Recovery - What is your ultimate?

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Been out of the loop for a little while with supplementation, and I'm wondering what your IDEAL, MONEY ASIDE, stack would be for recovery.

Although a diet related question, I'm confident that I'm dialed in. Strict Paleo diet, plenty of protein and healthy fats, along with favorable carbohydrate choices (no grains, no sugar) around my workouts. Pre and post that is.

Looking for supplement advice, to find the ultimate stack to be able to train 5-6 days a week with added intensity. Recovery is good for now, but I tend to ride the rollercoaster ride. As in, I have AWESOME days here and there, but their toll sometimes leaks into the other days, which end up being less than stellar.

SO, budget aside, what would you recommend, steroid/pro-hormone free, for maximum recovery? I train CrossFit by the way, which is constantly varied domains of exercise.

So far, I have this, aside from a tight diet of course:
BCAA's
Posidon
Beta-Alanine and Creatine
Adaptogens (Rhodiola mainly)

Was using citrulline malate, dropped it as I ran out. Will pick it back up again if worthy.

Thanks!
Semper Fi
LT P

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If i wasn't worried about money I'd rock USP's Powerfull for great sleep/recovery and the new Diesel Test Pro-Cycle by Get Diesel for a testerone boost. Cause looks like you have everything else in check besides some Fish Oil and Multi Vitamin. If looking for best multi vitamin money not an issue go with Orange Triad by Controlled Labs.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
6 days is pushing it. Even if your muscles recover, your CNS may not.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
2-12 g's of vit C, 1200 IU of vit E, also beta carotene (vit A). heavy exercise releases tons of free radicals which lengthens the recovery period, those 3 are the most powerful anti-oxidants. I buy it all liquid and feels great. I can actually tell that I recover faster with vitamins and 15-20 gs of BCAA of course.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
6 days is pushing it. Even if your muscles recover, your CNS may not.
Crossfit is designed to NOT tax your CNS that way. It's not like max lifting at all.

I'd take either cre02 (creatine/cordyceps/rhodiola/gynostemma/ciwujia) or VO2 (cordyceps/rhodiola/gynostemma).

You should consider MAN Clout, too, as it boosts recovery immensely. Clout, Cordygen VO2, and Xtend would kick ass.

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Crossfit is designed to NOT tax your CNS that way. It's not like max lifting at all.

I'd take either cre02 (creatine/cordyceps/rhodiola/gynostemma/ciwujia) or VO2 (cordyceps/rhodiola/gynostemma).

You should consider MAN Clout, too, as it boosts recovery immensely. Clout, Cordygen VO2, and Xtend would kick ass.
Darn it man, I have all three! I've been going with Cre-02 and BCAA's at the moment though. Recovery thus far has been pretty good, always looking to get better though.

How would waxy maize, or glycerol supplementation fare? Glycogen supercompensation sounds like its right up my alley, boosting performance and recovery, but I generally shy away from processed carbohydrates. Worth a shot?

Also - thanks for the replies.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
pound down the recoverpro and essentials w/joint by anabolic innovations. that'll cover most of your bases

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Darn it man, I have all three! I've been going with Cre-02 and BCAA's at the moment though. Recovery thus far has been pretty good, always looking to get better though.
Cre-02 is fantastic for recovery....especially stacked with a bcaa like RecoverPRO or Purple Wraath.

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
2-12 g's of vit C, 1200 IU of vit E, also beta carotene (vit A). heavy exercise releases tons of free radicals which lengthens the recovery period, those 3 are the most powerful anti-oxidants. I buy it all liquid and feels great. I can actually tell that I recover faster with vitamins and 15-20 gs of BCAA of course.

dont mean to sandbag here but C E and A aren't the most powerful antioxidants.

grape seed extract is somewhere around 20x more powerful as C. green tea extract is somewhere around the same potency.

dont get me wrong though, C has its uses - joint , lung, and cartilage recovery, but there are alot of really strong anti oxidants out there outside of vitamins.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

How would waxy maize, or glycerol supplementation fare? Glycogen supercompensation sounds like its right up my alley, boosting performance and recovery, but I generally shy away from processed carbohydrates. Worth a shot?

Also - thanks for the replies.
You know what? I haven't tried any of the waxy maize/post-workout products around now. I will be trying Golden Gains very soon, myself.

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
You know what? I haven't tried any of the waxy maize/post-workout products around now. I will be trying Golden Gains very soon, myself.
Cool. Let me know how that goes!

