Best JOINT supplements?

TheTom

Awards
  • Established
Most of my joints are pretty beat up from years of powerlifting/bodybuilding. Some of them pop, some of them feel weak or hurt etc...

Have any of you guys found a supplement that actually works for restrengthening the joints?

Sometimes if I take a two week break off lifting my joints will feel a lot better. But I can't just keep taking 2 weeks off every couple of months.

Any suggestions?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Glucosamine @ 1,500mg ED, Chondrotin (sp?) @ 1,200mg ED and MSM at 2,000mg ED work very well for me. It takes about a month to notice anything, and another month after that to really feel something when using these. Flax oil is also useful, but I don't consider it part of my "joint suppliments." It's my EFA helper :D

ManBeast

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use Glucosamine w/MSM which helps..Flaxseed oil and EPA-DHA omega-3 + 6 helps out too..Do you have Shoulder pain or elbow,I have both im 45 and have been Bodybuilding and Powerlifting for 20 years and I feel it...When it is so bad and these supplements do not work try aleve (Naprosyn) anti-inflamatory for temporary relief..

Check this out it is pretty interesting especially for us older Muscleheads...

Weight lifter's shoulder:

When I do flat bench my delts kill right in the tie in..but not the muscle it's the joint.I notice it alot when going to bed moving my arms around or turning in bed it kills,also driving my truck ill put my right arm up on top of the passenfger seat and after a few minuets I move it I really feel the pain...Im taking Glucosomine and MSN for it but the pain is still there...I will try not doing flat bench for a while just inclined and see what happens...Do you guy's think this is the rotator cuff.. After doing some research on my own i am looking into the possibilliy of Distal Clavicle Osteolysis, or (weightlifter's shoulder)

Clinical Presentation
In both traumatic and atraumatic osteolysis, the patient usually reports a dull ache that localizes over the AC joint. It may radiate to the anterior deltoid or the trapezius. With posttraumatic osteolysis, the patient will relate the onset of the pain to a direct blow to the shoulder. The traumatic episode may be as recent as 4 weeks, or it may have occurred years prior to the patient's presentation (13). These patients may or may not be involved in repetitive physical activities with the affected shoulder.

With atraumatic osteolysis, the patient has an insidious onset of pain in the region of the AC joint. These patients are usually weight lifters or heavy laborers who do not recall a specific incident that precipitated their symptoms. Weight lifters often have the most pain while performing bench presses, push-ups, and dips (2). Night pain is not often a complaint, but the patient will have difficulty sleeping on the affected side (9). Activities of daily living may become painful as the patient's symptoms progress (14).

On physical examination, patients consistently exhibit point tenderness over the AC joint and pain with cross-body adduction. Patients generally have well-developed shoulder musculature and full range of motion, but they can have pain with the impingement test, making diagnosis difficult. In this situation, 1 mL of 1% lidocaine hydrochloride can be injected directly into the AC joint. Patients with isolated distal clavicle osteolysis will have a temporary resolution of their symptoms after injection, whereas patients with other shoulder pathology will continue to have pain with provocative testing.

Treatment
Treatment of the patient with osteolysis needs to be individualized. Factors to be considered include the extent of disability, hand dominance, activity level, and age.

Nonoperative treatment. Patients are initially started on a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and instructed in activity modification. Specifically, weight lifters should avoid bench presses, dips, flies, push-ups, and other lifts that elicit pain. Most patients will respond to activity modification; however, symptoms often recur if the previous weight-training schedule is reinstituted (2). Intra-articular corticosteroids can be considered for short-term symptom relief, but studies to date have not shown any long-term benefits (11). Because patients generally retain normal shoulder function, formal physical therapy is generally not initiated unless there is concomitant shoulder pathology. Patients whose condition does not respond to conservative management or who cannot limit their activities require surgery.

Operative management. Both open and arthroscopic distal clavicle resection have been successful in alleviating pain and returning patients to previous activity levels (2,9,10,14-17). Open resection is a relatively simple procedure, but a 4- to 5-cm incision is required. It also entails at least partial detachment of the deltoid; therefore, patients must avoid strenuous use of the arm for 3 to 4 weeks. The arthroscopic technique is technically more demanding, but it is more cosmetically appealing, and patients return to activities as soon as they are comfortable (18

anyone try the antinflamatory medication and what kind is the best....

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Hyaluronic acid supposedly works pretty well.

drei

Awards
Hyaluronic Acid or HLA

This stuff is the bomb I have been using it for about a year now. And the cool thing about it is that after a while it even starts to make your skin look better.

size

Awards
  • Established
I like Flax and I take it but it is certainly not the end all of joint problems.

With joint problems, I think it is important to address the issue of WHY you are having joint problems. Once this has been addressed you can move on to doing things to correct it.

Taking a supplement may mask the problem, but I feel a better approach is to fix it.

Logic

Awards
i also use the flax and it sure as hell doesent do anything for my joints.
my left elbow has been killing me for months now and i dont seem to be able to find anything that helps.

drei

Awards
Pain and joints

I thought this post was about supplements to assist in having healthy joints. Not about "my joints have been killing me for months what supplement will fix it".

If you are having chronic pain go to a darn doctor! Plain and simple no amount of a supplement is going to fix joint problems or any other serious health issues.

size

Awards
  • Established
I use Beverly Joint Care and it seems to work :)

Logic

Awards
hey bro, i never asked what would fix it.
i simply stated my opinon on flax as flax was suggested.
sorry oh wise one.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guy's im gonna get some Hyaluronic acid today......Tabs are 50mg how much do you suggest I take....