FDA Cites American Cellular Lab products

bigfatty

Awards
Hidden steroids found in 8 American Cellular Lab products. See the NY Times Web site for the complete article.
--------------------------------

Supplements for Athletes Draw Alert From F.D.A.

By NATASHA SINGER and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
Published: July 28, 2009

Federal regulators warned consumers on Tuesday not to use body-building products that are sold as nutritional supplements but may contain steroids or steroidlike substances, citing reports of acute liver injury and kidney failure.

Tren Xtreme and Mass Xtreme are among the eight supplements cited by the F.D.A. as containing steroidlike substances.
The Food and Drug Administration said it issued the warning because of increased reports of medical problems in men who had used such products.

But except for naming eight specific supplements sold by a single company, the Food and Drug Administration did not provide much clear guidance to consumers on what other products to avoid. The F.D.A. acknowledged that it did not know how many products its warning affects.

Generally, the F.D.A. said, buyers should beware of body-building products that claim to enhance or diminish the effects of hormones like testosterone, estrogen or progestin. In particular, the agency said consumers should not buy products labeled with code words like “anabolic” and “tren,” or phrases like “blocks estrogen,” and “minimizes gyno.” The references to estrogen and “gyno” are meant to indicate the products do not have a feminizing effect on the body, like swelling breasts or shrinking testicles, which can be unwanted side effects of steroid use in men.

The F.D.A. cited eight popular products from American Cellular Labs, including Mass Xtreme and Tren Xtreme, that the agency found to contain hidden and potentially hazardous steroids. The agency sent a letter on Monday warning the company to make the products comply with federal regulations. Last week, federal agents in San Francisco executed search warrants for the company and for a San Francisco outlet of Max Muscle, a chain of sports nutrition stores, some of which sold the products cited by the F.D.A.

“We think that there may be a number of firms that are marketing similar products, if not products that are exactly the same,” Michael Levy, director of the Division of New Drugs and Labeling at the agency’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, said in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday. The agency, he said, is considering taking action against those firms as well.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well "Duh" ... wish the average consumer was just more responsible...will never happen though. Now there going to group all supps that say "Anabolic" with steroid products!! Just cuz it's anabolic does not means it's hormonal!! Food is anabolic .. better not fuggin eat then!! Fuggin morons!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lol. will they do the same dumbass thing and ban ACL tren and assume the problem goes away like they did with AX superdrol, or did they just figure out how to mess up my future orders?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's what gets me .. because of their ignorance they make dumb statements like stay away from supplements that say "anabolic" now they have inadvertantly created a stigma about the word. Now every johnny pencil neck is going to think anabolic means steroid use, when anabolism is present and desirable in an optimum state of health!! I mean how far up their azz can their heads get!!

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
Here's what gets me .. because of their ignorance they make dumb statements like stay away from supplements that say "anabolic" now they have inadvertantly created a stigma about the word. Now every johnny pencil neck is going to think anabolic means steroid use, when anabolism is present and desirable in an optimum state of health!! I mean how far up their azz can their heads get!!
Exactly! That do this with steroid too. Most people think "steroid" always means an anabolic androgenic steroidal compound that has binding affinity to the androgen receptor and is a federally scheduled drug. Most don't realize that it's actually a terpenoid lipid characterized by a sterane nucleus: carbon skeleton with four fused rings which includes Cholesterol, Estradiol, and Cortisone.

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
I always find this stuff funny and somewhat tragic for us as athletes who knowingly seek and use legal anabolics. I could understand it if anabolic compounds were found in aspirin or cough syrup, but when I read the back panel of a supplement that says: "Anabolic compound...lean mass building...hormonal...", blah blah, I'm really not surprised that there are anabolics in the bottle! I'd be more concerned if a supplement that was supposed to be anabolic contained nothing of the sort, as most did until recent years.

Ya know, I must have been a strange young man; I grew up HOPING that SOMETHING I bought had anabolics in it, and despite the claims, none did. Nobody "protected" us then, when the claims were pure lies. Ironically, things are so much better now and anabolic supplements are actually anabolic and now we need a "warning", that what the bottle says is actually true. Like when some sexual potency product was recently found to contain a compound that works! Oh No! (Remember the huge spike in sales of that product?)

I'm mean, who buys an anabolic supplement hoping for something other than muscle? Oh Damn, I'm all big and hard...dammit!

Then again, I guess there are idiots who thig Tren is like whey or takes 80mg/day of Superdrol. Always the lowest common denominator screwing it up for everyone.

Regardless, after this article, I'd bet American Cellular is gonna see a spike in sales.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
isn't it fascinating that the "gain 8.7 pounds of muscle in 14 days" is allowed to be on shelves, but compounds that actually deliver that 8.7 pounds of muscle aren't? argh.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In one of the articles i read about this they said that the products werent effective lol. That right there shows their ignorance.

GodofWine

GodofWine

Awards
The 8 supplements they 'found steroids' in, were each single ingredient Prohormones / Steroids.

The products were ACL labeled products containing: 1,4AD, Phera, Pro-stanazol, Halodrol, Superdrol, Formastane, 1-AD (new one) and one anti-e that I cannot remember.

Basically, this is all of them, now I guess we can hope they were all spiked with DMT and this was the problem, but it looks highly suspect that these 8 compounds are getting looked at REAL close.

If I was a manu. of one of these products, I'd be nervous .