Exercise in a pill? Drugs show promise in mice

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
NEW YORK - Here's a couch potato's dream: What if a drug could help you gain some of the benefits of exercise without working up a sweat?

Scientists reported Thursday that there is such a drug — if you happen to be a mouse.

Sedentary mice that took the drug for four weeks burned more calories and had less fat than untreated mice. And when tested on a treadmill, they could run about 44 percent farther and 23 percent longer than untreated mice.

Just how well those results might translate to people is an open question. But someday, researchers say, such a drug might help treat obesity, diabetes and people with medical conditions that keep them from exercising.

"We have exercise in a pill," said Ron Evans, an author of the study. "With no exercise, you can take a drug and chemically mimic it."

Evans, of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, Calif., and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute reports the work with colleagues in a paper published online Thursday by the journal Cell.

They also report that in mice that did exercise training, a second drug made their workout much more effective at boosting endurance. After a month of taking that drug and exercising, mice could run 68 percent longer and 70 percent farther than other mice that exercised but didn't get the drug.

Both drugs have been studied by researchers for other uses. The no-exercise drug is in advanced human testing to see if it can prevent a complication of heart bypass surgery.

Evans noted the drugs might prove irresistible for professional athletes who seek an illegal edge. He said his team has developed detection tests for use by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Evans said he has no financial interest in either drug or the test.

Drug had been studied for anti-aging effects
Resveratrol, a substance being studied for anti-aging effects, has also been reported to enable mice to run farther before exhaustion without exercise training. But the drugs in the new study appear to act more specifically on a process in muscles that boosts endurance, the researchers said.

Still, it takes more than just altered muscles to turn a sedentary mouse into a distance runner, Evans said, and "honestly, I just don't know how that happens. Whether it would happen in a person, I don't know. I think it's a small miracle it happened at all."

In fact, Evans said that when the experiment with sedentary mice was suggested by an outside scientist who was reviewing the lab's research, "I didn't think it was going to work."

The no-exercise drug is called AICAR. Previous experiments suggest that it might protect against gaining weight on a high-fat diet, which might make it useful for treating obesity, Evans said. But it would have to be taken for a long time, he said, so its safety in people would have to be assured.

Experts who study muscle agreed that a drug like AICAR may prove useful someday in treating obesity and diabetes. Many drug companies are working on such drugs in diabetes because in animals, AICAR stimulates muscles to remove sugar from the blood, noted Laurie Goodyear of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.

Stuntbabe

Awards
Wow... Now we can all eat at MC'Y D's and all stay fit!!!

loki515

Awards
lmao that would be great hell with watching what you eat or doing cardio. I hate cardio those days just pretty much down right suck.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Im dreading these things. Being fit used to be earned. Now its just something youll get as a RX.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Im dreading these things. Being fit used to be earned. Now its just something youll get as a RX.
Dont worry if these pills are released, I am sure karma will deliver a "lol" through some wicked unforeseen side effects. Cancer/deformations/birth issues/genetic degradation/immune system issues/etc.

So they get 5 years of lazy-fit, and a lifetime of paying for it with some weird disease.

Ironically at the bottom of the screen is an ad for the Gabriel Method "lose weight without dieting" with a fat guy turning skinny lol.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I can understand if you have some sort of medical issue that keeps you from being able to train... but obesity? Never thought you couldn't exercise cause you were obese.

h22t88

Awards
That could possibly be the most unhealthy thing I've ever heard and a disaster to the health of Americans. Your body is made to be active and get exercise. If you sit on the couch all day stuffing your face and popping a pill you are still going to get diabetes, diseases, clogged arteries, heart problems, high blood pressure and everything else that obese people have issues with. Your body isn't designed to be sedentary.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
For some reason this reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy" were all gonna end up like them if these pills become legit.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
LOL ya that was hilarious

Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo!
Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo?
Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes

And then when he suggested to use water i forgot who said it but they were like "you mean from the toilet?"

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
i agree if something is to good to be true than it is.. u know what i mean.. pill that exercise for you.. hell we moving to the future to fast.. what they can have a machine to roll u round to lose weight to?

agree with the above post.. it gives better satisfaction when you earn something!

come with a pill to help not to complete take control! we r becoming to dependent on everything what happen to self motivation?

