ALCAR

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
so I have been taking ALCAR for about two weeks ago at for week 1 4g a day at week two 8g a day, still haven't really noticed anything yet... can I start doing like 16g a day? are there any sides with that high of a dose, is it pointless? input?

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
what are you using it for? e.g. what are the effects you desire from ALCAR?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
To help aid in fat loss, and improve that great sense of well being... I understand it's hard to feel the fat loss, but it would be nice to feel/notice some of the other sides of alcar.

btw na-rala at 200mg, 3-4times a day.

Logo

Awards
To help aid in fat loss, and improve that great sense of well being... I understand it's hard to feel the fat loss, but it would be nice to feel/notice some of the other sides of alcar.

btw na-rala at 200mg, 3-4times a day.
Why the na-rala while losing fat? I doubt you'd be getting enough carbohydrates for it to be necissary. Additionally, insulin sensitivity while dieting isn't always a good thing.

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
Why the na-rala while losing fat? I doubt you'd be getting enough carbohydrates for it to be necissary. Additionally, insulin sensitivity while dieting isn't always a good thing.
i'm guessing na-rala because it is supposed to work synergystically with ALCAR.

i'm not sure about sides from a higher dosage, but if you are using it to aid in fat loss i'm surprised you haven't felt results; i take just 5g a day and it is noticable. maybe you just need to give it more time.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
gotca, its just I've never felt that warming sensation ALCAR is reported to give from the redirection of fat into the mitocondria.

na-rala isn't taken really for glucose disposal I really just take it for the super antiox properties. I was just figuring because I'm so active, that it takes more for me to know the difference. does that make sense?

Logo

Awards
na-rala isn't taken really for glucose disposal I really just take it for the super antiox properties. I was just figuring because I'm so active, that it takes more for me to know the difference. does that make sense?
Good, then you're taking it for the right reasons!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used it for two years strait 2005-2007.

Alcar enhances testosterone metabolism , not production. also sperm count. I feel the difference when i use L-carnitine. its subtle energy effects. i love it and when i can afford it I use it. it helps with energy expenditure. I think it effcts my libido(in on regular l carnitinenow a days- 2 grams)

I used three grams per day when I needed an added boost I would do six grams. it should be building up in your system doing that loading protocol.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Well carnitine is reccomended by some as a treatment for an overactive thyroid. Some say that it should be avoided by people who don't exactly have the highest thyroid levels(many people in the slow metabolism community). In my personal experience, that warmiong sensation of burning more fat was felt in the beginning, but now I could take a big dose of ALCAR, and it will actually make me tired.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well carnitine is reccomended by some as a treatment for an overactive thyroid. Some say that it should be avoided by people who don't exactly have the highest thyroid levels(many people in the slow metabolism community). In my personal experience, that warmiong sensation of burning more fat was felt in the beginning, but now I could take a big dose of ALCAR, and it will actually make me tired.
i am a beleiver in cycling supplements

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is that a yes to the there will be problems or a hell yes I should do it?
Yes give it a try. Just make sure you use a heft anti-oxident dose.....Thats what I think i ment by my last post :D

I like ALCAR. I have 200gr sitting around for next time I decided to actually "cut"

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Well, I barely got into it before the negative sides kicked in. I wasn't even useing it everyday either. I guess everyone is different.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've never had any sort of a warming sensation with ALCAR. I'm not sold on any sort of fat burning properties with it, but there's plenty of opinions that disagree in that regard.

When I take it on an empty stomach, 1.5 -2g per dose seems to give a nice alert/awake feeling. Is it possible that you might need to take it on an empty stomach if you're looking for immediate effects? I also feel that it has nice synergy with tyrosine for focus and a bit of mood enhancement.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
If you order large bulk tubs of Alcar like 1kg tubs put some of it in smaller containers. I dont know the mechanism but if I use a larger tub and open it 2 times a day for like 6 months the Alcar loses effectiveness, it also loses its strong smell. I've tossed away half a container like 2 times already because of this.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
it is a pre-cur to ACh- and too much cholinergic stimulation will make you tired/lethargic- keep the dose around 3-4 grams per day

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
WOW! Alcar overdose! no need to take that much. 1,000-1,500mg a day should be sufficient in divided doses. I can only imagine the level of tingles I would get taking that much at once!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmm, been taking 1/2 tsp twice per day for about 1-2 weeks now and no tingles whatsoever :think:

I dunno if there's any sort of cumulative effect yet, btw. I suppose I'll keep it going at least for 6-8 weeks to see if I find there's any results other than a real mild temporary mood/focus boost.

bobloblaw

Awards
i got the kilo of ALCAR and have been take it for about 5 weeks at 2-3 grams a day in divided doses with green tea ext and vitamin c. good idea to take it up to maybe like 5-6 gram a day?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
A lot of effects of alcar should be immediate or within a few days. The mental effects immediate. The testosterone effect a few days. Fat burning effects obviously vary and take time to notice and very hard to determine if your results came from that alone. Most recommendations for fat loss are 1,000 to 2,000 mg usually divided into two doses. Side effects could occur any higher then that and may be over kill anyway. I notice overstimulation from above 2,000mg. More is not always better guys..

