in a series of experiments on human fat cells (adipocytes). Researchers have now shown that an extract of the herbal brew effectively inhibits the generation of new adipocytes and stimulates fat mobilization from mature fat cells.

Marc Winnefeld led a team of researchers from Beiersdorf AG, Germany, who studied the biological effects of an extract of white tea – the least processed version of the tea plant Camellia sinensis. He said, "In the industrialized countries, the rising incidence of obesity-associated disorders including cardiovascular diseases and diabetes constitutes a growing problem. We've shown that white tea may be an ideal natural source of slimming substances".

After treating lab-cultured human pre-adipocytes with the tea extract, the authors found that fat incorporation during the genesis of new adipocytes was reduced. According to Winnefeld, "The extract solution induced a decrease in the expression of genes associated with the growth of new fat cells, while also prompting existing adipocytes to break down the fat they contain".

White tea is made from the buds and first leaves of the plant used to make green tea and the black tea most commonly drunk in Western countries. It is less processed than the other teas and contains more of the ingredients thought to be active on human cells, such as methylxanthines (like caffeine) and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) – which the authors believe to be responsible for many of the anti-adipogenic effects demonstrated in their study.

Journal reference:

1. Jörn Söhle, Anja Knott, Ursula Holtzmann, Ralf Siegner, Elke Grönniger, Andreas Schepky, Stefan Gallinat, Horst Wenck, Franz Stäb and Marc Winnefeld. White Tea extract induces lipolytic activity and inhibits adipogenesis in human subcutaneous (pre)-adipocytes. Nutrition & Metabolism, (in press)

Adapted from materials provided by Nutrition and Metabolism, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Never knew white tea contained more caffeine and EGCG
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Never knew white tea contained more caffeine and EGCG
    From the things I have read online, its a bit conflicting about the caffeine part.
    It seems like 90 percent says that white tea does not have more caffeine over green tea.

"White tea often contains buds and young tea leaves, which have been found to contain higher levels of caffeine than older leaves, suggesting that the caffeine content of some white teas may be slightly higher than that of green teas."

So I am guessing as long as the tea leaves are young/buds, we end up getting more caffeine vs. green tea.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

I have solved the obesity issue. Don't let them eat, and give them physical labor jobs.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I have solved the obesity issue. Don't let them eat, and give them physical labor jobs.
    That would work!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I think it's funny that so many people (average joes, not people on this board) act like this is some complex problem that requires a complex solution.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    Agreed!
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I think it's funny that so many people (average joes, not people on this board) act like this is some complex problem that requires a complex solution.
    Agree and disagree

Dr. Steven Blair has been doing research on those that exercise and eat well, while still holding fat levels above the what is considered healthy ( He uses the principle "fit but fat" )

Genetics play a role in where and how much fat certain individuals may be able to maintain, on the lower end. And of course medical issues, especially those that have not been diagnosed. (don't get me wrong I make no excuses for all those fatties that basically started this whole health care crisis)

I do agree with you though, in general, average joes do see it has a complex problem needing a complex solution.

Here is a research article:
    nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/20
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Genetics plays a role but its not a major factor. Just another excuse for fatties. I'm at 12% body fat and the rest of the males in my family are near or over 300lbs. I have bad genes.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

I agree, my point is that people who are predisposed to having a higher level of bodyfat because of their genetics will have a lot harder time reaching a lower level of bodyfat and a even harder time maintaining a low bodyfat level. It can be done, but most people do not take the time to educate themselves or have the devotion to stick with a program.

I am still waiting for the fat tax to go into place.................
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

The first thing they should do is get the soda machines out of the schools.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN View Post
    The first thing they should do is get the soda machines out of the schools.
    Indeed. As well as stop serving half the food they do, which is cheap government leftovers barely qualifying for human consumption.

Honestly genetics play a role in a person who is more stout, or bigger, but when you have layers, its just laziness. I can tell a person with bigger genetics, and a person who just cant put down the damn whopper. 90% of fat people, just cant put down the damn whopper.

Its part of the "Instant gratification" mindset taught to Americans. It tastes good, feels good, so eat it!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2 View Post
    Genetics plays a role but its not a major factor. Just another excuse for fatties. I'm at 12% body fat and the rest of the males in my family are near or over 300lbs. I have bad genes.
    if you are trying to get to <5% bodyfat with some serious muscle naturally, then genetics I'd say play a pivotal role.

if you are just trying to look better than the average piggy, then genetics are an absolute non-issue.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
  2. America's Obesity Epidemic - Please Help
    By dotyfish in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
  3. Overeating to blame for U.S. obesity epidemic
    By EasyEJL in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM