NEW - LG's PROTEIN RTD - 40g protein, clear fruit flavors

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tell us what you don't like about your current protein RTD and you may be picked for a tester of LG's new RTD. We need feedback about what protein drinks (RTD) you've had and what you did or didn't like about them (EXAMPLE ISOPURE RTD's)

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sweet!, this is awesome, Again LG putting the customers first!

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
RTD's -

Starting from most general --

1. At the top of the list is affordability - the cost associated is significantly greater adn difficult to justify beyond the sole portability of it. 6packs, 12packs and larger cases should be avaialble with savings associated with the high quantity (obviously).

2. Skip the glass, the soft paper/plastic hybrid container, go with either plastic bottle (Oh yeah for example, or even bottle like endorush, redline, etc). I like the wider mouth, also allows for me to scoop in my own powder, ie ALCAR, creatine, or any other powder. Leave a little room for this and allow for space in case it freezes. In the winter, i leave my rtds in the trunk (New England Weather) so they are nice and chilled when i get to them. Had a bad experience with the isopure rtd's (translation - glass everywhere).

Leaving a little space in the bottle allows for room to shake the bottle when the protein has settled to the bottom. With this in mind, please have a cap that can be screwed back on, it kills me to have to try and get my thumb to cover the opening of some of these cheaply bottled rtd's only to have leakage. Please go wider mouth, with cap :)

My rtd's tend to be good pre and post workout supplements thus I tend to lean towrds more readily absorbable forms of whey. With this in mind, refreshing flavors seem to be what i lean towards. Preworkout rtd of choice has been lemon green tea by isopure, flavor is not the greatest but like having green tea pwo, consider a better tasting green tea flavor (very partial to arizonas diet green tea flavor). Just a thought and personal preference.

I tend to reuse some of the bottles, as an aside would also be nice to have oz or ml labels on the side. Benefits are two fold - I reuse the bottles, sometimes with other proteins, so we help with reducing waste. Secondly, the bottles I reuse have the branding of the RTD I purchased, which is visible to all around. Free marketing.

Hope this helps, just a few of my thoughts.

Cheers.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
EAS- decent but not really flavorful. chunky slash sometimes oozy clumps whether I drank it cold or warm. ugh! tried every single flavor chocolate chocolate fudge, cookies and cream, vanilla, strawberry, mocha, they all had that ooze it wasn't the tastiest. plus this is very expensive.

Lean Body- Chocolate and vanilla were the flavors I tried, they were pretty good. this was when I officially decided that I do not care for vanilla protein drinks. really good stuff, kinda okay price, not really though... After about two weeks I started to think 'Ehhhhh' every time I had one, so I stopped.

Muscle Milk- tried the Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Banana, and Cookies and Cream. They were all extremely good flavor wise, although sometimes I thought they were a little too sweet. These are perhaps my favorite of RTD protein drinks, it also helps that they are available at every grocery store and gas station where I live, ice cold. I really don't have anything negative to say about their products. Pepsi Bottling Co. is their distributor down here, which makes getting it very easy and convenient. however, I also think they are probably one of the highest cost RTD drinks out there.

I would love to test your RTD proteins... I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of your products, and your Customer Service quality.

What flavors do you think you will come out with???

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
RTD's -

2. Skip the glass, the soft paper/plastic hybrid container, go with either plastic bottle (Oh yeah for example, or even bottle like endorush, redline, etc). I like the wider mouth, also allows for me to scoop in my own powder, ie ALCAR, creatine, or any other powder. Leave a little room for this and allow for space in case it freezes. In the winter, i leave my rtds in the trunk (New England Weather) so they are nice and chilled when i get to them. Had a bad experience with the isopure rtd's (translation - glass everywhere).
This is a FANTASTIC idea, This would make the easiness of RTD drinks even more easy!

Leaving a little space in the bottle allows for room to shake the bottle when the protein has settled to the bottom. With this in mind, please have a cap that can be screwed back on, it kills me to have to try and get my thumb to cover the opening of some of these cheaply bottled rtd's only to have leakage. Please go woder mouth, with cap :)
God knows, you think companies would have picked up on this a long time ago.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking today that a "night-time" rtd would be nice...gt some micellar casein, goes down smooth, sip it before bed or keep in the fridge for a midnight snack.

cheers!

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any timeframe kicking around yet Eric? Are you looking at a soft container or can?