Dare I say it - I've been giving "Volumaize" a shot! Before I get kicked in the balls, let me explain. 4 bottle trial over at Vitamin Shoppe. Thought I'd give it a go, to see how I feel during the met-cons. Contains waxy-maize and glycerol. So far, so good, but whether thats placebo or not, it's so hard to tell. With the constantly varied workouts, its even harder to judge. But, so far, so good. I'll shoot you a PM if I come to any sort of a conclusion or whatnot.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cool. Let me know how that goes!

Dare I say it - I've been giving "Volumaize" a shot! Before I get kicked in the balls, let me explain. 4 bottle trial over at Vitamin Shoppe. Thought I'd give it a go, to see how I feel during the met-cons. Contains waxy-maize and glycerol. So far, so good, but whether thats placebo or not, it's so hard to tell. With the constantly varied workouts, its even harder to judge. But, so far, so good. I'll shoot you a PM if I come to any sort of a conclusion or whatnot.
Great, let me know! Who cares, you got a good deal, ingredients are solid. In general, I'm with you: I'd rather rely on real, whole food, BUT...if I'm going to take in something like that, post workout is the time.

BTW, you'll see great results from Clout. It doesn't provide the endurance CRE02 does, but it increases recovery a LOT. Throw in some Cordygen 5/VO2 for the best of both.

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
I felt good with poseidon but not sure how much It did for my recovery... My recovery stack includes- postworkout protein isolate/waxy maize/creatine mono, before bed 2 hyperdrolx2 and 2 powerfull, 3 scoops of axcell during workout and few more at night and in the morning.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
wow lol just buy some eggs and eat 24 aday and watch ur self explode

u could eat a whole bottle/tub of everything said in this thread and not recover as much as eating 4+ eggs befor bed
or as many eggs as u can throughout the day
and yes they do raise LDL lvs wich is the good kind

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dont mean to sandbag here but C E and A aren't the most powerful antioxidants.

grape seed extract is somewhere around 20x more powerful as C. green tea extract is somewhere around the same potency.

dont get me wrong though, C has its uses - joint , lung, and cartilage recovery, but there are alot of really strong anti oxidants out there outside of vitamins.
Yes grape seed is very powerful, C E and A however have been proven to be very effective at specifically reducing exercise - induced muscle damage due to free radical formation from working out. Numerous studies have shown vit C fighting free radical damage and even enhancing the hormonal effects of working out.

"vitamin E causes a greater increase in circulating creatine kinase activity, perhaps indicating increased skeletal muscle repair. Increased vitamin E intake has been associated with enhanced glucose tolerance and insulin action as well as improved lipoprotein status."

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/freeradicals.htm

You definitely got me on the fact that there are more powerful antioxidants. Just in this case he is looking for recovery related supplements and you can never count your vitamins out.

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
wow lol just buy some eggs and eat 24 aday and watch ur self explode

u could eat a whole bottle/tub of everything said in this thread and not recover as much as eating 4+ eggs befor bed
or as many eggs as u can throughout the day
and yes they do raise LDL lvs wich is the good kind
high density lipoprotein is the good kind. LDL is the bad kind. im sure it raises the good kind anyway though.

fyi

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Don't bother....waste of time and money.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll find out. 6 hours of judo plus minimal working out has me over-training slightly sometimes. Judo is brutal. I'm curious to see how this stuff helps.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I'll find out. 6 hours of judo plus minimal working out has me over-training slightly sometimes. Judo is brutal. I'm curious to see how this stuff helps.
always follow your training sessions with whey+carbs like dextrose+maltodextrin. Very important to replace glycogen, you can become very catabolic from doing a lot of martial arts. I see kids in my jiujitsu school who train too much and eat too little and they can barely finish the class sometimes. Good combination of whey+dex/malt afterwards and my energy levels are back to normal. Also oats or another low GI carb before will help with energy.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I respectfully disagree and would love for you to apply the next time we put any of the cordygen products out for logging :happysad:

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Uh, yeah, there's far more to recovery than protein, and NOTHING beats Cordygen for its intended benefits.

That being said, raw eggs are amazing for size and strength. I drank 24 raw eggs a day for 6 months straight, when I was 20, and bulked up like a madman, got the biggest I've ever been. There's a thread on here somewhere, search eggs and DR Mercola, IIRC; lots of info in there on raw eggs.

There's a hell of a lot more to recovery than protein, though.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Hey man. I'm training Crossfit aswell, 3 days on 1 day off on a calorie restriction (~300 cals below maintenance). The only thing that boosts my recovery considerably is Scivation Xtend 8-12 scoops a day, thats considered megadosing bcaa's. I drink it allover the day. I just put 1 or 2 scoops in a watercontainer and drink from that so I got some in my system every time of the day. Its very doable that way. Furthermore I get a big part from my calories (~35%) from mixed nuts, seeds, goji berries and cacao beans, I do way better on that then on a chicken breast with the usual suspects diet. I dont know if its because of the mineral and/or omega content of the nuts or the anti-oxidant activity of goji-berries and cacao beans.