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A lot of effects of alcar should be immediate or within a few days. The mental effects immediate. The testosterone effect a few days. Fat burning effects obviously vary and take time to notice and very hard to determine if your results came from that alone. Most recommendations for fat loss are 1,000 to 2,000 mg usually divided into two doses. Side effects could occur any higher then that and may be over kill anyway. I notice overstimulation from above 2,000mg. More is not always better guys..
I am taking the blue gene by controlled labs and they have 200 plcar and 1800 l-carnitine=2 grams. again it is useful and in my opinion best when cycled.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/utilize_l_carnitine.htm

there is another study

This study was done on L-carnitine L-tartrate

The effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation on hormonal responses to resistance exercise and recovery.

Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, French DN, Rubin MR, Sharman MJ, Gómez AL, Ratamess NA, Newton RU, Jemiolo B, Craig BW, Häkkinen K.
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA. [email protected]
The purpose of this investigation was to examine the influence of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation using a balanced, cross-over, placebo-controlled research design on the anabolic hormone response (i.e., testosterone [T], insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 [IGFBP-3], and immunofunctional and immunoreactive growth hormone [GHif and GHir]) to acute resistance exercise. Ten healthy, recreationally weight-trained men (mean +/- SD age 23.7 +/- 2.3 years, weight 78.7 +/- 8.5 kg, and height 179.2 +/- 4.6 cm) volunteered and were matched, and after 3 weeks of supplementation (2 g LCLT per day), fasting morning blood samples were obtained on six consecutive days (D1-D6). Subjects performed a squat protocol (5 sets of 15-20 repetitions) on D2. During the squat protocol, blood samples were obtained before exercise and 0, 15, 30, 120, and 180 minutes postexercise. After a 1-week washout period, subjects consumed the other supplement for a 3-week period, and the same experimental protocol was repeated using the exact same procedures. Expected exercise-induced increases in all of the hormones were observed for GHir, GHif, IGFBP-3, and T. Over the recovery period, LCLT reduced the amount of exercise-induced muscle tissue damage, which was assessed via magnetic resonance imaging scans of the thigh. LCLT supplementation significantly (p < 0.05) increased IGFBP-3 concentrations prior to and at 30, 120, and 180 minutes after acute exercise. No other direct effects of LCLT supplementation were observed on the absolute concentrations of the hormones examined, but with more undamaged tissue, a greater number of intact receptors would be available for hormonal interactions. These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.
PMID: 12930169 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Wow thats interesting stuff right there. Wish np sold lclt

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the same effects are with regular l-carnitine or alcar. I can not prove it though as I have not saw the study.

alcar and plcar increases erection disfunction , depression in older men(I think the age range was like 55-70) some one can find the study and post it. so it effects something like total test...for old men. is it really useful for younger guys? I think l-carnitine works to some degree. I just wish there were more studies to find out exactly how it effects the hormonal process and what age groups is it most useful for. obviously older men it is useful for ed, fatigue, typical low test symtoms

it also has other benefits like mitrocondra freeing or something like that I am just focusing on testosterone production because without testosterone a person is not going to build a significant amount of muscle

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
It's interesting how Alcar,Plcar, Carnitine, LCLT all seem to have different yet similiar effects. More really needs to be studied about these. There is just not enough out there right now. LCLT as a recovery aid is interesting.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
anyone tried Quadracarn by Beverly International?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Delaying Brain Mitochondrial Decay and Aging with Mitochondrial Antioxidants and Metabolites
JIANKANG LIU, HANI ATAMNA, HIROHIKO KURATSUNE, AND BRUCE N. AMES