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not sure yet on the container, I will know more next week.

impulseoctane

impulseoctane

Awards
I'm a huge fan of Isopure's RTDs. The only downside is the bizarre, slimy, awkard after taste. I can't really describe it, it just wasn't good.

I like that they had a zero carb version, those kicked ass when cutting. 40g isolate with 0 fat/carbs? What more could you ask for?

As mentioned previously, the cost is killer. If one bottle costs $5, and a case of 12 costs $60, it doesn't make sense.

I'll agree again with the above on skipping the glass, but PLEASE don't do something like Redline or Endorush ... they clank all around and everything in the car. Just make a bottle that fits in a cup holder. IDK why companies are getting away from this. I want my $5 drink to fit my $30,000 cupholder! The METRX cans are a perfect example of a good product design, though there is no cap. Maybe a bottle like ABB uses for their Ripped Force drinks and what not?

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
Great feedback coming guys! Keep the ideas flowing in as you can have an impact on what LG brings to the industry. I know Eric takes your opinions very seriously (hense this thread).

Future

I personally have issues with lactose so anything that could make it easier on the stomach would be great. I do like Isopure...hate to admit it. :)

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's a good product no doubt! Plenty of room for competition and new products/flavors...

GodofWine

GodofWine

Awards
My two main concerns (and reasons I almost never buy an RTD) are price and protein quality.

Price is always WAY WAY over what a superior home made blend would provide, and the ease of carry a protein bar of better quality is just as easy, and often much cheaper than an RTD.

Protein quality - is it denatured? is it a bad form of protein...usually it is.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, well the protein won't be denatured, since it would be white then, not clear (trust me) we will use a blend of collagenic and whey protein, which isn't perfect, but great for convenience and taste. I am working on the flavors now, what do you guys think:

Orange
Blue Raspberry
Grape
Fruit Punch

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have tried Muscle Milks RTD and Labradas RTD.

Both were ok IMO. The thing I didnt really like about them was the amount in it, the fat, and some of the flavors were a little lacking IMO.

Some of the flavors were pretty good though, I like how you can instantly grab it and drink no clumps involved and the convienence of it.

I had no idea LG was coming out with a RTD!

impulseoctane

impulseoctane

Awards
Yeah, well the protein won't be denatured, since it would be white then, not clear (trust me) we will use a blend of collagenic and whey protein, which isn't perfect, but great for convenience and taste. I am working on the flavors now, what do you guys think:

Orange
Blue Raspberry
Grape
Fruit Punch
Looks traditional. Not too many variations out there. My only other suggestions would be lemonade and strawberry; but most def. the lemonade. :food:

Future

Orange
Blue Raspberry
Grape
Fruit Punch
Tami suggested pink lemonade and watermlon. I am being crazy here but I have always loved kiwi and the oj/banana from Tropicana.

Just get a bag of Jolly Ranchers and go from there.:lol:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cherry Limeade !

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Can you make a key lime pie flavor to cut down my cravings :)
Oh and I hate the weird taste of Isopure..won't drink them at all.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I really can't drink Isopure either, but it is 100% pure whey isolate, or which there is something to say. Still, I will take something I can drink for the convenience vs. the perfect whey drink

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Convenience drinks are awesome. Especially for people like me with kids. I'm always on the go.

phantom

Awards
  • Established
Was thinkn of the new protein blend and remembered this-any new update on the fruit rtd's?The flavors that were mentioned being worked on sounded really good! This can def be a big hit

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
They taste good so far, we are ready to do a larger pilot run. We have

Orange/Tangerine
Watermelon Kiwi
Blue Raspberry
Lemon/Lime

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ready to pilot these!!

phantom

Awards
  • Established
Very nice flavors! Lookin forward to tryin this

itzgambino

Awards
Well since being a college student I resort to RTD's quite frequently since I work at the mall and GNC is right there.