Drizzo

Drizzo

Awards
There's already a substance that does this... the mysterious and feared.. *gasp!* ... DNP

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
this stuff is found in grapes but i think that its not resvertraol its the apple polyphenols which clear fat out of your circulatory system same as exercise but it doesnt work as well as real exercise.

jacked475

Awards
+ What about those who like working out/being active?....

Exercise is a good tension release, atleast for me. Its probably the most enjoyable part of my day.

jim623

This is non of ya'll business, as long as you don't get your muscle enhancing products, butt out. The government doesn't care about those of you that are physiclly fit. You don't need and can't have supplements. Supplements are only for lazy people.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
Its going to make them mutate oir something.
Exercise benefits the body.
The modern sedentary lifestyle is the problem(as I am sure anyone who trains knows).

Funny they named it AICAR ... looks like they are trying to copy ALCAR.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
Come on guys, this means there will be a lot more hotties running around and thats not a bad thing :)

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
i hate fat people they have no will power and just sit on the couch all day, this pill definatly wont help some one who eats macdonalds 3x a day and doesn't move. fat people should be put down, they are like animals they are taking over the world.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
i hate fat people they have no will power and just sit on the couch all day, this pill definatly wont help some one who eats macdonalds 3x a day and doesn't move. fat people should be put down, they are like animals they are taking over the world.
I agree, every where i go all i see are theses disgusting fackin bodies, beotch that look like there wearin their lil sisters clothes,lookin like a stack of tires and its only getting worse. i mean i saw a whole family big as fack, even the 3 yr old was super fat. I think its tyme to start thinning the herd, these fackin fat asses are a drain on society, in soo many ways.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
I dont think the likelyhood of this RX will ever happen. First of all this is like the 7th time i have heard about this article in the last 4 years and yet there seems to be no-progress in humans taking it. Secondly from an economical standpoint in terms of the millions of dollars made each year from obesity in medical practices it would kind of elimate a huge amount of revenue generated. Now i may not be a genious or anything bu if there is one thing i can garuntee is that america loves its money. You will probably never see this pill unless its in the constraints of those who have a genetic deficiency/gland problems that make weightloss impossible. Then again some of our AAS that no one can take can heal burn victims, cancer patients, MS patients, and yet we still dont utilize them that much because they are "steroids". I put money on it u will never see this pill come out.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
I dont think the likelyhood of this RX will ever happen. First of all this is like the 7th time i have heard about this article in the last 4 years and yet there seems to be no-progress in humans taking it. Secondly from an economical standpoint in terms of the millions of dollars made each year from obesity in medical practices it would kind of elimate a huge amount of revenue generated. Now i may not be a genious or anything bu if there is one thing i can garuntee is that america loves its money. You will probably never see this pill unless its in the constraints of those who have a genetic deficiency/gland problems that make weightloss impossible. Then again some of our AAS that no one can take can heal burn victims, cancer patients, MS patients, and yet we still dont utilize them that much because they are "steroids". I put money on it u will never see this pill come out.
Sheet, i bet we see a FS myostatin blocker available to the public before this

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
UMM this would have to be one helluva a pill aswell because you think just because this pill is out there the people will start eating right? We all know we cant make gains with the diets these people have so why will a pill change that? even if it works they have to change there diet aswell which wont happen cause there lazy hell there probally to lazy to buy the pill.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
lazy pill or not but something has to give, I mean I think its like 1 in 3 people here is obese?? no offense but WAKE UP motherfu$kers!!!! If you dont have a genetic condition or thyroid problem, there should be no reason to be obese. its horrible, these days you see the girls that were awesome looking and hot become beat and fat in a matter of 1 year. just pisses me off