A bit of a late reply but maybe it's of use to you.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I would get Purple InTrain and Purple WRAATH, and mix the two of those together.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
20g BCAA
2 scoops Poseidon
75g WMS
25g SuperCarb
143mg Na-RALA
3 caps NoXidant

You pretty much cover all your post-training bases with this. A mix of high and low GI carbs along with a huge dose of BCAA for protein synthesis. The Na-RALA/NoXidant helps with nutrient repartitioning along with an amazing anti-O blend.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
20g BCAA
2 scoops Poseidon
75g WMS
25g SuperCarb
143mg Na-RALA
3 caps NoXidant

You pretty much cover all your post-training bases with this. A mix of high and low GI carbs along with a huge dose of BCAA for protein synthesis. The Na-RALA/NoXidant helps with nutrient repartitioning along with an amazing anti-O blend.
Very nice layout there.:)

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Stretching
Icing
Contrast showers - this depends how hard I was pushing it
Epsom salt baths
Massage
My Chiro, on maintance once a month currently.
IN evening after WO's I do a pool recovery workout - this helps a lot!
Foam rolling!
Hot tub almost every evening

Tangelos or however you spell it for vitamin C. Its a cross between an orange & a tangerine. Or just will have one or the other. First is my fav.
Wheat germ in my moring shake - 2-3 tbls.
Nos Ether by Get Diesel or Ether Tabs
DTH or DTP to keep the most important T-level high so I can be a beast
Good quality food
EVO along with other top notch fats, fish oil, nuts and various seeds.

And the most important, sleep with naps.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
20g BCAA
2 scoops Poseidon
75g WMS
25g SuperCarb
143mg Na-RALA
3 caps NoXidant

Any concensus yet on anti-oxidants post workout partly blunting excercise effects on muscle growth?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any concensus yet on anti-oxidants post workout partly blunting excercise effects on muscle growth?
Not particularly. Hell, is there really consensus on anything in this field?

MC Gun

MC Gun

Banned
Awards
l go hardcore but l get excellent energy and recovery from
UPS Powerful, Anabolic Pump and P-Slin. l make my own NO booster from bulk supps from Nutra it is a mixture of beta alanine 2g, creatine ethyl ester2-3g, arginine ethyl ester 2g, aakg 2g, citruline malate 2g, bcaa 5g, l glutamate 5g and taurine 1g and all the rest 2x a day divanex, coleus, Now liver detox and regenerator, resveritrol, na-rala and NAC all caps or bulk fron NP.

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
As far as recovery goes you can't beat Intra-Aid & Torrent combo. They will supply you with:

Intra-Aid:

8 grams of high quality hydrolyzed whey
10 grams of free form amino's including all the BCAA's & EAA's
beta alanine
electrolytes
a great carb blend

Torrent:

20 grams of high quality hydrolyzed whey
8 grams of Leucine (the anabolic trigger)
7 grams of cell volumizers
3 grams of creatine
a great carb blend

You can really push it in the gym with the support of these formulas.

B

borje

Awards
I like Endurox R4 after my hard cardio workouts. Anyone tried it?

M

Mikey13

Awards
I like
12g PeptoPro,
80g WMS - although I am going to be trying out Potato Starch carb as it seems to have some great reviews
2.5g Tri-Creatine Malate,
12g 4:1:1 BCAA
.8g Beta-Alanine

Followed up 15 minutes later with 40-50g some fast and medium acting protein

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Uh, yeah, there's far more to recovery than protein, and NOTHING beats Cordygen for its intended benefits.

That being said, raw eggs are amazing for size and strength. I drank 24 raw eggs a day for 6 months straight, when I was 20, and bulked up like a madman, got the biggest I've ever been. There's a thread on here somewhere, search eggs and DR Mercola, IIRC; lots of info in there on raw eggs.
I also believe in eggs and have drank my fair share of raw eggs. Before whey that all we had. Raw eggs and honey.........still love it from time to time. The biggest and strongest i got was from steak and eggs.

I have a great deal of respect for Mercola but i got that tip from Vince Gironda who was way ahead of his time in regards to nutrition.

I found training every other day best for recovery and personally i think you've nailed it with your nutrition and supps. Citrulline, BA and BCAA'S are all i need as they do cover most, if not all, bases.