I have had the Muscle Milk regular & light, Labrada Lean Body RTD, Isopure, OH Yeah!, GNC's RTD just to name a few.
1) My first problem is the lack of diversity, most of them either are high in sat fat like Muscle Milk, or have a relatively high carb count. Being on a low carb diet I found myself living off the Lean Body's because they were the only one that had good fiber content accounting for lots of the carbs. But even the lean body RTD's had a rather high saturated fat content.
2) Price! - The markup on RTD's are quite insane to me. Paying between 4-5$ is pretty high considering you can get a shake from the gym with fruit, glutamine or whatever else they have to add to it for $4 by me. Sometime you just need to pick up an RTD because you forgot your own protein or need a quick protein shot and it really hurts to have to pay $5 a bottle almost. Even buying them in cases is still really expensive.
3) Mixability- I can never seem to get most of the shakes to completely mix well. Muscle Milks and Lean Body's never seem to mix completely and there ends up being a small glob on the bottom of the bottle. And of course most bottles have the small ass opening so you cannot even get those last couple of drops out. If I am paying 5 dollars for a protein drink I atleast want to be able to drink every last drop!
4) Flavors - chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, cookies &cream. These basically are the only flavors really available except for Muscle Milk of course. It would be nice to see some refreshing flavors like those mentioned above.

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
Well since being a college student I resort to RTD's quite frequently since I work at the mall and GNC is right there.

I have had the Muscle Milk regular & light, Labrada Lean Body RTD, Isopure, OH Yeah!, GNC's RTD just to name a few.
1) My first problem is the lack of diversity, most of them either are high in sat fat like Muscle Milk, or have a relatively high carb count. Being on a low carb diet I found myself living off the Lean Body's because they were the only one that had good fiber content accounting for lots of the carbs. But even the lean body RTD's had a rather high saturated fat content.
2) Price! - The markup on RTD's are quite insane to me. Paying between 4-5$ is pretty high considering you can get a shake from the gym with fruit, glutamine or whatever else they have to add to it for $4 by me. Sometime you just need to pick up an RTD because you forgot your own protein or need a quick protein shot and it really hurts to have to pay $5 a bottle almost. Even buying them in cases is still really expensive.
3) Mixability- I can never seem to get most of the shakes to completely mix well. Muscle Milks and Lean Body's never seem to mix completely and there ends up being a small glob on the bottom of the bottle. And of course most bottles have the small ass opening so you cannot even get those last couple of drops out. If I am paying 5 dollars for a protein drink I atleast want to be able to drink every last drop!
4) Flavors - chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, cookies &cream. These basically are the only flavors really available except for Muscle Milk of course. It would be nice to see some refreshing flavors like those mentioned above.
Thanks for the input man!

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Coming along nicely. We should have some samples to send out in the next two weeks. Flavors:

Tangerine
Watermelon/Kiwi
Blue Rasp
Lemon/Lime

bprado

Awards
waooo, i dont see this thread, Proteins with a diferent flavor, should be good!!!!

ahhhhh, its a shame i live in Panama and i cant test it!!

:(

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coming along nicely. We should have some samples to send out in the next two weeks. Flavors:

Tangerine
Watermelon/Kiwi
Blue Rasp
Lemon/Lime
Im thinking I should test these Eric ;), watermelon/kiwi , lemon/lime...mmmmmmmmmmm, should be to die for!

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
DEFINITELY stay away from those damn glass bottle like Isopure. it's not convenient or safe carrying around a bottle that'll shatter and shoot shards into your shin if you drop it on the ground.

that wide-mouth opening is a good idea that DeerDeer mentioned. i can think of VPX's "Bang" RTD or a bottle of POWERade Zero. this make it both easily chuggable and accessable to add stuff, and can be reusable in a pinch.

for flavors, i would go with standards like grape, fruit punch, orange, and maybe some exotics like pina colada, kiwi strawberry, and watermelon. but definitely keep with the clear fuity flavors.

p.s.

PLEASE PICK ME FOR A TESTER :)

*EDIT* just saw the flavor list- spot on. i can't wait, and hopefully i can run these for you guys!

xink

Awards
  • Established
I'm kind of curious, but why only 40, why not go for ~50?

That aside, the flavors sound great and definitely worth checking out - good luck guys!

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
I'm kind of curious, but why only 40, why not go for ~50?

That aside, the flavors sound great and definitely worth checking out - good luck guys!
i think 50 is overkill.

heck, 40 is plenty. i usually only take in about 25-30 g per serving.

itzgambino

Awards
is the protein gonna be the lipotronic (I prob spelt it wrong lol) or another type?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would love to see an RTD with some good hydrolysates. I don't drink RTDs much because of the price difference between them and powders, and I dislike their macronutrient profiles in general. However, if a higher quality protein rtd were offered, I certainly check it out - especially if it contained some good hyrdrolysates; I've been looking for a good affordable source for those.