• 1.5% in drinking water (equivalent to about 12g daily in 70 kg humans) is too much. It is the least effective of the three dosages tested and increases markers of oxidative damage.
• 0.5% in drinking water (equivalent to about 4g daily in 70 kg humans) is optimal among the three dosages tested. It is more effective than the higher dosage in ambulatory activity and mitochondrial rehabilitation and does not increase markers of oxidative damage.
• 0.15% in drinking water (equivalent to about 1.2g daily in 70 kg humans), while less effective than the 0.5% dosage, is still significantly more effective than the 1.5% dosage with respect to ambulatory activity.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think the same effects are with regular l-carnitine or alcar. I can not prove it though as I have not saw the study.

alcar and plcar increases erection disfunction , depression in older men(I think the age range was like 55-70) some one can find the study and post it. so it effects something like total test...for old men. is it really useful for younger guys? I think l-carnitine works to some degree. I just wish there were more studies to find out exactly how it effects the hormonal process and what age groups is it most useful for. obviously older men it is useful for ed, fatigue, typical low test symtoms

it also has other benefits like mitrocondra freeing or something like that I am just focusing on testosterone production because without testosterone a person is not going to build a significant amount of muscle
Did you mean to say that ALCAR/PLCAR DECREASES ED and IMPROVES depression?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I got some bulk ALCAR about a week ago and have been talking 1/4 teaspoon 3x a day with 200 mg ALA and drinking a green tea, and I haven't noticed anything yet. :(

Mainly I want the reputed brain boosting at this point as I have been at a point in my life that lacks mental stimulation and I want to try and get neurons firing...but test boosting and leaning would be awesome too! :evil:

So what am I doing wrong? Or do I just need a bit more time?

I thought I read the nootropic effects were almost immediate, but again, I notice nothing at all.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I got some bulk ALCAR about a week ago and have been talking 1/4 teaspoon 3x a day with 200 mg ALA and drinking a green tea, and I haven't noticed anything yet. :(

Mainly I want the reputed brain boosting at this point as I have been at a point in my life that lacks mental stimulation and I want to try and get neurons firing...but test boosting and leaning would be awesome too! :evil:

So what am I doing wrong? Or do I just need a bit more time?

I thought I read the nootropic effects were almost immediate, but again, I notice nothing at all.
I got tired off of it. Also, I've heard that it doesn't really boost test, but it can potentially maintain it, whatever that means. It's a controversial supplement.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I got tired off of it. Also, I've heard that it doesn't really boost test, but it can potentially maintain it, whatever that means. It's a controversial supplement.
I know I've read in some of the threads that taking too much (like 3 grams a day) will have opposite effects on cognition...ie make you tired and confused. I'm only at about 1.5 grams so that shouldn't be my issue. I just don't feel anything at all.

WTF is meant by maintains test? Does that mean it may keep test levels from dropping after cycle? I'm doing pct atm anyway so that's fine, like I said though, I was more interested in ALCAR for the mental effects.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I know I've read in some of the threads that taking too much (like 3 grams a day) will have opposite effects on cognition...ie make you tired and confused. I'm only at about 1.5 grams so that shouldn't be my issue. I just don't feel anything at all.

WTF is meant by maintains test? Does that mean it may keep test levels from dropping after cycle? I'm doing pct atm anyway so that's fine, like I said though, I was more interested in ALCAR for the mental effects.
I put "whatever that means" because I don't quite get it myself. Mayby with age? Don't know. Either way, there is still controversy surrounding wether or not it affects test in any way.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know this is an old thread -just wanted to update people, AI SPorts Nutrition are now selling L-carnitine L-tartrate

take advantage of the sale 50 % off- code xmas50 untill July the 5th www.aisportsnutrition.com

I am a happy camper that they carry this now because even before I was sponsored by them I was using this stuff, and many other of their products. You can search alcar posts back in 2004-2005 and see how I was taking it religiously and yes I do beleive it helps

as far as taking a choline source -I know it is required from alcar(even though I didnt take it at the time-thats why i get a foggy feeling I think) but is it required for all carnitines- specifically L-carnitine L-tartrate?

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It wont aid in fat loss

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ALCAR can possibly counterbalance stressors that may lower test. Effectively keeping it regular

Its greatest benefits are cognitive enhancement and it can also be used to protect against damage to the brain while drinking alcohol

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Maybe its just me but I take Alcar Plcar and Lclt in my shakes about 4 to 5 times a day with around 600 Na-rala total and all I notice from the Alcar alone is it keeps me up at night if I take it late and makes me loopy like I forget things and double check things a lot. Like did I shut the garage door? then I drive back to check before I never did that.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I love ALCAR. Dosing 5 grams per day. Definitely leans me out, increases cognition, tremendous energy boost that lasts all day. Tremendous benefits.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Agreed common sense, found best results using it first thing in the morning, good stimulation that wears off at bedtime, combined with RLA its primo.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
It wont aid in fat loss
Would you care to explain a bit deeper ?