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
lazy pill or not but something has to give, I mean I think its like 1 in 3 people here is obese?? no offense but WAKE UP motherfu$kers!!!! If you dont have a genetic condition or thyroid problem, there should be no reason to be obese. its horrible, these days you see the girls that were awesome looking and hot become beat and fat in a matter of 1 year. just pisses me off
Yeah, we werk our asses off and theses lazy beotches, want a free ride, and alwayz find sum chump to take of their fat asses. NEVER PEDASTAL ANY FACKIN POOSAY,BEOTCHES 2DAY AREN'T WORTH IT! HAHAHA

jim623

I agree, every where i go all i see are theses disgusting fackin bodies, beotch that look like there wearin their lil sisters clothes,lookin like a stack of tires and its only getting worse. i mean i saw a whole family big as fack, even the 3 yr old was super fat. I think its tyme to start thinning the herd, these fackin fat asses are a drain on society, in soo many ways.
I'm picturing the ones I've seen waddling around in Disney World with short shorts on. Dammit, I almost lost my lunch.

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
U know in the future you gonna have 2 races or 2 species! U got the ugly fat people and then the sexy workout people! the world is coming off to bad right now.. the all mighty dollar and lazy people is taking ova..=/

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
people will pay ten grand for just 1 of these pills, look at all the "slim thermo pants" and the 2 billion dollar hydroxycut nation. fackin lazy a$$es chugging coke zero all day instead of coke thinking they are on their way to good health. or buying a salad (iceberg lettuce of course) just to drench that $hit in 5 dressings and build a mountain of bacon on top. what about 52 OZ BIG GULP of soda??!?!? check this out:

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

http://www.sugarstacks.com/

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Ehy do people need better endurance if they just sit on the couch eating pills? It will be useless.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I guarantee ithat pill would sell out in spring and summer.
Thats when most of my coworkers get in this "in shape for summer phase".
And start eating salads and vegetables and working out to go to the beach.
If it does come out I am going to be a reseller.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
Ehy do people need better endurance if they just sit on the couch eating pills? It will be useless.
So they can climb the one flight of stairs at their job without tiring out.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
So they can climb the one flight of stairs at their job without tiring out.
you have no idea how exhausting sitting on the beach all day tanning can be

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
haha yall funny as hell.. why yall gotta pick on them big people like that.. it took hard work to get that big brotha!

many years of good eating and laid back good results..=)

hell i might stop working out and lay back and eat and try this new future out.. it might be the NEW thing..=)

purebred

Dont worry if these pills are released, I am sure karma will deliver a "lol" through some wicked unforeseen side effects. Cancer/deformations/birth issues/genetic degradation/immune system issues/etc.

So they get 5 years of lazy-fit, and a lifetime of paying for it with some weird disease.

Ironically at the bottom of the screen is an ad for the Gabriel Method "lose weight without dieting" with a fat guy turning skinny lol.
priceless.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
you have no idea how exhausting sitting on the beach all day tanning can be
makes sense.
but in reference to obese people I think the proper word would be baking.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Honestly the sad thing is i doubt half of the obese people will buy because they refuse to admit there overweight there mind like blocks it out which is why they continue to make poor descions I mean If you dont think your fat and you think your in shape you probally wont buy it i know a lot of people that just dont accept the fact there overweight.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established

ftw 826 Calories who needs meals just drink 3 double gulps a day and you got your calorie allowment for the day!

BTW that picture is just the cup filled with water.

Just give me a stick of butter and a 32 oz cup of lard and I'm good to go.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ahahahahahah i love this website

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
is that a large "jewelry" scale bro? moving some crops? :)

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
thought you guys would find this funny. A couple of weeks ago i was listenning to the radio and there is a court case going on. A kid failed a DUI test and got arrested. His lawyer is stating that the kid is SO obese he could not perform the test no matter what and that they should have administered tests that obese people can perform.... and the funny thing is that the court is actually contemplating that this is true. FYI the kid is like 16.

u know its sad when they have to make up tests for fatasses to perform because there are so many of them

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Does the test involve touching your toes or describing your feet and genitals. Maybe wiping your own azz??!??!

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Does the test involve touching your toes or describing your feet and genitals. Maybe wiping your own azz??!??!
i believe the test was walking ankle to toe, and apparently he is too fat to put one foot directly in front of the other.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 1
Training Forum 0
djbombsquad IGF-1/GH 18
suncloud General Chat 3
Supplements 8