Cholesterol supp dosing- help

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So gonna get these:

Red Yeast Rice (1.2g/pill) - ???? SHould i even get this since the active ingredient isnt even in it any more? :facepalm:

Niacin 500 mg (100 tabs) - 1g/day

Whole Psyllium Husk - 3g w/ each meal

Policosanol (20 mg/90 Vcaps)- ???

Grape Seed (100mg/100 vcaps)- ???

Thanks

Korben

Korben

Awards
one the only thing on your list proven to work is Niacin and I am sure that is not the Rx. If your cholesterol is high GO TO YOUR DOC AND GET A STATIN. Cholesterol is a serious problem, please take it seriously and get proven medication.

GodofWine

GodofWine

Awards
RYR - ? hard call, people still say it works, but Im like you and am confused on this one since its either been robbed of its active, or lowered in content, but I cannot get a clear answer.

Niacin - ramp up, the niacin flush is no joke! (I took 500mg on day one and looked like a red itchy lobster) I had to open caps to take 250mg for a few days then moved up from there.

Psyllium looks good to me.

How long will you follow this protocol until your next test? Im interested in the results.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
one the only thing on your list proven to work is Niacin and I am sure that is not the Rx. If your cholesterol is high GO TO YOUR DOC AND GET A STATIN. Cholesterol is a serious problem, please take it seriously and get proven medication.
Im young, i dont want to be on statin drugs for the rest of my life if i can combat it OTC. Im only gonna do this routine for 2 months then if it isnt helping will go on prescription drugs...

RYR - ? hard call, people still say it works, but Im like you and am confused on this one since its either been robbed of its active, or lowered in content, but I cannot get a clear answer.

Niacin - ramp up, the niacin flush is no joke! (I took 500mg on day one and looked like a red itchy lobster) I had to open caps to take 250mg for a few days then moved up from there.

Psyllium looks good to me.

How long will you follow this protocol until your next test? Im interested in the results.
Im gonna run this for 1.5 months then go get my chol. tested again. I want to see if i can combat my high cholesterol with OTC supps that dont rape my liver before i go on statin drugs for LIFE...

Korben

Korben

Awards
There is a very low probability that any liver damage could come of statin therapy...

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a very low probability that any liver damage could come of statin therapy...
Maybe I jsut dont want to be dependent on a prescription drug the rest of my life...?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

rd061509

Awards
So gonna get these:

Red Yeast Rice (1.2g/pill) - ???? SHould i even get this since the active ingredient isnt even in it any more? :facepalm:

Niacin 500 mg (100 tabs) - 1g/day

Whole Psyllium Husk - 3g w/ each meal

Policosanol (20 mg/90 Vcaps)- ???

Grape Seed (100mg/100 vcaps)- ???

Thanks
My doc recommended a statin (Lipitor) as a result of high cholesterol and a family history of heart disease. I also wanted to avoid the prescription drug route, and after considerable research I opted for the following program instead:

- time release niacin (500 mg three times per day with meals for a total of 1,500 mg per day; the niacin must be nicotinic acid as the no flush kind does not work);
- phytosterols (450 mg before meals);
- Vitamin D (6,000 IUs daily; must be Vitamin D3, cholecalciferol, in gel cap form); and
- Fish Oil (1,500 mg daily).

I discussed all of this with my doc before starting, and he was initially skeptical that it would make much of a difference. He told me that we could give it a try, but he expected that I'd ultimately end up on Lipitor. After three months on the program, my cholesterol levels improved dramatically. My LDL (ie, bad cholesterol) decreased from 179 to 62 and my HDL (ie, good cholesterol) increased from 40 to 63. Various other markers for heart disease (eg, Lipoprotein(a), C reactive protein, etc.) also improved.

With respect to the niacin, I use Enduracin, which is sold by a company called Endurance Products (you can find their website by running a Google search). They also sell immediate release phytosterols. I considered Niaspan (my doc was willing to prescribe it and my insurance would pay for it), but based on my research Enduracin looked to be the better product.

Notwithstanding that you do not need a prescription for any of these products, I would not recommend following this sort of program unless you are doing so under the supervision of a doctor. In particular, high doses of niacin can cause liver damage and have a negative impact on blood sugar levels. I have blood tests run every three months
and have not had any problems, but one does have to be careful when taking doses this high.

There are a couple of good books on using niacin to treat cholesterol levels which you may want to read. They are (1) The New Eight Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski and (2) Cholesterol Control Without Diet, The Niacin Solution by William Parsons. You can find both books on Amazon.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Have you looked into the nutrition side of things?

I know people who have improved cholesterol as well high high blood pressure, triglycerides etc. by going on a diet very similiar to Atkins.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My doc recommended a statin (Lipitor) as a result of high cholesterol and a family history of heart disease. I also wanted to avoid the prescription drug route, and after considerable research I opted for the following program instead:

- time release niacin (500 mg three times per day with meals for a total of 1,500 mg per day; the niacin must be nicotinic acid as the no flush kind does not work);
- phytosterols (450 mg before meals);
- Vitamin D (6,000 IUs daily; must be Vitamin D3, cholecalciferol, in gel cap form); and
- Fish Oil (1,500 mg daily).

I discussed all of this with my doc before starting, and he was initially skeptical that it would make much of a difference. He told me that we could give it a try, but he expected that I'd ultimately end up on Lipitor. After three months on the program, my cholesterol levels improved dramatically. My LDL (ie, bad cholesterol) decreased from 179 to 62 and my HDL (ie, good cholesterol) increased from 40 to 63. Various other markers for heart disease (eg, Lipoprotein(a), C reactive protein, etc.) also improved.

With respect to the niacin, I use Enduracin, which is sold by a company called Endurance Products (you can find their website by running a Google search). They also sell immediate release phytosterols. I considered Niaspan (my doc was willing to prescribe it and my insurance would pay for it), but based on my research Enduracin looked to be the better product.

Notwithstanding that you do not need a prescription for any of these products, I would not recommend following this sort of program unless you are doing so under the supervision of a doctor. In particular, high doses of niacin can cause liver damage and have a negative impact on blood sugar levels. I have blood tests run every three months
and have not had any problems, but one does have to be careful when taking doses this high.

There are a couple of good books on using niacin to treat cholesterol levels which you may want to read. They are (1) The New Eight Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski and (2) Cholesterol Control Without Diet, The Niacin Solution by William Parsons. You can find both books on Amazon.
Thanks man. I have been on my routine for a month. One more month them I am going to go in for another blood test.

Wish me luck!