If I'm not totally off, I'd say that the L-Carnitine plays an important role in the transformation and the use of long-chain fatty acids. And these fatty acids are then subjected to beta-oxidation and then converted into energy. Besides the transformation from fat to energy, it looks also to the body's hormones are maintained and counteracts cortisol. Both have a positive affect on the fat loss..

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Would you care to explain a bit deeper ? If I'm not totally off, I'd say that the L-Carnitine plays an important role in the transformation and the use of long-chain fatty acids. And these fatty acids are then subjected to beta-oxidation and then converted into energy. Besides the transformation from fat to energy, it looks also to the body's hormones are maintained and counteracts cortisol. Both have a positive affect on the fat loss..
^^^^^^this X 2........I definitely personally see the leaning out effects from it. I also feel the energy boost and associate this with the oxidization of the mitochondria and the burning of carbohydrates and fats.This is substantiated with numerous studies.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
There is no doubt it leans, actually stop taking it, when I get too lean.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would you care to explain a bit deeper ?

If I'm not totally off, I'd say that the L-Carnitine plays an important role in the transformation and the use of long-chain fatty acids. And these fatty acids are then subjected to beta-oxidation and then converted into energy. Besides the transformation from fat to energy, it looks also to the body's hormones are maintained and counteracts cortisol. Both have a positive affect on the fat loss..

Exogenous carnitine supplementation has not been shown to be significantly beneficial for fatloss. The studies that have shown it has a positive effect on fatloss are poorly constructed, use untrained individuals, small sample sizes, and on top of that the significance of the results themselves are questionable. There have even been studies that show that it could negatively impact fatty acid oxidation and therefore make you retain fat (altho I am not sold on this either).

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
^^^^^^this X 2........I definitely personally see the leaning out effects from it. I also feel the energy boost and associate this with the oxidization of the mitochondria and the burning of carbohydrates and fats.This is substantiated with numerous studies.
And no, it is not substantiated by numerous studies that dont have flaws or questionable significance

Dont get me wrong, I like carnitine and use it for other benefits, there just isnt much good evidence to show it promotes fat loss.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different and there are a wide variety of products that arent equal in quality. Im not surprised it doesnt promote loss in some people, for me it does.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everyone is different and there are a wide variety of products that arent equal in quality. Im not surprised it doesnt promote loss in some people, for me it does.
Keep taking it then.

Tons of people take supps that dont work for their supposed purpose, otherwise glutamine wouldnt have nearly as large of a following as it does for bodybuilding purposes :p

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
In the past month I started taking alcar again, took about 3 weeks till I noticed I started leaning out. Weight wasn't coming off the scale but I'm seeing more definition. I'm like "where did this come from?" Then I'm like it has to be the ALCAR. Same results every time I take it. It works slow but overtime it cuts you up. I've never really taken carnitine or other forms because why change up what works you know?

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
In the past month I started taking alcar again, took about 3 weeks till I noticed I started leaning out. Weight wasn't coming off the scale but I'm seeing more definition. I'm like "where did this come from?" Then I'm like it has to be the ALCAR. Same results every time I take it. It works slow but overtime it cuts you up. I've never really taken carnitine or other forms because why change up what works you know?
^-- I can relate to this.. Been trying it on and off to try and see the difference... and it's really there..it's just as you say, it's slow.. But when taken enough overtime you'll notice it...

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
^-- I can relate to this.. Been trying it on and off to try and see the difference... and it's really there..it's just as you say, it's slow.. But when taken enough overtime you'll notice it...
Absolutely agree here, I am getting so shredded and venous, the definition is as if Im on, bodyfat is low, Im 57 with a 34 inch waist.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
And no, it is not substantiated by numerous studies that dont have flaws or questionable significanceDont get me wrong, I like carnitine and use it for other benefits, there just isnt much good evidence to show it promotes fat loss.
With all due respect. Who says it us not substantiated by numerous studies that are not flawed? Who is this mysterious expert? What makes his "nay" so special and above the the ones that say "yay"?There are plenty of members here that also say it leans them out. Although anecdotal, who says this negative person takes precedence over all the other studies and all us here.The results are subtle and take time. It is a supplement not a drug and therefore results are noticed over months but the results are definitely there for the most part.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Alcar has been shown to hve a weird interaction with thyroid hormone block thyroid hormone. A little ALCAR is fine, but I know 4 grams makes me take a nap even with a good amount of caffein in my system.