indole-3-carbinol

protempsfish

Awards
Anybody have any feedback using this supp? I read it was very good at estrogen control but also read that it could promote prostate problems?

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Haven't seen any literature on I3C giving prostate problems, but I've used it in 3 different PCT's with very good results. A lot more companies are including it in their blends because it works very well.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I've used it once during PCT with Post Cycle Support and had no prostate problems.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Anybody have any feedback using this supp? I read it was very good at estrogen control but also read that it could promote prostate problems?
What is the proposed mechanism for causing prostrate problems?

protempsfish

Awards
a website (phytochemicals.info) states that 'The influence of indole-3-carbinol on the development of prostate cancer is less clear. Most studies report protective effects but a few studies indicate that indole-3-carbinol may promote prostate cancer formation.' Just trying to sift through all the info. I would think in small doses the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
a website (phytochemicals.info) states that 'The influence of indole-3-carbinol on the development of prostate cancer is less clear. Most studies report protective effects but a few studies indicate that indole-3-carbinol may promote prostate cancer formation.' Just trying to sift through all the info. I would think in small doses the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?
Link? Id like to read through it. Nothing Ive seen suggests it promoting cancer, only the opposite.

rugal09

rugal09

Awards
According to this study on pubmed, I3C actually prevents Prostrate Cancer

(sorry cant post link b/c not enough posts)

Sarkar FH, Li Y.
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, 48201, USA.

Epidemiological and dietary studies have revealed an association between high dietary intake of cruciferous vegetables and decreased prostate cancer risk. Our studies have shown that indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a common phytochemical in cruciferous vegetables, and its in vivo dimeric product 3,3'-diindolylmethane (DIM) upregulate the expression of phase I and phase II enzymes, suggesting increased capacity for detoxification and inhibition of carcinogens. Studies from our laboratory and others have found that I3C can induce G1 cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. In addition, we found, by microarray gene expression profiling, that I3C and DIM regulate many genes that are important for the control of cell cycle, cell proliferation, signal transduction, and other cellular processes, suggesting the pleiotropic effects of I3C and DIM on prostate cancer cells. We recently found that I3C functions as an inhibitor of Akt and nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kappaB), which play important roles in cell survival and which are believed to be potential targets in cancer therapy. Studies have already shown that the inactivation of Akt and NF-kappaB is responsible for chemosensitization of chemoresistant cancer cells. Because there is no effective treatment strategy for hormone-dependent and, most importantly, hormone-independent and metastatic prostate cancer, our strategies to sensitize prostate cancer cells to a chemotherapeutic agent by I3C and DIM is a novel breakthrough that could be used for devising novel therapies for prostate cancer. In conclusion, the results from our laboratory and from others provide ample evidence for the benefit of I3C and DIM for the prevention and the treatment of prostate cancer.

protempsfish

Awards
One would think that it if it was coming from natural sources that it could not promote prostate cancer. I can only guess that in artificially recreated sources that this may become detrimental. Simalar to steroids in meat consumtion?

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One would think that it if it was coming from natural sources that it could not promote prostate cancer. I can only guess that in artificially recreated sources that this may become detrimental. Simalar to steroids in meat consumtion?
Nah, natural sources of things cause cancer just as much if not more than synthetic things.

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't think the source has much to do with it. There are natural carcinogens in nature. I'd definitely like to see more studies on the issue.